Chippa_a

Recognized Developer
Oct 10, 2015
Feb 23, 2017
i have encountered error 7 when flash zip file, twrp 3.3.1-0 does this error
view

MichaBit

May 6, 2015
Unofficial (development) version of TWRP 3.4.0 is available.
It would be nice if someone would test and see if there are any regressions or improvements compared to the current official version.

After flashing via 3.3.1-0, there is no longer any recovery and no boot to twrp possible.

Edit: I have to correct::
twrp-3.4.0-0 can only be reached via Power and Vol- buttons, not as usual via the Power- or Reboot-menu.
What strikes me: 3.4 less bright.

Attachments

• twrp-3.4.jpeg
    twrp-3.4.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Chippa_a

Recognized Developer
Oct 10, 2015
I'm really interested in how you guys do it...

I just checked the update from 3.3.1-0 (official) to 3.4.0-0 (unofficial) three times:
1) flash image via recovery -> success
2) flash image via fastboot -> success
3) flash zip via recovery -> success

Boot into recovery:
1) reboot from ROM to recovery -> success
2) boot to recovery with Power and Vol- buttons at the same time (which was so from the first version and stated in OP) -> success

Brightness is adjustable.

yns_rdm

Jul 21, 2017
Everything working really good for me (like reboot to recovery, brightness, etc.). I flashed zip (v3.4) with old twrp (v3.3.1).

Edit: Flashed Lineage 16 again. Go into twrp and doing full wipe. Than flashed Lineage and error 7. Reboot recovery again and i want to check again that with full wipe. Same result.
My solution: Full wipe first than reboot recovery flash rom without wipe.

Last edited:

MichaBit

May 6, 2015
Version 3.4.0-1 (20200612).

Error 7 I did not have with 3.4.0-0.
The brightness is now constant and everything seems normal.

But, as before, I can only use the button combination to get in recovery.
From rom or twrp the device tries to boot into recovery, there is a screen failure for a very short moment, after that it boots to Android.

Does aLogcat log the boot process?

Last edited:

Karthik.V.M

Jun 2, 2020
'Unsupported/Unknown image format' error when installing Magisk on Xperia X with TWRP

Hi,

I am trying to install Magisk on Xperia X(Suzu) running Stock Android (8.0) using latest TWRP 3.3.1 and I hit the error ''Unsupported/Unknown image format'. These are the logs I see:

- Device platform: arm64-v8a
- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
! Unsupported/Unknown image format
! Installation failed

Also, I would like to share that I did not allow TWRP to modify the system partition. I opted to keep the system partition 'Read Only'. The reason I did this is that whenever I allow TWRP to modify the system partition, I get stuck at the SONY boot logo and my phone would not boot and I need to reflash the stock ROM again.

Any pointers to solve this issue is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Karthik

Hi,

I am trying to install Magisk on Xperia X(Suzu) running Stock Android (8.0) using latest TWRP 3.3.1 and I hit the error ''Unsupported/Unknown image format'. These are the logs I see:

- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
! Installation failed

Also, I would like to share that I did not allow TWRP to modify the system partition. I opted to keep the system partition 'Read Only'. The reason I did this is that whenever I allow TWRP to modify the system partition, I get stuck at the SONY boot logo and my phone would not boot and I need to reflash the stock ROM again.

Thanks,
Karthik
If you haven't unlock your bootloader it's normal that modifying system partition bootloop your phone. Also magisk change the boot IMG and I don't think it's possible to use if system partition is read only (but I'm not sure about it, you should ask in the magisks thread or make a new one tho because I don't think is a twrp issue)

Reactions: Karthik.V.M

yns_rdm

Jul 21, 2017
Hi,

- Copying image to cache
- Unpacking boot image
! Installation failed

Thanks,
Karthik

It looks like problem from boot image. If you want to use magisk you need to flash rootable image first. And you can find it in the xda forum (i found under Guides News Discussions topic). First flash rootable boot than flash magisk. (+ When i flashed stock rootable kernel and magisk, it stay on bootloop. Solution was flash drm restoration.)

Last edited:

Karthik.V.M

Jun 2, 2020
It looks like problem from boot image. If you want to use magisk you need to flash rootable image first. And you can find it in the xda forum (i found under Guides News Discussions topic). First flash rootable boot than flash magisk. (+ When i flashed stock rootable kernel and magisk, it stay on bootloop. Solution was flash drm restoration.)

Thanks yns_rdm for the pointers. So I think I should try to flash a rooted kernel. You also said that if we flash stock rootable kernel, we need to flash drm restoration. When I try to modify the contents of the system folder in my stock ROM by mounting as rw using TWRP, I think I am trying to root the kernel. So on this case as you suggested I need to do drm restoration to avoid boot loop. How to flash drm restoration? Any tutorials in XDA?

Thanks for your time and pointers,
Karthik

---------- Post added at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

If you haven't unlock your bootloader it's normal that modifying system partition bootloop your phone. Also magisk change the boot IMG and I don't think it's possible to use if system partition is read only (but I'm not sure about it, you should ask in the magisks thread or make a new one tho because I don't think is a twrp issue)

Thanks ParanoidNemo for the pointers. FYI I have unlocked the bootloader. From TWRP if I modify the system folder of my stock ROM then I end up with bootloop. I will double check with Magisk thread about this.

Thanks,
Karthik

yns_rdm

Jul 21, 2017
Thanks yns_rdm for the pointers. So I think I should try to flash a rooted kernel. You also said that if we flash stock rootable kernel, we need to flash drm restoration. When I try to modify the contents of the system folder in my stock ROM by mounting as rw using TWRP, I think I am trying to root the kernel. So on this case as you suggested I need to do drm restoration to avoid boot loop. How to flash drm restoration? Any tutorials in XDA?

Karthik

You can find in lubik1's eXistenZ new clean port folder. This url must be work: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1lINPScvF9lR4oJWmpTqpGego9IDtkEE0?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Karthik.V.M

Jun 2, 2020

Karthik

You can find in lubik1's eXistenZ new clean port folder. This url must be work: https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/1lINPScvF9lR4oJWmpTqpGego9IDtkEE0?usp=sharing

Hi yns_rdm,

Sorry for my delayed reply. Thanks a lot for your pointers. I really appreciate it. I will give it a try this weekend and let you know how things go.

Thanks,
Karthik

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone