[TWRP][Lenovo TAB 3 8 Plus][TB-8703 F/X/R/N][Lenovo P8][Lastest Version SEP/2018]

Search This thread

ziggy815

Jan 18, 2017
Cologne
Hello everyone,

because we have at least 3 old Threads with TWRP for the Lenovo Tab 3 8 Plus, i thought lets make it four :)

Just kidding, i am trying to illustrate how to flash the lastest TWRP Version with boot signing by @highwaystar_ru
You should use this recovery because its working for all known Custom Roms without any trouble.

The problem with our Tablet is that we cant unlock the bootloader.But @highwaystar_ru developed this
fantastic version of TWRP that just signs the boot.img with the right signature so our Tablet does not notice
that we are using a Custom Rom.

On the end of this post you find a download link to an archive including anything you need.

If you already have an old chinese Version of TWRP on the Tab you can go straight to part 2 of this instruction
to see how to update TWRP from within an installed TWRP.

So... enough of the technical stuff lets start.

Part One, flashing the Recovery to a Device with factory Recovery:

Download an unpack the TWRP.zip to a Directory of your choice.

Now you should have an Directory that looks like this :
View attachment 4595300

Now go to the drivers directory and install the two files. No need to change any option just click thru it.

1. 1 - Lenovo_USB_Driver_1.1.41_Setup.exe
2. 2 - Qualcomm_USB_Host_Driver_1.00.40.5_Setup.exe

If those installed without problems you can now go to the Tools Directory and install QPST.2.7.460.exe
Same as above dont change anything just click thru it. Could be that it wants to install some C++ Runtime and stuff, let it do so.

Now you should have a new program group (under all programs) called QPST from here you click on QFILas shown in the picture.
View attachment 4595301

Lets fire it up and see what happens:
View attachment 4595302

First you need to click on "Flat build"(1)
Now you can click on "Browse"(2)

Here you browse to the TWRP Directory and choose "prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn"
View attachment 4595303

Now you click on "Load XML"(3)
Choose "rawprogram0"
View attachment 4595304

Another Filerequest will open itself, choose "patch0"
View attachment 4595305

If you did everything right, your QFIL should look like this:
View attachment 4595306

You still see the "No Port Available" that means the tablet is not connected or not recognized.
Lets change that... :)

Turn off you tablet. Hold down the Volume+ key while connecting the usb cable. Windows should
now install another driver, if it asks you to trust the driver, do so.
If you did anything right and Windows did install the driver correctly the "No Port Available" should
change to something like "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3)" as shown in the picture.
View attachment 4595307

Now simply click "Download" and the flashing should begin.

You should now see some messages scrolling thru the Status Window at the bottom of the Mainwindow.
When it says "Download Succeed", "Finish Download" as shown in the pic you should be done.
View attachment 4595308

Quit the QFIL programm, disconnect the tablet, hold Volume+ Key and Power Key pressed until you feel
the tablet vibrate and the Lenovo Logo appears (about 5-10 sec.) a moment later you should be in the
TWRP Recovery.

Congrats you're done and can Backup/Wipe/Flash or do whatever you want to do with it :)

Part two, only needed if you already have an older Version of TWRP already running

Copy the new TWRP-Image from the TWRP directory of the Archive to your SD-Card
Simply boot into TWRP
Click on install, as you would for flashing a custom rom.
Now click on "Install Image" and you should see the twrp image.
View attachment 4595309View attachment 4595310
Select the file and a new screen should open, here selct "Recovery" and swipe to flash.
View attachment 4595311

Reboot into Recovery and you should see the new one.

Congrats you're done and can Backup/Wipe/Flash or do whatever you want to do with it :)

Addendum :
Whenever you flash a new Firmware or anything that changes your boot.img(like Magisk, SuperSU ...)
you have to use the "Sign boot" option that you see after flashing or that you can find under Advanced.
If you dont, you will get stuck after the Lenovo Logo, but no need to worry, just reboot into twrp and
sign the boot.

I hope this thread helps anyone who does not know what twrp to use or how to install it.

Thanks to @highwaystar_ru for his great work on the TWRP and the Device/Vendor/Kerneltree for this
wonderfull tablet!

TWRP Download : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904004643

Greetings
Zig.

Last edited by a moderator:

totonas

Aug 16, 2019
There is a solution against sahara error

If you can't install TWRP with QFIL ...
You get the sahara error :
ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:237 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.
Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail

After trying all the solutions found on the internet, including an install of linux in the pc ( a lot of time !) and using "qdl" for linux with no result ...

I tried installing a stock ROM with QFIL . No errors at all ! So ...
So I just renamed the "twrp....img" as "recovery.img" in the folder of the stock rom , replacing the original one (rename it whatever you want , example : "old_recovery.img".
Flash the modified stock rom with QFIL ... et voila ! it worked without any errors .
I disconnected the tablet. Press "vol+" and power buttons for about 15 sec. and the tablet booted in twrp recovery.
Wipe everything under twrp.
Install a lineageOS rom and it's OK
Hope I help.

Witsche

Mar 4, 2014
Hi to all,
is this guide still usable? what is the latest version of TWRP for our device?

Thanks

torres1948

Oct 8, 2018
Unlocking Bootloader Ended with Error?

I have a tablet Lenovo Tab 3 8 Plus (TB-8703X). Wanna install TWRP3.2.1., but I can not unlock bootloader on my device.

What I have done:

Settings | Developer options:
the switch in String OEM unlocking is turned On
This Allow the bootloader to be unlocked

Switching On shows a popup window with the warning:

Allow OEM unlocking?

WARNING: Device protection features will not work on this device while this setting is turned on.

Cancel Enable

I pressed Enable. The next commands did the results:

fastboot oem device-info:

(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
(bootloader) Display panel:
(bootloader) Device Verity Mode: enforcing

fastboot flashing unlock:
FAILED (remote: 'Need wipe userdata. Do 'fastboot oem unlock-go'')
fastboot: error: Command failed

fastboot oem unlock-go:
OKAY [ 0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 0.016s

erased as claimed and installs all factory software.

Test after finishing:
fastboot oem device-info:

(bootloader) Device tampered: false
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
(bootloader) Display panel:
(bootloader) Device Verity Mode: enforcing
Conclusion:

command fastboot flashing unlock produce an error and after that the command:
fastboot oem unlock-go erases the memory,... and installs the factory software,
bootloader is locked - TWRP installation forbidden!

Remarks:

Instead of command fastboot flashing unlock-go one may do command fastboot flashing unlock_critical, it shows no error and automatically installs the factory software and reboot the device. After that bootloader remains locked despite the claim it must permanently be unlocked after any rebooting!

Command fastboot flashing unlock_critical may be used for handmade installation recovery!
But the next command
fastboot erase userdata.
can not erase the partition userdata cause the device is locked.

At the same time erasing has been done during the command fastboot oem unlock-go or command fastboot flashing unlock_critical! This means the unlock was done during the command!
But device remains locked!
Hence, this means the command or script does unlocking before erasing and after that again locks bootloader!

The question: How one may unlock this device? Or it is the failure of the vendor?

Variations:
1. Is there any possibility to install TWRP bootsigned version by tool named QFIL? Unlocking is crucial!?
2. May one use CWM menuitem Apply Update from sdcard to install TWRP.zip?
3. I read somewhere last TWRP versions don't spoil the partitions boot, system? Or locked device does not allow to install it?

Yours,
Radmir.

torres1948

Oct 8, 2018
One experiment more:
I tried to install TWRP on my table using QFIL. The bootloader is locked.
The string in the end of the log tells:
2022-04-04 23:13:13.437 Download Fail:FireHose Fail:FHLoader Fail:The system cannot find the file specified

So file was downloladed, but did not exist. Does this mean flashing TWRP on locked device impossible?
Radmir

Berseker86

Oct 30, 2010
Near Lecco
first of all, I wish you all an Happy New Year!
I am trying to restore to good functionality the tablet of my dad, does anyone have the "screenshots" of the above mentioned walktrough to install this modified TWRP & a nice new rom? thank you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is a solution against sahara error

If you can't install TWRP with QFIL ...
    You get the sahara error :
    ERROR: function: sahara_rx_data:237 Unable to read packet header. Only read 0 bytes.
    Download Fail:Sahara Fail:QSaharaServer Fail:process fail

After trying all the solutions found on the internet, including an install of linux in the pc ( a lot of time !) and using "qdl" for linux with no result ...

I tried installing a stock ROM with QFIL . No errors at all ! So ...
    So I just renamed the "twrp....img" as "recovery.img" in the folder of the stock rom , replacing the original one (rename it whatever you want , example : "old_recovery.img".
    Flash the modified stock rom with QFIL ... et voila ! it worked without any errors .
    I disconnected the tablet. Press "vol+" and power buttons for about 15 sec. and the tablet booted in twrp recovery.
    Wipe everything under twrp.
    Install a lineageOS rom and it's OK
    Hope I help.
    Hello everyone,

because we have at least 3 old Threads with TWRP for the Lenovo Tab 3 8 Plus, i thought lets make it four :)

Just kidding, i am trying to illustrate how to flash the lastest TWRP Version with boot signing by @highwaystar_ru
    You should use this recovery because its working for all known Custom Roms without any trouble.

The problem with our Tablet is that we cant unlock the bootloader.But @highwaystar_ru developed this
    fantastic version of TWRP that just signs the boot.img with the right signature so our Tablet does not notice
    that we are using a Custom Rom.

On the end of this post you find a download link to an archive including anything you need.

If you already have an old chinese Version of TWRP on the Tab you can go straight to part 2 of this instruction
    to see how to update TWRP from within an installed TWRP.

So... enough of the technical stuff lets start.

Part One, flashing the Recovery to a Device with factory Recovery:

Download an unpack the TWRP.zip to a Directory of your choice.

Now you should have an Directory that looks like this :
    View attachment 4595300

Now go to the drivers directory and install the two files. No need to change any option just click thru it.

1. 1 - Lenovo_USB_Driver_1.1.41_Setup.exe
    2. 2 - Qualcomm_USB_Host_Driver_1.00.40.5_Setup.exe

If those installed without problems you can now go to the Tools Directory and install QPST.2.7.460.exe
    Same as above dont change anything just click thru it. Could be that it wants to install some C++ Runtime and stuff, let it do so.

Now you should have a new program group (under all programs) called QPST from here you click on QFILas shown in the picture.
    View attachment 4595301

Lets fire it up and see what happens:
    View attachment 4595302

First you need to click on "Flat build"(1)
    Now you can click on "Browse"(2)

Here you browse to the TWRP Directory and choose "prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn"
    View attachment 4595303

Now you click on "Load XML"(3)
    Choose "rawprogram0"
    View attachment 4595304

Another Filerequest will open itself, choose "patch0"
    View attachment 4595305

If you did everything right, your QFIL should look like this:
    View attachment 4595306

You still see the "No Port Available" that means the tablet is not connected or not recognized.
    Lets change that... :)

Turn off you tablet. Hold down the Volume+ key while connecting the usb cable. Windows should
    now install another driver, if it asks you to trust the driver, do so.
    If you did anything right and Windows did install the driver correctly the "No Port Available" should
    change to something like "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM3)" as shown in the picture.
    View attachment 4595307

Now simply click "Download" and the flashing should begin.

You should now see some messages scrolling thru the Status Window at the bottom of the Mainwindow.
    When it says "Download Succeed", "Finish Download" as shown in the pic you should be done.
    View attachment 4595308

Quit the QFIL programm, disconnect the tablet, hold Volume+ Key and Power Key pressed until you feel
    the tablet vibrate and the Lenovo Logo appears (about 5-10 sec.) a moment later you should be in the
    TWRP Recovery.

Part two, only needed if you already have an older Version of TWRP already running

Copy the new TWRP-Image from the TWRP directory of the Archive to your SD-Card
    Simply boot into TWRP
    Click on install, as you would for flashing a custom rom.
    Now click on "Install Image" and you should see the twrp image.
    View attachment 4595309View attachment 4595310
    Select the file and a new screen should open, here selct "Recovery" and swipe to flash.
    View attachment 4595311

Reboot into Recovery and you should see the new one.

Addendum :
    Whenever you flash a new Firmware or anything that changes your boot.img(like Magisk, SuperSU ...)
    you have to use the "Sign boot" option that you see after flashing or that you can find under Advanced.
    If you dont, you will get stuck after the Lenovo Logo, but no need to worry, just reboot into twrp and
    sign the boot.

I hope this thread helps anyone who does not know what twrp to use or how to install it.

Thanks to @highwaystar_ru for his great work on the TWRP and the Device/Vendor/Kerneltree for this
    wonderfull tablet!

TWRP Download : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=1322778262904004643

Greetings
    Zig.
    Attachment links do not work. I found the tutorial very confusing. How do I perform root on this tablet?