I found this version of TWRP on the official Chinese Lenovo forum (original thread). The Lenovo P8 was originally released in the Chinese market, but there is now a version with an English stock ROM and full Play Store access being sold online.
The instructions I have written also work for the 4G model (TB-8703X) but you will be using a different version of TWRP (see below).
This method installs TWRP and SuperSU without unlocking the bootloader. As such, there are some risks involved. Pay special attention to the steps labeled ''IMPORTANT'' to prevent a bootloop from occurring.
1) Install QPST and the Qualcomm USB driver from the above links. Also extract the TWRP archive specific to your model number
2) Run QFIL (part of the QPST package), and select the build type ''Flat Build''
3) Next to ''Select Programmer'' click ''browse'' and select prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn (located in your TWRP folder)
4) Next to ''Select Build'' click ''Load XML'' and select rawprogram0.xml and then select patch0.xml (both located in your TWRP folder)
5) Turn your device off. Then, press and hold the volume up button and connect your device to your PC via the USB cable
6) QFIL should detect your device in 9008 mode (''Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008'' will appear at the top)
7) Click the blue ''Download'' button
8) IMPORTANT - once it has finished downloading, disconnect the device and enter TWRP by holding the volume up and power button together (it should vibrate just before loading into TWRP)
9) You will notice that TWRP is in Chinese, but we will now change the language to English. Slide the slider at the bottom all the way to the right, and click the grey button that is second to last in the right column (see here). Then, click the white globle icon at the top right (see here), and set the language to English (see here)
10) IMPORTANT - Press ''Advanced'' and then ''RM Forceencrypt''. Swipe to confirm. Now reboot into system (do not install SuperSU just yet).
11) Once it successfully boots into Android, power down the device again and enter TWRP (hold volume up + power button together)
12) Press ''Advanced'' and then ''Install SU'. Swipe to install.
13) IMPORTANT - after SU successfully installs, go back to the main menu, click ''Advanced'' and then ''RM Forceencrypt''. Swipe to confirm.
14) Reboot into system and your device should now be rooted
Findings: I encountered a small issue with AdAway not loading initially. This was easily fixed by going into the SuperSU app and changing the setting ''Default access'' to ''grant''. After you successfully load AdAway and see the ''grant permissions'' popup, you can revert the setting back to ''Prompt'' in SuperSU.
After Rooting device we can few things (no custom roms there,no developing)...
for example, we can open MultiWindow, themes,emoji changer(android O) & some build.prop tweaks (for the better operation of the device)
_How to Enable Multi-Window : open buildprop line & change the value of build type from user to userdebug & Reboot device... (In developer options will see a new choise : Multi-window mode) ≥ see the second screenshot..
__Enable multiwindow mode with two ways: using an app from playstore very easy,(build.prop editor,Root Essentials etc) or using adb & pc : https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-enable-multi-window-mode-android-t3121483
_ build prop tweaks_ [ Make sure that you take a complete backup of your rom using twrp ! ] & backup your currently buildprop settings....
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 (Force launcher into memory)
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100 (for JPEGs higher quality)
ro.config.hw_fast_dormancy=1 (Better signal)
ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true (Faster boot)
debug.performance.tuning=1 (Increases touch responsiveness)
ro.config.nocheckin=1 (this disables sending of usage data)
debug.sf.nobootanimation=1 (this disables boot animation for faster boot time but maybe has a risk sometimes)
(*) = less video buffering on streaming services & videos streaming faster
(build.prop tweaks for battery life - reduced battery consumption)
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180 (This conserves battery life but may come with side effects as wifi points not showing up as fast)
ro.mot.eri.losalert.delay = 1000
[for Better RAM management(& better work of Launcher), faster & better streaming videos, better signal, faster boot, tweaks for improved performance & disables sending of usage data(for example to Lenovo!)]
__ from Root Essentials buildprop, the backup is mandatory....From other app, (buildprop editor etc) we get backup the current buildprop settings before all this!! because all these have a risks! (maybe bootloop)
__ [ if you do not know how to bring back your device in stock,stay away! ] > How to flash Stock Rom Lenovo P8 - 8703F(wifi) - Unbrick Via QFIL : https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...w-to-flash-t3720621/post74870431#post74870431 ]
I am willing to make a donation for someone to get us a stable custom rom. I know it sounds simple and it's gonna need continuous bug fixes but we have a nice quadrupled tablet. Do you guys think we should give it a try?
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TWRP BACKUP of BOOT, DATA and SYSTEM first!!!
Follow this step by step!!!
- go into TWRP
- backup DATA, SYSTEM and BOOT
- Advance wipe DATA and CACHE (Not Format Data)
- install lineage.zip
- install adreno patch if you have wifi version!
- Install SuperSu (if you want it)
- Apply RM Forceencrypt if it asks for password after reboot!
Big thanks to HighwayStar from 4pda.
ps: he will create new thread for this ROM on XDA soon. Don't post in this thread please.
Respect the OP. Thanks.