• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Ubuntu touch] [linux] [alpha] for kenzo

Search This thread

Kn8Ryder

Just wanted to say I really appreciate the effort. I finally got to try Ubuntu Touch on a physical device and it works really well. Really happy to see that development is still ongoing - thank you, and I'm excited to see UT get better on Kenzo! :D

Also, Halium 9... 👀

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
Just wanted to say I really appreciate the effort. I finally got to try Ubuntu Touch on a physical device and it works really well. Really happy to see that development is still ongoing - thank you, and I'm excited to see UT get better on Kenzo! :D

Also, Halium 9... 👀
boots after a lot of fixes .. still issues with halium7 exist here too mainly rild-
> mobile data . (also could not find a pure los source )..if you like to debug i can share an image ..(not at a usable state )

Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
I would love to try it! Don't worry about it being usable; my kenzo is no longer my primary phone.
download https://gitlab.com/JBBgameich/halium-install/ and unzip

download the following 4 files (including flash.sh)and move to the above folder

now to install use flash.sh script ./flash.sh

NOTE : ui freezes after initial setup (issue is related to user data) ..let me know if u find a fix for this

Attachments

• flash.sh
    648 bytes · Views: 2
Reactions: Kn8Ryder

Kn8Ryder

Executed flash.sh, terminal output is attached. Phone rebooted as expected after the flash, Ubuntu Touch boot animation appeared but phone immediately shut down. Turned it on again, and it bootlooped on the Ubuntu Touch animation, alhough curiously the screen timeout was functional (turned off after a few seconds and successful wake with power button).

Wiped all and reflashed again, same result. Could I have simply gotten unlucky with a broken rootfs build from the Jenkins pipeline?

Attachments

• flash_log.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 5
Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
Executed flash.sh, terminal output is attached. Phone rebooted as expected after the flash, Ubuntu Touch boot animation appeared but phone immediately shut down. Turned it on again, and it bootlooped on the Ubuntu Touch animation, alhough curiously the screen timeout was functional (turned off after a few seconds and successful wake with power button).

Wiped all and reflashed again, same result. Could I have simply gotten unlucky with a broken rootfs build from the Jenkins pipeline?

sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo -i # And enter your password
cat /var/lib/lxc/android/rootfs/ueventd*.rc|grep ^/dev|sed -e 's/^\/dev\///'|awk '{printf "ACTION==\"add\", KERNEL==\"%s\", OWNER=\"%s\", GROUP=\"%s\", MODE=\"%s\"\n",$1,$3,$4,$2}' | sed -e 's/\r//' >/usr/lib/lxc-android-config/70-kenzo.rules
#for wifi
echo 1>/etc/init/wifi.conf
reboot

sorry ..forgot to mention this..

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
I am unable to access ssh since the phone isn't connected to the wifi. ^^'

Edit: Tried to perform an ADB pull and mounted the images on my laptop; modified and pushed back. Phone refused to boot.
Please run flash script again...and connect Kenzo to laptop and open terminal and run the following command
ssh [email protected]

sudo mount -o remount,rw / sudo -i # And enter your password cat /var/lib/lxc/android/rootfs/ueventd*.rc|grep ^/dev|sed -e 's/^\/dev\///'|awk '{printf "ACTION==\"add\", KERNEL==\"%s\", OWNER=\"%s\", GROUP=\"%s\", MODE=\"%s\"\n",$1,$3,$4,$2}' | sed -e 's/\r//' >/usr/lib/lxc-android-config/70-kenzo.rules #for wifi echo 1>/etc/init/wifi.conf reboot

Kn8Ryder

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also can you check if data calls and audio are working properly...had done fixes for those ....

Audio works well (played some Tux Racer :p). I'm afraid I can't test mobile data or calls because I don't currently use SIM cards.

And yeah, dirty flashing halium 9 is more of a workaround than a fix. Will let you know if I find something else.
    Disclaimer
    This is an alpha build, a lot of things don't work and cant be used as a primary device..also i am not responsible if your device blows up...

Having said that this is working well with good battery life.
    • Back up your current boot image if you would like to multiboot.
    • For easy installation use the flashable zip
    How to install (the long way)

The ubuntu touch rootfs
    Halum boot for kenzo
    halium-boot.img
    Halium system image
    system.img

How to install...
    • Download the 3 files above to your linux pc .
    • download install scripts from here unzip it and move all 3 files in to the folder
    • in terminal ./halium-install -p ut uubuntu-touch-hybris-edge-xenial-arm64-rootfs.tar.gz system.img
    More info here..

How to install ( the short way)

Reboot your redmi note 3 to recovery and make sure there is at least 5 gb of free space
    On your Linux pc uncompress the zip below and run flash.sh ( install dependencies if asked )

What doesn't work
    • Camera
    • Sound
    • Data
    • Fingerprint
    • Bluetooth

android app support partially working

Please Help me justify the time I spent for this here --> [email protected]
    Flashable zip

Flash the latest version from here.

ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_v1.zip
    ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_v2.zip
    ubuntu_touch_installer_Kenzo_v3.zip

How to install
    Please Help me justify the time I spent for this here --> [email protected]

halium version : 7
    Kernal version : 3.10
    ubuntu version : 16.04

The sources

To check out other phones or to thank them for their efforts please visit Ubports webpage -- https://ubports.com/

The porting process is a bit different and extremely well documented, credit to the halium and ubports team , have give it a try -- https://docs.ubports.com/en/latest/porting/

Thanking ubports community for the help
    Flohack Nokid Korko123 DivinGeorge

Change logs

Flashable zip version 1 changelog (19/06/21)
    • fixed wifi script (should work as normal without any commands to enable it)
    • changed notification panel to full screen ( if u like the old mode please change the variable back to 18)

Flashable zip version 2 changelog (27/06/21)
    • Fixed audio
    • headphones also work now
    Flashable zip version 3 changelog (03/07/21)

• added anbox patches ( see more details below)
    • apparmor fix ( some apps like music player should now work properly )
    note : for this zip to work properly u need to flash the updated halium-boot

ToDo :

• need to figure out why firmware is not getting loaded on the android side .if u guys have any idea please ping me.
    • look into the possibility of multiboot with ui.

Android Apps

anbox is now added to the flashable zip. but it is not perfect and a lot of apps i tested had compatibility issues . it should only be used if you really need to run android apps. it is disabled by default
    • enable anbox by typing the folloing line in terminal
    sudo anbox-tool enable

• installing apps in terminal
    check if anbox is online adb devices
    go to Downloads cd Downloads
    install the apk you downloaded adb install name_of.apk

Multi booting

This build will not overwrite your system image so you can multiboot both ubuntu touch and any other rom.To do this backup both the boot images and flash them as needed.
    Screenshots

screenshot20210608_211951237.png
    screenshot20210608_212028759.png
    screenshot20210608_212108559.png
    screenshot19700208_023010598.png
    screenshot20210608_211601092.png
    screenshot20210608_212009028.png
    IMG_20210608_213747.png
    Wifi isn't working on my device.
    Is there any thing i can do?
    Wifi isn't working on my device.
    Is there any thing i can do?

i did add a script for this but it does not seem to work.
    could you connect the device to a Linux pc and run the following in pc 's terminal

ssh [email protected]

sudo -i

cp /system/etc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

sudo echo 1 > /dev/wcnss_wlan

sudo echo sta > /sys/module/wlan/parameters/fwpath
    i did add a script for this but it does not seem to work.
    could you connect the device to a Linux pc and run the following in pc 's terminal

ssh [email protected]

sudo -i

cp /system/etc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini

sudo echo 1 > /dev/wcnss_wlan

sudo echo sta > /sys/module/wlan/parameters/fwpath
    Worked like a charm!
    Also it was good to know I could ssh using that address.