TWRP flashable stock images

Search This thread

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014
Safestrap users, see ggow's thread instead.

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Side note: if anyone's ever worked with the AROMA installer, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

FotixChiang

Jan 6, 2015
Suzhou
That‘s really great.
Maybe someday we will have the whole family of TWRP flashable HDX Fire OS. :smile: :p

---
BTW
any way to root it?

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Excellent - Thank you!!

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates.
I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date should Amazon push any new versions. Feel free to make requests for any previous releases.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

bmccoy11

Dec 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
bmccoy.me
I can't get this to work after wiping my system, dalvik cache, and cache partitions. It gets stuck at "Finishing startup..." or "Starting applications...".

Edit: Wiped /data and now it boots, but the setup screen force closes.

Last edited:

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014
I can't get this to work after wiping my system, dalvik cache, and cache partitions. It gets stuck at "Finishing startup..." or "Starting applications...".

Edit: Wiped /data and now it boots, but the setup screen force closes.

Sorry, I didn't bother testing. Looks like I renamed one too many APKs that are required during setup.
I've uploaded the new versions (which should also disable lockscreen ads).

bmccoy11

Dec 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
bmccoy.me
Sorry, I didn't bother testing. Looks like I renamed one too many APKs that are required during setup.
I've uploaded the new versions (which should also disable lockscreen ads).
Looks like my Kindle is softbricked, for now, at least. For some reason, USB storage no longer works on my HDX and neither of my PCs recognize it in recovery or fastboot mode. Could you tell me the APK you renamed so I can rename it back in TWRP?

Anyone else having same issues?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

I
And mega app wants to be used to download this .. Thanks for keeping this great tab relative..I'll hold a spell until the wrinkles are worked out

EncryptedCurse

Jul 9, 2014
Looks like my Kindle is softbricked, for now, at least. For some reason, USB storage no longer works on my HDX and neither of my PCs recognize it in recovery or fastboot mode. Could you tell me the APK you renamed so I can rename it back in TWRP?

Try removing the .bak extension on /priv-app/DeviceSoftwareOTAContracts.apk and /app/otaverifier.apk.
Everything is working fine on my end, so I'm not sure what else to tell you.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I renamed those two applications back in TWRP, and it still isn't booting... :/
You may want to refocus your efforts on getting device to communicate with a host in fastboot and then repair (reflash) twrp from there. Assuming you have an unlocked bootloader as that was a prerequisite for previous steps. I know it sounds stupid but try switching USB cables; amazing how often that works. Also do the driver dance on your preferred host, get rid of any hubs, only use USB2 ports, etc. Anything to get it communicating again.

You'll need to research how to flash twrp from fastboot. This is obviously dangerous and to my knowledge has not been attempted on a HDX. Theoretically possible and one of the many reasons for running with an unlocked bootloader. Good luck.

texmexdud

Jun 20, 2013
I have an unlocked bootloader (Apollo, have been running on 14.3.1.0 in a safestrap slot for the past two years, waiting for unlock, then flashed the bootloader update to 14.3.2.3 and TWRP 2.8.7.0), I did a basic wipe in TWRP, then flashed this ROM via TWRP, but after rebooting, then connecting to WiFi and entering my Amazon registration info, it asks for language selection then starts the normal UI temporarily then immediately goes back to asking for language selection, repeating over and over.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Davey
126 did it work for you. Love to try it
Not yet - waiting for reported issue(s) to play out. Currently on Nexus v4 (v2 prior) and not missing out any Amazon functionality so would only flash this to confirm install procedures and basic functionality. Personal preference item; I understand some prefer FireOS UI and don't need access to Google Play/Services.

Not yet - waiting for reported issue(s) to play out. Currently on Nexus v4 (v2 prior) and not missing out any Amazon functionality so would only flash this to confirm install procedures and basic functionality. Personal preference item; I understand some prefer FireOS UI and don't need access to Google Play/Services.

Same I was just curious. I was on v4 and loving it but google services updated and started crashing continually so im on slim and besides Bluetooth issues its great. Thanks for reply

bmccoy11

Dec 30, 2013
Seattle, WA
bmccoy.me
fyi, adb works IN twrp, so as long as you have working adb and twrp, you can adb push a new zip to /sdcard to install...

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk

Of course, I've already tried ADB and fastboot. It won't show up in the device manager at all, I've tried different USB cables, different PCs, I even disassembled it to make sure the connections from the back plate to the mainboard were good. My mainboard must be bad.

_Alex_

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 21, 2005
San Jose, CA
Of course, I've already tried ADB and fastboot. It won't show up in the device manager at all, I've tried different USB cables, different PCs, I even disassembled it to make sure the connections from the back plate to the mainboard were good. My mainboard must be bad.

I just looked at the apollo image zip and noticed that the modem is still installed from the updater script... (hmm, your 4.5.2 for Thor also has the modem install too). I was just about to test drive this too, but I'm not up for modem backups tonight.

Has anyone ever gotten this to work?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Same I was just curious. I was on v4 and loving it but google services updated and started crashing continually so im on slim and besides Bluetooth issues its great. Thanks for reply

As an aside I'm running v4 with the latest Google Services (7.8.99) and have not experienced any problems. FCs, etc are rare.

Reactions: davekaz

jeryll

Dec 23, 2010
Lenovo P11
Realme GT
... how to flash twrp from fastboot. This is obviously dangerous and to my knowledge has not been attempted on a HDX. Theoretically possible and one of the many reasons for running with an unlocked bootloader. Good luck.

Just FYI @Davey126 flashing TWRP from fastboot is the easiest task that can be done with working fastboot (plus in case of HDX with unlocked bootloader, which is necessary). I did flash TWRP several times via fastboot just to confirm to me that I have unlocked bootloader...

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img

Obviously there is a lot of space for user error (faulty usb cable, corrupt download, drunk dude trying to do something he seen, hear, watched somewhere, etc.), and that is what is really dangerous here... irresponsible peoples trying to do something they do not understand (at least partially)...

Sorry, I often include screenshots to prove my assertions, but right now I am not in the mood to fight again with fastboot drivers for windows, which are probably live their own life thinking "G**O user, we are not going to flash ANYTHING today!" :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Using draxie's tool (upHDX), I've created TWRP-friendly ZIPs of the stock firmware that leave the recovery and bootloader intact. Moreover, I've disabled OTA updates as well as lockscreen ads.

4.5.5 (user_455001320)

Tanks for your rely.
    I bought a used Thor and it comes with CM rom, so I have't tried stock fire os and just want aTWRP flashable stock fire os for Thor

Here you go: TWRP flashable FireOS 4.5.5.2 for Thor {link}.

As an aside I'm running v4 with the latest Google Services (7.8.99) and have not experienced any problems. FCs, etc are rare.
    Just FYI @Davey126 flashing TWRP from fastboot is the easiest task that can be done with working fastboot (plus in case of HDX with unlocked bootloader, which is necessary). I did flash TWRP several times via fastboot just to confirm to me that I have unlocked bootloader...

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery_image_name.img

Obviously there is a lot of space for user error (faulty usb cable, corrupt download, drunk dude trying to do something he seen, hear, watched somewhere, etc.), and that is what is really dangerous here... irresponsible peoples trying to do something they do not understand (at least partially)...

Sorry, I often include screenshots to prove my assertions, but right now I am not in the mood to fight again with fastboot drivers for windows, which are probably live their own life thinking "G**O user, we are not going to flash ANYTHING today!" :p

@jeryll - lol! Thanks for brightening my (otherwise miserable) day on two fronts:
    - confirming flashing twrp from fastboot on a HDX with an unlocked bootloader is fast/easy and including the commands to do so
    - some fine humor on how people get themselves in trouble!

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

Success! I guess the factory reset did the trick, but I now have this ROM successfully working. After double checking that the correct files were renamed to hopefully prevent an OTA update, I turned airplane mode back off, went into settings and restarted the registration and everything went smoothly! Only problem was since I had sideloaded ES File Explorer, it said it had to be updated because the original one was not signed (it was a newer version than the latest one available in the Amazon store). So,..... I think it is working okay. If any issues arise, or if I get OTA'ed I will report back.
    Next to try GAPPS.
    Great! Glad it worked.

For the benefit of those who may stumble upon this tread: A factory reset in twrp is completely different from a similarly named action invoked from the native HDX recovery menu. The former decisively wipes the Data, Cache and Dalvik partitions which usually beneficial/mandatory when flashing a new rom. The latter has an undefined scope but appears to wipe at least the data partition. Unfortunately, it often has undesirable side effects ranging from 'nothing' to soft bricking the device. A factory reset from the native recovery menu should only be done as a last resort or when instructed by an experienced HDX dev/tweaker.
    Hi all...

I need to go back to Stock firmware on my Apollo.

I don't have any backups. I am currently on LineageOS 14. Can someone share the TWRP friendly version for Apollo? (links are dead)

Thank you.