Ubuntu Touch porting - where to post?

Flohack

Jan 16, 2016
Hello All,

I am trying to re-vive the Ubuntu Touch port for Galaxy S3. In which of the many areas of XDA this would be placed?

- Its no official or unofficial Android ROM
- its rather like Sailfish OS

How to name the thread correctly according to [ROM] etc flags?

BR Florian

Option58

Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Hello All,

I am trying to re-vive the Ubuntu Touch port for Galaxy S3. In which of the many areas of XDA this would be placed?

- Its no official or unofficial Android ROM
- its rather like Sailfish OS

How to name the thread correctly according to [ROM] etc flags?

BR Florian
Well, that should be the least of your problems! :D

Flohack

Jan 16, 2016
Well, that should be the least of your problems! :D
The other problems I manage locally :) - but I want to start a discussion thread soon, since I am convinced to be able to push out a test build soon. I want to involve more people into this, thereby generating more possible solutions for problems.

In case you are interested, the phone boots already correctly, kernel is fine without errors, Android container starts also without errors. Ubuntu´s init/upstart is mounting all necessary partitions, and brings up most of the basic services. Currently stuck with GUI since mir/libhybris/unity8 cannot paint on framebuffer or hw composer ;)

BR Florian

Option58

Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
The other problems I manage locally :) - but I want to start a discussion thread soon, since I am convinced to be able to push out a test build soon. I want to involve more people into this, thereby generating more possible solutions for problems.

In case you are interested, the phone boots already correctly, kernel is fine without errors, Android container starts also without errors. Ubuntu´s init/upstart is mounting all necessary partitions, and brings up most of the basic services. Currently stuck with GUI since mir/libhybris/unity8 cannot paint on framebuffer or hw composer ;)

BR Florian
I don't own your device. But if that's the case...good luck :good: :fingers-crossed:

holysaint1

Apr 28, 2015

BR Florian
Bro.. I own a s3 at&t.. And would love to help out on testing ROMs. This task of yours seems promising.
Meanwhile, I installed a Linux OS in my system of which am still trying to wrap my head around (If its of any help). So just call out anytime u need me.

Flohack

Jan 16, 2016
Bro.. I own a s3 at&t.. And would love to help out on testing ROMs. This task of yours seems promising.
Meanwhile, I installed a Linux OS in my system of which am still trying to wrap my head around (If its of any help). So just call out anytime u need me.
Hi,
good to know. We just need to make sure AT&T version does not have too much difference from the international one. Can you dedicate it for testing? It does not need data to be wiped normally, since Ubuntu runs off a container in the data partition but you never know...

I am currently stuck with the GUI and tbh I have no idea when and how this will be resolved. Samsung has done a great job with their GPU and Exynos, but our libhybris part does not want to play with it nicely.
Keep you updated!

BR

cbmfreak

Mar 28, 2017
I have the international version of S3 GT-i9300. It is currently without a working rom, so I need to find time to see if it will boot with an official rom flashed with odin, it currently has an old clockwork mod recovery installed and a lineage os rom that wont boot..

If I get it working again, then I could dedicate it to testing... I would love to have a phone that was pure linux with phone capabilities... then I would no longer need to use google's linux abomination known as android

Flohack

Jan 16, 2016
Hi,

sorry to say but I stopped now every porting activity, since Canonical dropped Ubuntu Touch and we are struggling on all other frontlines to get the community together for continuing the OS.

There will be no new hardware ports in the near future, which I think will be up to 1 year or 2. By that time, also S-III etc are end of life, since its hard to support multiple generations of smartphones with different kernels properly. Im afraid we are too late...

Anyway, contact me if you want to help in other areas of Ubuntu Touch going UBports community ;)

BR

Flohack

Jan 16, 2016
Hi there,

Florian from UBports. The active devices that we support can be found here: https://devices.ubports.com/#/ - that being said, you wont find the Note 2 there as an active device. What happened in the past I can´t say, but currently we have no ETA to work on new devices.

BR Florian