• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Ultimate LG L9 P769 (US TMOBILE) Guide

Search This thread

Sadcamp

Apr 20, 2014
Bucharest
If any download links for the KDZ, video, Flashing software, etc. go down, please message me on Steam (sadcamp) asking me to put them back up.

Ultimate LG L9 P769BK (US TMOBILE) Compilation Guide

YES, SORRY, THIS IS A GUIDE FOR WINDOWS SKIDS ONLY ;)

Hey, friends and developing friends. If you don't know me, and I'm fairly sure you don't, my name is Sadcamp. I've been a lurker who has benefited from the XDA forums for a long time. I've had 3 devices, HTC One S, LG P769, and LG D415. Currently using the two LG phones I have. That doesn't matter, though. Since I benefited from modding my phones so much that they've become very effective in all aspects; I decided I would like to give back during this wonderful holiday season. This is a compilation of all the tools and guides I've used to make my LG L9 P769BK an effective phone. This guide WILL NOT INCLUDE an unlocked boot-loader. I haven't seemed to find that, but I have found pretty much everything else.
Disclaimer: As always, I'm not responsible for what YOU DO TO YOUR OWN DEVICE. Use this guide at your own risk. It might work for me, but there is always that small chance that it might not work for you. Doubt it's there, but nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

This guide will include:
Part 1. Flashing the phone with its STOCK ROM.
-Chapter 1: New Phone
-Chapter 2: Phone is completely wiped and ready for the Stock ROM.
-Chapter 3: [SOFT-BRICK] Phone boots up with LG Logo and "Security Error".

Part 2. Getting ALL the apps neccesary to give it amazing functionality.

Part 3. Rooting & SU & Busybox
-Chapter 1: Rooting the Phone
-Chapter 2: Installing SuperSU
-Chapter 3: Installing Busybox's components

Part 4. Custom Recovery (CWM)

5. Xposed
-Chapter 1: Installing the framework
-Chapter 2: Installing modules
-Chapter 3: Activating modules

6. Extra Useful Information

_/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\__/\_
PART 1.

CHAPTER 1. IF YOU GOT THIS NEW PHONE FROM A STORE OR WHATEVER, IF IT'S BRAND NEW AND YOU'RE READY TO START MODDING IT, SKIP RIGHT OVER TO PART TWO.

CHAPTER 2. MY DEVICE IS WIPED AND HAS NO ROM ON IT. I WANT TO INSTALL THE STOCK ROM.

Well then, let's begin. We're gonna have lots of fun.

Step 1. Acquiring the software needed to flash the Stock Rom.
I will include a download link to a software called "LG Flash Tool 2014". The software is very minimal and has a success rate of 100%. If not, try again. If it just doesn't work for you, go dig for a guide that you think may work for you, because I did and it took me forever to get this up.

Step 2. Acquiring the Stock Rom.
Here's the DL to the Stock Rom.

Step 3. Putting your phone into S/W mode.
Have a micro-USB, your phone, and your computer handy with you.
First, hold ONLY the volume up button on the phone, then plug in the Micro USB. Continue holding the volume up button until the S/W Upgrade screen shows. Then you can let go.

After this step, There's no point in touching your phone for the rest of this chapter.

Step 4. Using the software.
Watch this video.

Step 5. After using the software.
After the software has done it's magic, it should have booted up just like it would have straight out of the box. Literally. You're now good to go to part 2.

Chapter 3. MY DEVICE IS BRICKED AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO OMG IS IT USELESS ASDFHARGA.
Trust me, do not worry. I use to think the same thing, and I left my device untouched for months because I thought it was un-recoverable. This probably occurred because this specific device has a locked boot-loader and a very complicated algorithm that prevents us from flashing custom recoveries like normal people do. So, you probably have "Security Error" when you boot your phone up. No biggie. That just means that something attempted to compromise the boot-loader and it worked, but the modified code breaks the boot so it doesn't start up.

TL;DR, Simple boot problem. You will still have ALL the data you had before attempting to flash something on this device.

Step 0.5. Acquiring Stock ROM and LG Flashing Software. (.zips)

Step 1. Put the phone into S/W Mode.
Have a micro-USB, your phone, and your computer handy with you.
First, hold ONLY the volume up button on the phone, then plug in the Micro USB. Continue holding the volume up button until the S/W Upgrade screen shows. Then you can let go.

After this step, There's no point in touching your phone for the rest of this chapter.

Step 2. Using the software.
Watch this video.

Step 3. Finished.
The phone should boot up just as normal. Here's the condition. Your root is gone, your custom recovery is gone, all your SystemUI mods are gone, pretty much everything you did with Root is gone. All the Root apps and everything is still there, you just need to get Root again and go through the long process of re-modding your entire system.

TL;DR. Your Root, Recovery, and mods are gone. All your Apps, Data, etc. are still there, but all the preloaded software is back, and ready to be deleted again. Just after you root your phone, again.

Continue to Part 2.

Part 2. Loading up your system with some of (my picks) the best apps. By the time you read this, most of these apps will probably be outdated, but these are just if you don't have the time and patience to get all the apps from the Play Store and want to do it here and now.

Here is a link to a .zip with all the good apps you will need to get yourselves through the next parts.

This package includes (the free versions):

The Root Browser
LGPwn.apk (to root your system)
L9RecoveryInstaller (to install a recovery without having to soft-brick your phone)
Supersu.apk (for the binaries and stoofs)
BusyBox (because you need it in order to do half, if not, most of the things you do with root.)

After you unpacked, copied all these apps onto your newly-flashed phone, and have installed them all, continue on to PARTE DE TRES.

Part 3. Rooting, SU, and Busybox.

This is by far one of the most important sections in this guide, because if you screw up here, who knows what might happen to your device because you accidentally forgot to install something or un-check a small box you didn't notice. Aside from that, let's get the hell to it.

Chapter 1: Rooting.
So, I assume you have installed LGPwn.apk. Well, open that app. It will open a dialog box, you don't need to read any of that because I will describe everything in detail here.

Step 1. Open LGPwn and hit RootMe.
(It opens the Backup app.)

Step 2. Click RESTORE, then select INTERNAL STORAGE.

Step 3. Click Lgpwn, and start the restore.
What it does is basically gets a system snapshot and just inserts the root into the system of the backup file. When the restore completes, it should automatically reboot the phone. You can check now, it probably has root. If it doesn't, try again.

Go to Chapter 2 of Part 3.

Chapter 2. SU/SuperSU.
You basically need this app in order to manage who has all these superuser permissions and at what elevated permissions they can use it. Plus the hell loads of other options the app has been optimized for our pleasure.

Step 1. Install SuperSU.
Self Explanatory.
Step 2. Open it and update the binary. Please, for the love of god, update it using the Normal Install. It will take only a few seconds, and bam, you have it all updated and ready to go. See additional options in Settings.

Go to Chapter 3 of Part 3.

Chapter 3. Busybox.
This badassery contains, basically, a bunch of commands that helps optimize what you can use in your system. It over-all just optimizes your system to be more compatible with the hundreds of apps that require BusyBox. It's very worth it. Plus, we're going to need this in order to get our CWM Recovery on.
Step 1. Install Busybox.
Don't even need to comment here. Too late for that though.

Step 2. Open it up, and grant it SuperUser permission using the awesome app we just installed to organize those permissions.

Step 3. Simply press Install at the bottom left and do nothing more until it has successfully installed. If it failed, close the app and restart it. Try again. If it continues to fail, make sure you granted it superuser permission and all. When it's done, well, you're ready for the world of modding ahead of you.

Go to Part 4.

Part 4. CWM Custom Recovery. Probably not the most up-to-date CWM Recovery, but sufficient enough for your basic wiping and .zip installing needs. I have not tested other ROM installation through it, so I will not teach that here, since it may be unstable because of the locked boot-loader. You do that at your own risk. If you soft brick it or wipe your device and cant get it to work, Go to Part 1.

Step 1. Ensure that you have Root, SuperSU, and Busybox all installed and all their utilities (as mentioned in part 3) ready to go.

Step 2. Install L9 Recovery Installer and open it up.

Step 3. On default, it should say that it is not installed. Please, please, make sure you have the busybox utilities installed or THIS WILL NOT WORK. If you do, proceed and Install/Update the recovery.

Step 4. Hit CWM ICS/JB (stable), then Yes, Install recovery.

Step 5. Grant it SuperUser Permissions. In a matter of seconds, it should be finished. It will then say "Status Installed."

Info: When you boot up your phone, the bottom buttons will blink for a small period of time. That period of time is the time you have to boot into Recovery, by holding down the Lower Volume button whilst they are blinking.

Ensure that recovery is installed.

Then, move on to Part 5, almost there guys!

Part 5. Xposed Framework.
The Xposed Framework is an app, just like busybox, that uses utilities and commands to optimize customization, speed, and well, you know, Android stuffs. It contains hundreds of user-made applications that use the framework to, as mentioned, customize the shell and all.
Lets dig in.

Chapter 1: Installing Framework

Step 1. Download and Install the Xposed Framework app from repo.xposed.info
Step 2. Click on the Framework button in the app. Read the warning dialog box carefully.
Step 3. Install/Update the framework. Grant it Superuser permissions, and it should install them in a matter of seconds. You will be prompted to reboot, help yourself and do so.
Go to Chapter 2.

Chapter 2: Installing Mods.

Go ahead and do whatever you want with the mods. Just know that once you give them superuser permission and activate them through Xposed, unless you ask them to prompt SU permissions every time they try to make a change, they will have complete utter control to make any change they want without you knowing. For the most part, that shouldn't happen, so happy modding. Just warning you guys incase.

Chapter 3: Activating Mods.

The app will prompt you to activate and reboot the mods you install. If you don't do this, they won't work. Just saying.

There you go. The entire guide on how to Flash the Stock ROM, Root, install recovery, and Xposed too. Enjoy the hell out of your optimized device.

Extra Info:
1. HATE THAT PESKY QSLIDE BAR IN THE NOTIFICATION SCREEN THAT JUST TAKES UP SPACE? INSTALL THIS ZIP WITH RECOVERY AND IT GETS RID OF IT.
2. Get rid of ALL the preloaded apps you don't need with this Root System Uninstaller app.

If I am missing anything, or have made anything unclear in the slightest way, please message me so I can make corrections and add more information. No need for donations of any kind, this is all for you to love and enjoy.

Last edited: