• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP and Root for Android 8.0 Oreo

Search This thread
I did exactly in your sequence (Open Beta 26) and finally restarted the phone.

Its now stuck (?) on the bootlogo, black background with the oneplus-logo (powered by android)
Nothing happens, since 30 mins approximately.

I repeated the flash (could re-enter TWRP thank god) and end with the same result.
Any help appreciated !

As Vivek posted, do not reboot the device in between. After updating the recovery, reboot to recovery and install SuperSU.
Once you start the steps mentioned, reboot to system only after completing the whole steps.

neil.richard

Jul 28, 2011
Delhi
Hi!
I'm on Oreo Beta and stock recovery.
I feel like reverting to Official nougat, so should I do the following:

Flash the TWRP given in this thread. (via adb)
Format system, data, cache
Install Oxygen OS 4.5.1
Reboot.

Thanks.
Regards.

Greatness_GH

Jul 29, 2012
Hi!
I'm on Oreo Beta and stock recovery.
I feel like reverting to Official nougat, so should I do the following:

Flash the TWRP given in this thread. (via adb)
Format system, data, cache
Install Oxygen OS 4.5.1
Reboot.

Thanks.
Regards.
No. There's a special zip for downgrading from oreo. The normal nougat zip doesn't do well. You'll be left with so many problems if you don't use that zip

Reactions: neil.richard

SP3NGL3R

Apr 10, 2014
Magisk baby. It's Magisk time!

Did you upgrade bootloader or something? Is the earlier bootloop issue fixed now?

No. My full flow was:
1. Oxygen Recovery + OpenBeta26 ("clean") --- 1 week ago
2. TWRP (modified version via ADB) + SuperSU (modified version)
3. dirty flash OpenBeta27 via TWRP --- Yesterday
4. SuperSU via TWRP
5. .... oops, meant to try Magisk beta
6. dirty flash OpenBeta27 via TWRP ... again to clear out SuperSU modifications
7. Magisk 14.3 beta
8. Reboot to glory.
9. Dig through Magisk ZIP to find the APK and confirm everything is green-checks ... yay!
EgEOMyH.jpg
Wkd90co.jpg

Reactions: kapilathi

kapilathi

Feb 11, 2014
No. My full flow was:
1. Oxygen Recovery + OpenBeta26 ("clean") --- 1 week ago
2. TWRP (modified version via ADB) + SuperSU (modified version)
3. dirty flash OpenBeta27 via TWRP --- Yesterday
4. SuperSU via TWRP
5. .... oops, meant to try Magisk beta
6. dirty flash OpenBeta27 via TWRP ... again to clear out SuperSU modifications
7. Magisk 14.3 beta
8. Reboot to glory.
9. Dig through Magisk ZIP to find the APK and confirm everything is green-checks ... yay!
Worked! Thanks.

Reactions: SP3NGL3R

SourPower

Nov 21, 2014
East
after flashing magisk my rom does not boot, without magisk it does. what can be the cause? i enter my pw to unlock and then nothing

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan
Could someone give me a link to a stock oreo compatible recovery, please. Or is it ok to use the twrp oreo recovery? I got a bit confused after reading the thread :)

ImuN

Oct 19, 2015
I use TWRP 3.1.1.2 and dirty flash on OSS 4.1.5 the 5.0 OSS a.k.a oreo ROM then flash Magisk 14.3 witch is beta wait for 20 - 30 minutes with the boot logo and your fine...

musv

Jan 19, 2014
Howto update with official Oneplus Oreo Update

I'm quite a noob to the Android stuff. And I don't have any idea, what Magisk is. But here are the steps I used to update my rooted O+3 from Nougat to Oreo. All the data and configuration keep working. No wipe or formatting necessary.

Requirements:
  • Oneplus 3: rooted, TWRP installed, SuperSU installed. Filesystem encryption is disabled.
  • A PC with any common Linux and Android-Tools installed.

Problem:
The official Update downloads. The phone reboots into TWRP and isn't doing anything there. Trying to flash the official update file found in /sdcard/.OTA fails.

Needed files:

Solution: (Not sure if every step is necessary. I just did it this way.)
  1. Copy the SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip to the phone into the Download folder.
  2. Reboot into TWRP →Install → OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_057_all_1710122310_f5da2d4b1f194f4e.zip
  3. Reboot into the Bootloader and type on your PC terminal:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_op3.img
  4. Reboot the phone and start the official Oneplus Oreo update. It should download, reboot and start the update. The update process should work without problems. After finishing the update:
  5. Reboot into the Bootloader and type on your PC terminal:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP-Oreo-OnePlus-3-3T.img
  6. Reboot into the Recovery Mode. If everything worked correctly TWRP should appear.
  7. In TWRP →Install → SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip

After rebooting into the system the phone should be updated to Oreo, rooted and have a working TWRP.

Xima

Nov 25, 2017
so to install the official oreo update, it's mandatory to have the official recovery ? not possible with TWRP ?
I got an error 7 if I try to flash it with the full update from oneplus support page

Moe9269

Aug 23, 2015
Johannesburg
I have a question... I have a rooted nougat ROM with TWRP, I have notification for new Oreo update from OTA .. WILL it be fine to go ahead with the update or do I first need stock recovery .. ?

munny_sun

Nov 1, 2015
I have a question... I have a rooted nougat ROM with TWRP, I have notification for new Oreo update from OTA .. WILL it be fine to go ahead with the update or do I first need stock recovery .. ?
Flash the stock recovery then update to oreo. Then you can flash oreo complatible twrp and root your device. According to me it is the safest option for updating to oreo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: StakMak99

dunwan

Dec 18, 2017
Worked on Lineages 15 Oneplus One bacon

I was having challenges getting root to work on my Oneplus One after installing LineageOS 15. This version of SuperSu did it for me. Thanks.

7lvlup

Dec 23, 2017
i was doing the steps of the first site without installing super su. I only want to install twrp. But after i flash succesfull TWRP and start android 8 again it seems to install the custom recovery back. So is there an option to install TWRP without root throu super su?

Bjarne73

Sep 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
i was doing the steps of the first site without installing super su. I only want to install twrp. But after i flash succesfull TWRP and start android 8 again it seems to install the custom recovery back. So is there an option to install TWRP without root throu super su?

If I recall right, you have to either root the phone or install a custom kernel. Else the rom will install original recovery.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using XDA Labs

Reactions: 7lvlup

Edo 91

Oct 4, 2012
Every time I reboot on recovery in the advanced reboot menu the twrp goes away and the default recovery displays, is it normal? I have to avoid it in order to keep twrp...

iambo

Jul 9, 2007
Every time I reboot on recovery in the advanced reboot menu the twrp goes away and the default recovery displays, is it normal? I have to avoid it in order to keep twrp...
If you want to keep it you must root your phone after flashing TWRP.

-Flash TWRP.
-Reboot recovery
-Flash Magisk 15.2
-Reboot system
-You are done.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I flashed the latest Open Beta 25 yesterday and it took me some time to figure out how to properly root that. I was searching for a compatible TWRP for Android Oreo and I stumbled upon one when I was reading through pages and pages of comments from our community.

So, I am writing the steps here with the necessary files so that everyone can find it in one place.

This is not my work. All credits go to the original developers. I am just consolidating the steps I followed here. If I am violating any rules, please feel free to close this thread.

Credits:
    @akhilnarang for Modified TWRP
    @Chainfire For SuperSU

Necessary Downloads:
    Oreo Compatible TWRP: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46mMEeAPSYGd3dBbzJhMWJUVE0
    SuperSU Zip: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46mMEeAPSYGV1U3c3JSRmF2dWs

Steps to install TWRP and Root:

Note: My phone was encrypted when I tried this.

1. Copy the downloaded SuperSU Zip file to your phone.
    2. Copy the TWRP file to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed.
    3. Turn off your OnePlus 3/3T. Boot your OnePlus 3/3T into Fasboot mode > Press and hold the Volume Up Button + Power Button.
    4. Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
    5. Open a command window on the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Go to the folder where ADB and Fastboot are installed. Hold down Shift Key > Right Click on the empty space > Choose ‘Open CMD Here’.
    6. Execute the below command in the command window to see if your device is properly connected:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    7. Make sure the TWRP file is in the ADB folder. Execute the below command to install TWRP on your OnePlus 3/3T running Android Oreo:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP-Oreo-OnePlus-3-3T.img
    Do not restart your device upon installation. The procedure is not yet over.
    8. Assuming you are now in Fastboot Mode, use the volume buttons and choose ‘Recovery Mode’ and then press the power button to enter TWRP Recovery.
    9. Once you are in TWRP > Tap on ‘Install’ > Choose the SuperSU Zip file which you have downloaded from above > Swipe right to flash.
    10. Reboot your device.

Let me know if you have any questions/doubts!

Source
    TWRP Oreo 3/3T + open beta 27 + Magisk 14.3 beta == win
    I do remember someone saying that they have successfully flashed magisk. It involves setting SElinux to permissive from bootloader or something. I don't remember it very well. I will update the OP after I dig up that info. :good:
    Yes I have. But it keeps loosing root. And sometimes doesn't boot in one go. I flashed over ob24 without wiping anything.

Steps:
    1. Flash oreo compatible twrp
    2. Flash Oreo OB ROM
    3. Flash DM-Verity and Force Encryption Disabler For OOS Oreo.zip (credit @Xennet) see https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3t/how-to/disable-dm-verity-force-encryption-op3t-t3688748 for attachment
    3. Flash oreo compatible twrp again
    4. Flash oneplus3 bootloader from OOS 3.2.6. (credit @baskaflyfer) see https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74158686&postcount=305 for attachment
    5. Phone off
    6. Power on and go straight to bootloader
    7. Issue the cmand 'fastboot OEM selinux permissive'
    8. Reboot to twrp
    9. Flash magisk
    10. Flash attached oneplus3 bootloader from open beta 25. you can make a zip yourself using @baskaflyfer zip
    11. Flash twrp
    12. Reboot to system

Points to note:
    1. This should work on dirty flash over ob24
    2. Should ensure dm-verity is not triggered
    3. Should leave the data partition as is (unencrypted to unencrypted...or encrypted to encrypted)
    4. Some steps are redundant, but no harm in doing them to be on safe side
    EDIT: 5. flashing the new bootloader again may break magisk. hence removed step 10

Cheers.
    Yes, but isn't Oreo package replacing TWRP with OnePlus recovery?

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

Install the recovery img in TWRP again after the zip. Reboot to recovery to confirm it didn't overwrite TWRP
    Its only possible with oneplus recovery. Trust me.