[UBL][NOOB-Friendly] Xperia M2 Bootloader Update FTFs (New update available)

linuxct

Recognized Contributor & Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Sheffield
Hey guys!

Since there was no thread about it yet, and since Sony released recently a new bootloader update for the Xperia M2, I decided to open a new one, and explain a little more how it works.
The bootloader update is used, in the Xperia M2, to unlock the R/W features in the recovery partition. This means that, if you've an UBL device, and you flash the update, you'll get permissions to install a new UBL recovery inside the partition itself. So, you won't need to include an external ramdisk inside your boot image.

How can I obtain it?
You've currently 2 ways:
1. Download and install Emma and apply the update from there, which will be always the latest available.
2. Download it through an FTF (explained below).

How can I install it if I choose FTF way?
First, download the latest FTF from below. Once downloaded, place it in flashtool's firmware folder, which is located in C:\Users\<your-name>\.flashTool\firmwares\.
Now, launch Flashtools (it needs to be version 0.9.18.6 or below, mandatorily), choose the FTF update (you'll easily notice which one it is), and simply hit flash.
Once prompted, connect your device while off to the Micro-B end of the USB cable, and, while you press & hold the Vol- key, connect the USB-A end to the PC. Then flash will start.

How can I install a custom recovery?
  • Download my ADB Pack 'Herramientas-de-flasheo.zip'.
  • Now, unzip my ADB Pack 'Herramientas-de-flasheo.zip', which contains basic ADB and Fastboot executables to a folder in your desktop. Also, copy the file Recovery file you downloaded to that folder.
  • Put your phone in Fastboot mode, this means, while pressing and holding the Vol+ button, connect the USB cable. Once the Led goes blue, stop pressing it.
  • Now, execute the following keyboard shortcut (Win+R) and type inside the Run prompt CMD. Inside the Command Prompt, using CD (change directory), navigate to the folder you created in the desktop. It'll be something like...
    Code:
    cd C:\Users\linuxct\Desktop\adbpack\
  • Now, execute the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery <[COLOR="Purple"]NAME-OF-THE-RECOVERY[/COLOR]>.img

How can I access the recovery?
To enter into the recovery, press and hold the volume down button, and while you're holding it, press and hold the Power button until it vibrates. When you see the Sony logo, stop holding the Vol- Button.

DOWNLOAD: Latest Bootloader Update FTF [ver 1.716]
--------------------
DOWNLOAD MIRROR: Latest Bootloader Update FTF [ver 1.716]

Last edited:

IMZihad21

Jul 5, 2014
Dhaka
There is a another way to launch command window in selected location.
Like: Open adbpack folder. Pressing SHIFT button,right click anywhere on that folder and you get option "Open new command window ".
I hope it helps noobs.
Btw,great tutorial buddy

Reactions: linuxct

linuxct

Aug 10, 2012
Sheffield
There is a another way to launch command window in selected location.
Like: Open adbpack folder. Pressing SHIFT button,right click anywhere on that folder and you get option "Open new command window ".
I hope it helps noobs.
Btw,great tutorial buddy
That's the one I commonly use, but I found easier the one I wrote in the tutorial ;)

Reactions: mariosenta

linuxct

Aug 10, 2012
Sheffield
I have confirmed that the FTF is placed in the account I am using. Is the FTF file corrupt or something? Mine file is only 3.13 MB.
I've just tried it out with Flashtools 0.9.18.6, and it's working, however on Flashtools 0.9.20.0 and above it's not showing up, since it compares the device model written in the FTF with a database, and since the entry I made was customized, it's not showing up.
What I'm going to do is to check if there's any update in Emma, if so, I'll update the file with new bootloader update.

nishchayv

May 20, 2016
Jaipur
I've just tried it out with Flashtools 0.9.18.6, and it's working, however on Flashtools 0.9.20.0 and above it's not showing up, since it compares the device model written in the FTF with a database, and since the entry I made was customized, it's not showing up.
What I'm going to do is to check if there's any update in Emma, if so, I'll update the file with new bootloader update.
Thanks fo your help. BTW I have downloaded version 0.9.18.6 from this linkhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AAC4lt7nzOQzR3aTZKUFZqem8/view?pli=1 and it's working fine for me.

gabrielmr

Jun 13, 2016
Emma won't open for me, it shows the splash screen and then nothing comes up, the process is there running, but the program won't show up.

And via FTF the flashtool 0.9.18.6 gives an error and won't flash the FTF in my device.

I have a D2306, running the FW 18.3.C.0.37

Reactions: didier_w

linuxct

Aug 10, 2012
Sheffield
Emma won't open for me, it shows the splash screen and then nothing comes up, the process is there running, but the program won't show up.

And via FTF the flashtool 0.9.18.6 gives an error and won't flash the FTF in my device.

I have a D2306, running the FW 18.3.C.0.37
The update's only compatible with 18.3.1.C.1.17 and above, AFAIK, so that might be your issue.

didier_w

Apr 18, 2016
Flashtool and Emma gives a hard time (Jul 2016)

Hi,

Same as gabrielmr... Emma installed, seems to update and restart, and then disappear in the background. Ok, then I'll use flashtool. Oh wait, there is a new version, before all, I'll update it and then flash the ftf. So I updated to latest version and... no way to see that firmware. If I had read the tread closely, I would have seen that flashing with Flashtool Version 0.9.19.8 would have taken 2 seconds, instead of trying my best to use the last flashtool version, which doesn't show the downloaded firmware XPERIAM2_1.716_BOOTLOADER_UPDATE_(ONLY_OPEN_DEVICES).ftf.
Just saying for noobs following the procedure.:cyclops: