[TWRP][merlin] TWRP for Moto G Turbo

Search This thread

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
This is my version of TWRP built for the 2015 Moto G Turbo. I don't have the device and haven't tested it myself, but it has been reported to work fine. Using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
  • My original green theme
  • No SuperSU
  • No TWRP app
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto G Turbo (merlin), Tool/Utility for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_merlin

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2016-01-17
Last Updated 2018-08-16

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
Initial Build

I've posted the first ever TWRP build for merlin. I don't have the device, so I don't know if it works. I do expect it to work though. You should be able to flash it permanently and not be forced to "fastboot boot" it as was the case with the osprey TWRP, since I am using a suitable kernel. Please let me know if this TWRP works for you.

If you are feeling adventurous and are running the Marshmallow stock ROM, I encourage you to try my experimental brand new "Squid Kernel r14" for merlin. First make a backup of your current setup, then you can flash the merlin zip from the kernel thread.

ashish0304

Feb 10, 2011
Can't I unlock bootloader without help from Motorola? Because just yesterday I bought moto g Turbo and don't want to loose warranty!

Last edited:

drmuruga

Oct 9, 2015
sivakasi
POCO M2 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 10i
I just unlock bootloader and flash squids twrp and root with supersu 2.62.3 on my g turbo marshmallow. working well.we got everything twrp, root, xposed,etc still need custom roms and g turbo forum in xda, we will get them soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my version of TWRP built for the 2015 Moto G Turbo. I don't have the device and haven't tested it myself, but it has been reported to work fine. Using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
    • My original green theme
    • No SuperSU
    • No TWRP app
    • No HTC Dumlock cruft
    • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is up on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Moto G Turbo (merlin), Tool/Utility for the Moto G 2015

Contributors
    squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_merlin

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-16

Created 2016-01-17
    Last Updated 2018-08-16
    Initial Build

I've posted the first ever TWRP build for merlin. I don't have the device, so I don't know if it works. I do expect it to work though. You should be able to flash it permanently and not be forced to "fastboot boot" it as was the case with the osprey TWRP, since I am using a suitable kernel. Please let me know if this TWRP works for you.

If you are feeling adventurous and are running the Marshmallow stock ROM, I encourage you to try my experimental brand new "Squid Kernel r14" for merlin. First make a backup of your current setup, then you can flash the merlin zip from the kernel thread.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.1-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork. It brings bug fixes related to the ADB backup feature, and also executes automated recovery scripts (such as wipe and update commands) without first waiting for the user to enter a decryption password. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.1.0-r1

I've rebased my TWRP fork on the latest upstream code, and switched to a nougat build environment. As a reminder of the differences between my TWRP fork and the upstream, mine has no SuperSU, no TWRP app, my green theme, updated compression code, and I removed some cruft. The download for my new build is up on the downloads tab as usual.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.0-r1

I've posted a new build of my TWRP with the latest changes from upstream. It brings better support for Oreo zips while still supporting older ones. It also has improvements to the reliability of backups.