• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

TWRP For Samsung Galaxy Tab S7?

Search This thread

Siegemus

Hello. This is my first ever post on XDA, so please excuse any mistakes. Recently, I have been wanting to install TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 (Model Codename: SM-T870), however, I haven't found any .img files available, either official or unofficial. I have been able to root it using Magisk and Odin, however. My tablet is currently running Android 11 with a build number of RP1A.200720.012.T870XXU2BUC6. From what I've read online, the "2" in the "T870XXU2BUC6" section of the build number means that the Bootloader is on Version 2, meaning that I can't downgrade to software versions with a 1 in the software name (i.e. with a Bootloader version of 1). This includes Android 10, and some older versions of Android 11, even if I use the latest version of Odin and if I'm rooted. I know how to install different distros and versions of Linux for creating TWRP from scratch if need be. If someone would be willing to either guide me through the process of creating TWRP for this device, or include a link to an already existing version of TWRP for this device (remember, Android 11, Build Number: "RP1A.200720.012.T870XXU2BUC"), I would greatly appreciate it. All I ask is that the guide(s)/tutorial(s) be in layman's terms, and be step-by-step. I am not very familiar with Linux Commands, so I would appreciate some grace when replying to this post, as I may not be able to understand some terms. Thanks! :)

Jerry12798

Hello. This is my first ever post on XDA, so please excuse any mistakes. Recently, I have been wanting to install TWRP on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 (Model Codename: SM-T870), however, I haven't found any .img files available, either official or unofficial. I have been able to root it using Magisk and Odin, however. My tablet is currently running Android 11 with a build number of RP1A.200720.012.T870XXU2BUC6. From what I've read online, the "2" in the "T870XXU2BUC6" section of the build number means that the Bootloader is on Version 2, meaning that I can't downgrade to software versions with a 1 in the software name (i.e. with a Bootloader version of 1). This includes Android 10, and some older versions of Android 11, even if I use the latest version of Odin and if I'm rooted. I know how to install different distros and versions of Linux for creating TWRP from scratch if need be. If someone would be willing to either guide me through the process of creating TWRP for this device, or include a link to an already existing version of TWRP for this device (remember, Android 11, Build Number: "RP1A.200720.012.T870XXU2BUC"), I would greatly appreciate it. All I ask is that the guide(s)/tutorial(s) be in layman's terms, and be step-by-step. I am not very familiar with Linux Commands, so I would appreciate some grace when replying to this post, as I may not be able to understand some terms. Thanks! :)
Any luck? I've yet to find any TWRP for the SM-T870

bxlentpartyon

Aug 19, 2020
I tried it on my rooted stock ROM, and on ODIN, it got stuck on "file analysis". If there's a way for me to customize the stock ROM to disable vbmeta and dm-verity, please let me know, so I can hopefully try that, and then flash it again.
If you take a look here:

There is a vbmeta_disabled.tar that worked for me on my T870. Also, in response to your May post about a guide to building TWRP for the device, I wrote one while I was doing my build. It is posted as a response to my TWRP thread here:

I tried to make it as step-by-step as possible, but I don't know if I'd say that it's all in layman's terms. I basically only know Linux/Unix (I have not done any development on Windows for 10+ years), so it's hard for me to know what could be/needs to be simplified.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have and I'll be glad to help out.

Siegemus

@bxlentpartyon Hi. I'm currently following the guide you linked earlier, and so far only a couple things haven't been working. 1) The "git checkout master" command returns "Already on 'master'". 2) The "git merge stock-11" command returns "merge: stock-11 - not something we can merge". 3) The "./run_menuconfig" command returns "bash: ./run_menuconfig: No such file or directory". I'm currently stuck on this, and so far everything else has been working perfectly. Please help!

bxlentpartyon

Aug 19, 2020
@bxlentpartyon Hi. I'm currently following the guide you linked earlier, and so far only a couple things haven't been working. 1) The "git checkout master" command returns "Already on 'master'". 2) The "git merge stock-11" command returns "merge: stock-11 - not something we can merge". 3) The "./run_menuconfig" command returns "bash: ./run_menuconfig: No such file or directory". I'm currently stuck on this, and so far everything else has been working perfectly. Please help!
The issue here is partially that my write-up details everything that I did to run the build, but you won't need to do some of that, since I already pushed my kernel source tree (with the git merge bit of things already done) up to github.

What you can do is replace the:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/ianmacd/gts7xl

Step with:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/bxlentpartyon/gts7lwifi

And then skip down to the Build the Kernel step.

Honestly, though, the more I'm looking at it, I'm realizing that I should probably create a stripped down version of this whole write-up where I explain _just_ how to reproduce my TWRP build, and skip over the stuff about building the kernel and hacking up the device tree. That won't take me long to do, but it might be a day or two before I get to it. I unfortunately have to spend my week hacking on kernels for profit in order to pay for the things that I need to hack on them for fun lol.

Siegemus

I'm on the "building the kernel" step, and when I run "./build_t870", I get this message: "Makefile:128: *** main directory cannot contain spaces nor colons. Stop.", along with a large section of text before that. Is this an error message? what should I do?

Siegemus

I renamed my main foldr from "Making TWRP" to "Making_TWRP", and that did the trick. However, when I ran "./build_t870", I came across this error:
"YACC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
/bin/sh: 1: bison: not found
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:207: scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
LEX scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
make[1]: *** [Makefile:545: syncconfig] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:654: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2" How do I solve this? Sorry for bothering you with all these replies, btw.

bxlentpartyon

Aug 19, 2020
when I ran "./build_t870", I came across this error:
"YACC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
/bin/sh: 1: bison: not found
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.lib:207: scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c] Error 127
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
LEX scripts/kconfig/zconf.lex.c
make: *** [Makefile:654: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2" How do I solve this? Sorry for bothering you with all these replies, btw.
No worries. That's just because you're missing the bison package. What linux distro are you using? Most have some kind of "build essentials" package set you can install that would probably include everything you need to build a kernel. In any case, to fix that, you just need to install bison with zypper/dnf/yum/apt or whatever package manager your distro uses. In general if you see a <something>: not found error, it just means you're missing a program.

Siegemus

Hi again. For some reason, I'm now getting THIS error message after installing the bison and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS build-essential packages, like you said:
"make[2]: *** [scripts/kconfig/Makefile:69: syncconfig] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:654: include/config/auto.conf.cmd] Error 2"

bxlentpartyon

Aug 19, 2020
Ah, that's probably because of more differences between what I did and what you'll have to do with my final tree. Try:

Code:
cp arch/arm64/configs/vendor/gts7lwifi_eur_open_klugman_defconfig ./.config

In your kernel tree. I think the problem is just the missing config. I'm probably gonna have to bail for the night after this. Our air is all smoky from the Canadian wildfires and I'm real dizzy from breathing it.

Siegemus

Honestly, though, the more I'm looking at it, I'm realizing that I should probably create a stripped down version of this whole write-up where I explain _just_ how to reproduce my TWRP build, and skip over the stuff about building the kernel and hacking up the device tree. That won't take me long to do, but it might be a day or two before I get to it. I unfortunately have to spend my week hacking on kernels for profit in order to pay for the things that I need to hack on them for fun lol.
Hello. It's me again. I hope you are doing well. In hopes to prevent future error messages, and subsequent troubleshoots, would you be willing to let me know if and/or when you have created the stripped-down version of this guide on how to reproduce your TWRP build?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nvm, I got the recovery.img successfully, and converted it to .tar format. However, when I flash it and boot into TWRP, it shows a blue screen with a little bit of the menu showing up. What do I do to fix this?
    You figure out what the problem is lol :p This is the same issue that everyone else who's built TWRP for this tablet has had. I've been meaning to spend more time looking into it, but I haven't had much of a chance over the past couple weeks.

I'm gonna try to spend some more time on it over the weekend, if I manage to get everything else around here done...
    Unfortunately, unless you're talking about a few thousand dollars or something, money isn't really an issue here, it's just time. I did finally get my dev setup moved to a more appropriate machine, but I've been busy with other things since then.

I will try to spend a bit of time this week to see if I can at least figure out how to affect the backlight/display settings that I mentioned in a previous post. I have a feeling that the issue is going to live somewhere in that area, but I need to investigate how all that gets configured.
    Nvm, I got the recovery.img successfully, and converted it to .tar format. However, when I flash it and boot into TWRP, it shows a blue screen with a little bit of the menu showing up. What do I do to fix this?
    You figure out what the problem is lol :p This is the same issue that everyone else who's built TWRP for this tablet has had. I've been meaning to spend more time looking into it, but I haven't had much of a chance over the past couple weeks.

I'm gonna try to spend some more time on it over the weekend, if I manage to get everything else around here done...
    Unfortunately, unless you're talking about a few thousand dollars or something, money isn't really an issue here, it's just time. I did finally get my dev setup moved to a more appropriate machine, but I've been busy with other things since then.

I will try to spend a bit of time this week to see if I can at least figure out how to affect the backlight/display settings that I mentioned in a previous post. I have a feeling that the issue is going to live somewhere in that area, but I need to investigate how all that gets configured.
    OK. Thank you for linking that. I'll try my best. Wish me luck! :)
    So, I tried it on my laptop, and it failed. HOWEVER, I have a desktop computer with an AMD RX-590 GPU, an AMD Ryzen 5700 Series CPU, a 512 GB SSD, and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM. With it, I should be able to replicate the steps that I just did. I won't be able to use my PC, however, until Monday, August 16th. I'll let you know how it goes then. Have a nice week, and I'll see you in around 6 days. 😁