[TWRP]LG V40 / Judypn

Search This thread

iannisb

Oct 13, 2017
okay so the command, I think I made clear in the notes, is all on one line. It's not separated out.

additionally, you can't use the 'nuked laf' version of fastboot (that's a crippled version), you have to use the v35_engineering_abl version to flash that.

without seeing exactly what yer doing, that's all I can think of to help.

cheers

I followed the instructions to the letter and i approached with the easier way to give it a try

C:\Download>fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img
fastboot: unrecognised option `--disable-verity'

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
I followed the instructions to the letter and i approached with the easier way to give it a try

C:\Download>fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

see, I'll have to check my notes in that folder, but that's wrong.

it's fastboot --disable (etc) and THEn it's flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

you have the 'flash' part in the wrong position.

Oooops sorry, my bad. I created that a long time ago and got the command wrong, you were doing what it says, but it's corrected now to reflect what I pointed out above.

my goof, Cheers

Last edited:

iannisb

Oct 13, 2017
okay so the command, I think I made clear in the notes, is all on one line. It's not separated out.

additionally, you can't use the 'nuked laf' version of fastboot (that's a crippled version), you have to use the v35_engineering_abl version to flash that.

without seeing exactly what yer doing, that's all I can think of to help.

cheers

so its three commands?

fastboot flash disable-verity
fastboot flash disable-verification
flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10

so its three commands?

fastboot flash disable-verity
fastboot flash disable-verification
flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

No! absolutely not, that's a mistake. I was doing that at first and it's not doing what it should do.

It's one command, all on one line. See post above, I corrected the info. Sorry.

iannisb

Oct 13, 2017
No! absolutely not, that's a mistake. I was doing that at first and it's not doing what it should do.

It's one command, all on one line. See post above, I corrected the info. Sorry.

Again i get the same error :
C:\Download>fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

IS there a special fastboot that i should install in my windows 10 laptop?
Thank you for your time

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Again i get the same error :
C:\Download>fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a blank_vbmeta.img

IS there a special fastboot that i should install in my windows 10 laptop?
Thank you for your time

not a special one on the pc, but it does need to be the v35 eng abl on the phone. The fastboot we get by nuking the laf image isn't as powerful as the v35 eng abl one is.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
i need the latest Q boot img for ATT im stuck on Lg V40 screen please

What is the 'latest for ATT'? They don't make their kdz available, the only people that will have the 'latest' are the ones that receive it OTA?

I've no idea (as I don't use ATT) what that version is? Maybe if u had a version number someone could help, but without that it's just a guess, unless you find someone that is unrooted and locked and getting updates from ATT...

osaka35

Oct 12, 2016
Hi, looked through all the pages here and a few threads, but couldn't find a 30E boot image with TWRP. From what I've read, I'll need that particular one to get TWRP and then MAGISK (or should I update to the latest version, whatever that is, then find boot with TWRP?).

Actually, how relevant is this guide given I'm on Android 10? Should I follow these steps with modifications, or is there someone willing to help get me from point A to point B?

to note: I'm successfully back on ATT unlocked android 10 (obviously), after successfully unlocking the bootloader using V35engineering and getting it back to stock.

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
maybe try with --disable-verify
:)
**maybe** just type fastboot -h and look at the output to verify the correct commands, instead of **guessing** what they might be?

options:
-w Wipe userdata.
-s SERIAL Specify a USB device.
-s tcp|udp:HOST[:pORT] Specify a network device.
-S SIZE[K|M|G] Break into sparse files no larger than SIZE.
--force Force a flash operation that may be unsafe.
--slot SLOT Use SLOT; 'all' for both slots, 'other' for
non-current slot (default: current active slot).
--set-active[=SLOT] Sets the active slot before rebooting.
--skip-secondary Don't flash secondary slots in flashall/update.
--skip-reboot Don't reboot device after flashing.
--disable-verity Sets disable-verity when flashing vbmeta.
--disable-verification Sets disable-verification when flashing vbmeta.
--wipe-and-use-fbe Enable file-based encryption, wiping userdata.
--unbuffered Don't buffer input or output.
--verbose, -v Verbose output.
--version Display version.
--help, -h Show this message.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hi, looked through all the pages here and a few threads, but couldn't find a 30E boot image with TWRP. From what I've read, I'll need that particular one to get TWRP and then MAGISK (or should I update to the latest version, whatever that is, then find boot with TWRP?).

Actually, how relevant is this guide given I'm on Android 10? Should I follow these steps with modifications, or is there someone willing to help get me from point A to point B?

to note: I'm successfully back on ATT unlocked android 10 (obviously), after successfully unlocking the bootloader using V35engineering and getting it back to stock.

Don't think you'll find one until someone copies their att 30e boot partition and posts it so they can patch it with twrp.

Their kdz isn't available, so no one can extract it from that. Use qfil and save your 30e boot_a and I'll patch it with twrp for u and post back here.

But that's the only way it will happen, is if someone posts it, but be sure to specify exactly what it is, like this: att_30e_boot_a.img, it avoids confusion with say korean oepn 30e, or ebw 30e... etc etc

cheers

nikothebarber

Jan 6, 2019
LG V40

Dude I need 30E boot img PLEASE i cant boot with out it

osaka35

Oct 12, 2016
Don't think you'll find one until someone copies their att 30e boot partition and posts it so they can patch it with twrp.

Their kdz isn't available, so no one can extract it from that. Use qfil and save your 30e boot_a and I'll patch it with twrp for u and post back here.

But that's the only way it will happen, is if someone posts it, but be sure to specify exactly what it is, like this: att_30e_boot_a.img, it avoids confusion with say korean oepn 30e, or ebw 30e... etc etc

cheers
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Attached are the stock boot_a+b.bin gotten from QFIL.
ATT - Android 10 - V405UA30E
For those curious, this is the latest update for US ATT V40 as of march 13, 2021

My goal is to flash Magisk after flashing TWRP and run on the modified stock. Which guide should I follow, and with any modifications, considering I'm on android 10?

Much thanks, you've saved me. Let me know if I can ever help you out with anything

Attachments

• boot_a.bin
    64 MB · Views: 30
  • boot_b.bin
    64 MB · Views: 31

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Attached are the stock boot_a+b.bin gotten from QFIL.
ATT - Android 10 - V405UA30E
For those curious, this is the latest update for US ATT V40 as of march 13, 2021

My goal is to flash Magisk after flashing TWRP and run on the modified stock. Which guide should I follow, and with any modifications, considering I'm on android 10?

Much thanks, you've saved me. Let me know if I can ever help you out with anything
Okay here are your 2 images. Just as an fyi, these 2 images were not identical, I think it's safe to assume whichever one is the inactive slot (b or a) is the older att version, and the active slot will be the 30e.

cheers

also, in case yer not sure, use 'fastboot getvar all' and at the end of the output it will tell you which slot is active.

Additionally, these images should be flashed using qfil, then upon exiting edl, use the key combo to go directly to recovery (now twrp). First, format data (not wipe), then, reboot recovery. Then flash magisk and dm_verity, and u should be all set.

So, just to make sure it's clear, even though I labeled these both as 30e, one of them is not. One of them is the older att version. We can't know which is which until we know which slot is active, that will be the 30e.

Attachments

• boot-twrp-att30e_b.img
    64 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

osaka35

Oct 12, 2016
Okay here are your 2 images. Just as an fyi, these 2 images were not identical, I think it's safe to assume whichever one is the inactive slot (b or a) is the older att version, and the active slot will be the 30e.

cheers

also, in case yer not sure, use 'fastboot getvar all' and at the end of the output it will tell you which slot is active.

Additionally, these images should be flashed using qfil, then upon exiting edl, use the key combo to go directly to recovery (now twrp). First, format data (not wipe), then, reboot recovery. Then flash magisk and dm_verity, and u should be all set.
Thank you! You're my hero.

For anyone else who's curious. "slot B" was my active slot.

I couldn't get me into recovery using the key combination, but a normal reboot and a simple "ADB reboot recovery" got me in.

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
Thank you! You're my hero.

For anyone else who's curious. "slot B" was my active slot.

I couldn't get me into recovery using the key combination, but a normal reboot and a simple "ADB reboot recovery" got me in.
Yer welcome no probs.

I went ahead and deleted the boot_a one as that's not for 30e. Don't need any confusion. In case others don't know, the b and a are interchangeable. so the one above labeled b could be used on a or b. The important thing is that it's the right one for att 30e.

cheers

Reactions: osaka35

iannisb

Oct 13, 2017
HEll
give me a bit, I'll get to it. But first, you realize you'll have to use qfil to load this? Can't be done with fastboot. I mention that because you went to all the trouble to decompose a kdz to dz to images to get the boot_a. but wiht qfil you could have just read the partition data and saved it?

I'll do it nonetheless, but it has to be flashed with qfil, then follow the additional instructions.

here's a gdrive link to your ebw 30d with twrp ramdisk injected. Remember, use qfil to first back up existing boot_a (u already that that though), then flash this file. Once flashed, back out of qfil and hold vol minus and power button to exit edl mode on the device. Keep holding until lg logo, then quickly release only pwr and then reapply it. That brings to twrp. Sel cancel if it asks for pw, swipe to allow mods, format data, then reboot recovery. Once back in twrp flash magisk and dm-verity.

should be all set then. Cheers

Hello there how are you ?
Today i came accross this problem.
i was listening to music (had installed viper4android through Magisk.)
I went for a run and used a running app to measure distance. The app froze and reboot the phone.
After the rebootthe phone stuck at LG V40 screen so i went into twrp and chose fix recovery bootloop.
The phone booted normally but i lost root , magisk didnt work..
Whenever i flashed magisk again , the phone gets stuck at LG V40 so i have to run ''fix recovery bootloop'' to boot into android..but then i lose root magisk...again!

Last edited:

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Samsung Galaxy S10
HEll

Hello there how are you ?
Today i came accross this problem.
i was listening to music (had installed viper4android through Magisk.)
I went for a run and used a running app to measure distance. The app froze and reboot the phone.
After the rebootthe phone stuck at LG V40 screen so i went into twrp and chose fix recovery bootloop.
The phone booted normally but i lost root , magisk didnt work..
Whenever i flashed magisk again , the phone gets stuck at LG V40 so i have to run ''fix recovery bootloop'' to boot into android..but then i lose root magisk...again!

sorry haven't much of an idea on that, don't use viper4android nor any app to measure distances.

Can you get back to where u were before installing these apps? Always a good idea to do a twrp backup prior to installing, just in case. If u can get back, or start over, do backup and then just one app at a time, to determine which one is problem, assuming it is one of those.

cheers

iannisb

Oct 13, 2017
sorry haven't much of an idea on that, don't use viper4android nor any app to measure distances.

Can you get back to where u were before installing these apps? Always a good idea to do a twrp backup prior to installing, just in case. If u can get back, or start over, do backup and then just one app at a time, to determine which one is problem, assuming it is one of those.

cheers
Yes i reinstall android the phone works but i dont have root..
i use viper4android for better musik and runtastik app for running.
i believe it has something to do with magisk and viper4android.
I tried to re do everything.
Flash TWRP in slot A and then android but everytime i flasj Magisk the phone bootloops the LGV40 screen and the only way for the phone to work is to fix bootloop recovery through TWRP.
I dont understand how is it possible that the root was lost in the first place???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include "std_disclaimer.h"
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this Recovery
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Requirements
    1. Unlocked bootloader
    2. working ADB/fastboot on a PC
    3. the TWRP image downloaded
    4. Pie firmware on the active slot

Installation guide (pre metadata encryption):
    1. Copy the twrp image to your phones storage and/or micro sdcard
    2. Start cmd/powershell/terminal with working adb/fastboot
    3. Reboot to bootloader
      1. adb reboot bootloader OR
      2. turn off the phone (or reboot), as soon as it turns on, hold volume down while USB cable is connected
        • If youre unofficially bootloader unlocked, and you nuked laf, its volume up and USB for you
    4. fastboot boot TWRP-judypn-boot.img
    5. Confirm allow system modifications if asked
    6. Press cancel if asked for a password (aka when youre encrypted, could also be that it doesnt show you /data at all and no password screen)
    7. Go to Advanced -> Install Recovery Ramdisk
    8. Select the TWRP image which you copied to your phone/sdcard earlier
    9. TWRP will now be installed to both slots (boot_a and boot_b)
    10. Go to Reboot -> Recovery to make sure TWRP is successfully installed

Features:
    1. Install recovery ramdisk:
      Selecting this, and then an image (e.g. of TWRP) allows you to install the ramdisk (where TWRP resides for example) into both currently installed kernels/boot images
    2. Inject TWRP after install:
      Automatically injects current installed TWRP into the boot image of the ROM/zip youre installing when ticked

Broken:
    1. LGs encryption on Stock
    2. encryption on other ROMs(?)

How to flash ROMs (PRE metadata encryption):
    1. Reboot to TWRP
    2. Make a backup
    3. Install -> select the ROM zip -> tick Inject TWRP -> Swipe for install
    4. wait... ROM will be installed into the NON ACTIVE slot (if youre on a, it will be installed to b, and vice versa)
    5. Reboot system
    for gapps, magisk or other mods:
    1. DO NOT REBOOT TO SYSTEM from last step
    2. Go back -> Reboot -> select the non active slot (to where the rom got installed to) -> select recovery
    3. Install gapps, magisk, and whatever else you want
    4. Reboot system

How to initially flash ROMs (metadata encryption):
    1. Reboot to existing TWRP
    2. Make a backup of everything you want to keep
    3. Copy backup to PC (or another external medium)
    4. Flash the ROM
    5. Do NOT inject TWRP (this will break recovery otherwise)
    6. Go to reboot -> Select opposite slot
    7. Reboot to recovery
    8. Perform factory reset (this is to setup encryption)
      1. Apply update (from ADB) with adb sideload for gapps/magisk
        • reboot to bootloader
        • fastboot boot judypn_TWRP_bootable-metadata.img
        • Use as usual
    9. Reboot system

How to update ROMs (metadata encryption):
    • Reboot to bootloader
    • Install -> Select ROM zip
    • do NOT inject TWRP
    • Reboot -> select opposite slot (it will tell you even which it installed the ROM to)
    • Reboot bootloader
    • Install gapps/magisk
    Or
    • reboot recovery
    • apply update -> from adb (in e.g. Lineage recovery)
    • On PC: adb sideload <new version zip>
    • (Advanced -> ) Reboot recovery
    • adb sideload gapps/magisk
    • reboot system

Warnings:
    1. Updating a ROM means reflashing the mods you flashed too (e.g. Gapps), addon.d doesnt work properly
    2. Be aware of the slot you are currently on
    3. If youre flashing a ROM to a slot, make sure you also have the required firmware (abl, modem, and so on) in that slot

Infos:
    1. System image/Vendor image and system/vendor are redundant, the image variants are direct copies of the partition (and also their size) while the others are "simply" files copied and repacked
    2. How to use decrypted stock by @Xsavi : https://xdaforums.com/lg-v40/how-to/guide-twrp-data-access-stock-t3970149
    3. Metadata encryption TWRP requires 10 firmware to use properly, no guarantee for it to work on Pie firmware!

Download:
    Metadata bootable: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hdzeH3AIQVf3siQNsI27IS_vmghPESEG/view?usp=sharing + Install zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CQUfg54zD838detcIJqdRiKXdVNtd6Iy/view?usp=sharing
    Bootable: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UnIFbJlXHl6x4azq6H6yS-PRfk-omdTP
    Old: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p3IrbeOxM4ay01JccyifWDuxqqrE0_Dl

Sources:
    device tree: https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_device_lge_judypn-twrp/tree/android-9.0
    kernel: https://github.com/SGCMarkus/android_kernel_lge_sdm845/tree/lge-pie-v409-20a

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Judypn, ROM for the LG V40

Contributors
    SGCMarkus
    ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie

Version Information

Created 2019-09-20
    Last Updated 2019-09-20
    A little update here :)

Its not as complete as i wanted it to be (encryption still doesnt work... :/ ), but this TWRP should be "good to go" nonetheless.
    It now has the ability to be booted, no need to flash anymore (aka you can then proceed to patch your existing boot slots with TWRP), and it properly formats /data now, without stock complaining about "not properly encrypted" when youre doing the decrypt process.
    OP will be updated soon.
    Hi,
    My phone wouldn't boot after flashing twrp.img. Yesterday it would get stuck at lg boot logo. Today however it goes straight to fastboot mode when i turn it on.
    When i boot to recovery I will first have to go through the old recovery before I get to the new twrp.

I did try to follow the instruction, but a/b partitioning might have messed it up for me.
    Before I flashed twrp I checked the current slot which was A. Then I flashed the recovery file to slot A. It was pretty unclear if I was supposed to flash it on the current active slot or the inactive one. Instructions says: "4. fastboot flash boot_a TWRP.img (or boot_b, depends on the slot youre on)".
    I'm not able to backup in twrp (in case I mess it up some more) because it says fail to decrypt data.

How should I proceed? Im still active on slot A, havent tried B. My end goal is to get lineageos 17 on it.

-Karl

keymaster probably crashing because of security patch missmatch (boot.img and system need to have the same security patch)

Currently working on a new TWRP, where you wont have any of these issues...

For now:
    Flash twrp
    directly boot to it with button combo
    in twrp: flash back stock boot image from your system version (e.g. from a kdz extracted), dont reboot yet
    go to advanced -> install recovery ramdisk -> select twrp.img on your phones memory (internal, or ext. sdcard)
    Trying to upload the one I used here. Hopefully it will work for you.
    Well, having a big issue. I installed TWRP, Install custom rom w/ twrp inject, reboot menu, selected the slot where the rom, restarted, no TWRP, No root, but custom rom and now it comes up as unknown in LG UP so I can try to fix it. I think its mostly a brick since I can't do anything. No Fastboot either because im in slot b and cant switch because no root or fastboot.

did you have pie firmware also in the slot where you installed LOS to?
    otherwise.... nothing is ever really a brick, you still have 9008 mode as last option