uConnect 6.5 (Alfa / Fiat) Root Access

Search This thread

mad-yorky

Aug 7, 2022
Not sure if this is allowed but I found this post while looking for info on how to solve this issue

I have a 2016 G with U-Connect 6.5 with Sat Nav - original maps, Live services and all was working well until a recent security update to my Samsung S20+ and I lost the Tom Tom live updates.
Details of system
U-Connect Software version - 15.53.40
Hardware Part # 156110637

I have
  • Uninstalled U-connect app from phone
  • reinstalled U-connect app on to phone
  • Tried on a different phone with old version of Android
At this time I had the Alfa Performance options working , Battery level, Battery voltage etc.

Tried a reset default - not joy

After reading around the forum I decided to do a factory reset from the engineering menu
  • First I did not have DAB radio so did a Radio reset in engineering menu
  • DAB worked but limited stations
  • Lost all the Alfa performance apps from the live app section
  • Not able to connect to U-Connect app as I get error message saying not available for this vehicle
  • I have tried deleting the profile on the phone and also from the uconnect website
  • Disconnected the battery
  • Tried to check for U-connect head unit updates but not had one for a few years Over the air
Deleted the current blue tooth connection from the phone and the headunit
Sat nav works (minus Tom Tom live)

I noted that the bluetooth name had changed from the VIN of the car to be a generic "\u0000\u0000\u00

Has anybody go any ideas
  • Could it related to the name of the bluetooth connection?
  • Is there a way to change the name back?
Would carrying out the upgrade outlined in this thread fix the issue or would you consider this too risky baring in mind the factory reset caused a lot more problems?

Thanks in advance for any help.

rolism

Aug 8, 2022
I have an Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2017 and I want to update the navigation, is it possible? uconnect 6.5

Attachments

• 297825089_729549928120954_6516677850411135472_n.jpg
    297825089_729549928120954_6516677850411135472_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 298173275_1674807256224361_6730387675599472271_n.jpg
    298173275_1674807256224361_6730387675599472271_n.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 233

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
Hi

The 2022 Italy only pack seems not be working, it complete the procedure but then the Navigator doesn't start.

Can be fixed?

mesa155

Feb 27, 2017
Sorry for my question - i want to buy a Giulietta with Uconnect, and i found two versions, one with "More" button at the right-bottom and one with "Apps" button.

What is the difference? Should i avoid to buy any of them? Thanks!
(Later i wish to update my car)

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
Sorry for my question - i want to buy a Giulietta with Uconnect, and i found two versions, one with "More" button at the right-bottom and one with "Apps" button.

What is the difference? Should i avoid to buy any of them? Thanks!
(Later i wish to update my car)
The version with the Apps button in the right side is more recent, and updated versione of Uconnect 6.5 but it still lacks android and all the modern features. BAsically I think that more or less is the same as the older with the more button.

Reactions: mesa155

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
I'm actually having troubles with the map update. This is what happen to me:

1) I unlock the system back in 2019 succesfully with no problems. Now I have tried to update the map only to the 2022 Italy map, I have completed the procedure ( and tap NO when asked from the popup message on screen) but after that the navigator wasn't starting.

2) now I have tried to update to the 2021 italy map only but the situation is still the same, I have completed the procedure but the navigation suite doesn't start. Here some pictures:

If I tap the NAV button, this screen appears and it doesn't go on. It says " Activation in progress"

20220811_005952.jpg

then if I go check the maps status it says "undefined".

What can I do?

Artus1

Sep 5, 2022

1) I unlock the system back in 2019 succesfully with no problems. Now I have tried to update the map only to the 2022 Italy map, I have completed the procedure ( and tap NO when asked from the popup message on screen) but after that the navigator wasn't starting.

2) now I have tried to update to the 2021 italy map only but the situation is still the same, I have completed the procedure but the navigation suite doesn't start. Here some pictures:

If I tap the NAV button, this screen appears and it doesn't go on. It says " Activation in progress"

View attachment 5682593

What can I do?
I have the same problem.
Have you found a solution?

Iannik

Oct 23, 2007
Hello, I have a problem.
I have lost my backup usb, and now I have my connect 6.5 not working.
id like to know if is possible to have a backup, so I can add it to a new usb. Thank you

Iannik

Oct 23, 2007

View attachment 5682593

What can I do?
did you fixed it?

light_n_roses

Oct 25, 2009
Hi

I have solved thanks to a user tip on another forum. Basically you need to edit with notepadd the script.lua file.
If you open the script.lua file with notepadd you need to change this string:
Code:
os.execute("cp -rf /fs/usb0/content/lang/* /fs/mmc0/nav/NNG/content/voice/")

to this:

Code:
os.execute("cp -rf /fs/usb0/content/voice/* /fs/mmc0/nav/NNG/content/voice/")

and then it should work.

soso.kapianidze

Nov 19, 2022
hi, I have Jeep renegade 2015 trailhawk version, current uconnect version is 15.21.37. when I try to download update from here https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html it gives me UCONNECT_RA4_18.50.35_BU_MY15-17 this version. I wrote it to USB(FAT32) and tried to update but when I plug USB into media port nothing happens. after investigating I came to idea that it can't be updated with such a gap between versions. do you have any idea which version should I install first and how to download ?

P.S vehicle is made for US market and now I imported it to Georgia.

GerritDr

Dec 10, 2022
I thought i would start this thread, separate to the Jeep one as the Jeep thread is for the 8.4" uConnect and uses some different files to the 6.5" version.

The aim of the thread is to be able to gain some sort of 'root' access to the file system to be able to update the maps on the system. So far I know cm0002 and Leighm0 have done some great work with the 8.4" - Most of which we can use on the 6.5".....once we have access to the file system.

The problem we seem to be facing is finding a swdl.iso that is old enough to be modified for our 6.5" units.

Mission Accomplished.... mostly

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for any damages to your uConnect, Car or your hair falling out from running this modification.
That being said, if you do have a problem please contact me and I will see if I can help you fix it.

For all those people still on v17.07.46 or older uConnect 6.5 firmware I offer you a “jailbreak”, you can now update your maps to the latest versions (currently offering EU 2018Q3 / NA 2018Q1 in my pack). I have to warn you though, the process can take a lot of time!

For those of you who have updated your 6.5 uConnect to v17.35.41 or v18, I am still working on how to update those, FCA / Alfa changed the locks with that update!

For a Full EU / NA update, if you follow my instructions fully, it will take approx. 4hours during which time your uConnect must remain powered on. This time can be greatly reduced by only updating the country or countries you need, or if you are feeling brave, skipping Step 1.

Files / Items needed:
uConnect 6.5 running v17 or older firmware -Supporting Alfa, Fiat and Jeeps too!
At least 8gb USB Drive ***preferably with a flashing led light so you can see file access***
Files from
https://mega.nz/#F!kURhTCbJ!uJhKPMyGiESbvQSDb33CvQ

Stage 1 – Backup your files

Download:
1 Magic -Alfa pre UPD.zip -For Alfa
1 Magic -Fiat & Jeep pre UPD.zip -For Fiat / Jeep
2 Backup.zip

Process:
1. Download and expand “1 Magic -XXX.zip” and “2 Backup.zip”
2. Copy the content onto the root of the USB drive
3. Start car and let uConnect boot up (wait approx 5min for full boot up)
4. Plug in and WAIT, the uConnect will not appear to be doing anything but if you are using a USB with a light you should be able to see it flashing with file activity
5. After some time, in my case it took 1h25 to complete this stage, it should popup a window about there is a update that you MUST answer NO to
6. Pull USB, and power cycle the uConnect*

After that you now have a backup of all the system and map files we are going to change on your uConnect.

KEEP THEM SAFE!

Either use a second USB for stage 2, save the backup folder to your computer or if your like me and use a 16gb USB stick you can leave it where it is.

I have now uploaded copies of the official EU Map Packs from (A) 2013, 2015 and 2017, NA Map Packs (B) 2013, and ROW Map Packs (C) WIP that will function as a backup or official upgrade for anybody needing them, restoring your uConnect back to stock.

***If you have a newer set of Original Map files please contact me, and I can add them to the drive for all to benefit from***

Stage 2 – Modify your uConnect

Download:
1 Magic.zip --You should already have this if you completed Stage 1
D EU Custom 2018 HNEU2018Q3v2.zip --Full EU
E NA Custom 2018 HNNA2018Q1.zip --Full North America
Or
D UK Custom 2018 HNUK2018Q3.zip --UK Only
D FR Custom 2018 HNFR2018Q3.zip --France Only
D DE Custom 2018 HNDE2018Q3.zip --Germany Only
D IT Custom 2018 HNIT2018Q3.zip --Italy Only
***There will be other country / State only update packs soon***
Or
A EU 2013 Original NQEU2012Q4.zip --Stock 2013 Maps, Original EU Release
A EU Update 2017 HMEU2015Q4.zip --Newest Original Map files released 2017
B NA 2013 Original NQNA2013Q4.zip --Stock 2013 Maps, Original NA Release

Process:
1. Download and expand “1 Magic.zip” and “D XX Custom 2018 HN….zip”
3. Start car and let uConnect boot up (wait approx. 5min for full boot up)
4. Plug in and WAIT, the uConnect will not appear to be doing anything but if you are using a USB with a light you should be able to see it flashing with file activity
5. After some time, depending on file used - If country / State only pack approx. 15min if full EU then approx. 2h, it should popup a window about there is a update that you MUST answer NO

If all gone well you will now have a uConnect 6.5 with updated maps!

As I am sure you can understand, there are still some little bugs to work out;

Problems:
UK postcodes > Only 5 digit search
Speedcams > Not working at all
Anything else… you tell me

Fixed:
UK TMC now working
France TMC working again
Italy TMC (paid version) working

There may be other little problems, but I am unable to test them, please let me know and I will look into them and try to fix!

*To Power cycle:
Either remove key, lock car, wait 10min, unlock and restart)
Or use engineers menu to reset the uConnect (Press Radio, More and Browse until menu pops up, scroll down to Reset Radio, answer YES)
Hi there,
I watch several post of you regarding update of Navi Harmon 6,5" on Jeep Renegade.
I performed the actions you described above, after getting all de software from MEGA.
I used the full maps of Europe of 2022 but after updating, I got Naviserver = undefined, KaartenDatabase=undefined.

Does this mean that the provided license keys are not working ?

I attached screenshots the original config before update (Jeep Renegade of 2016) and the config after updating with maps of 2022

Attachments

• jeep_navi2016.jpg
    jeep_navi2016.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 26
  • jeep_navi2022.jpg
    jeep_navi2022.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 26

SquithyX

May 24, 2006
Bradford
Hi there,
I watch several post of you regarding update of Navi Harmon 6,5" on Jeep Renegade.
I performed the actions you described above, after getting all de software from MEGA.
I used the full maps of Europe of 2022 but after updating, I got Naviserver = undefined, KaartenDatabase=undefined.

Does this mean that the provided license keys are not working ?

I attached screenshots the original config before update (Jeep Renegade of 2016) and the config after updating with maps of 2022
v16 software can sometimes have a problem with my updates, the naviserver used is from v17 and some of the v16 software versions can manage to run it, others fail.

The first thing you should try is to do the map update again, if possible use a different USB as the uConnects can be very fussy with them I have found SanDisk, Toshiba or Samsung seem to work best, Kingston and Kioxia are not good at all.

If re-updating the maps does not work you will have to update the software to v17 (v17.07.46 ONLY), and then run the map update, after that you should have no problems with the system.

You could go and update the software first if you wanted, I do recommend updating to v17.07.46 (Fiat / Jeep) or v17.07.55 (Alfa) before using my map updates as they are the latest versions of the software that support my mod.

Hope this helps, any further problems, message me and I will try to help further!

GerritDr

Dec 10, 2022
Thanks for your quick reply👍
Problem is not the USB stick because all the files were copied via the
linux scripts.
So I will preferably go for the update from V16 to V17
Any idea where I can get v17.07.46?
And how will this update be done?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought i would start this thread, separate to the Jeep one as the Jeep thread is for the 8.4" uConnect and uses some different files to the 6.5" version.

The aim of the thread is to be able to gain some sort of 'root' access to the file system to be able to update the maps on the system. So far I know cm0002 and Leighm0 have done some great work with the 8.4" - Most of which we can use on the 6.5".....once we have access to the file system.

The problem we seem to be facing is finding a swdl.iso that is old enough to be modified for our 6.5" units.

Mission Accomplished.... mostly

Disclaimer: I can not be held responsible for any damages to your uConnect, Car or your hair falling out from running this modification.
    That being said, if you do have a problem please contact me and I will see if I can help you fix it.

For all those people still on v17.07.46 or older uConnect 6.5 firmware I offer you a “jailbreak”, you can now update your maps to the latest versions (currently offering EU 2018Q3 / NA 2018Q1 in my pack). I have to warn you though, the process can take a lot of time!

For those of you who have updated your 6.5 uConnect to v17.35.41 or v18, I am still working on how to update those, FCA / Alfa changed the locks with that update!

For a Full EU / NA update, if you follow my instructions fully, it will take approx. 4hours during which time your uConnect must remain powered on. This time can be greatly reduced by only updating the country or countries you need, or if you are feeling brave, skipping Step 1.

Files / Items needed:
    uConnect 6.5 running v17 or older firmware -Supporting Alfa, Fiat and Jeeps too!
    At least 8gb USB Drive ***preferably with a flashing led light so you can see file access***
    Files from
    https://mega.nz/#F!kURhTCbJ!uJhKPMyGiESbvQSDb33CvQ

Stage 1 – Backup your files

Download:
    1 Magic -Alfa pre UPD.zip -For Alfa
    1 Magic -Fiat & Jeep pre UPD.zip -For Fiat / Jeep
    2 Backup.zip

Process:
    1. Download and expand “1 Magic -XXX.zip” and “2 Backup.zip”
    3. Start car and let uConnect boot up (wait approx 5min for full boot up)
    5. After some time, in my case it took 1h25 to complete this stage, it should popup a window about there is a update that you MUST answer NO to

After that you now have a backup of all the system and map files we are going to change on your uConnect.

KEEP THEM SAFE!

Either use a second USB for stage 2, save the backup folder to your computer or if your like me and use a 16gb USB stick you can leave it where it is.

I have now uploaded copies of the official EU Map Packs from (A) 2013, 2015 and 2017, NA Map Packs (B) 2013, and ROW Map Packs (C) WIP that will function as a backup or official upgrade for anybody needing them, restoring your uConnect back to stock.

***If you have a newer set of Original Map files please contact me, and I can add them to the drive for all to benefit from***

Stage 2 – Modify your uConnect

Download:
    1 Magic.zip --You should already have this if you completed Stage 1
    D EU Custom 2018 HNEU2018Q3v2.zip --Full EU
    E NA Custom 2018 HNNA2018Q1.zip --Full North America
    Or
    D UK Custom 2018 HNUK2018Q3.zip --UK Only
    D FR Custom 2018 HNFR2018Q3.zip --France Only
    D DE Custom 2018 HNDE2018Q3.zip --Germany Only
    D IT Custom 2018 HNIT2018Q3.zip --Italy Only
    ***There will be other country / State only update packs soon***
    Or
    A EU 2013 Original NQEU2012Q4.zip --Stock 2013 Maps, Original EU Release
    A EU Update 2017 HMEU2015Q4.zip --Newest Original Map files released 2017
    B NA 2013 Original NQNA2013Q4.zip --Stock 2013 Maps, Original NA Release

Process:
    1. Download and expand “1 Magic.zip” and “D XX Custom 2018 HN….zip”
    3. Start car and let uConnect boot up (wait approx. 5min for full boot up)
    5. After some time, depending on file used - If country / State only pack approx. 15min if full EU then approx. 2h, it should popup a window about there is a update that you MUST answer NO

If all gone well you will now have a uConnect 6.5 with updated maps!

As I am sure you can understand, there are still some little bugs to work out;

Problems:
    UK postcodes > Only 5 digit search
    Speedcams > Not working at all
    Anything else… you tell me

Fixed:
    UK TMC now working
    France TMC working again
    Italy TMC (paid version) working

There may be other little problems, but I am unable to test them, please let me know and I will look into them and try to fix!

*To Power cycle:
    Either remove key, lock car, wait 10min, unlock and restart)
    Or use engineers menu to reset the uConnect (Press Radio, More and Browse until menu pops up, scroll down to Reset Radio, answer YES)
    I have uploaded some of the files, more to come.
    The URL:

https://mega.nz/#F!kMYjlSKB!MCC6U1jclb0_aHc-NdocrA

If you have anything else to share please message me.
    There is now 2019v2 map pack on the share for anybody who wants it.
    The map files are from May 2019 (2018Q4)
    Merry Christmas to you all
    So close, but broken lol

Success......kind of, I have managed to modify a swdl.iso to enable loading of different / modified files, on my Alfa 6.5 uConnect running 17.07.55.

The problem now is I seem to have completely broken navigation!!!!!!

I used the idea from post #216 in the Rooted Jeep Cherokee thread and modified the manifest.lua file in the swdl.iso (17.07.55) to load a script from usb before running the update.

Process goes power on uConnect > wait for it to boot up and display "Hands free ...." > insert USB and wait...it seems like its not doing anything but the script is running in the background > after some time the do you want to update question and answer No.
    The fact that is has asked if you want to update is confirmation that the script has finished, however unfortunately there is no indication that the script is being run or how long it will take unless you have a usb with a flashing light, then it will show you something is happening at least! **my usb does not have a flashing light
    I tested it with a splash screen update.... that worked perfectly, so no more boring Alfa Romeo logo on silver background for me at start up, I then pushed the modified NaviServer2, nav.sh and navRestart.sh files and rebooted.... new splash screen working perfectly but on pressing Nav button I just end up on a screen saying "Activating Navigation"

I am in the process of uploading the modified files to the mega share if anybody whats to have a look or are feeling brave
    did you modify the swdl.iso? or just the script.lua?

I have used a modified 17.07.55 swdl.iso with a script.lua - if you download the test above it contains some of the modified files. The rest are currently being uploaded / are already available online.

I have done a very quick video of progress with the uConnect here:

https://youtu.be/ed0O-xXNHdg