• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP flashable stock images

Search This thread

Uzerexample

Feb 21, 2018
OTA re-enable

Safestrap users, see ggow's thread instead.

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Side note: if anyone's ever worked with the AROMA installer, shoot me a PM.

If I were to install an ota update, would it completely reset everything 100% to stock? (every partition) If so, how do I re-enable OTA updates.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
If I were to install an ota update, would it completely reset everything 100% to stock? (every partition) If so, how do I re-enable OTA updates.
It will not. An OTA update simply modifies the contents of the system partition and optionally other common partitions (bootloader, recovery, etc). There is no evidence other partitions are routinely refreshed.

aaronkatrini

Feb 20, 2012
rome, italy
Can some please re-upload the 4.5.5.2 modified for Thor?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm really enjoying the build from the first post, please don't bother uploading the newer one, thanks OP!!!

Last edited:

BiggJ

Oct 9, 2010
Does anyone have a working link for a stock image for Thor? I'm about to give away my old Fire HDX and I never found Fire Nexus to be all that stable.

yindan007

Mar 31, 2019

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

update-kindle-37.6.2.6_user_626533320.bin how to make zips

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Does anyone have a working link for a stock image for Thor? I'm about to give away my old Fire HDX and I never found Fire Nexus to be all that stable.
LOS 14.1 works fine on this device (unless you need bluetooth). Penning this response on an 7 year old HDX that is still my go-to small tablet. That said, it takes a bit of work to ready the device for custom ROMs beyond the Fire Nexus generation.

derelitto

Apr 7, 2015
Anyone have the flashable zip for Thor? I need Bluetooth and 4G functionality that none of the LineageOS variants can provide (at least, not bug free).

foxmumu

Dec 27, 2020

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Can you upload the file twrp stock firmware 4.5.5 of thor again? The original link is useless. Thanks a lot!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Tanks for your rely.
    I bought a used Thor and it comes with CM rom, so I have't tried stock fire os and just want aTWRP flashable stock fire os for Thor

Here you go: TWRP flashable FireOS 4.5.5.2 for Thor {link}.
    Same I was just curious. I was on v4 and loving it but google services updated and started crashing continually so im on slim and besides Bluetooth issues its great. Thanks for reply

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

As an aside I'm running v4 with the latest Google Services (7.8.99) and have not experienced any problems. FCs, etc are rare.
    Just FYI @Davey126 flashing TWRP from fastboot is the easiest task that can be done with working fastboot (plus in case of HDX with unlocked bootloader, which is necessary). I did flash TWRP several times via fastboot just to confirm to me that I have unlocked bootloader...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img

Obviously there is a lot of space for user error (faulty usb cable, corrupt download, drunk dude trying to do something he seen, hear, watched somewhere, etc.), and that is what is really dangerous here... irresponsible peoples trying to do something they do not understand (at least partially)...

Sorry, I often include screenshots to prove my assertions, but right now I am not in the mood to fight again with fastboot drivers for windows, which are probably live their own life thinking "G**O user, we are not going to flash ANYTHING today!" :p

@jeryll - lol! Thanks for brightening my (otherwise miserable) day on two fronts:
    - confirming flashing twrp from fastboot on a HDX with an unlocked bootloader is fast/easy and including the commands to do so
    - some fine humor on how people get themselves in trouble!

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Success! I guess the factory reset did the trick, but I now have this ROM successfully working. After double checking that the correct files were renamed to hopefully prevent an OTA update, I turned airplane mode back off, went into settings and restarted the registration and everything went smoothly! Only problem was since I had sideloaded ES File Explorer, it said it had to be updated because the original one was not signed (it was a newer version than the latest one available in the Amazon store). So,..... I think it is working okay. If any issues arise, or if I get OTA'ed I will report back.
    Next to try GAPPS.
    Great! Glad it worked.

For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this tread: A factory reset in twrp is completely different from a similarly named action invoked from the native HDX recovery menu. The former decisively wipes the Data, Cache and Dalvik partitions which usually beneficial/mandatory when flashing a new rom. The latter has an undefined scope but appears to wipe at least the data partition. Unfortunately, it often has undesirable side effects ranging from 'nothing' to soft bricking the device. A factory reset from the native recovery menu should only be done as a last resort or when instructed by an experienced HDX dev/tweaker.
    Amazon doesn't have a service department, basically anything that gets returned gets recycled I believe.
    It is my understanding the vast majority of returned Amazon devices (tablets, phones, echo, etc) are refurbished which then go out as warranty replacements and occasionally sold direct. A small number are likely inspected further to identify failure trends. I doubt there is any effort to examine customizations as that could get into a legal grey area if there is user 'data' on the device. A full wipe is probably one of the first steps taken. That's the way many depots operate.