TWRP 3.7.x for Nokia 6.1 (PL2) - work in progress

Search This thread

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
First of all: as the time of this update (Feb. 27, 2024) there still is no fully working TWRP build for our Nokia 6.1 "2018" (PL2) - all builds have shortcomings! Even though by now TWRP 3.7.1 w/ potential Android 12.1 and up compatibility (and before TWRP 3.6.0 w/ potential A. 11, followed by TWRP 3.7.0 w/ potential A. A. 11 & 12.1 compatibility) has been released, the best builds (= the ones with the least amount of bugs) we can use are two TWRP 3.7.0 compiles for other Nokia phones (the closest siblings to our device), however both targeted for only the old Android 9, as indicated by the _9.0 after the major version number, which are:
The installation procedure offered by Sid127 did not work on my Nokia 6.1 model 1043. Even with different 6.1 models, you might be advised to instead proceed with my Instructions below.

I have tested both builds thoroughly with [OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) installed and found most (but not all!) features reliably working. To spare you unnecessary time fiddling around, do read my issue report over in his thread.

I don't know if the differences between the Nokia 6.1 Plus (DRG) and our Nokia 6.1 (Plate 2 aka PL2) have any effect on TWRP, or if a TWRP for a 6.1 Plus can be used for a 6.1 without any adaptations. I encourage everybody who has a Android 11+ ROM installed on their Nokia 6.1 to install Sid127's 3.7.0 TWRP with my instructions, then test and report back below.

Installation Instructions for Nokia 6.1 (adapted from Sid127's original procedure)

1. Download 3.7.0_9-0 img from the official TWRP for DRG_sprout downloads page (not the 3.7.0_9-0 zip, and above all not the 3.7.0_12-0 which is unsupported, even by the official TWRP team!)

2. Download the launcher scripts .zip for your OS, Windows or macOS, attached to this post. Extract 'boot xyz twrp' and place it "next" to (= into the same folder as) the downloaded image file

3. Boot your Nokia to Download (aka bootloader/ fastboot) Mode

4. Connect it to your computer with a USB cable

5. Double-click the launcher script (you can disregard the error)

6. Head to TWRP's "Advanced" section and tap onto "Flash Current TWRP" (info)

7. Sid127 has not included the "Fix Recovery Bootloop" option in the "Advanced" section. In case you're getting a off/on flashing TWRP screen when trying to reboot into recovery at this step, also perform steps 8 - 11:

8. Download Raghu Varna's TWRP 3.4.0 for Nokia 6.1 image file

9. From the launcher scripts .zip you downloaded before, extract 'boot twrp-3.4.0-0-PL2_sprout-11.0-20200909' and place it "next" to (= into the same folder as) the downloaded image file

10. Double-click the launcher script (you can disregard the error)

11. In TWRP, go into the "Advanced" section and select the "Fix Recovery Bootloop" option

12. Head over to the "Reboot" option and reboot to Recovery

TWRP should boot. If it does: well done :)

13. Optional: now flash Magisk if you want root, recommended from its release section on GitHub, or otherwise the latest "Canary" (= pre-release) version: direct-download always latest apk | latest version information. Iinstall the .apk via TWRP, then boot into your ROM and also install the .apk there.

ATTENTION: the installed TWRP will be lost if you update your ROM or flash another ROM, and the process (incl. re-installing Magisk via TWRP) has to be repeated thereafter!

BUGS & possible work-arounds:

1. When trying to restore or format System, you get Error 1 or similar
    Try: Settings > tick "Use rm-rf instead of formatting" > try again.
    If successful, revert that setting back to default afterwards and try if you can now format and even restore the regular way

Attachments

• Windows launcher scripts 2022-03-14.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 207
  • twrp-3.4.0-0-PL2_sprout-11.0-20200909.txz
    30.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Mac launcher scripts 2024-02-26.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Raghu varma

Mar 22, 2017
Hyderabad
Sid127 has skillfully adapted TWRP 3.6.0 for compatibility with the Nokia 6.1 Plus, see [OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.6.0 | DRG/DRG_sprout support thread. Which is great, because TWRP added Android 11 compatibility, see TWRP 3.6.0 Released (Nov 28, 2021).

I have tested his build thoroughly on my Nokia 6.1 (model 1043) with LineageOS 18.1 [OFFICIAL] installed and found all except one thing fully working, see my report over in his thread.

I do not know if the differences between the Nokia 6.1 Plus (DRG) and our Nokia 6.1 (Plate 2 aka PL2) have any effect on TWRP, or if a TWRP for a 6.1 Plus can be used for a 6.1 without any adaptations. @Raghu varma @Sid127 @theimpulson , what do you know or think?

I encourage everybody who has an Android 11 ROM installed on their Nokia 6.1 to test Sid127's 3.6.0 TWRP, and report back below. Esp. more data about the "TWRP not seeing SD if formatted as and chosen as sole Internal" issue as outlined in my post over in Sid127's thread would be of great value.

Official TWRP for Nokia 6.1 references:
Sounds good ! but according to my view till Android 11, majority of the twrp files ( unofficial/official ) or whatever files should work with proper decryption/backup support. Anyway the real game begins from Android 12 twrp support with decryption. Until that no comments.. !!

Reactions: RootedLee

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
@Raghu varma just to let you know: in Sid127's boot twrp-3.6.0_9-0-DRG_sprout.img, "Fix Recovery Bootloop" is missing in the Advanced section...

Last edited:

RootedLee

Sep 1, 2017
Nokia 6.1 TWRP 3.6.0/ 3.4.0 USB OTG Instructions

Best results you will have if

a) your Nokia is (close to) fully charged, and​
b) you use a USB flash storage with low power consumption, like a regular USB flash drive​
c) you use a USB C flash drive so you can connect it directly, rather than via a USB C OTG adapter​

ATTENTION: on my Nokia 6.1 model 1043, USB OTG does not always turn on reliably every time. Often it needs several attempts before I see the LED on any of my flash drives light up.

When I connect them booted into my ROM (LineageOS 18.1 [Android 11]), they are always detected right away, so it's definitely an issue with TWRP not always initiating USB OTG, for some reason.

Also be aware that USB OTG does not work at all if TWRP is booted "live" without flashing.

In this example, slots are filled as follows:
A = active slot with ROM + TWRP 3.6.0 installed as Recovery Ramdisk (via Advanced > Flash Current TWRP), to enable booting into TWRP rather than the ROM's built-in recovery if choosing to boot into recovery
B = slot with TWRP flashed to boot, so it boots directly when booting up in that slot

Method A: With the device powered off and (via USB cable) connected to a power source, either one of your computer's USB ports or plugged into your charger, hold the Volume Up + Power keys. Keep holding both buttons until the “TWRP” logo appears on the screen, then release the Power key first, followed by the Volume Up key.

Once TWRP has booted all the way, disconnect your Nokia from your power source and connect it to your USB storage device. If it is equipped with a LED, you should see it light up.

Continue below at "Mutual steps"
---------
OR Method B (more complicated but in my trials better chance for success):

Connect your Nokia to your computer via USB and boot it into bootloader
fastboot --set-active=b (sets B as active slot)
fastboot reboot
-> should boot into TWRP
Once TWRP has booted all the way, disconnect your Nokia from your power source and connect it to your USB storage device. If it is equipped with a LED, you should see it light up.
"Mount" button -> USB OTG
"Reboot" button -> set Current Slot to A
still in Reboot -> tap onto "Recovery"
TWRP should boot on slot A
---------
Mutual steps:
Mount: USB OTG might already be auto-mounted. If not, try to mount. Also mount System
Backups -> select Storage: USB OTG
Backups should work. To verify, do a test Backup followed by Restore of Boot/ System/ Data, then boot System = into your ROM for verification.

Ta-daaaa :)

Last edited:
Reactions: qounik

imarxda

Mar 11, 2022
Sid127 has skillfully adapted TWRP 3.6.0 for compatibility with the Nokia 6.1 Plus, see [OFFICIAL] TWRP 3.6.0 | DRG/DRG_sprout support thread. Which is great, because TWRP added Android 11 compatibility, see TWRP 3.6.0 Released (Nov 28, 2021).

His installation procedure did not work on my Nokia 6.1 model 1043. Even with different models, you are advised to instead better proceed with my Instructions below!

I have tested his build thoroughly with [OFFICIAL] LineageOS 18.1 (Android 11) installed and found most (but not all!) featured reliably working. To spare you unnecessary time fiddling around, do read my report over in his thread.

I do not know if the differences between the Nokia 6.1 Plus (DRG) and our Nokia 6.1 (Plate 2 aka PL2) have any effect on TWRP, or if a TWRP for a 6.1 Plus can be used for a 6.1 without any adaptations. @Raghu varma @Sid127 @theimpulson , what do you know or think?

I encourage everybody who has an Android 11 ROM installed on their Nokia 6.1 to install Sid127's 3.6.0 TWRP with my instructions, then test and report back below. Esp. more data about the "TWRP not seeing SD if formatted as and chosen as sole Internal" issue as outlined in my post over in Sid127's thread would be of great value.

Installation Instructions for Nokia 6.1 (adapted from Sid127's original procedure)

1. Download the latest TWRP img file (not the .zip!) from the official TWRP for DRG_sprout downloads page

2. Download the launcher scripts .zip for your OS, Windows or macOS, attached to this post. Extract 'boot twrp-3.6.0_9-0-DRG_sprout' and place it "next" to (= into the same folder as) the downloaded image file

3. Boot your Nokia to Download (aka bootloader/ fastboot) Mode

4. Connect it to your computer with a USB cable

5. Double-click the launcher script (you can disregard the error)

6. Head to TWRP's "Advanced" section and tap onto "Flash Current TWRP" (info)

7. Sid127 has not included the "Fix Recovery Bootloop" option in the "Advanced" section. I'm always getting a off/on flashing TWRP screen when I try to reboot into recovery at this step. Therefore:

8. Download Raghu Varna's TWRP 3.4.0 for Nokia 6.1 img file

9. From the launcher scripts .zip you downloaded before, extract 'boot twrp-3.4.0-0-PL2_sprout-11.0-20200909' and place it "next" to (= into the same folder as) the downloaded image file

10. Double-click the launcher script (you can disregard the error)

11. In TWRP, go into the "Advanced" section and select the "Fix Recovery Bootloop" option

12. Head over to the "Reboot" option and reboot to Recovery

TWRP should boot. If it does: well done :)

13. Optional: now flash Magisk if you want root, recommended from its release section on GitHub, or otherwise the latest "Canary" (= pre-release) version: direct-download always latest apk | latest version information. In any case, rename the .apk to .zip to install via TWRP, then boot into your ROM and install the .apk.

ATTENTION: the installed TWRP will be lost if you update your ROM or flash another ROM, and the process (incl. re-installing Magisk via TWRP) has to be repeated then!

• Wow
Reactions: RootedLee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have tested his build thoroughly on my Nokia 6.1 (model 1043) with LineageOS 18.1 [OFFICIAL] installed and found all except one thing fully working, see my report over in his thread.

I encourage everybody who has an Android 11 ROM installed on their Nokia 6.1 to test Sid127's 3.6.0 TWRP, and report back below. Esp. more data about the "TWRP not seeing SD if formatted as and chosen as sole Internal" issue as outlined in my post over in Sid127's thread would be of great value.

Official TWRP for Nokia 6.1 references:
    Sounds good ! but according to my view till Android 11, majority of the twrp files ( unofficial/official ) or whatever files should work with proper decryption/backup support. Anyway the real game begins from Android 12 twrp support with decryption. Until that no comments.. !!
    Nokia 6.1 TWRP 3.6.0/ 3.4.0 USB OTG Instructions

Best results you will have if

a) your Nokia is (close to) fully charged, and​
    b) you use a USB flash storage with low power consumption, like a regular USB flash drive​
    c) you use a USB C flash drive so you can connect it directly, rather than via a USB C OTG adapter​

ATTENTION: on my Nokia 6.1 model 1043, USB OTG does not always turn on reliably every time. Often it needs several attempts before I see the LED on any of my flash drives light up.

When I connect them booted into my ROM (LineageOS 18.1 [Android 11]), they are always detected right away, so it's definitely an issue with TWRP not always initiating USB OTG, for some reason.

Also be aware that USB OTG does not work at all if TWRP is booted "live" without flashing.

In this example, slots are filled as follows:
    A = active slot with ROM + TWRP 3.6.0 installed as Recovery Ramdisk (via Advanced > Flash Current TWRP), to enable booting into TWRP rather than the ROM's built-in recovery if choosing to boot into recovery
    B = slot with TWRP flashed to boot, so it boots directly when booting up in that slot

Method A: With the device powered off and (via USB cable) connected to a power source, either one of your computer's USB ports or plugged into your charger, hold the Volume Up + Power keys. Keep holding both buttons until the “TWRP” logo appears on the screen, then release the Power key first, followed by the Volume Up key.

Continue below at "Mutual steps"
    ---------
    OR Method B (more complicated but in my trials better chance for success):

Connect your Nokia to your computer via USB and boot it into bootloader
    fastboot --set-active=b (sets B as active slot)
    fastboot reboot
    -> should boot into TWRP
    "Mount" button -> USB OTG
    "Reboot" button -> set Current Slot to A
    still in Reboot -> tap onto "Recovery"
    TWRP should boot on slot A
    ---------
    Mutual steps:
    Mount: USB OTG might already be auto-mounted. If not, try to mount. Also mount System
    Backups -> select Storage: USB OTG
    Backups should work. To verify, do a test Backup followed by Restore of Boot/ System/ Data, then boot System = into your ROM for verification.

Ta-daaaa :)