Question TWRP on ROG5

Search This thread

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
Apologies in advance if this has been covered in other posts but is there currently a working/confirmed way of flashing TWRP to ROG5?

I'm not able to flash it using the recovery_a/b method (permission denied) with fastboot. Even just Fastboot Boot'ing it gets me stuck in bootloader, so I'm not even sure flashing it successfully would be good (bootloop/softbrick). My bootloader is definitely unlocked. Driving me nuts, I'm about to give up.

There are no official ROG5 versions of TWRP on Teamwin's web page, so I went with the img for ROG3 hoping the 2 devices are close enough for it to work but I'm unsure.

If anyone has done it successfully and don't mind sharing what version you used and how you flashed it, that would be appreciated.

ChrisFeiveel

Jun 19, 2017
German
www.xboxhacks.de
I think the rog 5 has no separate recovery partition. with the rog 5, if I have seen it correctly, the recovery is there in the boot.img (if there is a twrp for there, you will boot this "twrp.img" via fastboot and then flash the "twrp.zip" with it the twrp is permanently installed

That would mean if restoring the boot image doesn't fix the recovery, a full raw flash may be necessary to fix the partitions.

Here is the recovery.fstab
Code:
@ -0,0 +1,38 @@
# Copyright (c) 2019, The Linux Foundation. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
#       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
#       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
#       with the distribution.
#     * Neither the name of The Linux Foundation nor the names of its
#       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
#       from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
# BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
# OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
# IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#device         mount point      fstype        [device2] [length=]
system                                                  /system                ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
system_ext                                              /system_ext            ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
product                                                 /product               ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
vendor                                                  /vendor                ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb,logical,first_stage_mount
odm                                                     /odm                   ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb,logical,first_stage_mount
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/metadata                  /metadata              ext4    noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard                         wait,check,formattable,wrappedkey,first_stage_mount
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata                  /data                  f2fs    noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard,reserve_root=32768,resgid=1065,fsync_mode=nobarrier    latemount,wait,check,formattable,fileencryption=ice,wrappedkey,keydirectory=/metadata/vold/metadata_encryption,quota,reservedsize=128M,sysfs_path=/sys/devices/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc,checkpoint=fs
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1                       /sdcard         vfat    nosuid,nodev                                               wait
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot         /boot           emmc    defaults                                                   defaults
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc         /misc           emmc    defaults                                                   defaults

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
That would mean if restoring the boot image doesn't fix the recovery, a full raw flash may be necessary to fix the partitions.

Here is the recovery.fstab
Code:
@ -0,0 +1,38 @@
# Copyright (c) 2019, The Linux Foundation. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
#     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
#       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
#     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
#       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
#       disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
#       with the distribution.
#     * Neither the name of The Linux Foundation nor the names of its
#       contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
#       from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
# ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
# BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
# OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
# IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#device         mount point      fstype        [device2] [length=]
system                                                  /system                ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
system_ext                                              /system_ext            ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
product                                                 /product               ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb=vbmeta_system,logical,first_stage_mount
vendor                                                  /vendor                ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb,logical,first_stage_mount
odm                                                     /odm                   ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                 wait,slotselect,avb,logical,first_stage_mount
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/metadata                  /metadata              ext4    noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard                         wait,check,formattable,wrappedkey,first_stage_mount
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/userdata                  /data                  f2fs    noatime,nosuid,nodev,discard,reserve_root=32768,resgid=1065,fsync_mode=nobarrier    latemount,wait,check,formattable,fileencryption=ice,wrappedkey,keydirectory=/metadata/vold/metadata_encryption,quota,reservedsize=128M,sysfs_path=/sys/devices/platform/soc/1d84000.ufshc,checkpoint=fs
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1                       /sdcard         vfat    nosuid,nodev                                               wait
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot         /boot           emmc    defaults                                                   defaults
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc         /misc           emmc    defaults                                                   defaults

I finally gave up. ASUS helped rebuilding the entire firmware on the device, did it free of charge. The message here is: Do NOT mess with getting TWRP on this device unless you know exactly what you're doing and have secured a way out after bricking the phone. Risk is high.

Btw @twistedumbrella, many thanks for your replies and assistance. Appreciated.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
I think the rog 5 has no separate recovery partition. with the rog 5, if I have seen it correctly, the recovery is there in the boot.img (if there is a twrp for there, you will boot this "twrp.img" via fastboot and then flash the "twrp.zip" with it the twrp is permanently installed

Yes, after reading all I found, that's my understanding too as to how it works. However, I strongly suggest not trying to 'Fastboot Boot twrp.img' as a temporary way to get to TWRP. I soft bricked mine by doing this.

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Back to the main question: from my very limited point of view there is no other phone that took so long to get twrp support. Do you think there will be a release at all? I have the feeling nobody is working on it at all.

ChrisFeiveel

Jun 19, 2017
German
www.xboxhacks.de
is not only with asus rog 5 so that there is no twrp as an example the oneplus 7t has been on the market for about 2 years and still does not have a fully functioning twrp (all devices from android 10 and android 11 somehow struggle with it)

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I never had a Smartphone without it - scares me a little bit to be honest. Twrp with it's backup saved my ass so many times 😅

Is there a backup alternative without it in case of a soft brick? I wasn't able to find any good solutions.. Seems like many without twrp have this issue.

Maybe this might be my reason against the rog 5

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You should probably stay away from anything that comes with Android 11 preinstalled, along with anything newer. That leaves devices that are at least 2 years old. Sounds like a wealth of slow times ahead.