Question TWRP / Orangefox (nandroid) backup & restore on a/b device (munch) possible?

Search This thread

DidierMoulin

Feb 3, 2016
LG G5
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
Hello,

I ran into a couple of problems, because my last phone was an LG G5 and had no a/b slots, so I'm new to this. I did read lots, and found that some folks say things about data encryption etc. But the version of orangefox we have for munch (thanks! @iscle for ofox and @M1LL3R for twrp) supports (de)crypt DATA. I managed to do a full backup of all partitions. But I am asking now if someone tried to restore a backup, yet? Somehow I messed up the OS, I got to "rescue party" reboot loop / boot to recovery - twice - no fun, google it. Sort of fixed it 2nd time by choosing other slot to boot, but magisk is gone. So now, because I need the phone in the next few weeks daily and don't have time to do a full new flash of OS, I don't dare to restore the backup right now in case something goes wrong.

When I have time, I will flash Poco firmware and do full reset and flash custom rom again, but I can't right now. So any information is very much appreciated!

Dimon909

Dec 8, 2013
So any information is very much appreciated!
I made backup using and twrp and orangefox: System, boot, data. Then immediately restored the data - the phone did not turn on. Made backup else time. Format data - restore data, don't turn on. Phone freezes on the miui logo. I don’t know what is the problem, I couldn’t restore using backup copy.

Reactions: DidierMoulin

DidierMoulin

Feb 3, 2016
LG G5
Thank you @Dimon909. I found time and trried it, too. Just freezes at boot screen (in this case the evo x boot logo) with strange colors at logon screen. Maybe something wrong with DATA. Recovery works afterwards, though. Maybe it's necessary to switch slots after restoring? Or before, but wouldn't make any sense, I guess.

Reactions: Dimon909

Dimon909

Dec 8, 2013
Maybe something wrong with DATA. Maybe it's necessary to switch slots after restoring?
Backup of data was made several times. There cant be errors.
If I saw that the system was installed at slot A, I installed backup in the same partition. If in B - switched to B. It did not help. Seems TWRP has not been completed. And i cant move, delete system fails (ex. any .apk in system_root/system/app). System is only read. Some protection installed ?
Maybe it's all because data is encryption?

DidierMoulin

Feb 3, 2016
LG G5
That's what I ment, some problems with restoring data (not because of wrong backup) but while restoring or booting, maybe because of encryption, like you said. though after I flashed the same rom or an update of it several times, both slots (a/b) should have contained the same decryption key, I guess.
I didn't pay attention to that, but if you switched to the right slot, then there's a different problem. Next time I'll check if it's slot related, by using both slots to restore, one after another and try to boot either.
What surprises me, is that twrp (or ofox) work with encryption and that I restored whitout changing encryption key on data (at least I think so, maybe even a new dirty rom flash does something?).

Dimon909

Dec 8, 2013
Screenshot_2022-10-15-22-25-30-244_com.opera.browser.beta_1_1_1.jpg

DidierMoulin

Feb 3, 2016
LG G5
Last edited:
Reactions: Dimon909

Top Liked Posts