TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F)

Search This thread

MagPhi

Feb 26, 2022
Lenovo includes drivers in a protected partition of the internal storage that can be seen in Windows. Use those.
Since I am having so many problems with this tablet, I was thinking of rooting Samsung galaxy A7 instead. It has the option of OEM unlock in settings. But, if I copy everything in /storage/emulated/0/ and then put it back after rooting, will all my data be there? (Like app data, app cache, accounts, messages, whatsapp messages, etc.)

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Not unless you want to brick the Samsung. If you're going to switch between two different models or brands of tablets you need to start fresh on the new tablet. Use OandbackupX (found on XDA's forums) to back up your apps and their data on the old tablet. Once you have restored your apps from the Play Store and rooted the Samsung, you can then transfer the backups to the Samsung and use OandbackupX on the Samsung to restore the app data.

Keep in mind that Samsung does not work with the fastboot executable. You must use Odin on it to flash a recovery so you can root.

MagPhi

Feb 26, 2022
Not unless you want to brick the Samsung. If you're going to switch between two different models or brands of tablets you need to start fresh on the new tablet. Use OandbackupX (found on XDA's forums) to back up your apps and their data on the old tablet. Once you have restored your apps from the Play Store and rooted the Samsung, you can then transfer the backups to the Samsung and use OandbackupX on the Samsung to restore the app data.

Keep in mind that Samsung does not work with the fastboot executable. You must use Odin on it to flash a recovery so you can root.
Its not a tablet, it's a mobile that I primarily use and has all my data. This Lenovo tablet has nothing to lose, so I wanted to root this. And that mobile has 51gb in use while this tablet is 16gb so there is no way to backup that in this tab. It has to be on a PC. The actual reason I want to root is I messed up my laptop and need a pen drive to reinstall the OS. But I don't have a pen drive so I was gonna use drivedroid. Is there any alternative to drivedroid that does not require root?

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Is there any alternative to drivedroid that does not require root?
I don't know. I'm in the habit of making restore media as soon as I power up a device for the first time. Also, the screwed up Windows install could be the source of all your fastboot issues. All advice given on this thread assumes a working PC.

Is there a reason you cannot simply reset Windows (Start > Settings > System > Recovery)? It can be reset to leave data if data loss is an issue. It also doesn't require a USB drive.

MagPhi

Feb 26, 2022
I don't know. I'm in the habit of making restore media as soon as I power up a device for the first time. Also, the screwed up Windows install could be the source of all your fastboot issues. All advice given on this thread assumes a working PC.

Is there a reason you cannot simply reset Windows (Start > Settings > System > Recovery)? It can be reset to leave data if data loss is an issue. It also doesn't require a USB drive.
I am trying to root from a different spare windows which is very slow. My primary PC is linux which I messed up. I am just gonna rent a pen drive [shrug]

alou S

Jul 23, 2017
@alou S If all you have is QCom Diagnostics mode, you'll have to JTAG it, or else send it to Lenovo to restore. Your tablet is hard bricked.
@Strephon Alkhalikoi Remember back then like more than a year ago when you said that if you end up in QCom Diag Mode and couldn't get into Qcom Download mode with VolUP+VolDOWN I will have to JTAG it? Well you were wrong.
It happened due to me ****ing up my `aboot` partition.

So recently my new Samsung (Qualcomm) device after force flashing an old aboot died. Can't get into Odin mode. (Dad gave me he phone as a replacement for the tab)

On my second day before I sent it for servicing, I found a video showing a test point you can short on the PCB to force the phone into QCom Download Mode (9008 mode). It worked for my phone and using https://github.com/bkerler/edl I was able to flash the aboot partition and revive the device.

This made me wonder if the same can be done for my dead x304l. Which I promptly removed and checked the PCB. On the right side of the PCB there are 4 pins labeled TX RX FORCE and VDD. Shorting the VDD and the FORCE pins and then plugging in the USB forced my phone to enter 9008 instead of 900E.

This idea basically came after I saw this article https://lineageos.org/engineering/Qualcomm-Firmware/
It showed that the QDownload mode was stored in the Secondary Boot Loader (SBL) and not in the Android Boot Loader (aboot) and also stated that SBL was actually responsible for handling the download mode. aboot only contained other vendor modes like Fastboot or ODIN.

So basically I revived my completely dead tab that woudn't get into QDownload mode without a JTAG.

Cheers
Hopefully you can now help others with my newly found knowledge <3

Bigtank2585

Sep 6, 2010
117 pages later, apologies if this has been solved or come up. but ive installed all necessary (i think) drivers and such.
In fastboot mode:
When i use the adp command to unlock, it hangs at <waiting for any device>

Any help?

Reactions: mai8ko

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
117 pages later, apologies if this has been solved or come up. but ive installed all necessary (i think) drivers and such.
In fastboot mode:
When i use the adp command to unlock, it hangs at <waiting for any device>

Any help?
Lenovo has a read-only partition on the internal storage that can only be seen when the tablet is connected to the PC. Drivers are found there. Reinstall them and check in device manager - assuming Windows - that Android Composite Interface is selected.

As for ADB itself, make sure it is located in a directory without spaces at the root of a drive and is the latest version.

VNii

Feb 17, 2022
My first message on this forum.

I have model 704L, have been trying to flash Lineageos 17.1 for a couple of days now.
Flashing always ended up stuck so I have tried many things after reading instructions I have found on this forum and elsewhere. Following these trials I am now in a situation that full format has been done so there is nothing left in the tablet. No backup whatsoever available.

- I can establish connection OK with ADB and Fastboot.
- TWRP 3.6 runs OK.

Wipe and flashing fail with error messages about /system, e.g. "Failed to mount /system (Invalid argument).

When checking in wipe/format I can see that System size is 0 (zero).

Any hints?
Anyone?

giorgakis1966

Nov 12, 2014
Skopelos
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
I finally managed and unlocked OEM my Tab4 8 ( 8504f ). Now I want to flash ( no root ) with twrp and go through lineage os 17.1 Which file is correct TWRP and what commands I give through Minimal ADB and Fastboot. The twrp put inside the folder Minimal ADB and Fastboot? Α friend to tell me the step by step? See in the photo my problem now... Thank you

InkedIMG_20220510_191355_LI (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

KakiDev

May 30, 2022
My tablet (8504F) has softlocked multiple times, after clicking power down or rebooting to system.

hitpoint2

May 24, 2012
Skopje
Guys, I'm stuck on the very first step. After entering the adb reboot bootloader command, the tablet goes in Fastboot and by adding the second command it just says waiting for device.
Now I read that it is a driver issue but I cant find the drivers anywhere.. Can you please help me out here?
Thank you!

hitpoint2

May 24, 2012
Skopje
Assuming Lenovo hasn't changed things and eliminated it, there should be a read-only partition on your tablet with the driver installer and manual. It should appear when you connect the tablet to your PC.
Yes, there is. I tried that and I installed it. But no luck :/ I even tried to update the driver while the tablet was in fastboot. I did that with the signature too.

MrCap66

May 18, 2023
I can test the 8 inch tomorrow. Thanks for building this btw.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Wait, these builds are for the Plus variants only? They will not work with ZA2B0009US, correct? :\
Sir I had unlock bootloader of device.lenovo tab 8504x I'm using lineage os rom but suddenly my device get switch off and not booting in twrp as well as normal boot.i don't have pc I use bugjaeger app I reflash recovery many time but sill same not booting stuck at twrp logo please help please sir

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.

Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

WARNING!!! Be careful what you do here. One mistake and the device is soft-bricked. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, lost warranty or even OTAs not working!! Booting and/or flashing files from this post is on your own risk.

Requirements
    • Unlocked bootloader
    • Lenovo Tab 4 Plus with and without LTE and both 8 and 10 inch versions (TB-X704L/F, TB-8704X/F) are supported

Known Issues
    • WARNING! Our device uses dm-verity (verified boot). The system partition should remain read-only. Otherwise a bootloop will occur. You can flash SuperSU to resolve this but OTA's are no longer possible! You have to restore a factory image or clean system backup to receive OTAs

Download

Instructions
    1. Install fastboot and adb on your PC, e.g. from here
    2. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
    3. Connect your PC to your tablet and run
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      using adb on command line. The tablet will reboot into bootloader mode where you will only see the Lenovo logo. Now you use
      Code:
      fastboot oem unlock-go
      to unlock. This will factory reset your device
    4. Setup the tablet again and reboot again to the bootloader
    5. Then run
      Code:
      fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-<your-filename>.img
      to temporarily boot into TWRP. You can also flash if you are sure ;)
    6. Select to keep system read only when TWRP starts to avoid modification which will make OTAs impossible
    7. Backup at least system and boot partitions. Choose "System Image" for the system partition backup. Keep this backup for OTA updates.
    8. Optionally flash SuperSU or Magisk in TWRP which should install system less. Keep OEM unlock enabled if you flash or modify anything

Writable System Partition
    Some mods and root apps require write access to the system partition. By default the system partition is read-only to prevent any modification. Please note that if your system partition is modified in any way it needs to be restored to its original state before a system update (OTA) can be applied.

• @dywersant has created a Magisk module here to achieve write access
    • @KreAch3R has updated the Magisk module to the latest version here

System Updates (OTA)
    In order to successfully apply Lenovo system updates after root you have to restore the original boot, recovery (if you flashed TWRP) and system partitions from your current installed version (e.g. S000037) for your variant of the tablet. This will NOT delete your apps and data but will unroot. Note that OTAs are block based and always check the contents of most of the partitions. This means that all of these partitions (except your data) have to be original and have to be on the exact same version (e.g. S000037) for the update to succeed.

Credits
    @wonderfulme - for testing the 8" version
    @Teddy01 - for testing the 10" version
    @3m1k - for providing the 8" Verizon version
    TeamWin

Source
    TWRP Manifest: https://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni/tree/twrp-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-8704X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_8704x/tree/android-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-8704V): https://github.com/3m1k/twrp_android_device_tb_8704v
    Device Tree (TB-X704L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_x704l/tree/android-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-8504X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_8504x/tree/android-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-X304L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_android_device_tb_x304l/tree/android-7.1

Changelog
    v3:
    • Update to TWRP 3.2.3-0
    v2:
    • Update to TWRP 3.2.1-0
    v1:
    • Initial Release
    I am happy to make probably the best announcement since we got TWRP: My X704F is running LineageOS 14.1. While some things are already working, two things keep me from releasing it now: Wifi and Usb don't work yet. Once I have solved these problems, I will create my own thread for it. So be patient ;)
    Can someone please help I soft bricked my device And I'm unable to fastboot new rom QFIL is keep saying SAHARA FAILED can someone help me?

You need to have install both the qualcomm drivers and the Lenovo drivers, both installed via executables in the drivers section in the russian .7z download. You need to be in a mode of disable driver signature checking, search how to do that for your OS.

When you get that message, hit volume up key when it says that then hit download again and it keeps going.

I spent a day trying to unbrick, I kept trying and hitting walls and trial+error and eventually succeeded, this is what worked for me, this is not necessarily the best approach and some steps may not be required, but it at least worked for me so I offer it.

Download the Russian forum ROM for your device e.g. mine was the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus. If you didn't flash, only boot, TWRP, you can use the stock recovery. If you're not sure what is your model then have your tablet powered off and press and hold the volume up key and press the power button til you feel a vibration then let go both buttons. The recovery will then tell you the model. Mine was TB-8704F so my link is here

http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/24137-lenovo-tab4-a8-plus-proshivka-tb-8704f_s000024_170706_row_qfil/

Change do your own model. Go up the forum and down to your model.

You need a 7zip extractor.

When you extract you need a password which is "lenovo-forums.ru"

Inside the unzip is images, drivers, tools. We're using the images and the drivers, but ignoring the tools

Go to drivers and run the Lenovo and the Qualcomm executables.

Inside the unzip the tools has QFIL.exe but it doesn't work. Download the QFIL 1.0.02 from here

https://androiddatahost.com/jj9ye

Boot into a mode without device driver signing. I used Windows 7 32bit so I reboot and hit F8 as it came out of BIOS and selected disable driver sig. Once booted all the steps below are done.

Run the qfil exec in the above.

qf_4.png.f5797926619c16ad6a4b9f1a9b9032c7.png

The top most browse point it to the images folder and it will show one file, select it. Then load XML select browse and point it to the image folder and it will select a file and then it will select another file "patch".

Then unplug your tablet and turn it off (press hold and ensure screen is black for many seconds).

Then this is a tricky part, took me many attempts. Press and hold the volume up key and plug in the USB-C cable and then let go of the volume up key. The QFIL tool should show a qualcomm port as being used. If you don't see anything active saying qualcomm in port then unplug table and repeat the vol up and power. You can get other modes like Lenovo diag mode, keep trying til it says qualcomm.

Then hit the lowest download button. If it says error hit the table volume up key and press download again.

If it is working you'll see a movement left to right above the text log status section. If it is working you'll see a "reset" message and the table shows activity it is doing something there is a moving bar on the tablet. Keep repeating it takes 2 or 3 time phases where the tablet stops showing progress so then hit the download button. Eventually you get a normal boot and you're unbricked.
    Twrp 3.4.0-0 tb-8704

Hi Everyone,

As an experiment I wanted to see if I could compile TWRP for my TB-8704X so I started out using Matshias sources which worked fine. My next step was to see if updating the kernel would with the issue of not being able to see the internal storage with stock Android 8.1 so I then forked Matshias's Device Tree and updated kernel from 8704X_S001025_190606 and ran another compile test. With my build I'm now able to select Internal Storage with 8.1 so I believe the updated kernel fixes the issue where TWRP can't see and wipe partitions.

Credits to Matshias for providing his device tree
    Thanks to plutothot for helping test this on the TB-8704F

Updated to TWRP 3.4.0-0

Sources
    TWRP Manifest: https://github.com/minimal-manifest-twrp/platform_manifest_twrp_omni/tree/twrp-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-8704X): https://github.com/lancebukkake/twrp_device_lenovo_tb_8704/tree/android-7.1
    Device Tree (TB-8704F): https://github.com/lancebukkake/twrp_device_lenovo_tb_8704/tree/8704F
    Device Tree (TB-8704V): https://github.com/lancebukkake/twrp_device_lenovo_tb_8704v

Downloads (TB-8704X and TB-8704F are separate so make sure you download the correct img for your device)
    Github

Download for TB-8704V (shoutout to xsacx for testing it out)
    Github

Please click Thanks if I helped you
    I was having trouble flashing magisk-remount.zip from @dywersant on Magisk v17.1, so I updated the module on top of the 17 template. Find the file attached, I tried it and it flashes correctly and provides RW access.
    @matshias, you can update OP with a link to this post as well for users having the same problem.