TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.
Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.
A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM
WARNING!!! Be careful what you do here. One mistake and the device is soft-bricked. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, lost warranty or even OTAs not working!! Booting and/or flashing files from this post is on your own risk.
- Unlocked bootloader
- Lenovo Tab 4 Plus with and without LTE and both 8 and 10 inch versions (TB-X704L/F, TB-8704X/F) are supported
- WARNING! Our device uses dm-verity (verified boot). The system partition should remain read-only. Otherwise a bootloop will occur. You can flash SuperSU to resolve this but OTA's are no longer possible! You have to restore a factory image or clean system backup to receive OTAs
- TWRP for TB-8704X/F (8 inch plus): AndroidFileHost
- TWRP for TB-8704V (8 inch plus Verizon): AndroidFileHost (provided by @3m1k)
- TWRP for TB-X704L/F (10.1 inch plus): AndroidFileHost
- TWRP for TB-8504X/F (8 inch): AndroidFileHost (touch input may only work after connecting mouse)
- TWRP for TB-X304L/F (10.1 inch): AndroidFileHost
- Install fastboot and adb on your PC, e.g. from here
- Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
- Connect your PC to your tablet and run
adb reboot bootloaderCode:
fastboot oem unlock-go
- Setup the tablet again and reboot again to the bootloader
- Then run
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-<your-filename>.img
- Select to keep system read only when TWRP starts to avoid modification which will make OTAs impossible
- Backup at least system and boot partitions. Choose "System Image" for the system partition backup. Keep this backup for OTA updates.
- Optionally flash SuperSU or Magisk in TWRP which should install system less. Keep OEM unlock enabled if you flash or modify anything
Writable System Partition
Some mods and root apps require write access to the system partition. By default the system partition is read-only to prevent any modification. Please note that if your system partition is modified in any way it needs to be restored to its original state before a system update (OTA) can be applied.
- @dywersant has created a Magisk module here to achieve write access
- @KreAch3R has updated the Magisk module to the latest version here
System Updates (OTA)
In order to successfully apply Lenovo system updates after root you have to restore the original boot, recovery (if you flashed TWRP) and system partitions from your current installed version (e.g. S000037) for your variant of the tablet. This will NOT delete your apps and data but will unroot. Note that OTAs are block based and always check the contents of most of the partitions. This means that all of these partitions (except your data) have to be original and have to be on the exact same version (e.g. S000037) for the update to succeed.
@wonderfulme - for testing the 8" version
@Teddy01 - for testing the 10" version
@3m1k - for providing the 8" Verizon version
TWRP Manifest: https://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni/tree/twrp-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8704X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_8704x/tree/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8704V): https://github.com/3m1k/twrp_android_device_tb_8704v
Device Tree (TB-X704L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_x704l/tree/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8504X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_8504x/tree/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-X304L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_x304l/tree/android-7.1
- Update to TWRP 3.2.3-0
- Update to TWRP 3.2.1-0
- Initial Release