[TWRP] A8M Ported Moto One 5G Ace TWRP (An Experimental Work In Progress)

Search This thread

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
The file init.recovery.qcom.rc defines the service and when it should be ran. Just need to find a more appropriate trigger I guess. Looks to me like it should start working if you connect it to a computer.
When I connect it to the computer, nothing changes.
The touch panel does not work on the password input screen.
You cannot enter the password without an otg mouse.
It may work if I add the missing module like other recoveries.
However, I am unable to provide the missing modules.

Last edited:
When I connect it to the computer, nothing changes.
The touch panel does not work on the password input screen.
You cannot enter the password without an otg mouse.
It may work if I add the missing module like other recoveries.
However, I am unable to provide the missing modules.
Dude that's super easy to get by.... Ready for this.... Take the screen lock and switch to swipe. Reboot, have reboot, adb back into fastboot from there, boot recovery and it won't ask for a password. Unless it's from when you set up the phone, but I never set a password when setting up and the password for twrp has always been current screen lock

• Angry
Reactions: PEACH-PIT

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
Dude that's super easy to get by.... Ready for this.... Take the screen lock and switch to swipe. Reboot, have reboot, adb back into fastboot from there, boot recovery and it won't ask for a password. Unless it's from when you set up the phone, but I never set a password when setting up and the password for twrp has always been current screen lock
That way the protection of the device will be lost.
On top of that, it does not solve the problem that the touch panel does not work on protected devices and passwords and patterns cannot be entered.
It is only a temporary workaround.

The touch panel will certainly work that way.
But then there is no need to even set up a swipe.
It is enough to set it so that there is no protection whatsoever.

Last edited:
That way the protection of the device will be lost.
On top of that, it does not solve the problem that the touch panel does not work on protected devices and passwords and patterns cannot be entered.
It is only a temporary workaround.

The touch panel will certainly work that way.
But then there is no need to even set up a swipe.
It is enough to set it so that there is no protection whatsoever.
You misunderstand, your lock screen. Set that to no password, no gesture, no finger print, no face detect, just swipe to unlock the phone. It will be in your hands the whole time can turn on after done, it doesn't open up the phone to any harm, that you don't cause yourself. It's not a permanent fix, not at all isn't meant to be, you'll still need otg mouse, and I think it's a good option while testing. I'll let you know in a little bit how it went.

Second thought, twrp installed I know can decrypt the phone, never had to boot from adb as a means, the screen lock is the thing twrp is asking for, not to decrypt the device that would be just twrps default thing to say, with the protected devices it wants the screen lock because it's encrypted an uses that to log in as you, so files get decrypted by "user" it doesn't permanently decrypt.

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
You misunderstand, your lock screen. Set that to no password, no gesture, no finger print, no face detect, just swipe to unlock the phone. It will be in your hands the whole time can turn on after done, it doesn't open up the phone to any harm, that you don't cause yourself. It's not a permanent fix, not at all isn't meant to be, you'll still need otg mouse, and I think it's a good option while testing. I'll let you know in a little bit how it went.

Second thought, twrp installed I know can decrypt the phone, never had to boot from adb as a means, the screen lock is the thing twrp is asking for, not to decrypt the device that would be just twrps default thing to say, with the protected devices it wants the screen lock because it's encrypted an uses that to log in as you, so files get decrypted by "user" it doesn't permanently decrypt.

I don't know what you are talking about.
It's a given that if you remove all protection from the device, you won't need to enter a password or pattern even when starting twrp.
You don't have to go to the trouble of unprotecting it, you can just use the mouse.
What I am pointing out is that if patterns or passwords are set on your device, there is a bug that prevents you from entering passwords or patterns from the touch panel when you run twrp.
Unprotecting the device does not mean that you have solved these problems.

Last edited:
the lock screen has nothing to do with the file encryption. twrp needs you password,pin,gesture to see the files because only the user can see the files, and becausse of security everything is not readable by outsiders, so giving the "keys" to your phone is really just turning off the lock screen. then having twrp use its magic to "sign-in" so that you can see them unencrypted. again no need to turn off anything that could open anymore risk than we have already just to be at this point

• Angry
the lock screen has nothing to do with the file encryption. twrp needs you password,pin,gesture to see the files because only the user can see the files, and becausse of security everything is not readable by outsiders, so giving the "keys" to your phone is really just turning off the lock screen. then having twrp use its magic to "sign-in" so that you can see them unencrypted. again no need to turn off anything that could open anymore risk than we have already just to be at this point. everyone had touch issues on the moto g stlyus, i didnt, litteraly everyone but me. i also didnt flash in fastbootd, like it says to, i went thru bootloader with no screen lock, worked perfect

un
That's just the patched kernel, not the recovery or an archive. If you really want play with it, here's it built:
Just keep in mind this is SyberHexen's work and it's unfinished/unreleased.
unfinished? i dont see where. everything, including touch (after inputing password with otg touch does return) i can mount and see where phone is having issues with the logcat and dmesg in terminal. i can see file systems, havent modified anything yet but i am half tempted to flash and take a leap of faith.

I can confirm everything is as close to a offical build as i can tell, been using twrp since the very begining and am stoked this was uploaded thank you

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
the lock screen has nothing to do with the file encryption. twrp needs you password,pin,gesture to see the files because only the user can see the files, and becausse of security everything is not readable by outsiders, so giving the "keys" to your phone is really just turning off the lock screen. then having twrp use its magic to "sign-in" so that you can see them unencrypted. again no need to turn off anything that could open anymore risk than we have already just to be at this point
Thank you for the clarification.
You are talking about the wrong thing.
I'm reporting a bug that if you have PIN, password, pattern, etc. protection on your smartphone, you need to use the mouse to enter them because the touch screen does not work on twrp.

Your answer does not solve the bug.
It's just one of the workarounds you can find on Google.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification.
You are talking about the wrong thing.
I'm reporting a bug that if you have PIN, password, pattern, etc. protection on your smartphone, you need to use the mouse to enter them because the touch screen does not work on twrp.

Your answer does not solve the bug.
It's just one of the workarounds you can find on Google.
I'm talking the lock screen on your phone. I use a pattern as vs twrp uses that to "log in" as the user so the files are decrypted, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the files at all, seeing as the Android os has not loaded yet therefore has not decrypted the he filesystem. Once you're use a mouse via otg to input the correct answer depending on screen lock, touch in fact works right away. My phone was stuclb on the manufacturer logo, but touching the fingerprint reader would react normal and you could turn screen on and off, using this twrp it allowed me to find the problem (slot a was active but trying to load slot b to boot way easy fix) once booted I actually now have rw access on phone whereas before my phone was considered a no go, by even me. I have had to flash stock 4 times from fastboot. And I'm sorry I do not google my phone issues, I fix them myself, just cause I am not a developer doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two, once you use your mouse via otg try touching the screen. The reason for this is again the filesystem is encrypted until you input this, it is not a bug, there is 2 ways to fix. Factory reset and don't set a screen lock or flash twrp and wipe and format and flash.

• Angry

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
I'm talking the lock screen on your phone. I use a pattern as vs twrp uses that to "log in" as the user so the files are decrypted, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the files at all, seeing as the Android os has not loaded yet therefore has not decrypted the he filesystem. Once you're use a mouse via otg to input the correct answer depending on screen lock, touch in fact works right away. My phone was stuclb on the manufacturer logo, but touching the fingerprint reader would react normal and you could turn screen on and off, using this twrp it allowed me to find the problem (slot a was active but trying to load slot b to boot way easy fix) once booted I actually now have rw access on phone whereas before my phone was considered a no go, by even me. I have had to flash stock 4 times from fastboot. And I'm sorry I do not google my phone issues, I fix them myself, just cause I am not a developer doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two, once you use your mouse via otg try touching the screen. The reason for this is again the filesystem is encrypted until you input this, it is not a bug, there is 2 ways to fix. Factory reset and don't set a screen lock or flash twrp and wipe and format and flash.
If you don't intend to report bugs or fix them, please don't waste any more time replying.
Neither you nor I are developers.
The only thing we can do is report bugs.
And I'm sure everyone has already tried the workarounds you're talking about.
I don't need to be told.

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Hey guys. To get confidence in what I'm doing, I took an old Moto G5S Plus (sanders) and managed to compile a fully working TWRP for it. There were some issues I had to overcome, but in the end it worked. I used it to flash ArrowOS 11 on it. Works like a charm!

Anyway, that was an older phone and I suppose some things were easier back then. However, since I didn't have experience in this kind of development, this experiment was a useful step forward in building a fully functional TWRP for Moto G 5G. We'll see how things will proceed in the next weeks. I hope next weekend I'll manage to find time for this.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
The build was successful.
Unfortunately, this is not working.
The driver taken from the smartphone itself is not enough.
The touch panel does not work because the driver for the touch panel in recovery mode is missing.
Probably it has to be done like the moto g 5g plus twrp.
It is not possible to port moto g 5g plus drivers to moto g 5g.
It was too difficult to figure out for me.
And this was my initial problem when I built the TWRP. I tried porting from NAIRO and it went nowhere. The guys that made that told me privately they made the modules to make the touchscreen work.

I rooted the file and copied it using file explorer.
However, there should be no need to copy the firmware because it is loaded from the main unit using load_modules.sh.

I think the touch panel does not work with twrp because load_modules.sh is not working.
I don't think it will work unless you modify the touch panel related part of load_modules.sh.
It's too difficult for me to figure out what to do.
The issue is that the files we need are not in the folders. I studied all the folders from our variant vs the Moto One 5G and we are missing half the files they have in their TWRP to make it functional.

Hey guys. To get confidence in what I'm doing, I took an old Moto G5S Plus (sanders) and managed to compile a fully working TWRP for it. There were some issues I had to overcome, but in the end it worked. I used it to flash ArrowOS 11 on it. Works like a charm!

Anyway, that was an older phone and I suppose some things were easier back then. However, since I didn't have experience in this kind of development, this experiment was a useful step forward in building a fully functional TWRP for Moto G 5G. We'll see how things will proceed in the next weeks. I hope next weekend I'll manage to find time for this.

Earn the wings to Moto heaven sir!

un

unfinished? i dont see where. everything, including touch (after inputing password with otg touch does return) i can mount and see where phone is having issues with the logcat and dmesg in terminal. i can see file systems, havent modified anything yet but i am half tempted to flash and take a leap of faith.

I can confirm everything is as close to a offical build as i can tell, been using twrp since the very begining and am stoked this was uploaded thank you
First off, it's HIGHLY UNSTABLE.
Second off, I literally just tried it and tried flashing @lebigmac's script for R/W access on hoots and giggles and the TWRP crashed. Reboots itself and freezes at the touchscreen. That isn't whatI'd call "official".
Third off, if it is crashing on a little script that runs just fine in shell commands on linux, OS, and Windows, I think it would completely brick a phone flashing a rom.

So cool your jets. There is nothing to be stoked about yet. We are literally back at the drawing board with a functional TWRP with touch that STILL doesn't fully work.

PEACH-PIT

Jan 22, 2018
The issue is that the files we need are not in the folders. I studied all the folders from our variant vs the Moto One 5G and we are missing half the files they have in their TWRP to make it functional.
That's not true.
The minimum files required to make the touch panel work are available.
However, if a password, pin, or pattern is set on the device, the touch panel will not work.
This is because the files necessary for the touch panel to function cannot be read or written without removing the protection.
The proof is that if you set the terminal to unprotected and start twrp, or use the otg mouse to enter the password, pin, and pattern only on the first screen of twrp, and then unprotect it, the touch panel will work without any problem.

There is no point in using the twrp porting tool.
If you can make a minimally functional twrp with that tool, no one will have any trouble.

Reactions: bobbyp1086
I was referring to the file comparison between the Moto One 5G and the Moto One 5G ACe. Again, I said the guys that made their TWRP made their modules to get everything working while I don't know how to do that nor do any of you, lol. So what we need to figure is how did they remove the protection and create them.
That's not true.
However, if a password, pin, or pattern is set on the device, the touch panel will not work.
This is because the files necessary for the touch panel to function cannot be read or written without removing the protection.
The proof is that if you set the terminal to unprotected and start twrp, or use the otg mouse to enter the password, pin, and pattern only on the first screen of twrp, and then unprotect it, the touch panel will work without any problem.

If you can make a minimally functional twrp with that tool, no one will have any trouble.
I was referring to the file comparison between the Moto One 5G and the Moto One 5G ACe. Again, I said the guys that made their TWRP made their modules to get everything working while I don't know how to do that nor do any of you, lol. So what we need to figure is how did they remove the protection and create them.

Tomspector

Oct 14, 2018

Why don't you ask them to make the twrp for our ace or send me all the files and I will work on it. I finally have time to do it and yes I do code for a living.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Guys, I made it. Here it is: google drive

I haven't fully tested it yet, so don't flash it and don't use it for anything serious.

But the touchscreen works!

I'll test it and post when it's ready for serious things. This weekend I'll try to clean some things up and upload everything to github with instructions in order to support further development by the community.
    That's not true.

During the next few weeks I plan to post some tutorials on how to compile kernel for this specific phone and how to build TWRP with support for touchscreen. Hopefully this will motivate others to get more involved in development.

But I'm afraid that, at least for now, I will not be able to help much with building android itself since my PC is not powerful enough. And with the current chip shortage the prices for new computers are rather high. We'll see.
    Follow the following at your own risk! I am not responsible for any mishaps with your devices. This will NOT obviously work for Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket phones.

Okay, So I've been asking questions, playing, unpacking, and repacking, trying tools, etc. And I got a very experimental port of TWRP happening. VERY EXPERIMENTAL.

THINGS TO KNOW AFTER THE EXCITEMENT DIES DOWN:
    For starters, yes THIS DOES BOOT TO TWRP! I'm quite proud about that. This is my first ever port of anything like this. I mostly just fiddle with making bootable stock roms, and not too much since Android 9 and this new nuts file system. Anyway, I set out to try and get a TWRP together for this phone and that happened, so I'm proud of myself I didn't get discouraged.

Having said that, it has ZERO touchscreen functionality. From my research this was also an initial problem for the peeps over at the Moto One 5G Plus variant (Nairo) before they worked out the bugs. Hopefully they will take mercy on us and come give some feedback.

Also, this is a port. I used @Hovatek's Qualcomm tool to accomplish this since unpacking, repacking, copying and pasting a port from Nairo in the Carliv Image Kitchen or Android Image Kitchen just soft bricked my phone. It also doesn't help the traditional porting methods prior to Android 9 don't work anymore. They came up with a great tool, Gawd Bless Em'.

Should you try this for hoots and giggles just know you will have to hard reset. Android will force a factory reset because of the vbmeta flashing, and your phone will be factory brand spanking new. Backup your contacts, pics, messages, and anything else you want to keep just in case.

I'm not going to put detailed instructions on this just yet since it's experimental - this is really for folks that know what they're doing with their phone.

Notes:
    You must have the bootloader unlocked and be rooted with Magisk for this to fly. Can't say how this would work on locked bootloaders without root so proceed cautiously on that.

1. Flash VBmeta first. The VBMeta is a blank file and that's to make sure DM-Verity isn't acting up (which as of now I'm 50% certain it is and that's why I had to go ahead and factory reset). The commands to disbale dm-verity didn't work for me. If anybody knows how to get that shut off please add to the discussion.

2. I didn't replace my original recovery. I just did fastboot boot recovery image to see if it would load. I wouldn't advise flashing it to replace the current recovery as it might seriously bootloop.

If anybody wants to try and work on this with me (or take over since I'm a hobbyist at best) then by all means share. But at least now we're getting somewhere, slowly but surely.

Today was a good day in hacking Android 10 on this phone.

Guys, I made it. Here it is: google drive

I haven't fully tested it yet, so don't flash it and don't use it for anything serious.

But the touchscreen works!

I'll test it and post when it's ready for serious things. This weekend I'll try to clean some things up and upload everything to github with instructions in order to support further development by the community.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not going to publish the garbage.
    Sure, it can be controlled with an otg mouse, but that doesn't mean it's finished.
    This is the procedure I followed.
    The touch panel does not work. Garbage is output.
    Please tell me what is wrong.

Code:
    mkdir ~/twrp
    cd ~/twrp
    mkdir -p /device/motorola/kiev
    repo init -u git://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni.git -b twrp-10.0
    .repo/repo/repo sync
    The rest. https://github.com/moto-sm7250/android_device_motorola_kiev.git
    to select android10.
    Then copy all of its contents into the kiev folder.
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    export LC_ALL=C
    lunch omni_kiev-eng
    make -j4 recoveryimage 2>&1 | tee twrp_$(date '+%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S').log

That's it.
    You will have a piece of garbage with a non-functioning touch screen.
    I don't know why.
    I was hoping you'd save me bandwidth and time, but nvm. After I compiled and booted it up, I connected to it with adb and ran /system/bin/load_modules.sh. It threw out a bunch of signature errors like this:
    Code:
    insmod: failed to load /vendor/lib/modules/module.ko: Required key not available
    This error means it failed the module signature check because the kernel is stock and signatures are enforced. To address this, I patched the module_sig_check function that looks like this:
    so it just jumps right to 'info->sig_ok = true' rather than checking anything.

Here's my patched kernel:
    After rebuilding with this(place in the prebuilt folder), the touchscreen works as expected.
    This is definitely a step in the right direction for finally getting TWRP to work. I tested the gz and it showed errors. Is it possible the image file is corrupted somehow?
    That's just the patched kernel, not the recovery or an archive. If you really want play with it, here's it built:
    Just keep in mind this is SyberHexen's work and it's unfinished/unreleased.