• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

sak500

Sep 9, 2011
Dubai
MY phone died two days ago GTI9300
but i still get in to the download mode
I read all the threads but there is no actual solution of how to revive it
I tried with the new update through odin but still the PIT thing won't pass
please I have a very important data and info in my phone I need to restore them my career depends on it....:crying:
Strange that you have no backup of your phone even if your career depended on it. And this sudden death thread had been going on for more than month and a half and you still didn't deem fit to make a backup.

If your's is same as SDS then forget about your data as till date the only solution had been mainboard replacement which meant your data is on the old mainboard and somewhere in samsung's huge pile of rubbish.

UncleBeer

Jul 11, 2008
Strange that you have no backup of your phone even if your career depended on it. And this sudden death thread had been going on for more than month and a half and you still didn't deem fit to make a backup.
Kies never makes a proper backup. Never. And in order to make a proper backup, one must be rooted. Samsung's made it so that we have to fear merely rooting our phones (so no Titanium either) because the S3 will 'commit suicide' and then we won't have recourse to warranty service because we rooted.

Catch 22. :eek:.

Reactions: moujibzinc

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Kies never makes a proper backup. Never. And in order to make a proper backup, one must be rooted. Samsung's made it so that we have to fear merely rooting our phones (so no Titanium either) because the S3 will 'commit suicide' and then we won't have recourse to warranty service because we rooted.

Then you really shouldn't be depending on a phone to hold your entire career up. I'm not trying to make a mockery out of anyone, but use Dropbox or something next time. Your phone should be an extension of your work space, not a replacement for your entire work space itself.

InfX

May 1, 2008

What about an adb backup? I've never tried it myself (i am rooted, so there isn't much point), but it is supposed to pretty much everything, except the internal sd card data that can be copied over.

sak500

Sep 9, 2011
Dubai

You can make backups of your sms/call logs/contacts/emails/apps and what not without rooting. If somebody's career is at risk of losing data on a cellphone then i'm sure he would be more responsible about keeping a backup. Phone can not only brick but be lost or stolen as well.

UncleBeer

Jul 11, 2008
you really shouldn't be depending on a phone to hold your entire career up. I'm not trying to make a mockery out of anyone
MY career certainly doesn't depend on it. A previous poster made this comment, and I merely remarked on how difficult Samsung has made it to make a proper backup. Nothing more.

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
MY career certainly doesn't depend on it. A previous poster made this comment, and I merely remarked on how difficult Samsung has made it to make a proper backup. Nothing more.
I never said you :) I was referring to him but I guess I should have been more specific. I do agree with you though.

I really hope Samsung hurries the hell up and lets us know if the update fixes the issue or not, because as of now I'm very skeptical that it does anything but makes it easier to void our warranty. My calls work again, randomly, so for now the only issue is the fact that my phone may die permanently.

krisse5844

Dec 25, 2011
My phone is from 07/2012 en never had reboots or strange other things on the phone .
Did a lot of overnight charges ( with original charger and USB cable ) and stays very well .

Fingers crossed !

I checked the HW rev. => MP 1.100

I read some post telling "after x days " , mostly 200 ? What does it means => SDS @ 180 / 200 days ?

Running on stock android 4.1.1

AP : I9300XXDLIH
CP: I9300CEDLI1
CSC : I9300PHNDLI1

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
My phone is from 07/2012 en never had reboots or strange other things on the phone .
Did a lot of overnight charges ( with original charger and USB cable ) and stays very well .

Fingers crossed !

I checked the HW rev. => MP 1.100

I read some post telling "after x days " , mostly 200 ? What does it means => SDS @ 180 / 200 days ?

Running on stock android 4.1.1

AP : I9300XXDLIH
CP: I9300CEDLI1
CSC : I9300PHNDLI1
It means it died 180 days into the expected 200 days.

jvc73

Jul 4, 2011
Pavia, Italy
That might just be because there aren't many 64gb S3s out in the wild anyway. Hard to tell really. I'd also be willing to make a wager that most people who buy the 64gb don't bother googling what's wrong with their phone and just send it in for repair.
I have a 32GB and am following.
64s for sure are very few.
The flash is on mine is VWU00M, production date quite old, 06/2012.

Upgraded to 4.1.2 from Kies, bootloader is still old (checked via adb shell).

Will be at the 150 days mark next month.
Never used the charger in the box, still using the i9000 charger.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

jonny68

Mar 27, 2010
Dublin
No offence to anyone but i personally would take onboard what Entropy says out of anyone, as a long time user of these forums I know him to be extremely knowledgeable more so than most.

My phone is currently in for repairs at www.fonemenders.ie but i cant even track the ****ing status of where it's at as that part of the website isn't working :'(, im lost here without my phone, big Samsung fan but am seriously wondering if I'll get the S4 in case **** like this happens again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have a 32GB and am following.
64s for sure are very few.
The flash is on mine is VWU00M, production date quite old, 06/2012.

Upgraded to 4.1.2 from Kies, bootloader is still old (checked via adb shell).

Will be at the 150 days mark next month.
Never used the charger in the box, still using the i9000 charger.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
I use a Galaxy S2 charger and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 charger, mainly because I'm in the US and lost the converter for the included European charger. HOPEFULLY's it's the charger but I'm not so sure.

LenAsh

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 20, 2011
Midlands, UK
Not sure whether the Hardware version has a bearing on longevity (there are at least 3 versions - mine is a later 1.3 version with Broadcom WiFi, for instance)

And as the CPU is a later stepping, all the stock CPU voltages are lower...

Last edited:

Werckmeister

Jun 9, 2012
Hello, could someone help let me know what is my best course of action? My Galaxy SIII just died out of the blue just last month. Is this what they call the sudden death syndrome? And I have a big problem since I'm out of the country and don't know how to get it fixed.

1. What happened: It was working fine back on Dec 20th and I put it in my pocket, then when I take it out after a taxi ride it was completely dead. Won't turn on, won't charge, zero. Dead. For no reason.
2. Where phone was made: I bought it in Berlin, but I won't go back to Germany until last Jan (have been in Asia for work for over 3 months now - and for some vacation)
3. Where battery was made: it says cell made in Korea, assembled in China
4. What firmware you were running: 4.1 Jelly Bean, updated via Samsung Kies
5. Can you access download mode? No, it is completely dead

My problem is multiple folds:

a) I bought the phone in July 2012 in Berlin. But since October I've been in Asia for work, and won't go back til late January (and will only be back for 1 week).
b) I took the phone to the Samsung customer service in both Taipei and Bangkok. They both verified and said the mainboard is totally dead. BUT they said they cannot do anything with it because it's a German board! So the only way I can fix it is to go back to Germany. This is ridiculous - I thought it's supposed to be a worldwide warranty????
c) Will I have enough time (just one week) to fix it back in Germany if I have only 1 week? And I checked the German message boards and they said I'd have to ship it to the Samsung center.... Which is bad news since there's no way it will get back to me in 1 week. I won't be back to Berlin again until April.
d) Another issue is that the screen is quite visibly cracked. But it cracked back in July (one week after I bought it - I know, I know, but I dropped it!), and for the last 5 months it worked fine, until this sudden death thingy. I have proof since I took photos of the phone back in July showing that it still worked even with cracks. But will the Samsung service center give me hell for it and refuse to fix it?

Sorry for the questions but at this point I'm so unhappy with Samsung's service that I'm ready to just throw this SIII out and get another phone completely. Luckily my blackberry still works, otherwise I'd be totally phoneless. Too bad there aren't a lot of options outside of Samsung, especially with Nexus 4 so backordered....

Last edited:

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry for the questions but at this point I'm so unhappy with Samsung's service that I'm ready to just throw this SIII out and get another phone completely. Too bad there aren't a lot of options, especially with Nexus 4 so backordered....
Minus the cracked screen and living in Asia (I'm in the US), I have the same issue with Samsung. I know for a fact that Samsung UK told me it could be fixed in any EU/UK country and it comes with a 2 year warranty. The first time I got it fixed I had to pay to ship it to Germany. Took me about a month or more to get it back. I had the same issue come back (no audio only in calls; it was real hardware failure that required a new board). The 2nd time it came back on New Years Eve (with the new board I might add -_-) and magically went away a few hours ago today. But yes, I pretty much would have had to pay again to ship it and wait for it to get fixed. Granted, it's not dead yet, but I'm expecting it.

It's supposed to be an international warranty, so I don't know. The US Galaxy S3's have different parts internally (Snapdragon S4 instead of Exynos Quad), so that's a legitimate reason why it can't be repaired here under normal circumstances.

Werckmeister

Jun 9, 2012
It's supposed to be an international warranty, so I don't know. The US Galaxy S3's have different parts internally (Snapdragon S4 instead of Exynos Quad), so that's a legitimate reason why it can't be repaired here under normal circumstances.
Yes, the Samsung customer service guy in Bangkok said the same thing - that he genuinely didn't have the German board so he couldn't replace it. But this leaves me in a bad situation since I travel so much so I'm never in one place. So I can't just ship it back to Germany for a month because within that month I won't be back to wherever I shipped it from anymore.... this is so incredibly frustrating. It makes me even think that maybe it's best to just get an iphone (and I HATE iphones), but one thing Apple does right is the customer service part.

krisse5844

Dec 25, 2011
Yes, the Samsung customer service guy in Bangkok said the same thing - that he genuinely didn't have the German board so he couldn't replace it. But this leaves me in a bad situation since I travel so much so I'm never in one place. So I can't just ship it back to Germany for a month because within that month I won't be back to wherever I shipped it from anymore.... this is so incredibly frustrating. It makes me even think that maybe it's best to just get an iphone (and I HATE iphones), but one thing Apple does right is the customer service part.
Can't you send it to Germany for repair and return it to a friend , nearby family,... . If the phone returned in repaired condition to your friend or family,... , they could it re-send it to your "new" adress ?

Last edited:

T0xic4u

Nov 6, 2012
@Werkmeister

Where Do you live and where are you now? My advise: send the phone to w-support or dat-repair in germany. Both have good reputations and fix Phones within a week. Send it to one of them and let it be resend to your Home.

Taper di Tap von meinem Smarty