[TWRP][perry] TWRP for Moto E4 (Qualcomm)

Search This thread

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
This is my version of TWRP built for the Qualcomm based 2017 Moto E4. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
  • My original green theme
  • No SuperSU
  • No TWRP app
  • No HTC Dumlock cruft
  • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is available on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
TWRP for Moto E4 Qualcomm (perry), Tool/Utility for the Moto E4

Contributors
squid2
Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_perry

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
Stable Release Date: 2018-08-17

Created 2017-08-12
Last Updated 2018-08-17

squid2

Recognized Developer
Mar 9, 2015
Ontario
First build released (3.1.1-r1)

I've made a TWRP build using a prebuilt kernel. It's new and not very well tested at the moment. Data encryption support might be broken at the moment, I haven't tested adequately.

Important - Please Read:
This device has dm-verity enabled in the kernel. If you mount system as writable, it will refuse to boot. Do not mount system as writable unless you plan to root your device in a manner that disables dm-verity! You can reformat your data partition as unencrypted with this if you'd like to simplify access for now. You can alternatively access data from an SD card.

I plan to make a better build later once I have kernel sources (and more time). Be aware that the stock kernel probably lacks the f2fs patches necessary to make SuperSU work correctly.

Also, please ignore the duplicate thread I made when trying to troubleshoot a problem with the DevDB download system. I've asked a moderator to delete the duplicate thread.

Last edited:

kartik verma

Dec 14, 2013
Hamirpur H.P
better to make one for all variants. This one only belongs to Qualcomm variant of Moto E4.
Atleast we have one for qualcomm variant ! Great job bro.

A

amarc78

Any idea if the option to backup/restore the oem partition can be added?

kartik verma

Dec 14, 2013
Hamirpur H.P
finally ported this qualcomm variant recovery to MOTO E4 Enternational variant SKU XT1760. The problem is i dont know what to do after flashing twrp recovery. Also it gives some strange mounting errors like this "error on mounting partition... mount /system not mounted, mount /cache cache not found".
i appreciate your work. would you like to help and shed some light on this ported one. I also took screenshots when in recovery mode, but can't find one in internal and external storage
Thanks in advance

Device - Moto E4
Variant - International
Version - XT1760

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

If it is a Qualcomm variant, yes. If it's a Mediatek variant, no.

look at my post below :D
and If it's a Mediatek variant, YES

Last edited:

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm having difficulty flashing TWRP. My E4 has the bootloader unlocked and rooted with phh's superuser. I can boot into TWRP (fastboot boot twrp.img), but I can't flash it. Any suggestions?

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
(bootloader) slot-count: not found
(bootloader) slot-suffixes: not found
(bootloader) has-slot:recovery: not found
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (13134 KB)...
OKAY [  0.486s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) Image not signed or corrupt
OKAY [  0.462s]
finished. total time: 0.952s

kartik verma

Dec 14, 2013
Hamirpur H.P
I'm having difficulty flashing TWRP. My E4 has the bootloader unlocked and rooted with phh's superuser. I can boot into TWRP (fastboot boot twrp.img), but I can't flash it. Any suggestions?

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
OKAY [  0.486s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.462s]
look at the error what it says, unsigned image file. do not root your device when you boot into twrp not actually flashed it completely in recovery partition. first flash recovery than root your device.

A

amarc78

Code:
OKAY [  0.486s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.462s]
I get that same error when flashing twrp also. With or without having it rooted first. It flashes fine for me though

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I guess I successfully flashed TWRP. ADB is acting weird on my computer after I installed LG drivers to unlock my LG G5 bootloader. ABD doesn't recognize my E4 in bootloader mode, but ADB recognizes the E4 when the system/OS is running. So I ADB flashed TWRP (fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) with the E4 on the Android homescreen.

I'm able to boot into TWRP by 2 methods:
  1. use a reboot app (reboot: system, recovery, bootloader, download, etc)
  2. start bootloader (Power + Vol Down buttons), then select Recovery Mode

Is that how it should be?

Is it important to set my system as r/w? How do I know if my system is set to r/w? I'm not familiar with the important of having TWRP read-only or r/w. On my other devices I just install TWRP and never mess with those settings. Will this affect my ability to backup, restore, and flash ZIPs? @KyleBryant 's thread instructs:
In twrp, go to wipe, format data and slide it, type yes this unencrypts the device. Now reboot the RECOVERY and set system as r/w.

Last edited:
A

amarc78

I guess I successfully flashed TWRP. ADB is acting weird on my computer after I installed LG drivers to unlock my LG G5 bootloader. ABD doesn't recognize my E4 in bootloader mode, but ADB recognizes the E4 when the system/OS is running. So I ADB flashed TWRP (fastboot flash recovery twrp.img) with the E4 on the Android homescreen.

I'm able to boot into TWRP by 2 methods:
  1. use a reboot app (reboot: system, recovery, bootloader, download, etc)
  2. start bootloader (Power + Vol Down buttons), then select Recovery Mode

Is that how it should be?

Is it important to set my system as r/w? How do I know if my system is set to r/w? I'm not familiar with the important of having TWRP read-only or r/w. On my other devices I just install TWRP and never mess with those settings. Will this affect my ability to backup, restore, and flash ZIPs? @KyleBryant 's thread instructs:
You should set it to r/w to make sure what you flash actually flashes right and makes all the expected changes. When you first installed twrp and booted to it the first time, it should have asked you to choose to keep it read only or mount r/w. If you didn't it should be read only still. Click on mount and you'll see a check box to mount system. If it says mount system partition read-only it is already mounted r/w.

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-08-17-11-20-15.jpg
    Capture+_2017-08-17-11-20-15.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 992

danr831

Aug 17, 2017
Moderator Edit:

Please avoid quoting the entire OP - it is NOT necessary and can cause issues with page load times when Mobile or on limited bandwidths.

How do I get this to work? I installed twrp but keeps saying my phone is not rooted... how do I enable the boot loader? Verizon prepaid xt1767

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: iykeDROID™

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my version of TWRP built for the Qualcomm based 2017 Moto E4. It should work fine, but using it is a try at your own risk procedure. Your bootloader must be unlocked to use this recovery. Fastboot mode is used to flash or boot this recovery. To enter fastboot mode, turn off your device, hold PWR and VolDn for 3 seconds, then let go.

Differences between upstream TWRP and my fork:
    • My original green theme
    • No SuperSU
    • No TWRP app
    • No HTC Dumlock cruft
    • Updated pigz compressor (slightly faster and more tolerant of corruption)

To temporarily boot this recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img

To permanently flash it:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The download is available on the downloads tab.

XDA:DevDB Information
    TWRP for Moto E4 Qualcomm (perry), Tool/Utility for the Moto E4

Contributors
    squid2
    Source Code: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_device_motorola_perry

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.2.3-r1
    Stable Release Date: 2018-08-17

Created 2017-08-12
    Last Updated 2018-08-17
    First build released (3.1.1-r1)

I've made a TWRP build using a prebuilt kernel. It's new and not very well tested at the moment. Data encryption support might be broken at the moment, I haven't tested adequately.

Important - Please Read:
    This device has dm-verity enabled in the kernel. If you mount system as writable, it will refuse to boot. Do not mount system as writable unless you plan to root your device in a manner that disables dm-verity! You can reformat your data partition as unencrypted with this if you'd like to simplify access for now. You can alternatively access data from an SD card.

I plan to make a better build later once I have kernel sources (and more time). Be aware that the stock kernel probably lacks the f2fs patches necessary to make SuperSU work correctly.

Also, please ignore the duplicate thread I made when trying to troubleshoot a problem with the DevDB download system. I've asked a moderator to delete the duplicate thread.
    Squid TWRP 3.2.3-r1

I've posted an updated build of my TWRP fork that has been rebased off the latest upstream version. This is a 64-bit TWRP. As usual, the download is on the downloads tab.
    Squid TWRP 3.1.1-r3 for Perry

I've posted a new TWRP build. It should fix dtb issues that some users encountered when trying to boot the recovery from internal storage (after flashing it). It also has miscellaneous upstream bug fixes, and I added untested experimental support for SD cards that are partitioned for partial adopted storage and partial removable storage. It should also improve support for Oreo based ROMs, which will be coming.

For those that downloaded the test build I posted earlier today: this is the same build, so there's no need to reinstall it.
    Squid TWRP 3.1.1-r2 for Perry

I've made a new build of TWRP with working encryption and a source built kernel. It's a bit smaller and cleaner too. I've also added a few F2FS patches, so SuperSU might work (I haven't tried it and certainly don't endorse it, this is just FYI). For those who want to see the kernel source I used, it's here: https://github.com/sultanqasim/android_kernel_motorola_msm8953

The download is up on the downloads tab. Next up will be LineageOS.