• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TWRP + MAGISK] Root your Motorola One Action

Search This thread

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018
Autonomous City of Good Airs
TWRP + MAGISK for our Motorola One Action​

First of all, let me thank to @ilia3367 for his big effort bringing the joy of mod to our phones (One Vision and Action) and my fellow countryman @sfoot13 for his unvaluable help.
Original guide

Disclaimer

* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
* Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
* Backup all your personal information, it'll be wiped.
* This process was performed on the XT2013-1 using PSBS29.-21-20-4 compilation.

Instructions
1- Unlock your Motorola One Action using Motorola's Official Guide.
2- Download this file to your PC.
2.1- Get the latest compilation of your firmware, according to your region, here.
2.2- Unzip the file downloaded on step 2 on c:\adb (you should already have installed ADB, Fastboot and Drivers at this point) and unzip the firmware in a place of your convenience.
3- Copy the files KANE_flash_stock.bat and vbmeta.img (remember, both files are from the file you've downloaded on the step 2) of c:\adb to the firmware folder you unzipped on step 2.2.
3.1- Some firmwares have one more system.img_sparsechunk than others, in case the firmware you've download has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
Code:
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.10
4- Copy this files (located at c:\adb) to your External SD (mandatory):
  • Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
  • MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk
  • Magisk-v19.4.zip
  • TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip

This is where the fun begins.

5- Reboot your phone to bootloader mode.
6- Once detected, execute the KANE_flash_stock.bat you've edited and copied to the firmware folder and wait until the phone reboots to bootloader again (around 2-3 minutes)
7- Open CMD on your computer and type
Code:
cd c:\adb
, then
Code:
fastboot -w
and when it's done
Code:
fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img
8- TWRP will boot on your phone, surely in Russian, check the box and swipe to allow modifications on /system. I suggest you to set TWRP on your language (if not Russian of course :p), the language setting is on the right column on the third button, and then, the globe icon (the last one), choose your language and set it up using the gray button.
*If you can't get to TWRP the first time, after the Android One Screen, keep pressing volume down and power buttons, when the phone shuts down, release the button power and get into fastboot again and try the command described above (fastboot boot TWRP...). Try until you can get into TWRP recovery, the first time took me around 4-5 times.
8.1- According to your language, go to Install > Select Storage > Micro SD card and flash TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip, once it's done, go to the home screen.
8.2- Now tap on Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes and go back to the home screen again.
8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
9- Install > Magisk-v19.4.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, go to the home screen and tap on Reboot > Bootloader
9.1- On CMD type
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
and when it's done, press the power button to start.
10- The phone will show Android One Logo > Unlocked Bootloader warning screen > Android One Logo > It will reboot and will repeat the same process
10.1- After that scary but necessary reboot, it will reach the setup screen and... It will reboot and will repeat the process shown on step 10.
11- Once it reaches the setup screen again it will not reboot again (randoms reboot has been reported, nothing serious, let it reboot and keep it using).
12- Complete setup.
13- Uninstall Magisk Manager and install the APK you've copied to your External SD on step 4.

Now you're rooted.

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole guide and excuse my not-so-well (poor is threshed) english.
The original guide didn't work for me on the part when it says to boot TWRP using fastboot > Wipe Data > boot TWRP via fastboot again, it kept hanging on the Android One screen.

Greetings,
Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

Last edited:

anongh0st

Feb 23, 2016
I keep getting stuck on boot screen

Has anyone tried it yet? Because I tried to root the device following the guide but can't get it to boot in twrp. Every time I try to, It gets stuck on the boot screen and Then I have to repair it through moto smart assistant

sfoot13

Apr 24, 2013
www.flickr.com
Root Moto One Action - Working on Android Pie (9) and Q (10) 23.01.2020

Has anyone tried it yet? Because I tried to root the device following the guide but can't get it to boot in twrp. Every time I try to, It gets stuck on the boot screen and Then I have to repair it through moto smart assistant
There's another way to do it.
Download the files and install magisk on your phone.

1. Open magisk and patch your boot.ing
2. Save your patched boot to adb-fastboot folder.
3. Reboot to bootloader.
4. Flash vbmeta.img: fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
5. Flash your patched boot: fastboot flash boot_a PATCHEDBOOT.IMG
6. Flash vbmeta_patched: fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
7. fastboot erase userdata and reboot.
8. Configure your phone and install magisk manager apk.
9. Here, you'll need and app... Franco kernel app, because that app allow you to flash zips without twrp (I don't know a similar app).
10. Open Franco kernel app and install twrp installer zip and reboot.
11. Reboot into FASTBOOT and type fastboot -w after that, select "Reboot Recovery".
12. Now, configure Twrp, change language and format Data (type YES), if you don't format data, you'll end in bootloop.
13. Flash magisk again because the phone was unrooted when twrp installer was flashed and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip.
14. Reboot and if everything was successfully, you should be rooted with twrp working.
15. Be grateful :)

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

@Tuandroidaldia
Thank you so much for the guide :D

Last edited:

sfoot13

Apr 24, 2013
www.flickr.com
If you want to UPGRADE or DOWNGRADE MAGISK, do this:

Download the Magisk version that you need and reboot into recovery.

1. Flash the downloaded Magisk version.
2. Now flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
3. Reboot.
4. Check if everything is ok.
5. Hit or say "thanks".

Reactions: binary**# and Gypsy

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018

I rooted my device and then made this guide, so yes, I "followed" it :p If you're not able to boot into TWRP then you're missing some steps, like "fastboot -w"

binary**#

Mar 20, 2014
new delhi
www.droidwin.com
Hi, I just have a little query. My device model number is XT2013-2. Since you performed the aforementioned steps on XT2013-1, do you have any idea whether it will work on my device or not? The sole reason I cannot go ahead and try it myself is that the XT2013-2 is currently not supported by Moto Smart Assistant. So I don't want to leave my device in a bricked state with no workaround. Therefore any help in this regard will be highly appreciated. :)

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018
Hi, I just have a little query. My device model number is XT2013-2. Since you performed the aforementioned steps on XT2013-1, do you have any idea whether it will work on my device or not? The sole reason I cannot go ahead and try it myself is that the XT2013-2 is currently not supported by Moto Smart Assistant. So I don't want to leave my device in a bricked state with no workaround. Therefore any help in this regard will be highly appreciated. :)

I bricked my device a few times and never used "Moto Smart Assistant", only fastboot and fastboot commands. In order to achieve root on your device, you should get the firmware (step 2.1). In case you have no luck getting root, you can recover your device using fastboot and fastboot commands.

Reactions: binary**#

binary**#

Mar 20, 2014
new delhi
www.droidwin.com
I bricked my device a few times and never used "Moto Smart Assistant", only fastboot and fastboot commands. In order to achieve root on your device, you should get the firmware (step 2.1). In case you have no luck getting root, you can recover your device using fastboot and fastboot commands.

Got it. Thanks :) By the way, is there any batch file to execute these all fastboot commands at one go? Because I only know the fastboot commands for flashing all the sparsechunk, .bin and.img files. But on extracting the stock firmware. there seem to be various other files as well, of which I have no clue whatsoever. Neither do I have any idea regarding their fastboot commands. :confused:

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018
Got it. Thanks :) By the way, is there any batch file to execute these all fastboot commands at one go? Because I only know the fastboot commands for flashing all the sparsechunk, .bin and.img files. But on extracting the stock firmware. there seem to be various other files as well, of which I have no clue whatsoever. Neither do I have any idea regarding their fastboot commands. :confused:

Yes, download the file attached in the 2nd step in this post and grab the file "KANE_flash_stock.bat" and if the firmware you downloaded for your XT2013-2 has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
Code:

Unzip the firmware file and copy "KANE_flash_stock.bat" to the unzipped firmware folder.

binary**#

Mar 20, 2014
new delhi
www.droidwin.com
Yes, download the file attached in the 2nd step in this post and grab the file "KANE_flash_stock.bat" and if the firmware you downloaded for your XT2013-2 has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
Code:

Unzip the firmware file and copy "KANE_flash_stock.bat" to the unzipped firmware folder.

It seems my wordings confused you. By saying "these fastboot commands", I was referring to the fastboot commands to be used while flashing the files of the stock firmware and not for the rooting process. The latter part you have already explained quite well in the first post itself. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions :)

binary**#

Mar 20, 2014
new delhi
www.droidwin.com
So here are my results

After unlocking the bootloader, I was able to execute the process upto the point we have to boot the TWRP recovery. Although the fastboot command showed the success message while booting to twrp recovery, yet the device got stuck in the Android One screen. So then I had to (obviously) skip the flashing of TWRP zip, Magisk zip, and DM Verity file. I went ahead and flashed the vbmeta file and the device got booted to Android OS without any hiccups. So currently the device works normally but without root (and recovery). The only reason I guess for that is you have tried this on XT 2013-1 whereas mine was XT 2013-2. But still, I don't think that should have made such a glaring difference.
As a side note, please change the TWRP boot command from fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_One_Vision.img
to fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img. The zip file contains the TWRP recovery with the latter name. Although not a big issue for us, still any new user may get confused with the subsequent error message that will pop up.

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018
It seems my wordings confused you. By saying "these fastboot commands", I was referring to the fastboot commands to be used while flashing the files of the stock firmware and not for the rooting process. The latter part you have already explained quite well in the first post itself. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions :)

I understood you. One of the steps for achieving root is to flash the Stock Firmware (with the patched vbmeta.img), so, If you want to go back to stock, you have to flash the entire firmware using the same commands as described above (with the stock vbmeta.img)

Tuandroidaldia

Jul 7, 2018
After unlocking the bootloader, I was able to execute the process upto the point we have to boot the TWRP recovery. Although the fastboot command showed the success message while booting to twrp recovery, yet the device got stuck in the Android One screen. So then I had to (obviously) skip the flashing of TWRP zip, Magisk zip, and DM Verity file. I went ahead and flashed the vbmeta file and the device got booted to Android OS without any hiccups. So currently the device works normally but without root (and recovery). The only reason I guess for that is you have tried this on XT 2013-1 whereas mine was XT 2013-2. But still, I don't think that should have made such a glaring difference.
As a side note, please change the TWRP boot command from fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_One_Vision.img
to fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img. The zip file contains the TWRP recovery with the latter name. Although not a big issue for us, still any new user may get confused with the subsequent error message that will pop up.

Thanks for the note, I'll change the guide ASAP. If you don't get to TWRP at the first try, you have to reboot into bootloader again (keep pressing the power button and volumen down button until it powers off, release the power button and it should reboot to bootloader), enter fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img and see if you can boot into TWRP, if not, try again until you can boot to TWRP (it took me around 3 or 4 times to get TWRP booted on my One Action the first time)

drtweak

May 4, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Hi Guys!

Got my Action One today (US User here!) and was pulling out my damn hair!!!

For those who can NOT boot into TWRP double check STEP 3!!! My issue was, even though I copied the extra zip file into the firmware folder, it did NOT overwrite the vbmeta.img so it was still loading the non patched version! Once I saw that the version it was flashing was from 9-16-2019 (For my firmware - RETAIL) and not the one from the zip from 9-26-2019! Once did that, on the second try TWRP booted and volia!

SO OP Please add to check the vbmeta.img is the correct version being flashed if they can not boot to TWRP and thanks for the instructions!

Reactions: Gypsy

drtweak

May 4, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Ok so stupid me (This happened to me on my G5s+. I come from Quark so there was only one possible firmware for the phone since it was a verizon branded firmware) flashed the wrong firmware (RETAIL vs RETUS) but this guys doesn't see to work on the XT2013-4 though. The RETAIL firmware will let me have data but no voice on Verizon.

Any suggestions anyone?

thalesjans

Nov 7, 2019
My dear ... I did all the correct procedure, following every detail and more than once. And it didn't work! Neither this method nor the replacement of boot.img with the magiskmanager patch. "failed to validate boot image"

Motorola One Action XT2013-1

Sorry for the Google translator.

thalesjans

Nov 7, 2019
Nothing works. Neither the original setup nor enter TWRP. This available TWRP doesn't even actually install (Failed). I downloaded from the unofficial TWRP site, and this was OKAY but did not boot ... already did and redo the procedure more than ten times ... give up !!!

drtweak

May 4, 2010
OnePlus 8T
Nothing works. Neither the original setup nor enter TWRP. This available TWRP doesn't even actually install (Failed). I downloaded from the unofficial TWRP site, and this was OKAY but did not boot ... already did and redo the procedure more than ten times ... give up !!!

So you first downloaded and flashed your firmware from the listed and did the sets to add in the extra line of code for it? Did that even complete? Then the fastboot -w? Also you copied over the vbmeta.img in the zip to the firmware folder? Twrp will not boot if that patched file is not there. Also you only boot from twrp not flash it. You don't flash it until later

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Also what model of the XT2013 are you uaing? There is XT2013-1 thru XR2013-4.

binary**#

Mar 20, 2014
new delhi
www.droidwin.com
Root success! Xt2013-2

So I finally rooted my Moto One Action (XT2013-2). I read on many forums that the method of flashing the patched boot.img file gave some kind of validation error for their boot files. But anyhow I went ahead with the very method and was able to successfully root my device. Here are the steps to be followed.

STEPS:

View attachment 4870223

NOTE: USERS HAVING XT 2013-2 (INDIAN VARIANT) MAY DIRECTLY TAKE MY PATCHED BOOT.IMG FILE. IT IS BASED ON THE FIRMWARE VERSION PSBS29.39-23-6

1. Extract the boot.img file from the stock firmware.
2. Patch it via Magisk Manager. The magisk_patched.img file will now be created under the Downloads folder. Move it to the platform-tools folder on your desktop.
3. Reboot to fastboot mode and flash the vbmeta file via fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
4. Now use the fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img to flash the patched boot file.
5. Next, flash the vbmeta patched file using fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
6. Then erase user data using fastboot erase userdata
7. Finally fastboot reboot
8 Now set up the device and install the Magisk Manager app.
9. Head over to the Magisk Manager app. It will ask for some additional configurations. Allow it. It will take a minute or two for the Magisk configuration to complete. Once done, your device will automatically reboot once. it's normal.
10. That's it. Your Moto One Action will now be successfully rooted (as already mentioned, the process was carried on the version XT 2013-2.)

Reactions: Wintershade

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP + MAGISK for our Motorola One Action​

First of all, let me thank to @ilia3367 for his big effort bringing the joy of mod to our phones (One Vision and Action) and my fellow countryman @sfoot13 for his unvaluable help.
    Original guide

Disclaimer

* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Backup all your personal information, it'll be wiped.
    * This process was performed on the XT2013-1 using PSBS29.-21-20-4 compilation.

Instructions
    1- Unlock your Motorola One Action using Motorola's Official Guide.
    2- Download this file to your PC.
    2.1- Get the latest compilation of your firmware, according to your region, here.
    2.2- Unzip the file downloaded on step 2 on c:\adb (you should already have installed ADB, Fastboot and Drivers at this point) and unzip the firmware in a place of your convenience.
    3- Copy the files KANE_flash_stock.bat and vbmeta.img (remember, both files are from the file you've downloaded on the step 2) of c:\adb to the firmware folder you unzipped on step 2.2.
    3.1- Some firmwares have one more system.img_sparsechunk than others, in case the firmware you've download has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
    Code:
    4- Copy this files (located at c:\adb) to your External SD (mandatory):
    • Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    • MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk
    • Magisk-v19.4.zip
    • TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip

This is where the fun begins.

5- Reboot your phone to bootloader mode.
    6- Once detected, execute the KANE_flash_stock.bat you've edited and copied to the firmware folder and wait until the phone reboots to bootloader again (around 2-3 minutes)
    7- Open CMD on your computer and type
    Code:
    cd c:\adb
    , then
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    and when it's done
    Code:
    fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img
    8- TWRP will boot on your phone, surely in Russian, check the box and swipe to allow modifications on /system. I suggest you to set TWRP on your language (if not Russian of course :p), the language setting is on the right column on the third button, and then, the globe icon (the last one), choose your language and set it up using the gray button.
    *If you can't get to TWRP the first time, after the Android One Screen, keep pressing volume down and power buttons, when the phone shuts down, release the button power and get into fastboot again and try the command described above (fastboot boot TWRP...). Try until you can get into TWRP recovery, the first time took me around 4-5 times.
    8.1- According to your language, go to Install > Select Storage > Micro SD card and flash TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip, once it's done, go to the home screen.
    8.2- Now tap on Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes and go back to the home screen again.
    8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
    9- Install > Magisk-v19.4.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, go to the home screen and tap on Reboot > Bootloader
    9.1- On CMD type
    Code:
    fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
    and when it's done, press the power button to start.
    10- The phone will show Android One Logo > Unlocked Bootloader warning screen > Android One Logo > It will reboot and will repeat the same process
    10.1- After that scary but necessary reboot, it will reach the setup screen and... It will reboot and will repeat the process shown on step 10.
    11- Once it reaches the setup screen again it will not reboot again (randoms reboot has been reported, nothing serious, let it reboot and keep it using).
    12- Complete setup.
    13- Uninstall Magisk Manager and install the APK you've copied to your External SD on step 4.

Now you're rooted.

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole guide and excuse my not-so-well (poor is threshed) english.
    The original guide didn't work for me on the part when it says to boot TWRP using fastboot > Wipe Data > boot TWRP via fastboot again, it kept hanging on the Android One screen.

Greetings,
    Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

Motorola One Action just got an official TWRP version.
    https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolaoneaction.html
    If you want to UPGRADE or DOWNGRADE MAGISK, do this:

Download the Magisk version that you need and reboot into recovery.

1. Flash the downloaded Magisk version.
    2. Now flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    3. Reboot.
    4. Check if everything is ok.
    5. Hit or say "thanks".
    Hey guys! I'm getting a strange error at the end of the KANE_flash_stock.bat script...

Code:
    >fastboot.exe erase ddr
    erasing 'ddr'...
    (bootloader) Permission denied
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 0.050s

What is ddr? Why am I getting a "permission denied" error, and what will be the consequences of this partition not getting wiped?
    Thanks in advance!

The general error could be that your bootloader has been locked. However, that happens very rarely in the middle of the process (but if it does, sometimes the OEM unlocked toggle also gets disabled and it's a never-ending struggle then).

If you're on Android 10 build, then the more logical error could be the fact that you're using the batch file that has been made for Android 9.0 Pie. The fastboot command is quite different for Android 10. if you want, I have uploaded the Android 10 fastboot flashing batch file on this XDA post. I always flash the Android 10 stock firmware and it works perfectly. In your case make sure to replace the stock vbmeta file with the one provided in the first post and then execute this file.

For more info on command changes, take the help of this post provided by tys0n.
    Guys, steps updated.
    You can root your phone with android Pie (9) or Q (10).
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80443815&postcount=3