U696CL Old Thread - Android won't show up as USB device on VirtualBox after putting phone in ADB/EDL mode?

Search This thread

Renate

Inactive Recognized Dev / Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Yeah, I missed something there. I was just going to tell you not to bother.
You mean like the bootloader screen, right, not really a recovery screen? It doesn't say Recovery 123.456?

The original recoverytest.img is totally half-baked. It's missing init. I wasn't quite sure if there was a copy in system or what was happening.
I put in all the symlinks that were in the stock recovery.

What's your complaint with the stock recovery? That it doesn't have ADB? We can fix that easier than beating our heads against the TWRP.

gregeerg

May 12, 2022
Yeah, I missed something there. I was just going to tell you not to bother.
You mean like the bootloader screen, right, not really a recovery screen? It doesn't say Recovery 123.456?

The original recoverytest.img is totally half-baked. It's missing init. I wasn't quite sure if there was a copy in system or what was happening.
I put in all the symlinks that were in the stock recovery.

What's your complaint with the stock recovery? That it doesn't have ADB? We can fix that easier than beating our heads against the TWRP.
I can access adb. I just want to put TWRP on it and figure out why non-stock keeps being overwritten. Currently cannot get the super.img extracted at all with anything. Using dynamic but not A/B.

Last edited:

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Yes, I know that you have ADB when the regular system is booted. But does the stock recovery give you that? What is it about TWRP that you want/need?

Me, I just need rooted ADB in recovery. If I have that, I don't need anything more. I can do my updates or whatever.

You really need to hook up a console UART so that you can see what you're doing. Without that you're flying blind.

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
As I said, there's a bunch of stuff that I've never run into before, the Android Type 2, dynamic partitions. That's one of the reasons I like mixing it up with stuff like this; I might learn something.

The TWRP that you're using is missing init, linker, sh, recovery, basically everything needed to be functional.
Edit: Oh, @PizzaG I hadn't realized that this was your build.

I know this phone is MSM8937...
The EDL HWID tells us that this is a "QM215". Despite hints otherwise, it is no MSM8937.
I learned something here too. I never knew about multiple DTBs in one file.
The stock system, recovery and the TWRP all have DTBs for 8 models! What wackiness.
And the silly things are unaligned even. Sheesh, there was a patch for that in 2016.
Code:
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. MSM8953 + PMI632 SOC
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. MSM8953 + PMI632 SOC
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. QCM2150
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. QM215
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. SDA429 CDP
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. SDA439
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. SDM429 MTP
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. SDM439 MTP
Not that it's that big a deal, but you could cut down the size of the DTB from 2,235,141 bytes to 222,705 bytes.

Edit: The screen resolution is 480 x 960? That's incredibly cheesy. My $35 phone is 720 x 1440.

Last edited:
Reactions: aIecxs

Renate

Feb 3, 2012
Boston
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Well, here's a shot in the dark, a proof of concept (or not). It's a custom recovery.
If it works you should get a white screen, hopefully with text, but I'll accept diagonal whizzes.
If you are lucky you might have ADB on 18d1/4ee7

You can try it fastboot boot or fastboot flash.

Attachments

• custom0.img
    21.3 MB · Views: 18

gregeerg

May 12, 2022
Well, here's a shot in the dark, a proof of concept (or not). It's a custom recovery.
If it works you should get a white screen, hopefully with text, but I'll accept diagonal whizzes.
If you are lucky you might have ADB on 18d1/4ee7

You can try it fastboot boot or fastboot flash.
Will this allow TWRP? I'm not sure what "18d1/4ee7" is or means.
Regardless, it seems when I hold power+volume up to enter recovery, I just get a blank black screen.

Last edited:

gregeerg

May 12, 2022
This stuff is too tough tedious to do by remote control without even an operating console.
Sure is, haha.
Any idea why my phone keeps rebooting and then going into recovery?
All I did was have LineageOS19 on it and set up, then I went to recovery and wiped phone, then flashed LOS18 back on it as well as stock recovery.img to be safe, and now I can't get it to boot into LOS18. Just UMX boot logo then resets then goes into recovery green robot logo screen.

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
Sent you the files that we pulled.
sorry but the files pulled are just garbage. you probably did from windows, right? please remember exec-out is only working from linux. I did not find a way to pull files from windows, yet. please upload to mediafire it's free. also please provide checksums

Code:
phhgsi_a64_ab:/ # sha256sum /dev/block/*/*/*/by-name/*

gregeerg

May 12, 2022
sorry but the files pulled are just garbage. you probably did from windows, right? please remember exec-out is only working from linux. I did not find a way to pull files from windows, yet. please upload to mediafire it's free. also please provide checksums

Code:
phhgsi_a64_ab:/ # sha256sum /dev/block/*/*/*/by-name/*
I did it from Linux

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
then adb exec-out is probably not working in general. do you have access to MicroSD Card meanwhile?

then create some directory on it and make dumps in there (where 0815-4711 is the UUID of my SD Card, yours is different!)

Code:
phhgsi_a64_ab:/ # cd /storage/????-????
phhgsi_a64_ab:/storage/0815-4711 # mkdir u696cl
phhgsi_a64_ab:/storage/0815-4711 # cd u696cl
phhgsi_a64_ab:/storage/0815-4711/u696cl # for b in $(ls /dev/block/*/*/*/by-name/!(userdata)); do dd if=$b of=${b##*/}; done
phhgsi_a64_ab:/storage/0815-4711/u696cl # sha256sum /dev/block/*/*/*/by-name/* | tee sha2.txt

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: See the unofficial thread I made that has to do with the U696CL root and where we are:

Been trying to figure this out for 5-6hrs now. My Linux VM on my Windows 10 PC detects my phone when plugged into my PC. Great. What I cannot figure out is how to get the phone to still show up when I re-boot it into EDL/ADB mode. It simply doesn't show up in my VM *nor* my PC. But when it's booted normally, it shows just fine on both. PLEASE help. For reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/umx-u693cl-assurant-wireless.4085149/post-86882085
    all it needs is linux and working method to enter EDL mode.

I recommend to boot Xubuntu 20.04 LTS from pendrive and create a backup straight from pure linux instead (no more issues with vm usb passthrough)

extract UMX-U693CL-FireHose_Programmer.mbn from UMX_U693CL-A-Team-Root_Recovery_Package.zip and see if it works for your device.

device must listed as QDLoader 9008 mode in lsusb

Code:
    edl --loader='/path/to/UMX-U693CL-FireHose_Programmer.mbn' rl dumps

(run sudo apt update once then follow install instructions as descripted here)
    https://github.com/bkerler/edl
    Factory Loader = Firehose programmer. the Loaders repo is a collection for other devices. "Install EDL Loaders" is for adding own firehose file to collection. you don't need this. just add the --loader flag to each command pointing to your own loader.

"Device is in Sahara error state, please reboot device" is most likely caused by timeout. some devices only accept initiation during first 30 sec

Wait, add —loader to what commands?
    EDIT: ok, I went into EDL mode again and very quickly ran the initial command you gave. It says “Firehose mode detected, uploading…” and is sitting there currently. Not sure how long that’s supposed to take but it’s been a good 18mins. I ran adb devices and phone isn’t showing there at the moment
    .bin .mbn .elf file whatever name it has is irrelevant as it will be renamed. dirname doesn't matter you can name it tmp, newstuff, examples just put your file(s) somewhere.

usage is (where ~/tmp is any directory with your own files and Loaders is existing target dir inside edl)
    Code:
    cd edl
    git submodule update --init --recursive
    fhloaderparse ~/tmp Loaders

your linux is live distro from pendrive? you don't need this as you have to re-install everything on each boot anyway, its temporary linux like DVD so it's pointless.
    the only command needed is that from post #2 it's fine to test loaders. it seems like the loader is crashing your phone...
    I installed Xubuntu with my Windows so I can boot into either.
    So my commands in Terminal would look like this then if the Programmer you linked that I downloaded is at the newstuff folder?:
    Code:
    cd edl
    git submodule update --init --recursive
    fhloaderparse /home/name/edl/newstuff/ Loaders

Because running that doesn't have seemed to change anything? Still empty folders.
    you could also request user release source code in compliance to GPL. You can probably pick up in person between 9-5 in Shenzhen office :p