• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP flashable stock images

Search This thread

Koile

Oct 11, 2009
Try changing the mount-state for "system" in TWRP, that did the trick for me.
And having the newest version of TWRP caused some trouble too in some occasions.

Last edited:

tvd0405

Oct 24, 2011
If you followed instructions in this thread and device was previously stable I doubt the unlock was done incorrectly or is influencing the symlink errors. Likely FireOS is being a bird of a different feather (again) along with a possible permissions issue as you surmised.

I finally was able to flash the stock rom if downloaded directly to the tablet. I was using mtp to transfer the zip file from my pc and for some reason these zip files from the stock roms were more sensitive than the one from other roms.

Reactions: DB126

j0vi

Nov 10, 2012
I finally was able to flash the stock rom if downloaded directly to the tablet. I was using mtp to transfer the zip file from my pc and for some reason these zip files from the stock roms were more sensitive than the one from other roms.

I had same issue when moving back from LineageOS 14.1 to stock rom 4.5.5.2 and I think it's not related to mtp transfer. Update always stopped with that symlink error no matter if image was transferred with mtp or downloaded from web. I found out that flashing CM12 first and then without booting the device flashing the modified TWRP compatible stock rom, the update process goes thru successfully. Then I wiped all other partitions except System (& External partition). After booting the FireOS for the first time you might need to skip the Kindle Fire registration, otherwise it might end up into endless loop that keeps asking for language settings for device all and all over again. If that happens you can wipe all partitions except System again with TWRP and boot -> set language -> skip Kindle Fire registration -> you have working device again. You can register your device afterwards without any problems.

My TWRP version is 3.0.3-1

tselling

Dec 12, 2006
No luck with Prime Instant Videos

I keep getting Unknown_Error and License_Error. Any idea how to fix? I read someone said something about trying Amazon Underground but doesn't show as compatible with my Fire HDX. I installed this ROM to a Thor LTE model with unlocked bootloader and TWRP.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I keep getting Unknown_Error and License_Error. Any idea how to fix? I read someone said something about trying Amazon Underground but doesn't show as compatible with my Fire HDX. I installed this ROM to a Thor LTE model with unlocked bootloader and TWRP.
These are old images that are no longer maintained. You'd be better off going with a custom ROM and using Underground to get Amazon specific content.

moonsoo

Jun 29, 2015
I had same issue when moving back from LineageOS 14.1 to stock rom 4.5.5.2 and I think it's not related to mtp transfer. Update always stopped with that symlink error no matter if image was transferred with mtp or downloaded from web. I found out that flashing CM12 first and then without booting the device flashing the modified TWRP compatible stock rom, the update process goes thru successfully. Then I wiped all other partitions except System (& External partition). After booting the FireOS for the first time you might need to skip the Kindle Fire registration, otherwise it might end up into endless loop that keeps asking for language settings for device all and all over again. If that happens you can wipe all partitions except System again with TWRP and boot -> set language -> skip Kindle Fire registration -> you have working device again. You can register your device afterwards without any problems.

Hi,
quick Question, where did you get the stock ROM from?
I tried 2 version available here but both do not play prime video in full HD only in HD.
Something seems to be broken as downloading and playing in full HD works.
It's not a 100% dealbreaker but as the display is still stellar it would be a pitty.:D

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,
quick Question, where did you get the stock ROM from?
I tried 2 version available here but both do not play prime video in full HD only in HD.
Something seems to be broken as downloading and playing in full HD works.
It's not a 100% dealbreaker but as the display is still stellar it would be a pitty.:D
The repackaged zips in the OP if this thread are the latest available that have been tested in the wild. You can also try a different build here (link toward bottom of post) but I would expect a similar result. I don't know if FireOS v4 supported full HD streaming from the integrated Amazon app. We're going back 2-3 years when HD streams was still the norm for mobile devices.

moonsoo

Jun 29, 2015
With real stock 4.5.5.2 the videos were played in full HD!
Did someone tried to upHDX a 4.5.5.2 ROM?
Or is there a way to use TWRP to flash real stock ROM?
Saw some thraeds that it dowes not work right away as the device is now a cm_thor and not a thor... -)
As Kingroot works now gapps should be no issue.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
With real stock 4.5.5.2 the videos were played in full HD!
Did someone tried to upHDX a 4.5.5.2 ROM?
Or is there a way to use TWRP to flash real stock ROM?
Saw some thraeds that it dowes not work right away as the device is now a cm_thor and not a thor... -)
As Kingroot works now gapps should be no issue.
The procedure/tools to create a flashable "real" stock 4.5.5.2 ROM are discussed in post #77 of this thread. That said, I'm not sure this will solve your problem as untouched HDX devices running stock FireOS seem to possess some unique capabilities relative to video playback. I'm sure the mystery is solvable for someone willing to invest the time/effort to peal back the onion.

As for achieving a reliable/stable GAapps install on FireOS v4 - good luck. Yes, it is possible to get the Play Service/Store working but I have yet to encounter someone who has achieved that without expending considerable time/effort on initial setup and/or ongoing maintenance. FireOS v5 has proven to be a much friendlier host to a full or pared down GAaps install. Unfortunately, v5 is not currently an option on this device.

moonsoo

Jun 29, 2015
Gapps seems to work quite good.
If I extract the amazon prime video app to an apk file.
Is there a way to install it to another android tablet?
I have a Samsung tab S2 but it dows not work as it is not compatible.
I know there is a version for shield tablet with full HD capability... ;)

st0wz

Jun 28, 2012

how to register device? I can not finish it. The serial number is 0000, and amazon can not help me.

Yousucks2

Oct 19, 2017
Someone has will plan upload last 4.5.5.3 Repacked ROM? Just in case if custom rom's doesnt work fine for my daily driver, with fireOS4 i almost covered all the missing things, versus a stock rom, but always fun try custom roms.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Someone has will plan upload last 4.5.5.3 Repacked ROM? Just in case if custom rom's doesnt work fine for my daily driver, with fireOS4 i almost covered all the missing things, versus a stock rom, but always fun try custom roms.
Unlikely anyone has repackaged 4.5.5.3. Best fallbacks are flashable FireOS 4.5.2 or Fire Nexus KTU84Q (preferred). You can also backup your current FireOS install from TWRP.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/orig-development/rom-fire-nexus-rom-ktu84q-t3322931

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Safestrap users, see ggow's thread instead.

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
    I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Side note: if anyone's ever worked with the AROMA installer, shoot me a PM.
    Tanks for your rely.
    I bought a used Thor and it comes with CM rom, so I have't tried stock fire os and just want aTWRP flashable stock fire os for Thor

Here you go: TWRP flashable FireOS 4.5.5.2 for Thor {link}.
    Same I was just curious. I was on v4 and loving it but google services updated and started crashing continually so im on slim and besides Bluetooth issues its great. Thanks for reply

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

As an aside I'm running v4 with the latest Google Services (7.8.99) and have not experienced any problems. FCs, etc are rare.
    Just FYI @Davey126 flashing TWRP from fastboot is the easiest task that can be done with working fastboot (plus in case of HDX with unlocked bootloader, which is necessary). I did flash TWRP several times via fastboot just to confirm to me that I have unlocked bootloader...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img

Obviously there is a lot of space for user error (faulty usb cable, corrupt download, drunk dude trying to do something he seen, hear, watched somewhere, etc.), and that is what is really dangerous here... irresponsible peoples trying to do something they do not understand (at least partially)...

Sorry, I often include screenshots to prove my assertions, but right now I am not in the mood to fight again with fastboot drivers for windows, which are probably live their own life thinking "G**O user, we are not going to flash ANYTHING today!" :p

@jeryll - lol! Thanks for brightening my (otherwise miserable) day on two fronts:
    - confirming flashing twrp from fastboot on a HDX with an unlocked bootloader is fast/easy and including the commands to do so
    - some fine humor on how people get themselves in trouble!

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Success! I guess the factory reset did the trick, but I now have this ROM successfully working. After double checking that the correct files were renamed to hopefully prevent an OTA update, I turned airplane mode back off, went into settings and restarted the registration and everything went smoothly! Only problem was since I had sideloaded ES File Explorer, it said it had to be updated because the original one was not signed (it was a newer version than the latest one available in the Amazon store). So,..... I think it is working okay. If any issues arise, or if I get OTA'ed I will report back.
    Next to try GAPPS.
    Great! Glad it worked.

For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this tread: A factory reset in twrp is completely different from a similarly named action invoked from the native HDX recovery menu. The former decisively wipes the Data, Cache and Dalvik partitions which usually beneficial/mandatory when flashing a new rom. The latter has an undefined scope but appears to wipe at least the data partition. Unfortunately, it often has undesirable side effects ranging from 'nothing' to soft bricking the device. A factory reset from the native recovery menu should only be done as a last resort or when instructed by an experienced HDX dev/tweaker.
    Amazon doesn't have a service department, basically anything that gets returned gets recycled I believe.
    It is my understanding the vast majority of returned Amazon devices (tablets, phones, echo, etc) are refurbished which then go out as warranty replacements and occasionally sold direct. A small number are likely inspected further to identify failure trends. I doubt there is any effort to examine customizations as that could get into a legal grey area if there is user 'data' on the device. A full wipe is probably one of the first steps taken. That's the way many depots operate.