**Ultimate GS3 sudden death thread**

tsjoe2

Dec 11, 2010
K mine died the other night its made in Korea battery made in Vietnam i was running cm 10.1 on it its blue bote in the USA on T-Mobile i was in recovery flashing an update an hocked up to a charger an it never came back up if you need more info please let me know oh an its not even a month of use on it three weeks that's it. Grrr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dajumper

Jun 28, 2008
What we know so far, is that sudden death has nothing to do with:

-Rooted or non rooted phone
-Stock or non stock kernel
-Custom roms
-Branded phones or unlocked phones
-Heavy duty user or light user with 10 apps installed.
-Original charger or USB charger or any charger for that matter
-Temperature, phones have gone dead in ice cold Sweden and hot Brazil.
-Only quad core phones are affected. The International version. So far US phones are not affected like the Euro phones.

Most phones have died before 200 days of use
Samsung has not admitted there is a mainboard fault, however Samsung repairs all phones on warranty, except those who are accused of waterclogging.
Most dead phones are from the first batch of hardware 1.1 and down.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
How to check witch hardware I have?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

It is also bad luck a lot of people have a good phone! Look it is a mass production! And like by cars there are some faults and this also like the cracked bezel

drraptor

Mar 9, 2012
My friend had same
Was working fine till he slept, In morning it was dead. Later on i have check it and No recovery/download mode. Still in service center and said need to change Mobo.
Rooted (CF Auto)
Purchased from -India
Stock ROM and Kernel (latest Indian)
Battery and charger : stock

Just one odd sign, friend was complaining of quite lagging since couple of days, even it was recently clean installed just a week ago and very few application installed. May be it could be coincidence.
It is a know symptom of SDS.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

How to check witch hardware I have?

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

It is also bad luck a lot of people have a good phone! Look it is a mass production! And like by cars there are some faults and this also like the cracked bezel

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en download this app and take a screenshot. Please don't post if your phone is not showing any symptoms. :)

JepeP

Dec 23, 2012
It is a know symptom of SDS.

Yes, its common, but noch allways. There are many phones which had none of this symptoms before they died.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.vinagre.android.emmc_check&hl=en download this app and take a screenshot. Please don't post if your phone is not showing any symptoms. :)
When your phone is dead this app is useless ...
When its still alive its also useless because it is not predictive and tells you nothing about probalility of "sudden death".

shethsa

Dec 23, 2010
Mumbai
My friend had same
Was working fine till he slept, In morning it was dead. Later on i have check it and No recovery/download mode. Still in service center and said need to change Mobo.
Rooted (CF Auto)
Purchased from -India
Stock ROM and Kernel (latest Indian)
Battery and charger : stock

Just one odd sign, friend was complaining of quite lagging since couple of days, even it was recently clean installed just a week ago and very few application installed. May be it could be coincidence.
Dr - what did the service center do finally? Free replacement? Or did they resort to the familiar excuse of water logging.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OrangeRafi

Nov 28, 2010
Melbourne
Checked my brothers S3, his phone has an HW Rev of MP 1.500. He bought his S3 2 weeks ago. Any ideas why samsung changed the HW Rev.?

My S3 has an HW Rev MP 1.100, bought it last month & still running

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: semantsen

semantsen

Jul 22, 2012
Checked my brothers S3, his phone has an HW Rev of MP 1.500. He bought his S3 2 weeks ago. Any ideas why samsung changed the HW Rev.?

My S3 has an HW Rev MP 1.100, bought it last month & still running

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
how to check hardware version?
Thanks,

wrexed03

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Mine died yesterday Christmas day. My battery was running low till it eventually ran out.
When i got home i put it on charge. Nothing happened. Left it overnight no change.
Pulled the battery and re inserted it and attempted again. Still dead no lights nothing.
Bought another battery today still no change.
Charger is ok because i have an SII which happily charges with the same unit.
I was running omega rom v35 and the latest SiyahKernel S3-v1.8.6
I dont like my chances of Samsung sorting it because i have a small crack in the glass near the ear piece..
Phone is made in Korea by Samsung.
Battery is also made in Korea.
This is an unbranded phone and unlocked. Purchased in Melbourne Australia.
Not happy but what can you do.
Regards

dimi22

Jun 4, 2008
Netherlands
Very strange.... though i think it could have something to do with bad software frying the cpu or mmc.

Yesterday i got an update of samsung push service and today i got an update of samsung chaton? :( are they trying to fix something on the background ??

g0t-cheeri0s

Apr 21, 2012
Another man down! My friend's s3 died three or four days ago. Completely stock and only two months old. Turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on. No charging LED, no USB connection. Dead.

He took it to 02 and they're sending it to Samsung for repair.

Just patiently waiting for it to happen to mine so I can claim on insurance and get a Nexus 4 :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

gurg1e

Apr 22, 2011
Mine died last week, i purchased it online so i sent it back in to be warrantied on Monday. International model, died charging overnight, it had just cracked 101 days use...

Bummer of an Xmas present. After the whole Exynos bullsh!t and now this, i'm seriously considering selling the replacement and picking up a Nexus 4 too.

tsitska

Sep 7, 2012
Tbilisi
My S3 died also, after charging on night, after using 4 month.
Stock kernel and Rom,
Phone and Battery are made in Vietnam.

no reaction on power button,

finally what is reason of this sudden death?
NAND flash? or the only way is replacement main board?

Parvinder25

Jul 31, 2011
San Jose
This is Bull****. A flagship product from Samsung performing this way in just couple of months of purchase. And no one coming out to claim responsibility. Bs. I am going to spread the word to others not to go for s3 until something concrete is done by samsuck. :mad: