Question Twrp on samsung a33

Search This thread

Dryfty

Sep 17, 2022
Ive been searching for ages and still havent found how to install twrp on my a33, is it even possible? Im trying to root my a33 with magisk but i need twrp. Im stuck and i dont know what to do

Dryfty

Sep 17, 2022
ive rooted my phone with magisk by using odin and a patched ap file by magisk, i installed my official software back because magisk kind of slowed down my devices, but now im waiting for twrp so i can install lineage os

Dryfty

Sep 17, 2022
you can only get lineage on a33 if you have twrp but a33 doesnt "support" twrp

imtmiissa

Jun 2, 2017
twitter.com
Ive been searching for ages and still havent found how to install twrp on my a33, is it even possible? Im trying to root my a33 with magisk but i need twrp. Im stuck and i dont know what to do
bro try this way to root

jmfindorff

Apr 7, 2022
I managed to get the Lineage OS "Light" GSI version by AndyYan https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/gsi-13-lineageos-20-light.4509315/ and it works well, but the process to install it is pretty involved and if you do anything wrong, you can easily soft-brick your phone. This process should also work for other gsi roms

First Download the Latest Version of Lineage OS "Light", of which the download link can be found in the thread above or here https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-20-light/ (There are three versions, vS "Vanilla with Superuser installed" vN "Non-SU Vanilla" and gN "Non-SU with GApps") If you want root, I suggest choosing one of the Non-SU versions and patching the stock AP tar with Magisk before starting this process as the Superuser version provides you a generic superuser app and installing magisk with it greets you with a abnormal state message every time you launch the Magisk Manager.

Second: Unpack the downloaded tar file using 7zip if on windows or with the tar command on linux, and then rename the unpacked .img file to system.img

Third: Get the stock firmware for your device using samloader or some other Samsung firmware downloader and unpack the archive file you get to a directory

Fourth: Unpack the AP tar file, you should get a bunch of files in .img.lz4 format.
Fifth: Find the super.img.lz4 file and decompress it using https://github.com/lz4/lz4/releases and this command
Code:
lz4.exe -d super.img.lz4 super.img

From this point onwards you are better off on linux (I've only tested this on Ubuntu WSL so far), if you're on windows 10+, I suggest enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux and downloading and running the Ubuntu distro from the Microsoft store, you can google how to do that.

Sixth: Within Linux (Ubuntu in my case), install the "android-platform-system-core" package using your preferred package manager (I know that package is available on Ubuntu, but I haven't researched whether any other linux distro has that package available). The main thing we want from that package is the shell script "simg2img" as the super.img is currently sparsed (compressed using the Android Sparse image format).

Seventh: If you already did the steps so far in Linux, just go to whatever directory you have the super.img stored, otherwise if you did everything in windows and have a Ubuntu WSL distro ready, you can copy the super.img directly into the ubuntu distro by going into file explorer and scrolling all the way to the bottom of the navigation pane till you see Linux, of which you can expand to find a Ubuntu network share folder, expand that and drag and drop the super.img into your root folder, as well as the system.img file (renamed gsi rom file).

Eighth: Unsparse the super.img using the command:
Code:
simg2img super.img *whatever*.img
This will give you a raw disk image of super.img that's about 9-10 gb. You can name the output file to whatever you want as long as you can discern which img is which, in fact after running the command you can delete the original as you no longer need it.

From here is where the process gets a bit tricky and I fully recommend reading through this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...are-binary-3-may.4053065/page-4#post-82241115
Ignore the fact that the thread is for the Galaxy a51 as the steps work for the a33 as well. When you get to the point where you've unpacked the Super.img, copy the GSI system.img over the stock one.

Now the part that can easily cause you to mess up is that when repacking super.img, you have to get the size of each file, including the unsparsed super.img and input the size in bytes of each file in place of what is given in the long command used to repack the image. The numbers you have to change are as follows:

--device super:4294967296 (Change to the file size of super.img)
--group main:4293513600 (Calculate the sum of the size of each of the .img files that were contained in the super.img, minus product.img as that's not needed)
--partition vendor:readonly:342155264:main (Change to the byte size of your vendor.img, same goes for system, odm and vendor_dlkm. Not sure if vendor_dlkm is required as it's not shown in the guide, but just to be safe, I'd recommend adding that in the same format as shown above for vendor just change vendor to vendor_dlkm)

File sizes can be acquired using the command:
Code:
ls -l

Another thing to note is that all of the file sizes must be divisible by 512 as that's the block size the img uses, if they all are, then you're good to go, if one or more aren't you're probably dealing with a corrupt file or that one of the img files is sparsed or compressed in some way. Once you've confirmed the file sizes are good, run the command. You can ignore the "Invalid sparse file format at header magic" message as it doesn't seem to mean anything bad for the process. You don't have to worry if the sparsed image file size is divisible by 512 as it more than like won't be evenly divisible as the file is compressed now.

Once that's done you can take the new modified super.img (make sure it's named that) out of the linux distro and back to windows.

Recompress the super.img back into super.img.lz4 using the command:
Code:
lz4.exe -B6 --content-size super.img super.img.lz4

Now package the super.img.lz4 file with all of the other files from the AP back into a tar file, I suggest using the tar-md5-script-tool.zip from this thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...sing-odin-without-twrp-phh-lineageos.4114435/
At this point, you can skip to step 24 on that guide and continue from there to install the custom rom, just remember to use super.img.lz4 instead of system.img.ext4.lz4, also ignore the .ext4 part, I think that's a device specific thing and the a33 from what I know doesn't have that.
Once you're done and you've booted up after flashing with ODIN, you should be greeted with the lovely Lineage OS Boot Screen

Bare in mind this is a barebones rom and many features may not work as intended since it's an unofficial build of Lineage OS and is intended to work with many devices without too many issues.

Top Liked Posts