G

GuestD2559

A. If you are on OOS 10

I. If you are on OOS 10.3.0, OB4, or higher

Prerequisites:

1. Reboot to fastboot mode. Boot to TWRP using the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img
  2. Flash TWRP installer zip. Reboot to recovery.
  3. Flash lastest Magisk. Reboot.

II. If you are on OOS 10.0.0, 10.0.1, OB1, OB2, or OB3

1. Flash OOS 10.3.0 zip or OB4 or higher via local upgrade. Reboot normally. If you are in open beta, keep in mind that your data will be wiped when you update to stable.
  2. Follow method I.

B. If you're coming from OOS 9.0.9 with TWRP and Magisk already installed, and you want to update to OOS 10

1. Make sure you are currently on the latest TWRP and Magisk. Uninstall all your Magisk modules, but not Magisk itself. Reboot.
  2. Open Magisk Manager. Click Uninstall > Restore Images. Do not reboot yet.
    attachment.php

3. Install full OOS update zip file using Local upgrade. Wait until the installation is finished. This might take a while, but you can use your phone normally while it's installing in the background. Do not reboot yet, or else you'll have to follow section A. above.
  4. Open Magisk Manager. Download and install TWRP Retention Script module. Do not reboot yet.
  5. In Magisk Manager main screen, click Install > Install > Install to Inactive Slot. Reboot
    attachment.php

Note: If this method somehow fails for you, follow section A since you are already on OOS 10 after following this method.

C. If you're on OOS 10, and want to apply OTA without losing TWRP, Magisk, and all data

1. Follow section B.

D. If you're on OOS 9.0.8 and below, and you want to update to OOS 10 without losing TWRP, Magisk, and all data

1. Update to OOS 9.0.9 first. Follow section B, but instead of flashing OOS 10 zip, use OOS 9.0.9 zip in local upgrade.
  2. Repeat section B. but this time, flash OOS 10 zip via local upgrade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191211-143126.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-143126.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 14,760
  • Screenshot_20191211-143144.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-143144.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 14,555
Last edited:

SMS786

Nov 2, 2015
First of all, a huge thanks to @mauronofrio who just updated TWRP with Android 10 support

In this method, we will use Magisk 19.4 instead of 20 to keep both TWRP and Magisk installed. Magisk 20 has a known issue where installing it will remove TWRP, so we'll stick to Magisk 19.4.

Prerequisites:

Most of the things here, I shouldn't explain in super complete detail, because most of these things you already know. But still, feel free to ask.

1. Reboot to fastboot mode. Flash TWRP img using the following command;

Code:
    fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-11-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img
  2. From fastboot mode, reboot directly to recovery mode. Now you have a fully working TWRP. If you already have Magisk before following this guide, flash Magisk uninstaller first before proceeding to the next steps. Otherwise, continue below.
  3. In TWRP, flash the stock boot image in boot partition. Don't reboot yet.
  4. Also in TWRP, flash TWRP installer zip then reboot to recovery. If it rebooted to TWRP, congratsyou have a fully working TWRP in Android 10 beta!
  5. In TWRP, flash Magisk 19.4 installer.
  6. Reboot to system. Now you have TWRP and Magisk root together.

Q: I already have Android 10 installed. I don't have TWRP yet (duh) and also am not rooted. Can I follow this without losing my data.

A: Definitely! This is exactly my case. As long as your bootloader is already unlocked.

Moving forward, avoid Magisk 20 and updating Magisk using Magisk Manager, until the issue with TWRP not sticking is fixed.

Many thanks!

Is data decrypt working with this TWRP version?

Reactions: tagari

kyljys

Jan 4, 2010
So what's the step if you're coming from laat beta of pie with magisk 19.4 already?

Installing to 2nd slot method will force magisk v20. Don't use.

Remove magisk and modules, do the upgrade and then follow the instructions in OP.

Though it would be nice to know if this new TWRP was installed first and check if TWRP retention script would work. Then you would need to uninstall magisk modules before first boot. Someone could try this,if it don't work the OP's method will still work.

Last edited:
G

GuestD2559

Installing to 2nd slot method will force magisk v20. Don't use.

Remove magisk and modules, do the upgrade and then follow the instructions in OP.

Though it would be nice to know if this new TWRP was installed first and check if TWRP retention script would work. Then you would need to uninstall magisk modules before first boot. Someone could try this,if it don't work the OP's method will still work.

Yes, it won't work. Back when I was on stable Pie, I have TWRP and Magisk v20 installed. I flashed Android 10 beta via local upgrade when it came out, then I flashed TWRP retention script, and install Magisk to inactive slot. After rebooting, everything works fine, I thought. I stillhave Magisk but my TWRP was lost.

Ganapatya

Apr 26, 2013
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
First of all, a huge thanks to @mauronofrio who just updated TWRP with Android 10 support

In this method, we will use Magisk 19.4 instead of 20 to keep both TWRP and Magisk installed. Magisk 20 has a known issue where installing it will remove TWRP, so we'll stick to Magisk 19.4.

Prerequisites:
TWRP image
TWRP installer zip
Android 10 beta 1 stock boot image
Magisk 19.4

Most of the things here, I shouldn't explain in super complete detail, because most of these things you already know. But still, feel free to ask.

Reboot to fastboot mode. Flash TWRP img using the following command;

In TWRP, flash the stock boot image in boot partition. Don't reboot yet or else, go back to step 1.

In TWRP, flash Magisk 19.4 installer.

Reboot to system. Now you have TWRP and Magisk root together.

Q: I already have Android 10 installed. I don't have TWRP yet (duh) and also am not rooted. Can I follow this without losing my data.

A: Definitely! This is exactly my case. As long as your bootloader is already unlocked.

Moving forward, avoid Magisk 20 and updating Magisk using Magisk Manager, until the issue with TWRP not sticking is fixed.

I have remnants of vanced magisk module installed before upgrading to Android 10. Is it necessary to uninstall it?

vkass

Jan 8, 2011
Just a heads up, if you have magisk 20 installed on the inactive slot you won't be able to boot to recovery after step 4.
Either uninstall magisk before upgrading to android 10 or you have to do this:
1. Switch to the inactive slot after booting TWRP the first time, reboot bootloader
2. Flash PIE twrp to boot again, reboot recovery
3. Uninstall magisk, switch back the partitions and reboot recovery. *you might have to reboot bootloader and flash Q recovery as boot again if it doesn't work*
4. Proceed from step 2 in the OP guide

Reactions: TwinAdk

tenico

Jan 1, 2012
Just a heads up, if you have magisk 20 installed on the inactive slot you won't be able to boot to recovery after step 4.
Either uninstall magisk before upgrading to android 10 or you have to do this:
1. Switch to the inactive slot after booting TWRP the first time, reboot bootloader
2. Flash PIE twrp to boot again, reboot recovery
3. Uninstall magisk, switch back the partitions and reboot recovery. *you might have to reboot bootloader and flash Q recovery as boot again if it doesn't work*
4. Proceed from step 2 in the OP guide

I have another problem, magisk is installed on part_b, but when i reboot to system its get back to recovery again (loop)
changing to part_A its boot normaly but without magisk

vkass

Jan 8, 2011
I have another problem, magisk is installed on part_b, but when i reboot to system its get back to recovery again (loop)
changing to part_A its boot normaly but without magisk
Use magisk uninstaller zip in both partitions, boot to B recovery and flash uninstaller then switch to A reboot to bootloader and flash boot recovery and flash uninstall zip then follow OP.

G

GuestD2559

But if you have the recovery stock, how can you uninstall magisk and its modules? ?

You can't if you didn't follow the steps correctly ?

From fastboot mode, reboot directly to recovery mode. Now you have a working TWRP. If you already have Magisk before following this guide, flash Magisk uninstaller first before proceeding to the next steps. Otherwise, continue below.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, I made a custom magisk update channel that is set to say Magisk 19.4 is the latest version. Using it allows you to use "Install to Inactive Slot" and avoid accidentally updating to Magisk 20.0.

To use it, go to Magisk Manager>Settings>Update Settings>Update Channel>Custom
    then enter the following url:
    [Link Removed]

Once the Magisk 20 incompatibility is fixed, you should switch back to the stable/beta repo.

EDIT: Link removed, as Magisk 20.1 has been released, fixing the TWRP incompatibility. Please switch back to the Stable channel if you are using this custom channel.
    I just installed the latest Canary Magisk V.20.xxxxx . It is working fine and I have no issues going into TWRP.. Seems like topjohnwu commited the fix to the canary branch for the TWRP issues... so no need to stay on 19.4 as far as I'm concerned.

Release notes here:

https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/notes.md

If you want to install this make sure you download the Canary Magisk Manager and change the update channel to Canary ...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/dev-magisk-canary-channel-bleeding-edge-t3839337

:D
    A10 final on OP6 worked fine without data loss coming from rooted 9.0.9

1. installed latest TWRP (from first Post)
    2. Reboot to TWRP
    3. Magisk uninstall
    4. Install A10 full -> reinstall TWRP
    5. reboot to TWRP and install Magisk 20.1

rooted and A10 OP6 with all my Data
    I had magisk v20 installed, I did not uninstall magisk or remove all traces. I flashed TWRP via fastboot, booted to twrp installed twrp zip, rebooted back to twrp and installed magisk 19.4. No issues. So it may not be necessary to uninstall magisk first. So if you forget to do so you may be ok.
    Simply flash the mauronofrio TWRP zip using Magisk (as if you were installing a Magisk module), then direct install Magisk again.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone