[Ulefone Power2][Solution] for INSUFFICIENT BUFFER or Status_Sec_IMGHDR_Type_Mismatch

Search This thread

sm00th4f3

So i wanted to flash a new firmware on my MTK Device (UleFone Power 2), but i ran into some Errors while doing so, thus , my phone died in the process.
Following Errors occurred, depending on which (SP Flash Tool;SPMultidownloadflashtool;etc) you use:

Errors:
Internal Buffer
STATUS_SEC_IMGHDR_TYPE_MISMATCH

Through digging and asking on the web, two wonderful and very very helpful people: alterogi and finally Sunray888
This solution popped up. Thank you so much to both of them!!

Solution:
But first: You are now warned, try this at your own risk.
Quoted from Sunray888, alterogi. Credits to them.
My German Guide (more detailed with Pictures): Outside of XDA

Side Note: For the UP2 Rom you use SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject , for the UK6P ROm you use SPFlashTool.
(Links & Attachments below!) (Adb-Fastboot.zip & Checksum.zip)

Part1:
1. Download all the files. (Below are the links and attached files.
2. Extract each zip to its own folder. Then Put the files of the Checksum.zip into the ROM Folder of the Ulefone Power 2.
3. Run the Checksum.exe and wait until it is done. It will show up in the black CMD when it's finished. A new Checksum.ini should be in the folder now.

Part2:
1. Make a backup of your NVRAM and NVDATA, a full ROM backup if you can.
2. Get the Oukitel K6000 Plus ROm Version 2.0 Ready. Extract it to its own folder somewhere on your desktop.
3. Open the SPFlashtool and select the android scatter file of the Oukitel Rom.
4. Connect your phone, hold Volume down and press on "Download" in the SPFlashTool. Now you wait for the process to end, WHILE still holding the button down.
5. After it is done flashing your new Firmware unto your phone, start it like you would normally do. Disconnect your phone now. You can now also skip the Setup Details, since we still have to flash the original Firmware.

6. Go to Device Infos on the bottom of your phone settings, tap a few times on Build Number until the Developer Options activate. Go back and tap on Developer Options.
7. In here you activate OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. Back to the pc: Now you open a CMD Windows and navigate to your extracted ADB-Fastboot Folder. (Some Pictures of this are on my German Tutorial Thread, Link above).
8.Connect your phone, tick the avaible spot of the upcoming new popup notification. Shutdown your phone now. Hold Volume Up and Power Button at the SAME Time until the Fastboot Menu pops up.
Make sure your phone is still connected to the pc.
9. In the cmd window you will now have to type the following thing: fastboot oem unlock

9.5 Another Method to get into fastboot mode: (OR enabled usb debug, accept connection between your PC and Ulephone and send command fastboot reboot bootloader after that "fastboot oem unlock")

10. After the process is done. You are still in fastboot mode.
And let the phone connected to the Pc.

11. Now you have to flash the original ROM/Firmware. In this case only Version 17 will work.
On this step i had a lot issues with "insufficient buffer"-Errors under SP Flash tool, but there is a solution for this.
Be careful :
Try to use #SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject Version 3.1620 - only this software worked for me,earlier Versions i tried ( v.3.1636 ) always showed an Error.
Current Status: Phone is still connected to pc, fastboot mode, oem has just been unlocked by yourself.
What to do now:
12 Open the SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject, load scatter file of the Ulefone Power 2 Firmware, then press scan. Nothing will happen now, so be quick: Don't disconnect your phone.
Press Volume Up + Power Button at the same time to simulate a new connection to the pc. While the phone is still connected via cable! We have to do this. You will now hear a sound which you normally would here when connecting a new device to your Pc. Now you just have to keep holding the Volume Up Key.

IMPORTANT:
Don't let go of the button until the Programm shows up a Green Tick which signals the end of the Process. Now you can let go of the button.

13. After the scan has finished, press start and flash firmware. But how? It's easy. Just do the same again. ->>
13.1 Press Start in the Flash Programm.

13.2 We have to simulate a new connection. Hold Vol+ and Power Button. Until you hear the sound again, now only keep holding the Vol+ Button.
14. Wait for the green Tick Notification. Until then: Don't you dare let go of the Vol+ Button. When it shows up, you're pretty much done. Congrats!
15. Restore NVRAM and NVDATA.[/I] through mtk engineering mode: open dialer and call *#*#3646633#*#* , scroll down to GRPS and type in your IMEI (can be found in the box, in which your phone came shipped with). If it says something like that it's successfully written.-> Activate Airplanemode, wait a few seconds, deactivate it, activate Mobile Data Connection and wait. It should show a mobile data active.

Download Links: (I didn't upload those files,i simply shared the links, all credits to their respective owners. Use at your own risk.!)
UP2 Rom: Google Drive
Flashtool for UP2 Rom: One Drive
UK6P 2.0 + Flashtool: Click me
Checksum Gen Zip: --Below--
ADB Components: --Below--

UPDATING:

After flashing V15 Ulefone Firmware, use the SP FLASH TOOL to flash the newest firmware via "Firmware Upgrade" mode. remember to keep pushing vol up before connecting phone!
How to:
Press Download in Tool
Push and hold vol up
Connect cable to pc.
wait until green tick shows up.
Profit.

Attachments

• Checksum.zip
    3 MB · Views: 1,062
  • ADBFastboot.rar
    524.9 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Reactions: doggy101

alterogi

Jan 15, 2009
Same situation here. I've tried flashing with and without battery, no success. I can confirm that I did NOT lock the bootloader. Not that it helps me much.

I've tried using different versions of SPFT in addition to the multiport tool, but they either don't work with Power 2 scatter file, or show the same error.

This can potentially be a driver / USB issue, so I will probably try that next (different computer, fiddle with the drivers). I've also seen claims that SPFT v3 can happily flash over this, and then newer versions start working too, so try that if you can. It did not work for me - the download never starts on my computer with v3.

I can also add that I can flash preloader as well, although I try and leave that off when possible. The modem and lk* partitions show the same error you have, though, and the phone is dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: sm00th4f3

alterogi

Jan 15, 2009
I have managed to resolve this with a lot of help from Vivanyok on 4pda.

2. Download Oukitel K6000 Plus ROM v2.0. Only this version will work.
3. Flash it. It will actually work just fine, no errors. I've used the latest SPFT.
4. Boot the phone into Android. In Developer Options, enable OEM Unlock.
5. Reboot into fastboot, do fastboot oem unlock.
6. After this, you can simply flash any Ulefone ROM for Power 2. Win!
7. Restore NVRAM and NVDATA.

Hope this helps somebody.

sm00th4f3

Thanks for your reply!! I will try that and report back :)! I'm so glad there are people out here who help :)!

EDIT: OMG, You are my hero!!! The Flash Process went just fine, no errors. It boots up. Thank you so much! Now i can flash like a devil again, haha :D

EDIT2: So i could use the phone with the oukitel rom but i want the original rom, firmware.
So here is the other Problem. I can't flash them. I either get insufficient buffer error or the imghdr error.

Could you link me what you are using? I really need the phone. Thanks for your help in advance.! :S

Last edited:

SUNRAY888

Oct 6, 2017
Hi sm00th4f3

I add some advices to Vivanyok instruction by red letters --->

3. Flash it. It will actually work just fine, no errors. I've used the latest SPFT.
OR enabled usb debug, accept connection between your PC and Ulephone and send command
fastboot reboot bootloader
after that
fastboot oem unlock

on this step i had a lot issue with insuffitient buffer under SP Flash tool, but yesterday i win too.
be careful :
after oem unlocking you should NOT reboot ulephone to Android,let phone stay connected to PC
try use #SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject version 3.1620 - only this soft help me,earlier i tried v.3.1636 but always error appear.
and when i started flashing i stayed ulephone connected to usb (i dont disconnect phone after oem unlocking) and i simulated connection by long press volume UP + Power buttons. You can control connection by default PC sound.
due in SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject other interface i did not change flashing type, it was firware update by default.
After that my ulefone become alive.

good luck, if any questions ask me on 4pda.ru

sm00th4f3

So, i tried your nice guide, and it finally worked!! Side Note is: After fastboot oem unlock you have to scan with the #SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject version 3.1620 your phone first, and then like you have already said, use the volume up+power button combo to simulate a connection. and then it will be flashed. Holy crap. Thank you so much!!.

bletru

Jun 18, 2010
Still same problem

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Hi there,
Thanks for the instructions. I have succeeded to install the Oukitel V2.0 ROM on my Ulefone Power 2 and change OEM in Android and fastboot but still no success to flash the final Ulefone Power 2 phone ROM from the Ulefone web site. The flash process starts but after two or three download steps the flash tool (3.1620 in administrator mode) stops still with the STATUS_SEC_IMGHDR_TYPE_MISMATCH error.

I have also tried with another ROM coming from another site, but still same error.

Could perhaps provide me a download link to a ROM that you successfully flashed to the Ulefone Power 2?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

sm00th4f3

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Hi there,
Thanks for the instructions. I have succeeded to install the Oukitel V2.0 ROM on my Ulefone Power 2 and change OEM in Android and fastboot but still no success to flash the final Ulefone Power 2 phone ROM from the Ulefone web site. The flash process starts but after two or three download steps the flash tool (3.1620 in administrator mode) stops still with the STATUS_SEC_IMGHDR_TYPE_MISMATCH error.

I have also tried with another ROM coming from another site, but still same error.

Could perhaps provide me a download link to a ROM that you successfully flashed to the Ulefone Power 2?

Thanks for your help

Look in your inbox, i wrote you a private message.

sumitmetakari5

Dec 16, 2017

Hi there,

Thanks for your help

That will help many others like me.please post the ule stock rom you flashed and the flash tool.

sumitmetakari5

Dec 16, 2017
Hi sm00th4f3

OR enabled usb debug, accept connection between your PC and Ulephone and send command
after that
fastboot oem unlock

on this step i had a lot issue with insuffitient buffer under SP Flash tool, but yesterday i win too.
be careful :
after oem unlocking you should NOT reboot ulephone to Android,let phone stay connected to PC
try use #SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject version 3.1620 - only this soft help me,earlier i tried v.3.1636 but always error appear.
and when i started flashing i stayed ulephone connected to usb (i dont disconnect phone after oem unlocking) and i simulated connection by long press volume UP + Power buttons. You can control connection by default PC sound.
due in SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject other interface i did not change flashing type, it was firware update by default.

cannot find the up2 rom which can be flashed after flashing Oukitel K6000 Plus ROM. Please help...

Last edited:

sm00th4f3

Download Links added. There shouldn't be any problems using my method as long as you think as well.
Be aware that you have to use the Flashtool i linked, the exact same Flashtool Version as mentioned. Otherwise go to my german thread outside of xda to get more detailed pics.

bad_ri

Oct 3, 2008
recovered! :)

Hello guys! Thanks for the instructions, it worked great! Only thing, the fastboot you supplied has an password, so I used another I found online.

I finally got time to take care of my bricked Power 2 phone, and I got it back to life using the Oukitel method.
The phone works great, I only had to input IMEI numbers manualy.
Is there a need to lock back the bootloader, because now my device says "orange state", your device cannot be trusted?

hm hm.... fastboot allows me to lock the bootloader, but then the phone would reset itself to factory state for security reasons, so I will leave my bootloader unlocked, as I don't want to go trough the phone app installation and getting the settings to my taste :)

Last edited:

sm00th4f3

i just updated the zip..there shouldn't be a password anymore. ^^
For us, there isn't really a need to lock the bootloader. Since we can simply install every ota update by downloading the new rom from external sites. Just a reminder: don't use the ota update app since it will brick or just not work, since your bootloader is unlocked.

Reactions: bad_ri

bad_ri

Oct 3, 2008
ULEPHON POWER 2

Oukitel k6000 Plus Roma- ok

SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject verziju 3.1620 FL-OK, DL FAIL ???? HELP HELP
[email protected]

don't forget to enable oem unlock (bootloader isn't unlocked yet after you do this)
then fast boot the phone with oukitel rom, unlock the bootloader with adb fast boot unlock
don't let go of the vol button while flashing the phone with multiport flash tools
don't use ulepfhone original cable, mine was not working ok although there was no visual damage to the cable. I used another one that fit the usb port on the phone more firmly

Last edited:

sm00th4f3

don't forget to enable oem unlock (bootloader isn't unlocked yet after you do this)
then fast boot the phone with oukitel rom, unlock the bootloader with adb fast boot unlock
don't let go of the vol button while flashing the phone with multiport flash tools
don't use ulepfhone original cable, mine was not working ok although there was no visual damage to the cable. I used another one that fit the usb port on the phone more firmly

The Original Cable is fine...the problem might only be with yours.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi sm00th4f3

after that
    fastboot oem unlock

be careful :

ULEPHON POWER 2

Oukitel k6000 Plus Roma- ok

SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject verziju 3.1620 FL-OK, DL FAIL ???? HELP HELP
    [email protected]

So i wanted to flash a new firmware on my MTK Device (UleFone Power 2), but i ran into some Errors while doing so, thus , my phone died in the process.
    Following Errors occurred, depending on which (SP Flash Tool;SPMultidownloadflashtool;etc) you use:

Errors:
    Internal Buffer
    STATUS_SEC_IMGHDR_TYPE_MISMATCH

Through digging and asking on the web, two wonderful and very very helpful people: alterogi and finally Sunray888
    This solution popped up. Thank you so much to both of them!!

Solution:
    But first: You are now warned, try this at your own risk.
    Quoted from Sunray888, alterogi. Credits to them.
    My German Guide (more detailed with Pictures): Outside of XDA

Side Note: For the UP2 Rom you use SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject , for the UK6P ROm you use SPFlashTool.
    (Links & Attachments below!) (Adb-Fastboot.zip & Checksum.zip)

Part1:
    1. Download all the files. (Below are the links and attached files.
    2. Extract each zip to its own folder. Then Put the files of the Checksum.zip into the ROM Folder of the Ulefone Power 2.
    3. Run the Checksum.exe and wait until it is done. It will show up in the black CMD when it's finished. A new Checksum.ini should be in the folder now.

Part2:
    2. Get the Oukitel K6000 Plus ROm Version 2.0 Ready. Extract it to its own folder somewhere on your desktop.
    3. Open the SPFlashtool and select the android scatter file of the Oukitel Rom.
    4. Connect your phone, hold Volume down and press on "Download" in the SPFlashTool. Now you wait for the process to end, WHILE still holding the button down.
    5. After it is done flashing your new Firmware unto your phone, start it like you would normally do. Disconnect your phone now. You can now also skip the Setup Details, since we still have to flash the original Firmware.

6. Go to Device Infos on the bottom of your phone settings, tap a few times on Build Number until the Developer Options activate. Go back and tap on Developer Options.
    7. In here you activate OEM Unlock and USB Debugging. Back to the pc: Now you open a CMD Windows and navigate to your extracted ADB-Fastboot Folder. (Some Pictures of this are on my German Tutorial Thread, Link above).
    8.Connect your phone, tick the avaible spot of the upcoming new popup notification. Shutdown your phone now. Hold Volume Up and Power Button at the SAME Time until the Fastboot Menu pops up.
    Make sure your phone is still connected to the pc.
    9. In the cmd window you will now have to type the following thing: fastboot oem unlock

9.5 Another Method to get into fastboot mode: (OR enabled usb debug, accept connection between your PC and Ulephone and send command fastboot reboot bootloader after that "fastboot oem unlock")

10. After the process is done. You are still in fastboot mode.
    And let the phone connected to the Pc.

11. Now you have to flash the original ROM/Firmware. In this case only Version 17 will work.
    On this step i had a lot issues with "insufficient buffer"-Errors under SP Flash tool, but there is a solution for this.
    Be careful :
    Try to use #SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject Version 3.1620 - only this software worked for me,earlier Versions i tried ( v.3.1636 ) always showed an Error.
    Current Status: Phone is still connected to pc, fastboot mode, oem has just been unlocked by yourself.
    What to do now:
    12 Open the SPMultiPortFlashDownloadProject, load scatter file of the Ulefone Power 2 Firmware, then press scan. Nothing will happen now, so be quick: Don't disconnect your phone.
    Press Volume Up + Power Button at the same time to simulate a new connection to the pc. While the phone is still connected via cable! We have to do this. You will now hear a sound which you normally would here when connecting a new device to your Pc. Now you just have to keep holding the Volume Up Key.

IMPORTANT:
    Don't let go of the button until the Programm shows up a Green Tick which signals the end of the Process. Now you can let go of the button.

13. After the scan has finished, press start and flash firmware. But how? It's easy. Just do the same again. ->>
    13.1 Press Start in the Flash Programm.

13.2 We have to simulate a new connection. Hold Vol+ and Power Button. Until you hear the sound again, now only keep holding the Vol+ Button.
    14. Wait for the green Tick Notification. Until then: Don't you dare let go of the Vol+ Button. When it shows up, you're pretty much done. Congrats!
    15. Restore NVRAM and NVDATA.[/I] through mtk engineering mode: open dialer and call *#*#3646633#*#* , scroll down to GRPS and type in your IMEI (can be found in the box, in which your phone came shipped with). If it says something like that it's successfully written.-> Activate Airplanemode, wait a few seconds, deactivate it, activate Mobile Data Connection and wait. It should show a mobile data active.

Download Links: (I didn't upload those files,i simply shared the links, all credits to their respective owners. Use at your own risk.!)
    UP2 Rom: Google Drive
    Flashtool for UP2 Rom: One Drive
    UK6P 2.0 + Flashtool: Click me
    Checksum Gen Zip: --Below--
    ADB Components: --Below--

UPDATING:

After flashing V15 Ulefone Firmware, use the SP FLASH TOOL to flash the newest firmware via "Firmware Upgrade" mode. remember to keep pushing vol up before connecting phone!
    How to:
    Press Download in Tool
    Push and hold vol up
    Connect cable to pc.
    wait until green tick shows up.
    Profit.
    Same situation here. I've tried flashing with and without battery, no success. I can confirm that I did NOT lock the bootloader. Not that it helps me much.

I've tried using different versions of SPFT in addition to the multiport tool, but they either don't work with Power 2 scatter file, or show the same error.

This can potentially be a driver / USB issue, so I will probably try that next (different computer, fiddle with the drivers). I've also seen claims that SPFT v3 can happily flash over this, and then newer versions start working too, so try that if you can. It did not work for me - the download never starts on my computer with v3.

I can also add that I can flash preloader as well, although I try and leave that off when possible. The modem and lk* partitions show the same error you have, though, and the phone is dead.
    Brumen1

Read the thread, it's not that difficult.

Thanks, I succeeded