• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[TWRP] A8M Ported Moto One 5G Ace TWRP (An Experimental Work In Progress)

Search This thread

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
I was referring to the file comparison between the Moto One 5G and the Moto One 5G ACe. Again, I said the guys that made their TWRP made their modules to get everything working while I don't know how to do that nor do any of you, lol. So what we need to figure is how did they remove the protection and create them.
That twrp repo shows exactly how to do it. I had to patch the kernel because that recovery relies on vendor partition with modules signed with different keys for different variants. If you package the required files from /vendor/lib/modules and /vendor/firmware, a matching kernel, and a script to insert them at the appropriate time, the touchscreen will work.

First off, it's HIGHLY UNSTABLE.
Second off, I literally just tried it and tried flashing @lebigmac's script for R/W access on hoots and giggles and the TWRP crashed. Reboots itself and freezes at the touchscreen. That isn't whatI'd call "official".
Third off, if it is crashing on a little script that runs just fine in shell commands on linux, OS, and Windows, I think it would completely brick a phone flashing a rom.

So cool your jets. There is nothing to be stoked about yet. We are literally back at the drawing board with a functional TWRP with touch that STILL doesn't fully work.
I, for hoots, installed a few magisk modules; Frida, lsposed, and magisk in recovery with no issues. But then again as I said.
When you first setup phone using a screen lock encrypts everything, no screen lock doesn't. At least it does for me, after I set a lock next reboot it's encrypted. Booting twrp, before and all is fine.
And basing your opinion on a script that the past 3 versions have rendered phone useless, is awesome.

And to the person talking about the touch screen "bug", just Google it and research you'll soon find it's not a bug, it's encryption. And just because I'm not a developer, 90% of this site isn't that's what's great, doesn't mean that only bugs should be discussed, failures and successes are just as important when testing new programs.

Yes it's not perfect, it does however let you do the basics, and from there with trial and error, get a build that are easier for all.

The troubles you're having are because the script to make rw kills a ton of important files and permissions that pretty soon you'll see it when you're missing files, accounts never stay logged in anymore, installed an app reboot and it's gone. It's killer. Do a fresh flashing of stock ROM, install magisk, boot to twrp, use otg to input pin, pattern or password... Thank me later

Last edited:
I, for hoots, installed a few magisk modules; Frida, lsposed, and magisk in recovery with no issues. But then again as I said.
When you first setup phone using a screen lock encrypts everything, no screen lock doesn't. At least it does for me, after I set a lock next reboot it's encrypted. Booting twrp, before and all is fine.
And basing your opinion on a script that the past 3 versions have rendered phone useless, is awesome.

And to the person talking about the touch screen "bug", just Google it and research you'll soon find it's not a bug, it's encryption. And just because I'm not a developer, 90% of this site isn't that's what's great, doesn't mean that only bugs should be discussed, failures and successes are just as important when testing new programs.

Yes it's not perfect, it does however let you do the basics, and from there with trial and error, get a build that are easier for all.

The troubles you're having are because the script to make rw kills a ton of important files and permissions that pretty soon you'll see it when you're missing files, accounts never stay logged in anymore, installed an app reboot and it's gone. It's killer. Do a fresh flashing of stock ROM, install magisk, boot to twrp, use otg to input pin, pattern or password... Thank me later
I don't fool with Magisk modules. Most are unstable and its a crock of shyte that the developer is trying to sell it as a solution to System as Root. I'll pass outside of basic root.

I don't know what the mumbling you tried explaining means in paragraph 2, but I tried it at the time with lebigmac's newest and latest script. What you don't KNOW is that I'm one of his lead beta testers. So any development he makes before he releases it I test. And none of his newest versions work with that TWRP.

Okay - it's ENCRYPTION. Who can break it?

As far as lebigmac's script, it doesn't kill anything. What it does is switch permissions. That's it. Flashing fresh stock and booting to TWRP is still going to have problems, pin or not.

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
Guys, I made it. Here it is: google drive

I haven't fully tested it yet, so don't flash it and don't use it for anything serious.

But the touchscreen works!

I'll test it and post when it's ready for serious things. This weekend I'll try to clean some things up and upload everything to github with instructions in order to support further development by the community.

Last edited:

h3xmind

Oct 20, 2015
Moto G 5G
During the next few weeks I plan to post some tutorials on how to compile kernel for this specific phone and how to build TWRP with support for touchscreen. Hopefully this will motivate others to get more involved in development.

But I'm afraid that, at least for now, I will not be able to help much with building android itself since my PC is not powerful enough. And with the current chip shortage the prices for new computers are rather high. We'll see.

Reactions: codeOps64
During the next few weeks I plan to post some tutorials on how to compile kernel for this specific phone and how to build TWRP with support for touchscreen. Hopefully this will motivate others to get more involved in development.

But I'm afraid that, at least for now, I will not be able to help much with building android itself since my PC is not powerful enough. And with the current chip shortage the prices for new computers are rather high. We'll see.
Try OfficeMax. They are having a good clearance on some pretty good quad cores. Picked up a nice i5 quad with 3.5ghz and 32gb memory for 500.

atsalchenberg

Aug 1, 2014
Moto G 5G
Moto E (2020)
My flash recovery in the VB meta and it boots to the recovery boot screen and then it resets itself to the system. After doing a little homework it seems to be the VB meta file. How would I go about fixing this? Can I revert to a previously installed version?

My flash recovery in the VB meta and it boots to the recovery boot screen and then it resets itself to the system. After doing a little homework it seems to be the VB meta file. How would I go about fixing this? Can I revert to a previously installed version?
You should start all over from scratch. Just do a clean flash and follow the instructions in the other thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow the following at your own risk! I am not responsible for any mishaps with your devices. This will NOT obviously work for Verizon, AT&T, and Cricket phones.

Okay, So I've been asking questions, playing, unpacking, and repacking, trying tools, etc. And I got a very experimental port of TWRP happening. VERY EXPERIMENTAL.

THINGS TO KNOW AFTER THE EXCITEMENT DIES DOWN:
    For starters, yes THIS DOES BOOT TO TWRP! I'm quite proud about that. This is my first ever port of anything like this. I mostly just fiddle with making bootable stock roms, and not too much since Android 9 and this new nuts file system. Anyway, I set out to try and get a TWRP together for this phone and that happened, so I'm proud of myself I didn't get discouraged.

Having said that, it has ZERO touchscreen functionality. From my research this was also an initial problem for the peeps over at the Moto One 5G Plus variant (Nairo) before they worked out the bugs. Hopefully they will take mercy on us and come give some feedback.

Also, this is a port. I used @Hovatek's Qualcomm tool to accomplish this since unpacking, repacking, copying and pasting a port from Nairo in the Carliv Image Kitchen or Android Image Kitchen just soft bricked my phone. It also doesn't help the traditional porting methods prior to Android 9 don't work anymore. They came up with a great tool, Gawd Bless Em'.

Should you try this for hoots and giggles just know you will have to hard reset. Android will force a factory reset because of the vbmeta flashing, and your phone will be factory brand spanking new. Backup your contacts, pics, messages, and anything else you want to keep just in case.

I'm not going to put detailed instructions on this just yet since it's experimental - this is really for folks that know what they're doing with their phone.

Notes:
    You must have the bootloader unlocked and be rooted with Magisk for this to fly. Can't say how this would work on locked bootloaders without root so proceed cautiously on that.

1. Flash VBmeta first. The VBMeta is a blank file and that's to make sure DM-Verity isn't acting up (which as of now I'm 50% certain it is and that's why I had to go ahead and factory reset). The commands to disbale dm-verity didn't work for me. If anybody knows how to get that shut off please add to the discussion.

2. I didn't replace my original recovery. I just did fastboot boot recovery image to see if it would load. I wouldn't advise flashing it to replace the current recovery as it might seriously bootloop.

If anybody wants to try and work on this with me (or take over since I'm a hobbyist at best) then by all means share. But at least now we're getting somewhere, slowly but surely.

Today was a good day in hacking Android 10 on this phone.
    Hey guys. To get confidence in what I'm doing, I took an old Moto G5S Plus (sanders) and managed to compile a fully working TWRP for it. There were some issues I had to overcome, but in the end it worked. I used it to flash ArrowOS 11 on it. Works like a charm!

Anyway, that was an older phone and I suppose some things were easier back then. However, since I didn't have experience in this kind of development, this experiment was a useful step forward in building a fully functional TWRP for Moto G 5G. We'll see how things will proceed in the next weeks. I hope next weekend I'll manage to find time for this.

Cheers! :)
    Guys, I made it. Here it is: google drive

I haven't fully tested it yet, so don't flash it and don't use it for anything serious.

But the touchscreen works!

I'll test it and post when it's ready for serious things. This weekend I'll try to clean some things up and upload everything to github with instructions in order to support further development by the community.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not going to publish the garbage.
    Sure, it can be controlled with an otg mouse, but that doesn't mean it's finished.
    This is the procedure I followed.
    The touch panel does not work. Garbage is output.
    Please tell me what is wrong.

Code:
    mkdir ~/twrp
    cd ~/twrp
    mkdir -p /device/motorola/kiev
    repo init -u git://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni.git -b twrp-10.0
    .repo/repo/repo sync
    The rest. https://github.com/moto-sm7250/android_device_motorola_kiev.git
    to select android10.
    Then copy all of its contents into the kiev folder.
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    export LC_ALL=C
    lunch omni_kiev-eng
    make -j4 recoveryimage 2>&1 | tee twrp_$(date '+%Y%m%d_%H-%M-%S').log

That's it.
    You will have a piece of garbage with a non-functioning touch screen.
    I don't know why.
    I was hoping you'd save me bandwidth and time, but nvm. After I compiled and booted it up, I connected to it with adb and ran /system/bin/load_modules.sh. It threw out a bunch of signature errors like this:
    Code:
    insmod: failed to load /vendor/lib/modules/module.ko: Required key not available
    This error means it failed the module signature check because the kernel is stock and signatures are enforced. To address this, I patched the module_sig_check function that looks like this:
    so it just jumps right to 'info->sig_ok = true' rather than checking anything.

Here's my patched kernel:
    After rebuilding with this(place in the prebuilt folder), the touchscreen works as expected.
    This is definitely a step in the right direction for finally getting TWRP to work. I tested the gz and it showed errors. Is it possible the image file is corrupted somehow?
    That's just the patched kernel, not the recovery or an archive. If you really want play with it, here's it built:
    Just keep in mind this is SyberHexen's work and it's unfinished/unreleased.