TWRP for Pixel 6/7?

Search This thread

Max0nchik

Jan 9, 2023
Google Pixel 6a
Why won't Team Win make TWRP for the pixel 6/7 line? Maybe I don't know something and there are some restrictions? This would really make it easier to create/install firmware and GSI firmware

Max0nchik

Jan 9, 2023
Google Pixel 6a
TWRP is generally of little use on Pixel devices, which do not have a recovery partition. Since the bootloaders are easily unlocked and accept flashing commands, firmware can be flashed via ADB.

Installing GSIs is easy, just flash the system image to /system.
I have spent more than 6 days installing Moto UI,OneUI,MIUI. Nothing helped, you need permissive magisk, which can only be installed via TWRP, and if you put it from a task in the system, then it does not want to work... Maybe I'm doing something wrong, if it's not difficult, could you give me instructions on installing GSI?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I have spent more than 6 days installing Moto UI,OneUI,MIUI. Nothing helped, you need permissive magisk, which can only be installed via TWRP, and if you put it from a task in the system, then it does not want to work... Maybe I'm doing something wrong, if it's not difficult, could you give me instructions on installing GSI?
I literally just told you. GSIs come as an image. Flash to /system. Only works if the system partition is bigger than the image. Not sure how to safely resize.

There's also several guides around XDA that can help you. There's also the official Android Source guide.

DevanteWeary

Feb 15, 2012
Nexus 6
Huawei Nexus 6P
Kind of wanted to follow up...

If recovery on Pixel isn't that useful (I don't know how much I agree with that. TWRP has saved me multiple times on my Pixel 5 and 2XL in the past), what is everyone doing for backing up/restoring the entire phone image?

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
Which MIUI gsi did you try? thanks

mac231us

Oct 26, 2010
All a13 on nippon chanel
Thanks-I got this in hopes of trying some gsi's - returning it sadly ...and this is not related to your efforts but just in general about this device-am not interested in some super security graphene o/s etc....for that I simply take out my google account and don't sync (re-add it once in a while for some update) (and also remove many google apps, and change permissions in all or lock them down) regardless which flavor of android I am on....even the overlooked snooping gboard

Miustone

Jul 23, 2012
Google Pixel 7 Pro
This should fix it without TWRP
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_system_a vbmeta_system.img
Same for the b slot. You will find the needed images in the Factory Images ig.

motolio

Oct 27, 2008
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto G7 Power

If recovery on Pixel isn't that useful (I don't know how much I agree with that. TWRP has saved me multiple times on my Pixel 5 and 2XL in the past), what is everyone doing for backing up/restoring the entire phone image?
Absolutely agree. I like to randomly change things and revert... Like all the time. This is the first phone I can't really play with the way I like.

Reactions: BROKEN1981

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
TWRP is generally of little use on Pixel devices, which do not have a recovery partition. Since the bootloaders are easily unlocked and accept flashing commands, firmware can be flashed via ADB.

TWRP is never needed solely for flashing, given that we have fastboot and other similar utilities.

The main reason for my and many others' usage of TWRP is for nandroid backup/restore capabilities.

Only being able to backup and restore apps in the /data partition (for example, with a utility like SwiftBackup) is far from enough for many of us. It's much more helpful and important to be able to backup and restore /system, /boot, and other system-level partitions, as well ... and nandroid permits this.

TWRP and OrangeFox are the only utilities I know about which offer nandroid backup and restore.

Reactions: V0latyle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TWRP is never needed solely for flashing, given that we have fastboot and other similar utilities.

The main reason for my and many others' usage of TWRP is for nandroid backup/restore capabilities.

Only being able to backup and restore apps in the /data partition (for example, with a utility like SwiftBackup) is far from enough for many of us. It's much more helpful and important to be able to backup and restore /system, /boot, and other system-level partitions, as well ... and nandroid permits this.

TWRP and OrangeFox are the only utilities I know about which offer nandroid backup and restore.
    Which MIUI gsi did you try? thanks
    All a13 on nippon chanel

Absolutely agree. I like to randomly change things and revert... Like all the time. This is the first phone I can't really play with the way I like.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixel6/comments/r8ylqf/_/i2u2n0p
    This should help u understand. Btw. Lineage OS and some ROMs are coming with own Recoveries since quite a Time. Had Xperias for long without TWRP and it sucked. But TWRP has hard Times with modern Android so...