• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP and encryption with KitKat

Search This thread

doveman

Dec 14, 2012
London
In the past I've used CWM but with my new Moto G 2014 Dual SIM, I wanted to use encryption and I read that TWRP works with that, so I installed it but when I boot into it, it doesn't ask me for my password and /data is inaccessible (naturally!). I couldn't see any option to select to enter my password to decrypt it either. I flashed it with TWRP2801-titan-motog-2014.img

I understand that TWRP doesn't support Lollipop encryption yet but thought it did KitKat?

luca020400

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2014
Genoa
In the past I've used CWM but with my new Moto G 2014 Dual SIM, I wanted to use encryption and I read that TWRP works with that, so I installed it but when I boot into it, it doesn't ask me for my password and /data is inaccessible (naturally!). I couldn't see any option to select to enter my password to decrypt it either. I flashed it with TWRP2801-titan-motog-2014.img

I understand that TWRP doesn't support Lollipop encryption yet but thought it did KitKat?

My twrp support kitkat and lollipop encryption
http://forum.xda-developers.com/mot...recovery-twrp-2-8-2-0-touch-recovery-t2979149

Reactions: doveman

doveman

Dec 14, 2012
London

Thanks, that's great. I can't get it to install though, as it shows I already have TWRP 2.8.0.1 installed and when I tap Recover Version to Install it doesn't list anything under Choose Version to Install and if I tap Install Recovery, that doesn't do anything either.

OK, I've installed it via the manual fastboot method now and it shows v2.8.3.0 but I still can't access /data. If I go to Mount and tap /data it doesn't do anything and if I tap /system it restarts TWRP, then locks itself and turns off the screen and when I press the volume buttons to turn it back on, it shows a padlock and a swipe to unlock. When I do that and check Mount, /data and /system are still not mounted.

The log screen shows:
Unable to mount /data
Unable to mount storage
Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup
Full SELinux support is present
Failed to get default contexts and file mode for storage files
Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when trying to read settings file

luca020400

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2014
Genoa
Thanks, that's great. I can't get it to install though, as it shows I already have TWRP 2.8.0.1 installed and when I tap Recover Version to Install it doesn't list anything under Choose Version to Install and if I tap Install Recovery, that doesn't do anything either.

OK, I've installed it via the manual fastboot method now and it shows v2.8.3.0 but I still can't access /data. If I go to Mount and tap /data it doesn't do anything and if I tap /system it restarts TWRP, then locks itself and turns off the screen and when I press the volume buttons to turn it back on, it shows a padlock and a swipe to unlock. When I do that and check Mount, /data and /system are still not mounted.

The log screen shows:
Unable to mount /data
Unable to mount storage
Unable to mount /data/media during GUI startup
Full SELinux support is present
Failed to get default contexts and file mode for storage files
Unable to mount /data/media/TWRP/.twrps when trying to read settings file
Flash this one
https://s.basketbuild.com/filedl/devs?dev=luca020400&dl=luca020400/Motorola/recovery/twrp.img

The official one is bugged

doveman

Dec 14, 2012
London
Just checking if there's any news on this? I'm not sure where TWRP is meant to prompt for the decryption password but I haven't seen any prompt or option for that anywhere.

Top Liked Posts