[TWRP][RECOVERY][PIE] TWRP 3.3.1-0+ for the LG G7 ThinQ

LameMonster82

Apr 15, 2017
localhost

TWRP 3.3.1-0+ for the LG G7 ThinQ

**WARRANTY VOIDED***
I am not and neither is TWRP Team responsible for any damages you or someone does using this software or hardware.
That includes phone bricking, levitation, world war 3 etc.

Warning: This TWRP Recovery is only useful for installing custom ROMs.
Currently there's no way to use this recovery on stock in any meaningful way without future addons ;)
(Data partition cannot be read because of LG default encryption)

You cannot install or backup anything while you have LG Encryption enabled. A future addon can disable it.

<-- Requirements
  • An Bootloader unlocked LG G7 ThinQ by any means. (official or unofficial) (G710TM Models are impossible to be supported, sorry)
    More information on officially unlocking the LG G7 here: https://developer.lge.com/resource/mobile/RetrieveBootloader.dev
  • Running minimum LG Stock Android 9 Pie (AOSP GSI does not count)
  • A PC and ADB + Fastboot
  • The temper to read twice

<-- Needed files​

<-- Installation​
Step 1: Enter Fastboot mode
  • Connect your phone to your PC with a USB Cable
  • Restart the phone
  • While the phone is restarting hold Volume down button.
    Note: Make sure you hold Volume down button before you see the black and white "LG G7 ThinQ" text
    If you see the red LG Logo you either messed up or you don't have access to fastboot mode witch is another problem i can't solve easily.
  • If done correctly you should be in Fastboot now :)

Step 2: Install the boot image
  • Open the command prompt or your terminal (depending on what PC Platform you are)
  • Type:
Code:
fastboot boot [B][TWRP Boot image location][/B]
Note: This TWRP is only temporarily (it does not overwrite the bootimage). When you reboot it will dissapear and you will need to redo the fastboot command.

You're done. Now you can use TWRP to install custom ROMs
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legacy tutorial. Do not use unless you use TWRP older than Feb 2020.

Code:
[SIZE="5"][B][I][CENTER]<-- Needed files[/CENTER][/I][/B][/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]You only need this boot image: 
[url]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n2wKdwARddx_KCIdLi10KawY_THlcRi4[/url]
[*]For developers who want to build their own TWRP Boot image here's the device-tree for it
[url]https://github.com/LameMonster82/android_device_lge_judyln-twrp[/url]
[/LIST]

[SIZE="5"][B][I][CENTER]<-- Installation[/CENTER][/I][/B][/SIZE]
[QUOTE][SIZE="3"][B]Step 1: Enter Fastboot mode[/B][/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]Connect your phone to your PC with a USB Cable
[*]Restart the phone
[*]While the phone is restarting hold Volume down button.
[B]Note[/B]: Make sure you hold Volume down button before you see the [U][B]black and white[/B][/U] "LG G7 ThinQ" text
If you see the red LG Logo you either messed up or you don't have access to fastboot mode witch is another problem i can't solve easily.
[*]If done correctly you should be in Fastboot now :)
[/LIST]

[SIZE="3"][B]Step 2: Install the boot image[/B][/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]Open the command prompt or your terminal (depending on what PC Platform you are)
[*]Type:
[/LIST]
[CODE]fastboot flash boot_a [B][TWRP Boot image location] --set-active=a[/B]
The best way you can set the TWRP Boot image location is to manually "drag and drop" the file itself in your command prompt
Also make sure you "drag and drop" the TWRP Boot image before you type --set=active=a
Don't forget --set-active=a has 2 little lines at the beginning. No space between them.

Step 3: Enter Recovery mode
  • Restart the phone (using power button if you're still in fastboot)
  • Before the phone turns off hold Volume down and power button
  • The moment you see the black and white "LG G7 ThinQ" Text start clicking the power button as much as you can without letting the Volume down button.
    If done correctly you should see a white screen with "Factory reset" text on top.
    If you done step 2 correctly clicking yes on both prompts on the phone will get you to TWRP

For people who still have trouble getting into recovery mode here's a visual example of how to enter recovery mode (youtube) https://youtu.be/_0yoFEvIods
    Note: You don't have to be in system. Rebooting from bootloader will still work
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations you now have TWRP Recovery on your LG G7 ThinQ :highfive:[/CODE]​

Join our Telegram Group here:
>> t.me/lgg7thinqmain <<

I would like to thank:

Here be dragons!

Last edited:

loonycgb2

Sep 3, 2010
Nope. The problem is there are no blobs to use. Yeah keymaster is there but keystore module is missing from the vendor and the system. The closest thing I found was lgkm module that looks like a proprietary keystore module for lg
My G7 is not bootloader unlocked so cant really help with dev, but any reason it wouldnt use the same same as the v30?

dode417

Nov 25, 2018
according to the page you linked regarding the bootloader unlocking process, only the LMG710EM is supported... have you successfully done this with any other model?

sam_217

May 1, 2011
Hello, I am not very educated about this as I would like...
Is this recovery "persistent"? Why it is not possible to use this recovery to flash/root magisk on stock roms?
Thank you.

louie_yo

Apr 21, 2011
is it needed for magisk?

hello,

stock LG Pie (v20c) with bootloader unlocked. do i need to install this (TWRP) in order to root it with the magisk file from your drive, or will it work without?

(sorry for the noob/stupid/uninitiated/etc question, i'm really new at this)

Halogen_03

Sep 29, 2019
How strict is the Android Pie requirement before installing TWRP?

I have a G710VM that I'm trying to get LineageOS onto. I've already gotten the bootloader unlocked, but it seems like, so far, I can only get bootloader access by using the ULM 8.0 ROM (ULM11g). If I try the European 9.0 (EM20b) or ULM 9.0 (ULM20d) ROMs, I lose bootloader and fastboot access.

Also, is this TWRP a persistent TWRP, or semi- or non-persistent.

I also apologize in advance if I use the wrong terminology or make the wrong assumptions as this is my first attempt at unlocking a phone and putting a custom OS on it.