Ulefone Armor 3W/3WT

Search This thread

l0n34ng3l

Apr 8, 2019
Hello everyone.

This is my first thread, I hope not to break any rules.

Ulefone launched the new Armor 3W and 3WT, like our 3 and 3T, it does have the exact same look and same specs except for the CPU and RAM, our 3 and 3T have the P23 and 4GB of RAM, the new Armor 3W and 3WT have the P70 and 6GB of RAM.

Does any of you had the change to get one and test it out?

I'm curious if the TWRP available to 3 and 3T are compatible with the new 3W/3WT.

Thank you!

artarts

Nov 6, 2008
Well, this has been a good run, but the DMR transceiver on my phone has kicked the bucket today. It still receives, but transmit has no power. Anybody got some leads with Ulefone on getting replacement parts?

As an alternative, I am also interested in the AtomXL and Runbo E81 phones.
Have you tried using another antenna?
Mine broke inside and was receiving close distances but not transmitting at all..

I mananged to fix it with some soldering but it broke again later, then I bought a SF-18 soft antenna for Kenwood and got back in business.

This SF-18 antenna is very soft and I think boarding a car won't brake it anymore.
I had to cut out some of the extra rubber on the antenna near the connector, only estetics.

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Funny you should say. I did break my antenna, so I also replaced it with a flexible mini whip antenna meant for a Kenwood radio. I got the BNC version, because I want to quickly switch between this antenna and a mag-mount for my car.

It's definitely not the antenna. I was using a dummy load on the power meter, so the antenna wasn't even connected. What I neglected to check was the sma-bnc adapter. Turns out I wasn't getting a connection through that, but I can get a power reading when I screw the power meter in without the bnc adapters.

Got new adapters and still had an intermittent issue. Now, if I tighten it too much, I don't get a connection. I now have a washer and a thin rubber spacer from another antenna to get the right tightness and spacing on it. So far so good.

GDMorry

Aug 3, 2021
Hi there everyone, I'm very new to the android scene and have a spare phone that is a Ulefone Armor 3WT and would really like to Get LineageOS or similar "Google Free" OS onto it. I am only interested in a couple of apps and don't want any "Google ware" on it at all. Keeping the Walkie Talkie function is however important to me.

Does anyone have any advise or links (walk through?) they could send me to achieve this?

TWRP doesn't yet seem to be available?

Thanks heaps

GDMorry

Aug 3, 2021
Hi there everyone, I'm very new to the android scene and have a spare phone that is a Ulefone Armor 3WT and would really like to Get LineageOS or similar "Google Free" OS onto it. I am only interested in a couple of apps and don't want any "Google ware" on it at all. Keeping the Walkie Talkie function is however important to me.

Does anyone have any advise or links (walk through?) they could send me to achieve this?

TWRP doesn't yet seem to be available?

Thanks heaps
SOooo...... rather than just "skim" through and therefore not reading this thread properly, I sat down with a drink (or two) at my PC (not on a small phone screen) and read in depth what you guys have been up to :geek:

I have managed to get LineageOS installed = Build number - treble_arm64_bvS-userdebug 11 RQ3A.210705.001 etc.

I now will go back and attempt to use @clewis.it version of TWRP etc.

Big thanks to everyone = I'm sure I'll get this device working how I want to now (y)

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello again everyone,
I seem to keep getting weirder and weirder issues. My fingerprint reader has stopped working. Android does not even detect that it exists. My rear camera jitters like crazy. Sometimes I can get a clear image if I wave it around for a while, but it takes some time before it settles down. I'm probably going to do a factory restore...eventually.

In the meantime, I have good news. The Atom XL got updated with new firmware back in May. I just looked at their google drive yesterday and noticed it. Among the changes were some Intercom related features:
1) Import/Export feature for Contacts and Zones
2) Channel Scanning
probably some other bug fixes that were not mentioned.

I did my thing and can confirm that both of these features work on the Armor 3WT. Both of these options are located in the "Device" page within Intercom.

Import/Export still works with my longer field lengths and the out-of-band frequencies. It exports to an XML file, so you can probably also make modifications to that file if needed. (I, for example, will typically change the sequence of records.)

Scanning is for channels within your currently selected zone only. We still do not have any frequency scanning, since we don't have a real VFO. Scanning stops as soon as it finds a channel with any activity, and Intercom switches to that channel.

So, without further ado, I am including a new Magisk module with the following changes:
1) Updated Intercom app
2) Customized Intercom
a. longer channel names
b. longer contact names
c. longer zone names
d. 90 and 120 second transmit timeout selections
e. frequency range expanded to 100-470MHz
3) added keymap file to map the PTT button to the "Programmable Red" button

Since I gave the PTT button a keycode, I also had to update the Automate flow to use the correct button. I'm attaching that file also.

Feel free to ask me questions if something doesn't work as expected. Take care.

Attachments

• Magisk-PhoneIcom_Armor3WT_214.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 99
  • Intercom PTT.flo.zip
    357 bytes · Views: 87
Reactions: GDMorry

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Interesting...
Looks like the new version of Intercom also increased the channels per zone. Looks like we can now have 256 channels in each zone instead of 48.

Hell-dragonne

May 11, 2021
Hello everyone, little question. With a bluetooth headset is it possible to map the Google button of the headset to PTT mode and also activate the microphone on the headset?

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello everyone, little question. With a bluetooth headset is it possible to map the Google button of the headset to PTT mode and also activate the microphone on the headset?

That's a good question. First, I don't know of any way to capture the headset button press and override its intention. If you find a way to do that, then all you need to activate the PTT is to send the intent "android.intent.action.PTT.down" to "com.a gold.intercom". Send "android.intent.action.PTT.up" to tell the app that the PTT was released.

Unfortunately, the answer to your last question is no. There is no reliable way to make Intercom use your Bluetooth microphone. It can use the mic input from your USB headset adapter that came with the phone, otherwise it can only use the handset mic.

Hell-dragonne

May 11, 2021
C'est une bonne question. Premièrement, je ne connais aucun moyen de capturer la pression sur le bouton du casque et de remplacer son intention. Si vous trouvez un moyen de le faire, tout ce dont vous avez besoin pour activer le PTT est d'envoyer l'intention "android.intent.action.PTT.down" à "com.a gold.intercom". Envoyez "android.intent.action.PTT.up" pour indiquer à l'application que le PTT est sorti.

Malheureusement , la réponse à votre dernière question est non. Il n'existe aucun moyen fiable pour que Intercom utilise votre microphone Bluetooth. Il peut utiliser l'entrée micro de l'adaptateur de casque USB fourni avec le téléphone, sinon il ne peut utiliser que le micro du combiné.
OK, thanks for the details.
Really unfortunate for this option which is not implemented in the software, the phone will gain in mobility and in application field

(Google trad soory 😅)

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello,
I have a small update for the Intercom program. In the last version, I saw that each zone allows for 256 channels, but the program would crash if you tried to switch to a channel higher than 99. Turns out the channel number was never fixed to display 3 digits.

I finally took some time to figure out how that part is programmed and added the necessary elements. Works fine on my phone, so I'm attaching the updated magisk module.

I think I might have forgotten the auto-rotate on my last post, but this one does allow for landscape rotation.

All the usual disclaimers apply. Use at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any damages, blah blah blah.

Attachments

• Magisk-PhoneIcom_Armor3WT_217.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 65

radiomean-uk

Jan 9, 2021
UN-ROOT advice please!!!

Some time ago (over a year actually) I ROOTer my Ulefone 3WT, and installed Android 10. I have decided to sell it and would like to remove TWRP, install standard recovery and stock Android.

I'd really appreciate advice on how to do this, please!

Cheers...

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
I have some exciting news!

Thanks to a-dead-trousers awesome write-up and assistance in finding the kernel bit that needed to be edited, I can proudly present:

TWRP Recovery complete with working touch screen!

Recovery image attached. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• recovery.img
    23.3 MB · Views: 135
Reactions: viehrig

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Alright, now I have a brand new Magisk module for the Intercom app. I've managed to find solutions for the biggest problems we've had with running Intercom on new Android GSI's. I'm currently running LineageOS 19.1 and no longer require any third party apps to start extmodule or control the PTT button, and now the PTT button works with the screen off! The only problem I can't fix automatically is Android seeing the USB audio from the DMR board as a headset, and sending audio to that instead of the main speaker. We still need to disable USB Audio Routing for this.

Instructions:
1) Install your preferred GSI.
2) install Magisk
3) boot and setup.
4) enable developer settings (if your preferred GSI doesn't already have it enabled)
5) Go to Developer Settings and disable USB Audio Routing.
6) Go to Magisk Manager and install the Intercom Magisk Module (attached to this post).
7) reboot

That's it. Intercom will be installed, and your PTT button will work just like a real walkie talkie. Press the PTT and it will start transmitting immediately (as long as Intercom is running).

Attachments

• Magisk-PhoneIcom_Armor3WT_221.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: kaziq

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello. It's me again. You know, it's funny what you can learn by reading GitHub and other unrelated issues.

First, I learned a while back that you can just throw commands in a service.sh file in a magisk module and magisk all run them on boot. Honestly I feel silly over that, I have read enough about magisk that I should have known this already. But, this is my first magisk module, so we will just call it a learning experience, and automatically running extmodule is a success.

On GitHub, I saw an issue regarding another phone with a PTT button and saw them list "getevents output". After reading that many times, I finally realized that this is a command line program built into Android. Now we can use that in a boot script to perform the PTT function. Another success!

This weekend I was researching an unrelated problem and stumbled across an "adb shell settings" command to enable a well known setting in Android. Well, it turns out this command also handles the developer options, and you don't even need to enable developer options to change those settings. And with this, the last of my major issues has been resolved.

Attached is the final version of my Intercom magisk module. You just install your GSI (Android 10 or higher), install Magisk, and then install this module from Magisk Manager. No further settings changes or third party apps required.

This has been a good learning experience. I hope it helps someone.

Attachments

• magisk-phoneicom_armor3wt_222.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 74
Reactions: kaziq

GDMorry

Aug 3, 2021
Hello. It's me again. You know, it's funny what you can learn by reading GitHub and other unrelated issues.........................................

This has been a good learning experience. I hope it helps someone.
Hey if you can assist -=- I am looking for a link for the latest suitable LineageOS download for this phone if its 19.1 i'm not able to find it..

just want the wt ptt and phone no google ;)

Cheers

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hey if you can assist -=- I am looking for a link for the latest suitable LineageOS download for this phone if its 19.1 i'm not able to find it..

just want the wt ptt and phone no google ;)

Cheers
I assume your bootloader is unlocked and you rooted the phone. If so, you can go to PHHusson's treble experimentation github. Go to the wiki, then go to GSI List. There will be a list of all the different ROMs you can use. Lineage OS is there along with many others.

Reactions: GDMorry

arkaitzswagman

Dec 30, 2022
Hello and many thanks for this thread which got me through setting up a working custom rom on my phone. I wanted to do so for two main reasons:
  1. I had battery drainage issues which causes I did not manage to find out (tried to find the apps involved as well as replaced the battery itself), I figured a newer OS would have a better battery management.
  2. Aging stock rom (android 9) without any updates
I tried Lineage Os 19.1 but my SIM card was not recognized (French Telco should that matter ).
The /e/ image provided in Phhusson GSI list works perfectly though ! :)

I think I managed to install Magisk properly (25.2) but I get confused regarding how the intercom app should be installed.
I installed the latest module from clewis.it (module number 222) in the magisk app but I cannot find the intercom app even after reboot.

Should I install an intercom apk on top of that or is it included in the module and it just do not work in my specific case?
I might as well have done something wrong as it's my first try on twrp, magisk and custom rom ;)

Cheers

clewis.it

Nov 1, 2006
Hello and many thanks for this thread which got me through setting up a working custom rom on my phone. I wanted to do so for two main reasons:
  1. I had battery drainage issues which causes I did not manage to find out (tried to find the apps involved as well as replaced the battery itself), I figured a newer OS would have a better battery management.
  2. Aging stock rom (android 9) without any updates
I tried Lineage Os 19.1 but my SIM card was not recognized (French Telco should that matter ).
The /e/ image provided in Phhusson GSI list works perfectly though ! :)

I think I managed to install Magisk properly (25.2) but I get confused regarding how the intercom app should be installed.
I installed the latest module from clewis.it (module number 222) in the magisk app but I cannot find the intercom app even after reboot.

Should I install an intercom apk on top of that or is it included in the module and it just do not work in my specific case?
I might as well have done something wrong as it's my first try on twrp, magisk and custom rom ;)

Cheers
Hi. Sorry, I haven't used any recent /e/ rom. Its possible that they use different platform keys for their build. The Intercom app has to be signed with the same platform keys as the ROM, otherwise the system ignores the app. I will try it out later this week to verify. In the meantime, you might want to try other Roms as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thx a lot for this information ,
    has RGB led , but its working as indicator of messages or only for battery power loading ;) ?

when ROOT will be available I will buy this phone probably ... (this is mandatory requirement with all my smartfones , i cant imagine have smartfone without ROOT)

aaa one more question i forgot ;)
    how sim cards and exernal memory is applyiable ? SIM + SIM + MemoryCard ,
    or hybrid SIM + SIM / SIM + MemoryCard

Charging and messages with selectable color. I agree about root however the phone was just too interesting to wait for root. I mostly need it to delete the gapps and google services as i don't use them so i can live with it for now. It has 2 sim cards and a micro SD card each in their own connector under the metal plate on the back so all 3 at once are possible.
    Ulefone Armor 3W/3WT TWRP custom recovery + ROOT

Instructions:
    • 1. Flash recovery.img via spflashtool or platformtools.
    • 2. Boot to TWRP.
      Touchscreen is not working properly in TWRP on our gadgets. You need to use OTG cable and mouse. Skip enter password form. Default language is russian so you can choose your in options.
    • 3. Install disable force encryption and magisk (if you need root) via TWRP.
    • 4. Boot to system. Enjoy.

Download link (merge go ogle together)
    drive.go ogle.com/open?id=1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC
    Instructions:
    • 1. Flash recovery.img via spflashtool or platformtools.
    • 2. Boot to TWRP.
      Touchscreen is not working properly in TWRP on our gadgets. You need to use OTG cable and mouse. Skip enter password form. Default language is russian so you can choose your in options.
    • 3. Install disable force encryption and magisk (if you need root) via TWRP.
    • 4. Boot to system. Enjoy.

Download link (merge go ogle together)
    drive.go ogle.com/open?id=1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC

Thank you so much! This works great!

Here is a clickable download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J0HlsJYTyJUGAHjIXYMDUXye4DD9kEAC

For anyone following these are the steps i did (assuming you unlocked bootloader already):
    1. Copy both zips to external sd as internal storage wont work at first
    2. adb reboot bootloader
    3. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    4. unplug usb and hold power button until screen turns off
    5. let go of power button, count to 2, press and hold power button and volume up together until screen turns back on
    6. let go of power button when screen turns on but keep holding volume up until you see TWRP screen
    7. as above post said, cancel password and swipe to enter main menu and then one square above the bottom right to enter the language menu
    8. flash both zips from external sd card
    9. format data (not wipe but format to get rid of encryption) - i rebooted after flashing the zips and had to go back to recovery again to format the data !THIS DOES A FACTORY RESET!
    10. reboot to system this will cause it to be set up as new
    11. reboot to recovery again, this time there should be no password and in install you should be able to see internal storage of the phone
    12. flash magisk / anything else you want

Also do you mind me asking... How did you manage to make this recovery? As far as i understand the stock boot.img is needed to port twrp or have things changed now?
    While we are on the subject of experiments, I thought you all might be interested to know my other findings. I got a little power/swr meter, and I am using a dual band antenna. Using a root based SQLite editor, I was able to input frequencies outside the UHF band. I have been able to listen to VHF transmissions on the 2 meter and 1.25m bands. I have heard static bursts on the 6m band, but nothing on 10m.

I have confirmed that I can transmit on the 2m band. The power meter shows anywhere between 0.7W to 0.4W (it starts high then lessens over a few seconds). I was also able to open the squelch on a local repeater and hear the repeater tail when I unkeyed. I got no response to my radio check that time, but I tried a different repeater and got a response there. The repeater is about 15 miles from my location, so not terrible for about half a watt (or less) on VHF. There's no power difference whether I have it set to high or low power on VHF frequencies.

As for the other bands, the meter shows 0.0W when I try transmitting on 10m, 6m, or 1.25m bands into a dummy load. I still can't recommend transmitting on the 2m band, since the radio isn't designed for that. But, in an emergency, it's nice to know that this is possible.
    Alright, here's the deal:
    It's important to keep our phones up to date. Ulefone doesn't seem to want to support updates to Android 10 or 11. Also, we paid extra for the walkie talkie function, I think we should be able to use it on the latest Roms.

So, I pulled the Intercom app from the Atom XL, which comes with Android 10. I found which libraries and binaries are necessary to run the app on the Armor 3WT. Threw all that into a magisk module along with a few modifications and signed it with Havoc's platform keys, and here we are. It receives, it transmits, it saves audio. It's not perfect, I would say it's about 85% functional.

Issues:
    1) Hardware PTT button does not work.
    2) The extmodule service does not start on boot.

Instructions:
    Here are the steps to use the magisk module:
    1) Flash an Android 10 GSI and Magisk. reboot and setup your ROM.
    2) Install magisk module and reboot.
    3) Go to app settings for Intercom. Grant Microphone and Storage permission. Turn off battery optimization for Intercom.
    4) open a terminal emulator (install from Play store or F-Droid)
    5) type 'su -c extmodule' (this should show a few lines of output and then stay running)
    6) run the Intercom app.

Steps 4-6 need to be done after every reboot.

I'm not sure if I can help with any problems, but let me know of any other issues anyway. I take no responsibility for any issues. This is all experimental.