• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TWRP + MAGISK] Root your Motorola One Action

Search This thread

lowvolt1

Feb 29, 2012
"fastboot flash boot_a boot.img", where boot.img might be replaced by the file's name of your magisk_patched.img.

If you want to use the patching image method, make sure you're using the appropriate set of command for Android 10 it has changed a litte bit from Android 9 to Android 10.

flashboot_a is not an Android 10 command, I'm not even sure it's in android 9. It might be FASTboot instead of FLASHboot... If you want more help, please refer us the procedure you used and make sure it was written for appropriate Android Version

/Cheers
Im using the method in OP. I can now get to the "teamwin" screen but it just hangs there. I can't click on anything. There isnt anything to click on.

Gypsy

Mar 11, 2014
Montreal
Motorola One Action
Moto G8
Im using the method in OP. I can now get to the "teamwin" screen but it just hangs there. I can't click on anything. There isnt anything to click on.
"... It just hangs there. I can't click on anything"

It will take approximately 30 seconds and a menu with eight boxes will appear. From there you will able to continue the procedure.

Attachments

• TWRP_8 boxes_menu.png
    TWRP_8 boxes_menu.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 8

lowvolt1

Feb 29, 2012
After 3 days and numerous attempts, Bricking and un-bricking my device. I have finally managed to gain root access. I followed the steps in the OP and for some reason, it finally worked. Persistence paid off in the end.

benniehelder

Sep 26, 2016
TWRP + MAGISK for our Motorola One Action

First of all, let me thank to @ilia3367 for his big effort bringing the joy of mod to our phones (One Vision and Action) and my fellow countryman @sfoot13 for his unvaluable help.
Original guide

Disclaimer

Instructions
1- Unlock your Motorola One Action using Motorola's Official Guide.
2- Download this file to your PC.
2.1- Get the latest compilation of your firmware, according to your region, here.
2.2- Unzip the file downloaded on step 2 on c:\adb (you should already have installed ADB, Fastboot and Drivers at this point) and unzip the firmware in a place of your convenience.
3- Copy the files KANE_flash_stock.bat and vbmeta.img (remember, both files are from the file you've downloaded on the step 2) of c:\adb to the firmware folder you unzipped on step 2.2.
3.1- Some firmwares have one more system.img_sparsechunk than others, in case the firmware you've download has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
Code:
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.10
4- Copy this files (located at c:\adb) to your External SD (mandatory):
  • Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
  • MagiskManager-v7.3.4.apk
  • Magisk-v19.4.zip
  • TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip

This is where the fun begins.

5- Reboot your phone to bootloader mode.
6- Once detected, execute the KANE_flash_stock.bat you've edited and copied to the firmware folder and wait until the phone reboots to bootloader again (around 2-3 minutes)
7- Open CMD on your computer and type
Code:
cd c:\adb
, then
Code:
fastboot -w
and when it's done
Code:
fastboot boot TWRP-3.3.1_Motorola_One_Vision.img
8- TWRP will boot on your phone, surely in Russian, check the box and swipe to allow modifications on /system. I suggest you to set TWRP on your language (if not Russian of course :p), the language setting is on the right column on the third button, and then, the globe icon (the last one), choose your language and set it up using the gray button.
*If you can't get to TWRP the first time, after the Android One Screen, keep pressing volume down and power buttons, when the phone shuts down, release the button power and get into fastboot again and try the command described above (fastboot boot TWRP...). Try until you can get into TWRP recovery, the first time took me around 4-5 times.
8.1- According to your language, go to Install > Select Storage > Micro SD card and flash TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip, once it's done, go to the home screen.
8.2- Now tap on Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes and go back to the home screen again.
8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
9- Install > Magisk-v19.4.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, go to the home screen and tap on Reboot > Bootloader
9.1- On CMD type
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
and when it's done, press the power button to start.
10- The phone will show Android One Logo > Unlocked Bootloader warning screen > Android One Logo > It will reboot and will repeat the same process
10.1- After that scary but necessary reboot, it will reach the setup screen and... It will reboot and will repeat the process shown on step 10.
11- Once it reaches the setup screen again it will not reboot again (randoms reboot has been reported, nothing serious, let it reboot and keep it using).
12- Complete setup.
13- Uninstall Magisk Manager and install the APK you've copied to your External SD on step 4.

Now you're rooted.

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole guide and excuse my not-so-well (poor is threshed) english.
The original guide didn't work for me on the part when it says to boot TWRP using fastboot > Wipe Data > boot TWRP via fastboot again, it kept hanging on the Android One screen.

Greetings,
Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

First of all, let me thank to @ilia3367 for his big effort bringing the joy of mod to our phones (One Vision and Action) and my fellow countryman @sfoot13 for his unvaluable help.
Original guide

Disclaimer

Instructions
2.1- Get the latest compilation of your firmware, according to your region, here.
2.2- Unzip the file downloaded on step 2 on c:\adb (you should already have installed ADB, Fastboot and Drivers at this point) and unzip the firmware in a place of your convenience.
3- Copy the files KANE_flash_stock.bat and vbmeta.img (remember, both files are from the file you've downloaded on the step 2) of c:\adb to the firmware folder you unzipped on step 2.2.
3.1- Some firmwares have one more system.img_sparsechunk than others, in case the firmware you've download has 10 system.img_sparsechunk add the follow line (after the 9th system.img_sparsechunk) to the .bat file using any text editor (notepad is ok) and save it:
Code:
  • Magisk-v19.4.zip

6- Once detected, execute the KANE_flash_stock.bat you've edited and copied to the firmware folder and wait until the phone reboots to bootloader again (around 2-3 minutes)
Code:
, then
Code:
fastboot -w
and when it's done
Code:
8- TWRP will boot on your phone, surely in Russian, check the box and swipe to allow modifications on /system. I suggest you to set TWRP on your language (if not Russian of course :p), the language setting is on the right column on the third button, and then, the globe icon (the last one), choose your language and set it up using the gray button.
*If you can't get to TWRP the first time, after the Android One Screen, keep pressing volume down and power buttons, when the phone shuts down, release the button power and get into fastboot again and try the command described above (fastboot boot TWRP...). Try until you can get into TWRP recovery, the first time took me around 4-5 times.
8.1- According to your language, go to Install > Select Storage > Micro SD card and flash TWRP-3.3.1_Installer_One_Vision.zip, once it's done, go to the home screen.
8.2- Now tap on Wipe > Format Data > Type Yes and go back to the home screen again.
8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
9- Install > Magisk-v19.4.zip and Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip, go to the home screen and tap on Reboot > Bootloader
9.1- On CMD type
Code:
10- The phone will show Android One Logo > Unlocked Bootloader warning screen > Android One Logo > It will reboot and will repeat the same process
10.1- After that scary but necessary reboot, it will reach the setup screen and... It will reboot and will repeat the process shown on step 10.
11- Once it reaches the setup screen again it will not reboot again (randoms reboot has been reported, nothing serious, let it reboot and keep it using).
12- Complete setup.
13- Uninstall Magisk Manager and install the APK you've copied to your External SD on step 4.

Now you're rooted.

Thanks for taking the time to read the whole guide and excuse my not-so-well (poor is threshed) english.
The original guide didn't work for me on the part when it says to boot TWRP using fastboot > Wipe Data > boot TWRP via fastboot again, it kept hanging on the Android One screen.

Greetings,
Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

the link, you referred to at point 2, is not available according Drive, so is it possible to make it available another way,? thx in advance bennie

benniehelder

Sep 26, 2016

Original guide

Disclaimer

Instructions
Code:
  • Magisk-v19.4.zip

Code:
, then
Code:
fastboot -w
and when it's done
Code:
8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
9.1- On CMD type
Code:
12- Complete setup.

Now you're rooted.

Greetings,
Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

can you please make available the file under 2, for we are not allowed to see or download that file!

benniehelder

Sep 26, 2016
Root Moto One Action - Working on Android Pie (9) and Q (10) 23.01.2020

There's another way to do it.
Download the files and install magisk on your phone.

1. Open magisk and patch your boot.ing
2. Save your patched boot to adb-fastboot folder.
3. Reboot to bootloader.
4. Flash vbmeta.img: fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
5. Flash your patched boot: fastboot flash boot_a PATCHEDBOOT.IMG
6. Flash vbmeta_patched: fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta_patch.img
7. fastboot erase userdata and reboot.
8. Configure your phone and install magisk manager apk.
9. Here, you'll need and app... Franco kernel app, because that app allow you to flash zips without twrp (I don't know a similar app).
10. Open Franco kernel app and install twrp installer zip and reboot.
11. Reboot into FASTBOOT and type fastboot -w after that, select "Reboot Recovery".
12. Now, configure Twrp, change language and format Data (type YES), if you don't format data, you'll end in bootloop.
13. Flash magisk again because the phone was unrooted when twrp installer was flashed and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip.
14. Reboot and if everything was successfully, you should be rooted with twrp working.
15. Be grateful :)

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

@Tuandroidaldia
Thank you so much for the guide :D

3. Reboot to bootloader.
9. Here, you'll need and app... Franco kernel app, because that app allow you to flash zips without twrp (I don't know a similar app).
11. Reboot into FASTBOOT and type fastboot -w after that, select "Reboot Recovery".
12. Now, configure Twrp, change language and format Data (type YES), if you don't format data, you'll end in bootloop.
13. Flash magisk again because the phone was unrooted when twrp installer was flashed and flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip.
14. Reboot and if everything was successfully, you should be rooted with twrp working.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

@Tuandroidaldia
what to do when you cannot get flashed the rules 4,5,6 because bootloader failed , time and time again?

benniehelder

Sep 26, 2016

3. Reboot to bootloader.

@Tuandroidaldia
when you fastboot erase userdata no.7 , then is your phone empty and is dead, isn't it? What do you mean by no.8: configer your phone?

triple_sixteen

Dec 5, 2021
Hi everyone!
I have a Motorola One Action (Troika XT-2013-2) with Android 11 and have followed the guide at page 1, with disastrous result, a seven hour of bootloop (After i will explain how to resolve it). So I want show you the steps that I followed for install TWRP and Magisk on my Motorola:
  1. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) Verify that is install Java SE Development Kit, open cmd and type:
    java -version
    If it show the Java version then is installed, else you must install the kit.
  2. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) Install Android SDK Tools, from the official website,
    https://developer.android.com/studio/
    in particular the command line version. After download and unzip the file, rename the folder from "cmdline-tools" to "tools" and make the folder "C:\Android\cmdline-tools" and place here "tools". If you don't follow this step, you will see the error:
    Error: Could not determine SDK root.
    Open CMD in "C:\Android\cmdline-tools\tools\bin" folder and type:
    sdkmanager.bat "platform-tools"
    Press "y", is created the folder "platform-tools".
  3. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) Download twrp zip file and twrp image from:
    https://eu.dl.twrp.me/troika/
    Put twrp image in "C:\Android\platform-tools" and rename the image to "twrp.img" for simplicity. The .zip must be move in SDcard.
  4. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) Install vbmeta.tar from
    https://dl.twrp.me/gts4lvwifi/vbmeta.tar.html
    Unzip the file and move vbmeta.img in "C:\Android\platform-tools".
  5. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) From Magisk site
    https://magisk.me/
    download apk and zip file, and put both in SDcard.
  6. (On your PC)(OS: Windows)(If You Don't) Unlock your bootloader following the official website:
    https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/
    Remember: you have just installed Android SDK , so you must run the commands in "C:\Android\platform-tools".
    Remember: turn on Debug Usb in Development Option on you device.
    Debugging: It's possible that the line generated are less than four, re-run the last command.
  7. (On Motorola) Put the SD card in your phone, verify that debug usb in on, and turn off the device, press "Power Button + Volume Down" to launch the Fastboot Mode.
  8. (On your PC)(OS: Windows) Connect it to PC, run CMD in "C:\Android\platform-tools", and type
    fastboot -w
    (This command wipe your data)
    fastboot flah vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
    (This flash a empty version of vbmeta)
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    (This boot TWRP as recovery).
  9. Now follow the Guide at page 1 but DON'T REFLASH VBMETA this will produce a bootloop.

For exit to bootloop press "Power Button + Volume Down" between Warning Page and logo screen (you have few seconds), you should have started the Fastboot Mode. Install on your PC: "Rescue and Smart Assistant Tool" of motorola
https://www.motorola.com/us/rescue-and-smart-assistant/p
Connect your device to computer and follow the guide. This app is also useful to remove TWRP and Magisk from your device but doesn't restore the bootloader.

As much as I want to help, I do not take any responsibility for what you do on your device. If you follow my guide you cannot hold me responsible.

Reactions: _generic

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWRP + MAGISK for our Motorola One Action​

Original guide

Disclaimer

* I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Backup all your personal information, it'll be wiped.
    * This process was performed on the XT2013-1 using PSBS29.-21-20-4 compilation.

Instructions
    Code:
    • Magisk-v19.4.zip

Code:
    , then
    Code:
    fastboot -w
    and when it's done
    Code:
    8.3- Reboot to Recovery.
    9.1- On CMD type
    Code:
    12- Complete setup.

Now you're rooted.

Greetings,
    Charly.

Screenshot:

Bv1S6zo.jpg

Motorola One Action just got an official TWRP version.
    https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolaoneaction.html
    If you want to UPGRADE or DOWNGRADE MAGISK, do this:

Download the Magisk version that you need and reboot into recovery.

1. Flash the downloaded Magisk version.
    2. Now flash Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt.zip
    3. Reboot.
    4. Check if everything is ok.
    5. Hit or say "thanks".
    Hey guys! I'm getting a strange error at the end of the KANE_flash_stock.bat script...

Code:
    >fastboot.exe erase ddr
    erasing 'ddr'...
    (bootloader) Permission denied
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 0.050s

What is ddr? Why am I getting a "permission denied" error, and what will be the consequences of this partition not getting wiped?
    Thanks in advance!

The general error could be that your bootloader has been locked. However, that happens very rarely in the middle of the process (but if it does, sometimes the OEM unlocked toggle also gets disabled and it's a never-ending struggle then).

If you're on Android 10 build, then the more logical error could be the fact that you're using the batch file that has been made for Android 9.0 Pie. The fastboot command is quite different for Android 10. if you want, I have uploaded the Android 10 fastboot flashing batch file on this XDA post. I always flash the Android 10 stock firmware and it works perfectly. In your case make sure to replace the stock vbmeta file with the one provided in the first post and then execute this file.

For more info on command changes, take the help of this post provided by tys0n.
    Guys, steps updated.
    You can root your phone with android Pie (9) or Q (10).
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80443815&postcount=3