Votes: 154 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 23.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am still on Android 8.1.0 with open bootloader and magisk version 17.2. I didnt install TWRP (used enchilada 3.2.3), but just used it to install magisk, nothing more.

Everything works fine and I want now to install latest official version 10.3.5 and root the same process I have done.
Means, install 10.3.5, make a clean install, use TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img) just to flash magisk (version Magisk v20.4) and good to go? Or do I now have to install TWRP?

I dont need to upgrade in the future, because I usually make a clean install and use it for about 1-2 years, no updates. So my question, is it still possible to do this in this for me "old way" or do I have to considere something different with the new android version 10.3.5?

Thanks in forward and regards.

akboy7015

Jun 13, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am still on Android 8.1.0 with open bootloader and magisk version 17.2. I didnt install TWRP (used enchilada 3.2.3), but just used it to install magisk, nothing more.

Everything works fine and I want now to install latest official version 10.3.5 and root the same process I have done.
Means, install 10.3.5, make a clean install, use TWRP (twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img) just to flash magisk (version Magisk v20.4) and good to go? Or do I now have to install TWRP?

I dont need to upgrade in the future, because I usually make a clean install and use it for about 1-2 years, no updates. So my question, is it still possible to do this in this for me "old way" or do I have to considere something different with the new android version 10.3.5?

Thanks in forward and regards.
Since partitions changed a lot in android 10, using twrp is not an option to flash it. If your aim it to clean it during the process, the most fastest method should be to use MSM tool with latest firmware image but it is not easy to understand, and it requires a computer. The other way is to use embedded update tool with local zip files, but I think you will need to upgrade to v9 first (lastest), them to v10. At the end, you factory reset the device, and flash twrp again from computer using adb

xdaerdeve

Mar 17, 2014
Hi,
this is the information I needed, thanks very much :)

If I dont like version 10, do you think it could be a problem to downgrade? I mean, because of the partitions...

Since partitions changed a lot in android 10, using twrp is not an option to flash it. If your aim it to clean it during the process, the most fastest method should be to use MSM tool with latest firmware image but it is not easy to understand, and it requires a computer. The other way is to use embedded update tool with local zip files, but I think you will need to upgrade to v9 first (lastest), them to v10. At the end, you factory reset the device, and flash twrp again from computer using adb

akboy7015

Jun 13, 2014
Hi,
this is the information I needed, thanks very much :)

If I dont like version 10, do you think it could be a problem to downgrade? I mean, because of the partitions...
The only way to downgrade without risk is the MSM download tool, with this tool, whatever you version or partitions, it prepare this device like if you have just buy it. Even if it is completely bricked. Mine was dead, no more system, no more recovery, no more boot partition, and it restored everything. Make sure to use a special system image dedicated to this tool, search in different forums, it is not easy to use anyway

racerx002

Nov 6, 2013

TassaDarK

Jun 16, 2011
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here are my steps:

1) Installed full oxygen 10.3.6 update via TWRP. At the end gave me an error. Rebooted but still booted to slot A (10.3.5) and the updated erased TWRP.
2) Boot TWRP from fastboot and reinstalled it. Forced slot active to B. Booted to 10.3.6 (slot B). Reboot to TWRP and installed Magisk ZIP.
3) Lastest Magisk Manager is installed but it says no root. ¿?

I tried many times to reinstall magisk zip from TWRP but still says "not installed" when I boot the system.

I'm missing something?

xpakage

Oct 23, 2010
Oklahoma
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Here are my steps:

1) Installed full oxygen 10.3.6 update via TWRP. At the end gave me an error. Rebooted but still booted to slot A (10.3.5) and the updated erased TWRP.
2) Boot TWRP from fastboot and reinstalled it. Forced slot active to B. Booted to 10.3.6 (slot B). Reboot to TWRP and installed Magisk ZIP.
3) Lastest Magisk Manager is installed but it says no root. ¿?

I tried many times to reinstall magisk zip from TWRP but still says "not installed" when I boot the system.

I'm missing something?

The newer versions need flashed through the local upgrade, not TWRP. TWRP doesn't make all the needed partitions. You can search this thread and find out exactly how to do it and not lose TWRP or root.

TassaDarK

Jun 16, 2011
The newer versions need flashed through the local upgrade, not TWRP. TWRP doesn't make all the needed partitions. You can search this thread and find out exactly how to do it and not lose TWRP or root.

Yeah. Thanks for your reply. I (more or less) followed the steps A. 1 & 2 of the OP (is the way I usually do). I didn't know about the problem flashing update from TWRP. For future updates I think I'll be doing the 'install to inactive slot method'. Much more convenient.

Anyway, my problem with 'no root even I flashed it in TWRP' was because I was opening the WRONG Magisk Manager (I had two, the 'hidden' one with apk package name changed and the one the zip in TWRP installs). Opening the right one erased the other and detects root correctly.

furyzer0

Aug 11, 2016
Problem with updating from OOS 10.3.5 to OOS 10.3.6

I was following part B) to update to 10.3.6 but after uninstalling Magisk with 'Restore Images' I can't access to any local file. Therefore updater says not enough space to update. Is there way to fix this? I didn't reboot my phone.

ired17

Jan 29, 2015
Balagtas, Bulacan
OnePlus 6
A. If you are on OOS 10

I. If you are on OOS 10.3.0, OB4, or higher

Prerequisites:

1. Reboot to fastboot mode. Boot to TWRP using the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-Q-mauronofrio.img
  2. Flash TWRP installer zip. Reboot to recovery.
  3. Flash lastest Magisk. Reboot.

II. If you are on OOS 10.0.0, 10.0.1, OB1, OB2, or OB3

1. Flash OOS 10.3.0 zip or OB4 or higher via local upgrade. Reboot normally. If you are in open beta, keep in mind that your data will be wiped when you update to stable.
  2. Follow method I.

B. If you're coming from OOS 9.0.9 with TWRP and Magisk already installed, and you want to update to OOS 10

1. Make sure you are currently on the latest TWRP and Magisk. Uninstall all your Magisk modules, but not Magisk itself. Reboot.
  2. Open Magisk Manager. Click Uninstall > Restore Images. Do not reboot yet.
    attachment.php

3. Install full OOS update zip file using Local upgrade. Wait until the installation is finished. This might take a while, but you can use your phone normally while it's installing in the background. Do not reboot yet, or else you'll have to follow section A. above.
  4. Open Magisk Manager. Download and install TWRP Retention Script module. Do not reboot yet.
  5. In Magisk Manager main screen, click Install > Install > Install to Inactive Slot. Reboot
    attachment.php

Note: If this method somehow fails for you, follow section A since you are already on OOS 10 after following this method.

C. If you're on OOS 10, and want to apply OTA without losing TWRP, Magisk, and all data

1. Follow section B.

D. If you're on OOS 9.0.8 and below, and you want to update to OOS 10 without losing TWRP, Magisk, and all data

1. Update to OOS 9.0.9 first. Follow section B, but instead of flashing OOS 10 zip, use OOS 9.0.9 zip in local upgrade.
  2. Repeat section B. but this time, flash OOS 10 zip via local upgrade.

I'm gonna perfor. The Letter B since I'm on 9.0.9. But should i also uninstall all these modules? Or just the Universal GMZ Doze? Thank you.Screenshot_20201130-182343.jpg

mixcoatl

Dec 9, 2010
Hi ! I have android 10.3.7 oxygenOS on oneplus 6 ROOTED with this method, and since I installed it the touch on the android auto display with the AA MIRROR or Streem2Auto app doesn't work. Anyone know how to fix this?

ired17

Jan 29, 2015
Balagtas, Bulacan
OnePlus 6
I tried the Method B. I'm still on OOS 9.0.9. Tried the steps in Method B to update to 10.3.7 from 9.0.9, but the after rebooting, it will just reboot again back to TWRP. and i Have to switch to Slot B(active) to boot my phone, and then the update failed to install. so phone still boot in 9.0.9.

Last edited:

Fevves

Dec 1, 2011
Behind your screen...

Bear with me... please?

I was on stock 5.1.11 OOS, Android 8.1, rooted with magisk 21.2 with blu_spark kernel and blu_spark TWRP while suddenly, out of the blue my phone rebooted (after 2 years of usual use and without any glitches) and I was cut off from everything.... I lot all my photos and videos... (being an idiot and not having time to back them up to my PC).

Story shortened: I could not save my data and my user files, nor anything (I had PIN locked screen and somehow the inherent locking files in data/system got either damaged or corrupted so TWRP was not decrypting the partitions even with the right password). I tried all that I knew to revive the phone, but my TWRP backups (all of them!) failed wih error 255... so after a soft bricked phone and bootloader, the only option I had is to fastboot flash the ROM, in this case (why not, since my phone, as I had it, was gone) OOS 10.3.7 (partition by partition) and it indeed revived the phone. I somehow managed to get TWRP twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-installer-mauronofrio installed and running fine but I can't seem to root my phone as it is erroring on System UI constantly if I flash magisk 21.4.

Which Magisk version should I try and install as I really lost time (havent's slept OK for almost two days) over this. I tried to search all over the forums and web, but nothing is pointing to a working Magisk TWRP flash files for me... all threads and sites are stating to download the latest one... which in my case is not working at all.

ps: I tried with Blu_Spark TWRPS before and I could not find one to work with OOS10.3.7 which is rather strange...

pps: Strangelly my active slot now is A while on OOS 5.1.11 was always B....

Thanks goes to all you guys who can patiently reply.

Edit:
Somehow and after several trials with all different Magisk versions, bootlooping and System UI crashing... topmost issue was these damn blank screens with only white LED flashing on reboot... I got to flash TWRP twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-installer-mauronofrio again and this time around the TWRP booted and my active slot was B and not A, so I flashed the TWRP ZIP, rebooted recovery... it sticked... I flashed the complete OOS 10.3.7 zip... rebooted to recovery, flashed Magisk 9.14, rebooted recovery, checked and still on slot B... flashed kernel, rebooted to recovery, still on TWRP... rebooted system and I finally got the system running... and above all I have root and custom kernel installed while TWRP sticks ok.

Now...

The issue is my fear to update Magisk through manager etc... but I observed repositories has almost zero modules I want, such as Greenify, Viper, Ed Xposed...

I did performed backup procedure through TWRP of all partitions so I can revert (hopefully) if something goes bad again. I haven't set any kind of screen lock and I'm using swype up for the time being.

Anyone care to provide me with an advice?

TIA.

Edit2 on January the 23rd 11:04:
I updated Magisk directly form the Magisk manager in the OS (not the TWRP), crossed my fingers and now I'm on Magisk 21.4, Magisk manager 8.0.7, have working and sticking TWRP twrp-3.3.1-18-enchilada-installer-mauronofrio, and can finally proceed with "my life" (aside the loss of my user data). I hope this post might help someone else not to give up and to persevere and fix their phone.

Last edited:

djcsurf

Jan 9, 2011
Kent
I just tried the OP method to upgrade from 9.0.9 to 10.3.9 (Rooted - Black TWRP 3.3.1-2 & Magisk 22.0) never worked for me, after reboot it said update failed and still on 9.0.9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone, I made a custom magisk update channel that is set to say Magisk 19.4 is the latest version. Using it allows you to use "Install to Inactive Slot" and avoid accidentally updating to Magisk 20.0.

To use it, go to Magisk Manager>Settings>Update Settings>Update Channel>Custom
    then enter the following url:
    [Link Removed]

Once the Magisk 20 incompatibility is fixed, you should switch back to the stable/beta repo.

EDIT: Link removed, as Magisk 20.1 has been released, fixing the TWRP incompatibility. Please switch back to the Stable channel if you are using this custom channel.
    I just installed the latest Canary Magisk V.20.xxxxx . It is working fine and I have no issues going into TWRP.. Seems like topjohnwu commited the fix to the canary branch for the TWRP issues... so no need to stay on 19.4 as far as I'm concerned.

Release notes here:

https://github.com/topjohnwu/magisk_files/blob/canary/notes.md

If you want to install this make sure you download the Canary Magisk Manager and change the update channel to Canary ...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/dev-magisk-canary-channel-bleeding-edge-t3839337

:D
    A10 final on OP6 worked fine without data loss coming from rooted 9.0.9

1. installed latest TWRP (from first Post)
    2. Reboot to TWRP
    3. Magisk uninstall
    4. Install A10 full -> reinstall TWRP
    5. reboot to TWRP and install Magisk 20.1

rooted and A10 OP6 with all my Data
    I had magisk v20 installed, I did not uninstall magisk or remove all traces. I flashed TWRP via fastboot, booted to twrp installed twrp zip, rebooted back to twrp and installed magisk 19.4. No issues. So it may not be necessary to uninstall magisk first. So if you forget to do so you may be ok.
    Simply flash the mauronofrio TWRP zip using Magisk (as if you were installing a Magisk module), then direct install Magisk again.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone