TWRP backup Mi MIX 3, which partitions are needed?

Search This thread

marshedpotato

Jul 15, 2014
South East UK
Hello, I want to make a TWRP backup that I can restore if something go wrong. I have done this before on many handset but on this one I am seeing so many partitions I never saw before.
  • Data (excl. storage): 8693MB
  • Cache: 0MB
  • System: 2203MB
  • System Image: 3584MB
  • Boot: 64MB
  • dtbo: 8MB
  • Recovery: 64MB
  • Vendor: 701MB
  • Vendor Image: 1024MB
  • Firmware: 192MB
  • Persist: 1MB
  • Persist_backup: 0MB
  • bluetooth: 0MB
  • dsp: 24MB
  • cust: 711MB
  • splash: 24MB
  • logo: 32MB
  • devinfo: 16MB
  • fsg: 8MB
  • EFS: 16MB
  • msadp: 0MB
  • apdp: 0MB
  • xbl: 7MB
  • cmnlib64: 1MB
  • cmnlib: 1MB
  • keymaster: 1MB
  • hyp: 8MB
  • tz: 4MB
  • devcfg: 0MB

Why is there so many partitions and what are they for? If I want to do a backup that I can restore later which ones do I need to select? Any risks of leaving some unselected? I am sorry if this is a stupid question. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Mackay53

Apr 1, 2011
Edinburgh
Hello, I want to make a TWRP backup that I can restore if something go wrong. I have done this before on many handset but on this one I am seeing so many partitions I never saw before.
Data (excl. storage): 8693MB
Cache: 0MB
System: 2203MB
System Image: 3584MB
Boot: 64MB
dtbo: 8MB
Recovery: 64MB
Vendor: 701MB
Vendor Image: 1024MB
Firmware: 192MB
Persist: 1MB
Persist_backup: 0MB
bluetooth: 0MB
dsp: 24MB
cust: 711MB
splash: 24MB
logo: 32MB
devinfo: 16MB
fsg: 8MB
EFS: 16MB
msadp: 0MB
apdp: 0MB
xbl: 7MB
cmnlib64: 1MB
cmnlib: 1MB
keymaster: 1MB
hyp: 8MB
tz: 4MB
devcfg: 0MB

Why is there so many partitions and what are they for? If I want to do a backup that I can restore later which ones do I need to select? Any risks of leaving some unselected? I am sorry if this is a stupid question. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Boot, system, data

GVN.Gallus

Mar 12, 2013
Normally, you only need boot, system, data.
But if you want to testing, switching between rom other than stock, you MUST backup the following partitions in case anything goes wrong.

These partitions are originally for your devices, they contain IMEI, MAC address and other sensors calibrated data like gps, proximity...

Use partitions backup & restore from Wanam on Playstore.

Screenshot_2019-05-14-17-29-11-544_ma.wanam.partitions.png

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
Normally, you only need boot, system, data.
But if you want to testing, switching between rom other than stock, you MUST backup the following partitions in case anything goes wrong.

These partitions are originally for your devices, they contain IMEI, MAC address and other sensors calibrated data like gps, proximity...

Use partitions backup & restore from Wanam on Playstore.

View attachment 4758647

How do those partitions get altered by flashing another rom?

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
Dont know, but its your choice to backup or not.

You sounded pretty adamant about it in your first post. In ten years of flashing roms, I've never had one alter any partition other than /system through the flashing process. And in case of some act of god, the Xiaomi firmware contains all the partitions and can be restored with a flash all.

GVN.Gallus

Mar 12, 2013
You sounded pretty adamant about it in your first post. In ten years of flashing roms, I've never had one alter any partition other than /system through the flashing process. And in case of some act of god, the Xiaomi firmware contains all the partitions and can be restored with a flash all.

Then you don't own a xiaomi a1 i suppose?
I'm not a "ten years android user" like you, but i know what "backup" stand for in English.

Oh and to save your time, many Xiaomi A1 users end up borrow MAC address from others, because of critical LineageOS error that even Miflashtool can't recover, and ofcourse they don't backup their partitions, like you.

Last edited:

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
Then you don't own a xiaomi a1 i suppose?
I'm not a "ten years android user" like you, but i know what "backup" stand for in English.

Oh and to save your time, many Xiaomi A1 users end up borrow MAC address from others, because of critical LineageOS error that even Miflashtool can't recover, and ofcourse they don't backup their partitions, like you.

That's why I asked you the question in the first place, but you didn't answer.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone