• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F)

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
guys i was searching the forum but I'm unable to find an unofficial/official lineageos for the TB-8704*. can anyone point me in the right direction?

That's cause there isn't one, lol. There is no custom rom available.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I stopped bothering with the remount module some time ago. In fact I keep my /system partition read only these days, but when the module stopped working I ran the command within the module using the TWRP terminal.
What command are you using in twrp terminal to replace the remount zip? I ran a remount command and it bootloops the tablet.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
What command are you using in twrp terminal to replace the remount zip? I ran a remount command and it bootloops the tablet.
I don't bother with enabling write access to the tablet anymore. However, I did mention the command in a post I made in this thread some months back (search). It's the same command found in the remount module, which can be seen when you extract the files from the zip.

Reactions: kc12

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
Remount rw in oreo s001022

I don't bother with enabling write access to the tablet anymore. However, I did mention the command in a post I made in this thread some months back (search). It's the same command found in the remount module, which can be seen when you extract the files from the zip.
I unzipped the remount zip and the script in there is the script I tried already. It bootloops my tablet with the latest s001022 Oreo update. I did however find the post you referred too. The shorter script - not using the -t ext4 - was successful. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: rorzer

celoxocis

Apr 12, 2010
Belgrade
That's cause there isn't one, lol. There is no custom rom available.
to bad. I saw a good deal on the 8704F. 150€ for the 64G WiFi version.

I've done a quick google and seen some device tree's on github for the 8704 though they were about a year old.
the 8704 is the tablet version of the Lenovo P2. so I thought someone had the idea to fork Mike's work and build a LineageOS ROM for the 8704.

it might even be able to commonize those two devices and have one kernel tree for both devices.

ah well I guess I'm gone pass on the deal and probably go for a clover which has treble and GSI.

mad4some

Dec 10, 2012
Alcoa, TN
guys i was searching the forum but I'm unable to find an unofficial/official lineageos for the TB-8704*. can anyone point me in the right direction?
None......there are no custom roms for these tablets. We are all still waiting, and wishing. ;)
edit: oops, didn't see this was already answered....

Last edited:

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
to bad. I saw a good deal on the 8704F. 150€ for the 64G WiFi version.

I've done a quick google and seen some device tree's on github for the 8704 though they were about a year old.
the 8704 is the tablet version of the Lenovo P2. so I thought someone had the idea to fork Mike's work and build a LineageOS ROM for the 8704.

it might even be able to commonize those two devices and have one kernel tree for both devices.

ah well I guess I'm gone pass on the deal and probably go for a clover which has treble and GSI.
LumenReaper is working on Los 14 for the 10" plus model that isn't getting Oreo. After that he will try to do the 8", los 15, if he can. No guarantee.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
@LumenReaper
Log are sent by PM.
In TWRP for oreo we cannot mount /data and internal memory (encrypted partition)
after format /data in TWRP, system won't boot up.
Thanks. Got the log, but still missing the kernel log. There should be a checkbox for it, isn't it? I can't get much information from the TWRP log, except for the problem you described to me before. Unfortunately, there are no starting points for the problem.

LumenReaper is working on Los 14 for the 10" plus model that isn't getting Oreo. After that he will try to do the 8", los 15, if he can. No guarantee.
I want to clarify this briefly; I have never said that I am going to develop a rom for a non plus model. These models are too different.

I think the 8 Plus is possible, but without a person who can maintain it, I won't invest time in it. I'm very happy that yener90 is involved in the development of 10 Plus because I'm not really getting any further.

I'm trying to get a TWRP for Oreo for you and I'm not looking any further for now.

kc12

Aug 10, 2013
Sarasota
I want to clarify this briefly; I have never said that I am going to develop a rom for a non plus model. These models are too different.

I think the 8 Plus is possible, but without a person who can maintain it, I won't invest time in it. I'm very happy that yener90 is involved in the development of 10 Plus because I'm not really getting any further.
The 8" 8704f we were discussing is a plus model, as you did mention the possibility of developing it to me, And I did say no guarantee... We appreciate your efforts 100%.

Reactions: LumenReaper

celoxocis

Apr 12, 2010
Belgrade

I'm trying to get a TWRP for Oreo for you and I'm not looking any further for now.
I've come across Myst3rion09s work on github. he rebased the vendor kernel on top of CAF. so I got in contact with him and he said he sold his 8704 after giving up to get it to boot with the kernel.

I just now read that when you guys format /data using TWRP using that the stock ROM won't boot.
does it get stuck on the Lenovo logo with the progress bar at the bottom at about 70% percent?

if yes then that's exactly the same problem we had encountered on the Lenovo P2. the issue is f2fs codebase in the stock kernel. Mike was able to fix it and even fixed TWRP's f2fs.

which TWRP repo source are you guys using? TeamWin's official repo? or LineageOS TWRP fork? LineageTWRP includes multiple fixes in regards to f2fs and encryption/decryption. it is located here https://github.com/LineageTWRP

Reactions: LumenReaper

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
I've come across Myst3rion09s work on github. he rebased the vendor kernel on top of CAF. so I got in contact with him and he said he sold his 8704 after giving up to get it to boot with the kernel.
Interesting research, only made it with the official kernel source code (which I waited a month for). I also asked for the source code for the 8 Plus, but there is still nothing going on.

I just now read that when you guys format /data using TWRP using that the stock ROM won't boot.
does it get stuck on the Lenovo logo with the progress bar at the bottom at about 70% percent?

if yes then that's exactly the same problem we had encountered on the Lenovo P2. the issue is f2fs codebase in the stock kernel. Mike was able to fix it and even fixed TWRP's f2fs.

which TWRP repo source are you guys using? TeamWin's official repo? or LineageOS TWRP fork? LineageTWRP includes multiple fixes in regards to f2fs and encryption/decryption. it is located here https://github.com/LineageTWRP
Did the P2 also use F2FS? These tablets are all formatted with ext4, aren't they?

Edit: I am using the minimal omni source for TWRP.

Last edited:

celoxocis

Apr 12, 2010
Belgrade
Interesting research, only made it with the official kernel source code (which I waited a month for). I also asked for the source code for the 8 Plus, but there is still nothing going on.

Did the P2 also use F2FS? These tablets are all formatted with ext4, aren't they?

Edit: I am using the minimal omni source for TWRP.
Yes he used the Nougat open source kernel archive that Lenovo provided on their support download page.

But I'm confused now. Wasn't the Tab4 8 Plus = 8704X/F. only difference being one LTE+WiFi the other WiFi only?

I don't own a 8704 so I can't tell if they use f2fs by default but so far every device from Moto/Lenovo on the 3.18.x kernel had f2fs as default and optional ext4 in its fstab.

And all had the same issue with the broken f2fs kernel code base. It took Mike weeks last year to narrow it down he even got in contact with jaegeuk. They we're able to fix it. Mike even upstreamed his fixes into AOSP because it was broken in AOSP too. Something not even Google's coder's figured out how to fix. Google used ext4 for on their Pixel 2 generation devices probably because they saw f2fs was broken. Guess what they started to use with the Pixel 3 generation... after it got fixed lol

I'm bet that the 8704 tablets use f2fs by default on stock for /data and once /data gets formatted using mkfs.f2fs by TWRP's f2fs version it will end up in an unbootable device. Will keep on vibrating and restarting. We had that issue on the P2 at bring-up. We had to use an old mkfs.f2fs which was patched to work with Moto/Lenovo's broken codebase to get it working.

Last edited:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
NTFS is proprietary, i.e. owned by Microsoft. Unless things have changed Android cannot read NTFS volumes. There have been apps that have NTFS support, but those apps never worked well, and will not help in this instance.

LumenReaper

Nov 26, 2018
Yes he used the Nougat open source kernel archive that Lenovo provided on their support download page.
I just wanted to check which nougat kernel that could have been, because I thought Lenovo didn't release one, and now I see that the kernel source for the 8704F and 8704X was uploaded yesterday.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/de/de/... 8 Plus Tablet (TB-8704F, TB-8704X, TB-8704V)

But I'm confused now. Wasn't the Tab4 8 Plus = 8704X/F. only difference being one LTE+WiFi the other WiFi only?
How did I make you confused? ;)

I don't own a 8704 so I can't tell if they use f2fs by default but so far every device from Moto/Lenovo on the 3.18.x kernel had f2fs as default and optional ext4 in its fstab.

And all had the same issue with the broken f2fs kernel code base. It took Mike weeks last year to narrow it down he even got in contact with jaegeuk. They we're able to fix it. Mike even upstreamed his fixes into AOSP because it was broken in AOSP too. Something not even Google's coder's figured out how to fix. Google used ext4 for on their Pixel 2 generation devices probably because they saw f2fs was broken. Guess what they started to use with the Pixel 3 generation... after it got fixed lol

I'm bet that the 8704 tablets use f2fs by default on stock for /data and once /data gets formatted using mkfs.f2fs by TWRP's f2fs version it will end up in an unbootable device. Will keep on vibrating and restarting. We had that issue on the P2 at bring-up. We had to use an old mkfs.f2fs which was patched to work with Moto/Lenovo's broken codebase to get it working.
Many thanks for the information, I will check sometime whether it affects us, but first I have to find time for that.

freddienuxx

Dec 11, 2012
Neptune City NJ
Ok folks, here is a link to my FULL stock ROM for the Lenovo TB-X704V .
I'll leave it live for a week or so.

https://mega.nz/#!rLJBmIZb!axE0fxI3KSOvzUmyJ_XMmMlPEKfnNy6OXLG07Pz8mUY
@Sparkrite can you provide me stock room for TB-x704v please I tried downloading the mega download but wasn't there. My tablet is bricked thx in advance

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Ok folks, here is a link to my FULL stock ROM for the Lenovo TB-X704V .
I'll leave it live for a week or so.

https://mega.nz/#!rLJBmIZb!axE0fxI3KSOvzUmyJ_XMmMlPEKfnNy6OXLG07Pz8mUY
@Sparkrite can you provide me stock room for TB-x704v please I tried downloading the mega download but wasn't there. My tablet is bricked thx in advance

Sparkrite

Jan 9, 2014

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Seeing as how you asked nicely two times :D here ya go:-
https://mega.nz/#!vfhhFYyT!axE0fxI3KSOvzUmyJ_XMmMlPEKfnNy6OXLG07Pz8mUY

I'll leave it live for a short while.

Sparkrite

Jan 9, 2014
Where you able to flash twrp? On the x704v? Thx in advance. And thanks again for giving stock rom

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yes I was, with an unlocked bootloader and in fastboot mode I flashed the TWRP for TB-X704L/F from the OP.

Later I changed this to @LumenReaper 's version, linked a couple of pages back, I think.

PS, no need to keep thanking me (though I do appreciate it ;) ) just click on the "Thanks" button.

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone