(Solved) TWRP Recovery mess

Search This thread

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
Hello XDA,

I flashed my Fire HD 8 (2018) from FireOS to LineageOS 17 using this guide ( https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-unlocked-karnak-lineage-17-1-17-july-2020.4134829/ ).

Installation went great, TWRP/LineageOS was working fine. Later as I began to setup the tablet I became unsatisfied with the ROM because the camera and proximity sensor were not working properly for me. I then decided it would be better to flash to a previous Lineage ROM to get better performace/support ( https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-testing-suez-lineage-16-0-05-july-2022.4232785/ )

At this point is when things went wrong. I tried to overwrite/upgrade TWRP from within TWRP using the IMG file posted in the LineageOS 16 guide with this method - https://www.droidwin.com/update-twrp-recovery-android/ (skip to step 4)

Now whenever I try to boot into Recovery Mode all I see is the Amazon Logo, I cannot get the tablet to boot into TWRP recovery. As bad as that is I can still boot into LineageOS 17 which is a relief. I've tried doing the fastboot recovery method but I get the message "FAILED (remote: 'the command you input is restricted on locked hw')"

At this point I'm stuck and reluctant to try too much more, but I'd still like to try the LineageOS 16 ROM.

Last edited:

Rortiz2

Hello XDA,

I flashed my Fire HD 8 (2018) from FireOS to LineageOS 17 using this guide ( https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-unlocked-karnak-lineage-17-1-17-july-2020.4134829/ ).

Installation went great, TWRP/LineageOS was working fine. Later as I began to setup the tablet I became unsatisfied with the ROM because the camera and proximity sensor were not working properly for me. I then decided it would be better to flash to a previous Lineage ROM to get better performace/support ( https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-testing-suez-lineage-16-0-05-july-2022.4232785/ )

At this point is when things went wrong. I tried to overwrite/upgrade TWRP from within TWRP using the IMG file posted in the LineageOS 16 guide with this method - https://www.droidwin.com/update-twrp-recovery-android/ (skip to step 4)

Now whenever I try to boot into Recovery Mode all I see is the Amazon Logo, I cannot get the tablet to boot into TWRP recovery. As bad as that is I can still boot into LineageOS 17 which is a relief. I've tried doing the fastboot recovery method but I get the message "FAILED (remote: 'the command you input is restricted on locked hw')"

At this point I'm stuck and reluctant to try too much more, but I'd still like to try the LineageOS 16 ROM.
If you're lucky enough you might be rooted. If you are, brick the PL header with ADB (make sure your tablet can access bootrom mode) and re-run amonet.​

Reactions: G4_PITA

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
If you're lucky enough you might be rooted. If you are, brick the PL header with ADB (make sure your tablet can access bootrom mode) and re-run amonet.​
Thank you for replying....Unfortunately it looks like I'm not rooted.

I installed the "Root Chcker" app through the Play Store and when I click "verify root" it says "Sorry! Root access is not properly installed on this device".

Any advice on how best to proceed?

Rortiz2

I installed the "Root Chcker" app through the Play Store and when I click "verify root" it says "Sorry! Root access is not properly installed on this device".

Well, it's possible that you have a root shell regardless of what the root checker reports. Try running adb root and see what it returns.​

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
Well, it's possible that you have a root shell regardless of what the root checker reports. Try running adb root and see what it returns.​
When I run the command "adb root" and command line spits out "adbd is already running as root". So it looks like I'm good here...

When you say 'bootrom mode' are you talking about fastboot? I'm still able enter into fastboot mode, thats when I get the error message listed in the 1st post.

When you say 'brick the PL header with ADB' do you mean to follow this guide? - https://xdaforums.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-fire-hd-8-2018-karnak-amonet-3.3963496/

Rortiz2

When I run the command "adb root" and command line spits out "adbd is already running as root". So it looks like I'm good here...

When you say 'bootrom mode' are you talking about fastboot? I'm still able enter into fastboot mode, thats when I get the error message listed in the 1st post.

When you say 'brick the PL header with ADB' do you mean to follow this guide? - https://xdaforums.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-fire-hd-8-2018-karnak-amonet-3.3963496/
bootrom is USBDL mode, the mode that is accessed when the PCB pins are shorted. Anyway, don't worry about that. Just run adb root and then ./fireos-step.sh from the thread you linked and you should be able to access TWRP again.​

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
bootrom is USBDL mode, the mode that is accessed when the PCB pins are shorted. Anyway, don't worry about that. Just run adb root and then ./fireos-step.sh from the thread you linked and you should be able to access TWRP again.​
After running 'adb root' it produces the same result as before, 'adbd is already running as root'.

When I run 'sudo ./fireos-step.sh', it then produces "functions.inc: line 39: dos2unix: command not found".

I can't find an immediate answer on how to handle this..

Rortiz2

After running 'adb root' it produces the same result as before, 'adbd is already running as root'.

When I run 'sudo ./fireos-step.sh', it then produces "functions.inc: line 39: dos2unix: command not found".

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo apt install python3 python3-serial adb fastboot dos2unix

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
Code:
sudo apt update
Thank you for the help, that worked.

I'm now having a different issue when running "./fireos-step.sh'". The result it produces is "This is only for the "karnak" - Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018 / 8th gen) - , your device is a "lineage_karnak".

I'm not sure where to find the correct file for "lineage_karnak".

Rortiz2

I'm now having a different issue when running "./fireos-step.sh'". The result it produces is "This is only for the "karnak" - Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018 / 8th gen) - , your device is a "lineage_karnak".

Open fireos-step.sh with a text editor and remove the following line:
Code:
check_device "karnak" " - Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018 / 8th gen) - "

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
Code:

I removed "check_device "karnak" " - Amazon Fire HD 8 (2018 / 8th gen) -"" from fireos-step.sh and now I'm getting a root access error shown below

Code:
Testing root access...
/system/bin/sh: su: inaccessible or not found

Trying to use mtk-su to get temp root...
No mtk-su found, you can get it here: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/experimental-software-root-hd-8-hd-10-t3904595

I then downloaded mtk-su and placed it into the working directory hoping it could find the file by itself but that didn't work unfortunately. I thought I had root access already, not sure why it's producing this error.

Last edited:

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018
Code:
So I removed the "get root" line from fireos-step.sh and it produces the following result -

Code:
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
PL version: 5 (5)
LK version: 1 (1)
TZ version: 258 (258)

Flashing PL
bin/preloader.bin: 1 file pushed. 4.5 MB/s (142928 bytes in 0.030s)
/system/bin/sh: su: inaccessible or not found

According to these results It looks I'm not rooted. If this is true why when I run 'adb root' it returns 'adbd is already running as root'?

Sus_i

Apr 9, 2013
ttt...still no solution. If anyone can offer some good advice I'd be greatful. Thanks
Two things you can do/try...

First one is to use the boot-fastboot script out of the amonet folder, in order to boot into hacked fastboot mode. Just run the boot-fastboot script with sudo and connect the tablet (powered off). Then run fastboot devices, if your device is there. If yes, you can run the fastboot-step if you like, which will flash the old TWRP image. Maybe thats enough to boot into TWRP.

In case that won't help, you can also use hacked fastboot to brick the preloader (like @Rortiz2 suggested), to get into bootrom mode, which will prevent you from open-up the tablet. Follow #2 from the unbrick thread, i.e. unbrick with shorting. You can also use the same guide and use the 'open-up the tablet' thing, to short the special point and re-run amonet from scratch. Good luck.

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018

First one is to use the boot-fastboot script out of the amonet folder, in order to boot into hacked fastboot mode. Just run the boot-fastboot script with sudo and connect the tablet (powered off). Then run fastboot devices, if your device is there. If yes, you can run the fastboot-step if you like, which will flash the old TWRP image. Maybe thats enough to boot into TWRP.

In case that won't help, you can also use hacked fastboot to brick the preloader (like @Rortiz2 suggested), to get into bootrom mode, which will prevent you from open-up the tablet. Follow #2 from the unbrick thread, i.e. unbrick with shorting. You can also use the same guide and use the 'open-up the tablet' thing, to short the special point and re-run amonet from scratch. Good luck.
Thanks for your help, when I get a chance I'll try this and report the results.

G4_PITA

Feb 10, 2018

Finally got TWRP back!! The solution was so intuitive I feel ridiculous for not trying it first.

So I took the advice of Sus_i and ran the two files out of the karnak's amonet folder; bootrom-step.sh & fastboot-step.sh. This is exactly what I did initially to root the tablet and install LineageOS in the first place!! I posted a link to the solution in the first post of this thread!! For anyone wanting more info on the steps I took there's a video tutorial which shows what's required to get TWRP working again -

This video tutorial also shows how to install LineageOS onto a Fire HD 8 Tablet. I overwrote LineageOS 17 with LineageOS 16 Karnak. The camera is working in this version of Lineage but the proximity sensor is still lacking.

A big THANK YOU to users - Sus_i & Rortiz2 for helping me out, I'm very thankful for your knowledge and generosity.

Reactions: Sus_i

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA,

Code:
    sudo apt update

Code: