• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[TWRP][Z5] TWRP 3.2.3 for Xperia Z5, Z5C and Z3+

Search This thread

4Strings

May 28, 2014
Denver
HTC One (m7)
Sony Xperia Z5
Never mind. Got it working. I had to reflash stock Nougat (instead of Lollipop, which I downgraded to in order to backup my TA partition). Once I was back on 7.1.1, I fastboot flashed TWRP 3.2.1 and booted into recovery without issue. Installed LineageOS and everything is running as it should.

SysGhost

Jul 8, 2010
Stockholm
OnePlus 6
I'm having issues installing TWRP 3.2.1 on my Z5. I've unlocked my BL, booted into flashtool, flashed recovery "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img", shut down the phone and restarted it while holding down the Vol- button... But for some reason, it always boots into the OS, not TWRP... Am I missing something?

(Answering anyway for others)
Xperia series doesn't have any recovery partition. Instead, the FOTAKernel partition is used. So the command is updated accordingly:
Code:
fastboot flash FOTAKernel recovery.img

lindsche

Nov 14, 2005
@GreyLeshy Is your decision mainly driven by priority, time and testing impact or are there outstanding issues to solve before I would be able to activate and compile your source tree myself?

Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and dedication as to all devs here on xda.

@GreyLeshy: i'm also wondering if there will be any decryption functionality in the future. do you have any plans to implement this and could i support you in any way? what are the main barriers for an implementation? (it would be maybe already great if you could direct my in the right direction on what would be a next step for an implementation!)

thanks for your greaet work on the recovery, i hope we'll be able to keep our z5's still alive for some more time :)

The Lepricon

Apr 29, 2008
I just bought a Z5 Compact, running Android 5.1.1
I unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP recovery. But, I cannot boot into recovery. Followed the directions (Power button + Vol Down, after vibrate release Power button and keep holding Vol down) but it just boots normally into Android.

What am I doing wrong?

trax7

May 15, 2012
I just bought a Z5 Compact, running Android 5.1.1
I unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP recovery. But, I cannot boot into recovery. Followed the directions (Power button + Vol Down, after vibrate release Power button and keep holding Vol down) but it just boots normally into Android.

What am I doing wrong?
Flash a custom kernel.

Nazo

Jan 7, 2008
I've had problems with multiple Z5Cs until I flashed to the latest with Emma. In particular the modem really really needs to be updated. The old (sadly now broken) one shipped with a low system version on it, but the new one came with 7.1.1 and I allowed it to do automatic updates and despite this I still had to manually flash to get any service at all. (It's all world-wide GSM standards, so I really don't understand what is going on with that.) I forgot what they were, but I had problems with a few other things on the old one before I did that (with this one I didn't even bother going to a third party ROM until thoroughly testing the hardware via stock, just in case.)

Anyway, thanks very much to the author for maintaining a TWRP for the Z5C. May I ask: why isn't this in the official TWRP system? I'm planning to hold onto this phone for quite a while if at all physically possible and it would be nice if it had autobuilds as everyone surely abandons it for at least the basic improvements and security updates (up until the point it can no longer autobuild due to major changes anyway.) I am coming from a Z3C (which super-ironically is the exact opposite -- no official LineageOS build, but official TWRP builds) and have seen firsthand what happens when there is no official support (though thankfully some nice people are doing autobuilds of unofficial ports. A few bugs creep in along the way though sadly.)

It may not be a big deal -- after all, it kind of looks like LineageOS has abandoned it and is down to autobuilds now anyway (so likely no v15 support) so I suspect the likelihood of actually requiring a newer TWRP than the current isn't all that high anyway, but I am at least curious. I'm mostly just hoping I can keep maintaining the most basic of security patches (though hopefully we won't be seeing another Qualcomm or Stagefright style issue -- fingers crossed!) so it likely won't matter a lot. I realize that as a general rule of thumb the smartphone market considers anything more than ~2 years to be horrendously old (for the record everything runs smooth and snappy on this thing still if you don't bog the OS down with tons of bloat!)

dottnick

Mar 21, 2011
Please, i'm desperate, could someone help me?
I have a Sony Xperia Z3+ (single sim) with the latest Stock Nougat 7.1.1 Rom (32.4.A.1.54), unlocked bootloader, i'm tryign to flash this recovery multiple times with multiple methods, nothing seems to work...
i've flashed the *.img with
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
turned off then turned on with "pwr + vol+" pressed and nothing shows up,
then i've tried with
turned off then turned on with "pwr + vol-" pressed and nothing shows up,
I've tried to flash the recovery, as i read inanother thread, on the boot partition and then i've obtained black screen, fortunately i was capable to boot in flashmode and restore to the stock rom...

Nothing seems to work, what i can do?

plusminus_

Please, i'm desperate, could someone help me?
I have a Sony Xperia Z3+ (single sim) with the latest Stock Nougat 7.1.1 Rom (32.4.A.1.54), unlocked bootloader, i'm tryign to flash this recovery multiple times with multiple methods, nothing seems to work...
i've flashed the *.img with
turned off then turned on with "pwr + vol+" pressed and nothing shows up,
then i've tried with
turned off then turned on with "pwr + vol-" pressed and nothing shows up,
I've tried to flash the recovery, as i read inanother thread, on the boot partition and then i've obtained black screen, fortunately i was capable to boot in flashmode and restore to the stock rom...

Nothing seems to work, what i can do?
Is your bootloader already unlocked?

It may be worth trying a different or older recovery, such as one of these:
  1. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-3-2-3-unofficial-for-z3-z4.3876389/post-78555189
  2. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...h-full-encryption-support-2018-03-04.3564016/

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
It seems that it is different on Z5. All worked normally on my Z1 compact.

Anyway, I installed the recovery but when I try to boot into recovery mode it just goes back to the O/S.

Can someone please list the steps that you used on Z5C or Z5 should be the same that worked for you?

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
I tried some of the suggestions above but did not work for me. I used Emma to flash the device a few months ago because I have dead zone on the touch screen and wanted to see if it would solve it but it did not and it changed the O/S from 7 to Lollipop, I tried it again yesterday and it did the same thing.

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
I found Android 7 ROM for my device and flashed the ROM VIA the Sony mobile flash tool and I have Nougat now but It still does not work when I flash the new recovery.

I tested with reset to factory and it loaded the Android recover and not TWRP. I also tried the FOTAKernel command. All show that they are working but it is not working.

So the flashing is failing somewhere.

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
The Sony Flashtool has an option to flash the TWRP recovery and it worked.

It did not work from ADB but it did from the other Sony Flash tools.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
This is a full update about the progress. The goal was to install custom rom and to Root it and I managed to install Android 11 and root it with Magidsk.

The TWRP from this thread was not able to see my SD card. So I tried a few others until I found one that worked well.

There is one issue and it was that once I install the TWRP using the "Sony mobile flash tool by Androxyde" then the phone won't boot into the system anymore and have to install a custom ROM. Then After installing a Custom ROM I can't access the recovery anymore. So it is an either or situation.

This is good enough for my needs but I will try one more thing and that is to install a custom kernel to see if it will keep the TWRP recovery as well and I will update here.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

Johncoool

May 9, 2020
I found 7 custom kernels for this device but all of them gave the same result. The TWRP does not get deleted but the flashed firmware gets stuck on the boot logo of the ROM.

Will try other ROMs to see if it would be any different but U doubt it because it worked without the custom Kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project
    for Sony Xperia Z5 (Sumire), Xperia Z5 Compact (Suzuran), Xperia Z3+ (Ivy)

REQUIREMENT:
    - Unlocked bootloader
    FEATURES:
    - MTP support
    - USB OTG storage support
    - Covers most partitions for nandroid backups
    - ADB root
    Not working:
    - Decryption

Download: Dropbox

Installation via the bootloader (Platform-tools (adb & fastboot))
    Code:
    Running TWRP:
    - Turn your device off, wait 5 seconds.
    - At the same time, press the Power button and Volume down until your device vibrates.
    - Quickly release the Power button, but keep pressing Volume down.
    - When you see the screen shown in the image below, release Volume down. You have now successfully entered recovery mode.

LhQOv9P.png

Last Updated: 19-03-2019: TWRP 3.2.3

DISCLAIMER:
    Nobody bears responsibility for any damage caused to your device except you.

Source(new): kitakami
    TWRP site
    Update TWRP to 3.2.3 for Z5c.
    Updated TWRP for Z5 to version 3.2.1.
    Added source code for Z5.
    Tested on Z5 compact and phone goes in boot loop with Sony logo
    To start, Turn off the phone, wait for 5 seconds, then hold down the power key and the volume down key as soon as the device starts on, release the keys and wait for the launch of the recovery, everything.
    So you run a recovery?
    You flash a recovery Suzuran?
    Recovery updated, added the latest fixes.