• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

TWRP + Root Nougat Huawei P9

Search This thread

benjamen50

Dec 11, 2013
Melbourne
www.mtwo.com.au
The recovery is separate from the firmware. So I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Root on the other hand I wouldn't know but I suppose the SuperSU beta zip file flashed with custom recovery would get the phone rooted.

If it was a kernel being flashed then that would matter as it affects the firmware (as it replaces the stock kernel).

FedoraMan

Sep 6, 2016
Almere
Yep. You can install a custom recovery, even if you accidentally wipe your system, the custom recovery will still be there. (I have experience) I think that, if you can find the right supersu zip file for your phone, you should be able to root your phone.

Wertamo

Sep 24, 2016
Yep. You can install a custom recovery, even if you accidentally wipe your system, the custom recovery will still be there. (I have experience) I think that, if you can find the right supersu zip file for your phone, you should be able to root your phone.

I tried to install the custom recovery using adb, however my phone can't be detected ?

FedoraMan

Sep 6, 2016
Almere
Did you install with with fastboot? or from within the phone? Because you have to reboot to recovery pretty much right after flashing it. Try re-flashing twrp from inside the phone with flashify, then reboot to it immediately afterwards. (Get the 3.0.2-0 (or higher) version for your phone)

Wertamo

Sep 24, 2016
Did you install with with fastboot? or from within the phone? Because you have to reboot to recovery pretty much right after flashing it. Try re-flashing twrp from inside the phone with flashify, then reboot to it immediately afterwards. (Get the 3.0.2-0 (or higher) version for your phone)

Yes installed with fastboot, I manually booted into recovery (volume up + power button) right after flashing it. I thought flashify requires root ??

Wertamo

Sep 24, 2016
Wait, you updated to 7.0 without root? Did you use the normal updater? Because if so, try finding a way to downgrade again. Maybe that will work

Yeah, I just flashed the update using the dload method. The main reason I want to install TWRP is so i can downgrade. I've tried using the dload method to downgrade however it doesn't work.

Gus194

Jun 10, 2012
Same problem here, I installed a leaked Nougat beta for the Honor 8 via TWRP and when I tried to get back to TWRP it wouldn't let me. I've tried to flash it again via fastboot but I can't boot into it :/

Last edited:

illusiongod

Apr 6, 2012
I have this problem too after Flashing Nougat.
I have already flashed twrp recovery via fastboot, installation complete. But I cant boot into recovery mode.

FedoraMan

Sep 6, 2016
Almere
I have never had this kind of problem before. If you tried a cold boot (Hold volume up + power), try typing "adb reboot recovery" instead (or the other way around, if you've done that)