• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question TWRP/Nandroid backup for Pixel 5a?

Search This thread

puterboy

Jun 24, 2012
I have my Pixel 5a rooted using Magisk -- which works great...
Would like to get TWRP working so I can do nandroid backups.
Do any of the existing TWRP images? If not when might one be available for the 5a?

Meanwhile I have my backups relatively covered with a combination of:
- Google backup (lowest common denominator)
- SwiftBackup (scheduled to run once a day with the images rsync'ed to my server
- Titanium Backup (though I use this more for legacy)
- My own daily rsync copy of the /data, /sdcard, /system/, /cache, /persist partitions (actually I use BackupPC which allows me to dedup backups and recreate all the perms, timestamps, etc.)
I assume that this is relatively equivalent to a nandroid backup

Overkill for sure...

koreyb

Jun 25, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
I got the 4a and went ahead and got the 5a as well with the Fi subscription for ****s and gigs. I love the size of the 4a but hate how cheap it feels. Using that as my daily with DU rom. 5a feels much better but I wish it was smaller. I'm hoping we get some good development for it but I feel like it will be sparse coming so soon after the 4a/5g/5 and the 6 right around the corner.

I realize none of this is really helpful but maybe somebody will see this and has some info about anything in the works for the 5a. Here's to hoping.

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
I got the 4a and went ahead and got the 5a as well with the Fi subscription for ****s and gigs. I love the size of the 4a but hate how cheap it feels. Using that as my daily with DU rom. 5a feels much better but I wish it was smaller. I'm hoping we get some good development for it but I feel like it will be sparse coming so soon after the 4a/5g/5 and the 6 right around the corner.

I realize none of this is really helpful but maybe somebody will see this and has some info about anything in the works for the 5a. Here's to hoping.
There is a custom Lineage Rom for the pixel 5a and that's it for right now but the device is fairly new. I'm sure there will be other roms for it eventually.

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
I attempted porting TWRP but after getting lots of arcane errors from an arcane build system I gave up on that.
I don't know anything about it except the fact that the pixel 5a is the same as the pixel 4a as that the system partition is NOT big enough for twrp and it's installed through ramdisk on the 4a with a custom kernel that supports compression so that it can be big enough and since Android 11 came along, the boot.img is now a part of the recovery which makes buiding a workable twrp much harder, even more so with a/b devices.

Reactions: rhewins2268

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I attempted porting TWRP but after getting lots of arcane errors from an arcane build system I gave up on that.
    I don't know anything about it except the fact that the pixel 5a is the same as the pixel 4a as that the system partition is NOT big enough for twrp and it's installed through ramdisk on the 4a with a custom kernel that supports compression so that it can be big enough and since Android 11 came along, the boot.img is now a part of the recovery which makes buiding a workable twrp much harder, even more so with a/b devices.