• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP flashable stock images

Search This thread

Samson Lau

Dec 15, 2015
Safestrap users, see ggow's thread instead.

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Side note: if anyone's ever worked with the AROMA installer, shoot me a PM.

Hi,

How can I back to totally stock OS? (Means no TWRP recovery)

DroidDogg

Dec 5, 2010
- rename /system/etc/security/otacert.old to otacert.zip to be able to run OTA updates ask well as the other 2 .bak files in the system/priv-app remove .bak

FIGURED IT OUT F YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TOOK READING like 30 threads..... and a lot of hours

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
- rename /system/etc/security/otacert.old to otacert.zip to be able to run OTA updates ask well as the other 2 .bak files in the system/priv-app remove .bak

FIGURED IT OUT F YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TOOK READING like 30 threads..... and a lot of hours
Thanks for sharing. This file (and the others) were not supposed to be renamed in the Safestrap compatible version of 4.5.2. Something to make note of. If you flashed one of the images from this thread via Safestrap v4 then that's new territory as these images were intended for use with native TWRP.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Downloaded TWRP, no idea which APK to use to install
Can't install/use TWRP as bootloader is unlockable with FireOS > 3.2.6. Rollback not possible; device will brick.

Install Safestrap v4, launch app, install Safestrap recovery, reboot device, enter Safestrap recovery environment. While it looks like TWRP it offers none of the protections as it runs within the System partition. Device must be bootable to utilize Safestrap. Things to know:
- only use Kitkat roms specifically designed for SS v4 (cm11 or HDX Nexus)
- do not use secondary slots with SS v4; everything happens in the stock slot
- no adb access to SS v4; all required files must be on device
- always keep a recovery zip (rom) in the root of sd card (see previous point)
- never access stock recovery menu with SS v4 recovery installed; stock reset will brick device

Ask questions if unsure; better than a brick. :)

talkslow4me

May 16, 2016
Can't install/use TWRP as bootloader is unlockable with FireOS > 3.2.6. Rollback not possible; device will brick.

Install Safestrap v4, launch app, install Safestrap recovery, reboot device, enter Safestrap recovery environment. While it looks like TWRP it offers none of the protections as it runs within the System partition. Device must be bootable to utilize Safestrap. Things to know:
- never access stock recovery menu with SS v4 recovery installed; stock reset will brick device

Thanks.
This is EXACTLY what I needed.
Kind of confused since this is a HDX message board. And everyone is at the same version number. I have Fire HDX 4.5.5.1...im sure 99% of this forum have the same exact thing.
Why are there dozens of files to download from and 100s of messages to pour over? I spent days looking over everything.

And basically all i needed to do in the end is download a zip and a single apk?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks.
This is EXACTLY what I needed.
Kind of confused since this is a HDX message board. And everyone is at the same version number. I have Fire HDX 4.5.5.1...im sure 99% of this forum have the same exact thing.
Why are there dozens of files to download from and 100s of messages to pour over? I spent days looking over everything.

And basically all i needed to do in the end is download a zip and a single apk?
- Your small corner of the world is not representative
- Many older and/or previously modded devices can utilize TWRP and and a wider selection of custom roms. Primary knowledge base comes from those contributors
- Boards are maintained by unpaid volunteers who unselfishly share their time/talents and happen to have other lives
- Suggest the Genius Bar if seeking a more refined experience

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
@talkslow4me

FYI - the following information is now obsolete following a couple of recent 'discoveries' by other contributors:
- bootloader can now be unlocked on ANY 3rd gen HDX yielding access to the full suite of custom roms including Lollipop and Marshmallow based variants
- adb access for file transfer can be realized in Safestrap v4; relief for devices with a non-bootable rom (Safestrap v4 recovery must be accessible)

Look around the forums if interested in bootloader unlock or adb access from Safestrap v4.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

@EncryptedCurse

Hi - I am looking for TWRP flashable versions of FireOS 4.5.5.1 which is the last rootable build. Another contributor with an unlocked bootloader (TWRP 3.0.2 installed) is looking to roll back to FireOS 4.x and then install Safestrap v4 (don't ask - there's a good reason). Using a flashable version of 4.5.5.1 sans bootloader/recovery seems the most expeditious path. Can't use pure stock due to the potential of bricking given the presence of a custom recovery.

Are you still in the business of cranking out TWRP flashable builds of FireOS? I do not believe the contributor could work through Draxie's tool. Thanks in advance.

-Davey126

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

tvd0405

Oct 24, 2011
FireOS is a finicky beast. Try one of the custom roms (suggest Fire Nexus or CM 12.1) to rule out other issues with device and/or unlock.
I have no problem flashing those roms. Looking into the install.sctipt, it seems that the installation for stock rom is quite different than other custom rom. It extracts the system img to system partition and then creates whole bunch of symbolic links. My guess is my fire HDX may have permission issue. Don't know how to overcome this yet.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I have no problem flashing those roms. Looking into the install.sctipt, it seems that the installation for stock rom is quite different than other custom rom. It extracts the system img to system partition and then creates whole bunch of symbolic links. My guess is my fire HDX may have permission issue. Don't know how to overcome this yet.
Agreed. Unfortunately, most of the expertise regarding the unique characteristics of FireOS v4 (including underlying install permissions) has moved on or involved with other commitments. You may have to do some experimenting. Topic is above my pay grade. Sorry ...

tvd0405

Oct 24, 2011
Agreed. Unfortunately, most of the expertise regarding the unique characteristics of FireOS v4 (including underlying install permissions) has moved on or involved with other commitments. You may have to do some experimenting. Topic is above my pay grade. Sorry ...

I used the latest method of unlock (any firmware) and that could be the cause of symlink failed. Oh well, i will stay out of FireOS roms. Thanks

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I used the latest method of unlock (any firmware) and that could be the cause of symlink failed. Oh well, i will stay out of FireOS roms. Thanks
If you followed instructions in this thread and device was previously stable I doubt the unlock was done incorrectly or is influencing the symlink errors. Likely FireOS is being a bird of a different feather (again) along with a possible permissions issue as you surmised.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Tanks for your rely.
    I bought a used Thor and it comes with CM rom, so I have't tried stock fire os and just want aTWRP flashable stock fire os for Thor

Here you go: TWRP flashable FireOS 4.5.5.2 for Thor {link}.
    Same I was just curious. I was on v4 and loving it but google services updated and started crashing continually so im on slim and besides Bluetooth issues its great. Thanks for reply

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

As an aside I'm running v4 with the latest Google Services (7.8.99) and have not experienced any problems. FCs, etc are rare.
    Just FYI @Davey126 flashing TWRP from fastboot is the easiest task that can be done with working fastboot (plus in case of HDX with unlocked bootloader, which is necessary). I did flash TWRP several times via fastboot just to confirm to me that I have unlocked bootloader...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img

Obviously there is a lot of space for user error (faulty usb cable, corrupt download, drunk dude trying to do something he seen, hear, watched somewhere, etc.), and that is what is really dangerous here... irresponsible peoples trying to do something they do not understand (at least partially)...

Sorry, I often include screenshots to prove my assertions, but right now I am not in the mood to fight again with fastboot drivers for windows, which are probably live their own life thinking "G**O user, we are not going to flash ANYTHING today!" :p

@jeryll - lol! Thanks for brightening my (otherwise miserable) day on two fronts:
    - confirming flashing twrp from fastboot on a HDX with an unlocked bootloader is fast/easy and including the commands to do so
    - some fine humor on how people get themselves in trouble!

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Success! I guess the factory reset did the trick, but I now have this ROM successfully working. After double checking that the correct files were renamed to hopefully prevent an OTA update, I turned airplane mode back off, went into settings and restarted the registration and everything went smoothly! Only problem was since I had sideloaded ES File Explorer, it said it had to be updated because the original one was not signed (it was a newer version than the latest one available in the Amazon store). So,..... I think it is working okay. If any issues arise, or if I get OTA'ed I will report back.
    Next to try GAPPS.
    Great! Glad it worked.

For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this tread: A factory reset in twrp is completely different from a similarly named action invoked from the native HDX recovery menu. The former decisively wipes the Data, Cache and Dalvik partitions which usually beneficial/mandatory when flashing a new rom. The latter has an undefined scope but appears to wipe at least the data partition. Unfortunately, it often has undesirable side effects ranging from 'nothing' to soft bricking the device. A factory reset from the native recovery menu should only be done as a last resort or when instructed by an experienced HDX dev/tweaker.
    Amazon doesn't have a service department, basically anything that gets returned gets recycled I believe.
    It is my understanding the vast majority of returned Amazon devices (tablets, phones, echo, etc) are refurbished which then go out as warranty replacements and occasionally sold direct. A small number are likely inspected further to identify failure trends. I doubt there is any effort to examine customizations as that could get into a legal grey area if there is user 'data' on the device. A full wipe is probably one of the first steps taken. That's the way many depots operate.