TWRP for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G (T976B)

Search This thread

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
A new minor release for users who have updated their device to Android 11.

Changelog

2021-01-25 3.5.0_A11-1

• Report the device as running Android 11.
  • TWRP will now include files named Magisk.apk, app-release.apk or app-debug.apk in the list of flashable .zip files. This is to accommodate the new packaging of Magisk as a payload within the manager app.

Reactions: hurray

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
Samsung have released Android 11 kernel source for the Tab S7+ 5G, so here is the first TWRP release featuring an actual Android 11 kernel.

Changelog

2021-01-28 3.5.0_A11-3

• First release with Android 11 kernel, built for BUA8 firmware.
  • Any file beginning with Magisk- is now considered flashable.

Reactions: hurray

Gilbot

Jul 29, 2010
Milpitas
Does TWRP 3.5 support flashing ROMs/GSIs yet? System.img is within the dynamic partition, super.img, and since I don't use Linux I've been waiting for TWRP to support this as manually unpacking super and repacking super is a bit beyond my comfort level.

LSS4181

Mar 13, 2012
Google Pixel C
Razer Phone 2
Does TWRP 3.5 support flashing ROMs/GSIs yet? System.img is within the dynamic partition, super.img, and since I don't use Linux I've been waiting for TWRP to support this as manually unpacking super and repacking super is a bit beyond my comfort level.

I tried this guide. Although it can indeed flash the GSI (as confirmed by looking at the /system_root contents), I currently can't make it boot. It keeps rebooting in the Samsung (Knox) logo that warns me about using custom ROM...

I'm currently on the stock kernel with Magisk installed into it. Magisk works in stock ROM without major issues after flashing neutralized vbmeta and Multi-Disabler.

I don't know if I need to use an unmodified kernel image for GSI, but given Knox is quite complicated I'm worried about getting myself into a mess that I can't get out of by merely restoring a backup...

So for now... GSI is yet to be bootable on this device.

mistermojorizin

• Dec 21, 2011
    Google Pixel 5
    I simply check everything in case of emergency, though in most cases I only need to restore Super/data/boot like you said. Those other partitions aren't too much in size compared to the overall storage space the tablet provides.
    I'm going to check everything except optics and prism (but selected optics image and prism image). if it works like /system used to, then it would be redundant to check both system and system image.

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    HTC U11
    Moto G Power
    I'm going to check everything except optics and prism (but selected optics image and prism image). if it works like /system used to, then it would be redundant to check both system and system image.
    I check everything except data and save it for a rainy day. When I make future backups it's just data... No need to worry about all that other stuff when I have a backup of the whole shibang.

So, to get things perfectly straight, after unlocking the bootloader, you:

-Flash TWRP and the vbmeta at the same time (Or does one have to come before the other?)
    -Flash the multi-disabler in TWRP and reformat
    -Then flash Magisk and install the manager

Hopefully I have this correct, I want to try it out on my S7+ in the next few days

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      twrp.png

Introduction

Welcome to TWRP for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G (T976B). This same image will also work for the wi-fi-only T970.

Installation

Only proceed if you are comfortable with low-level device management and are capable of recovering an unbootable device, should an unforeseen mishap occur.

Unlock your device's bootloader and then install the recovery image below. If you use Odin to flash it, remember to rename the image recovery.img and tar it before flashing. You will also need to flash a neutralised vbmeta.img image if you have not already disarmed verified boot.

Post-installation

The Tab S7+ 5G utilises proprietary file-based encryption (FBE) in its factory state for the user data partition. TWRP cannot decrypt this, however, so it must be removed. Otherwise, you will not be able to perform back-ups and restores.

To remove encryption from your device, please use TWRP to flash the Samsung multi-disabler and then format /data again. You must use at least v2.5 of the multi-disabler.

These builds are stable and known to perform well on many users' devices.

Latest releases

Android 11 (BUA8 firmware)

twrp-gts7xl-3.5.0_10-A11_3_ianmacd.img

Android 10 (ATJ4 firmware)

twrp-gts7xl-3.5.0_10-2_ianmacd.img

Source

Support

For support or just to talk about the device amongst friends, please join our Telegram group dedicated to TWRP/root on Samsung devices.

XDA:DevDB Information
      TWRP for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tool/Utility for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus

Contributors
      ianmacd

Version Information
      Production
      Current Production Version: 3.5.0-1_ianmacd
      Production Release Date: 2020-12-29

Created 2020-09-16
      Last Updated 2021-01-28
      Version 3.5.0-1_ianmacd has been released.

Changelog

2020-12-29 3.5.0-1

• Update to TWRP 3.5.0.
      Really frustrated that there's no twrp for the T870.
      It gives me great pleasure to finally be able to issue a production release of TWRP 3.4.0 for the Tab S7+ 5G.

Over the course of 27 alpha versions and 2 beta releases, the kinks have been worked out and this initial production release now features a fully functional implementation of MTP.

It's also no longer necessary to disable MTP in order to use adb.

Changelog

2020-12-20 3.4.0-1

• First production release.
      • Working MTP implementation.
      Changelog

2021-01-28 3.5.0_A11-3

• First release with Android 11 kernel, built for BUA8 firmware.
      • Any file beginning with Magisk- is now considered flashable.

2021-01-25 3.5.0_A11-2

• Fix device rebooting only to recovery.
      • Fix spurious attempt to perform digest authentication when flashing .apk file.

2021-01-25 3.5.0_A11-1

• Report the device as running Android 11.
      • TWRP will now include files named Magisk.apk, app-release.apk or app-debug.apk in the list of flashable .zip files. This is to accommodate the new packaging of Magisk as a payload within the manager app.

2021-01-19 3.5.0-2

• Merge post-3.5.0 release bug fixes.

2020-12-29 3.5.0-1

• Update to TWRP 3.5.0.

2020-12-23 3.4.0-3

• Fixed bug that causes unmounting of System when Advanced menu is entered.

2020-12-20 3.4.0-1

• First production release.
      • Working MTP implementation.

2020-11-06 3.4.0-1a21

• Fixed image back-up of Optics partition.
      • logcat is now enabled in recovery.
      • With kernel built for ATJ4 firmware.

2020-10-07 3.4.0-1a16

• With kernel built for ATI3 firmware.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone