Ultimate Pantech Discover/Magnus/P9090 Rooting & Modding Thread

Search This thread
AT&T Pantech Discover / Pantech Magnus / Pantech P9090

This thread will contain all info, resources, and tutorials about hacking and modifying your Pantech Discover. As our device shares much of its hardware with the One XL & Galaxy S III, I was able to port some things to our device. Not much, but some.

Useful Links

Pantech Discover ICS Kernel Source

Rooting Your Device

This method is very manual and very messy, hopefully I'll discover an easier method but for now this is the only way to do it.

1. Download the HTC One X ClockworkMod Recovery img.

2. Download the Superuser apk and the su binary, and copy them both to your sdcard (internal sd).

2. Turn off your phone. Hold down both volume buttons while pressing the power button to turn it on again. You'll get to a screen where you can use the volume keys to select fastboot mode, and press power to select it.

3. Once in fastboot mode, plug your device into your computer, and ensure that fastboot detects it.

4. Run the command "fastboot boot recovery-evita.img" to boot into the recovery.

5. Your device will stay at a blank screen, leave it plugged into your computer and wait about a minute for the computer to detect an "HTC device" in ADB recovery mode.

6. Type "adb shell", you should be presented with the # symbol, indicating that you have root access.

7. Run these commands to mount your partitions and copy the root files to your /system partition.

Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /data
mount /data/media /sdcard
cd /sdcard
cp Superuser.apk /system/app/
cp su /system/xbin/
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

8. At this point, you can exit the adb shell and type 'adb reboot' to boot back into your ROM. You should see the Superuser app in your app drawer, open it to confirm you have root!

----------------------------------------

Partition Info/Dump, Custom Recovery Progress

The Pantech Discover has a total of 26 partitions in /dev/block, and they are as follows.

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      524kB   67.6MB  67.1MB  fat16        modem
 2      67.6MB  69.2MB  1573kB               sbl1
 3      69.2MB  70.8MB  1573kB               sbl2
 4      70.8MB  72.4MB  1573kB               sbl3
 5      72.4MB  75.0MB  2621kB               aboot
 6      75.0MB  76.5MB  1573kB               rpm
 7      77.1MB  86.5MB  9437kB               boot
 8      86.5MB  88.1MB  1573kB               tz
 9      88.1MB  88.6MB  524kB                pad
10      88.6MB  92.8MB  4194kB               rawdata
11      92.8MB  95.9MB  3146kB               modemst1
12      95.9MB  99.1MB  3146kB               modemst2
13      99.1MB  309MB   210MB   ext4         preload
14      309MB   1568MB  1258MB  ext4         system
15      1568MB  1569MB  1049kB               dummy
16      1569MB  1578MB  8389kB  ext4         persist
17      1578MB  1919MB  341MB   ext4         cache
18      1919MB  2187MB  268MB                tombstones
19      2187MB  2188MB  1049kB               misc
20      2189MB  2199MB  10.5MB               recovery
21      2200MB  2203MB  3146kB               fsg
22      2203MB  2204MB  524kB                ssd
23      2204MB  2225MB  21.0MB  fat16        log
24      2225MB  2277MB  52.4MB               fota
25      2278MB  15.6GB  13.4GB  ext4         userdata
26      15.6GB  15.6GB  5226kB               grow

Here is a link to a folder containing all of the partitions (excluding /data, obviously) to download. http://ul.to/f/hms3tr

Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to get CWM recovery running on this phone. I've dumped the recovery and built a CWM recovery image from the CM9 source, but the recovery.img that is produced does not boot properly. I've tried tons of different CWM recoveries for tons of different devices, and the only one that was successful was the evita CWM recovery.

Since there is no bootloader unlock for this phone, fastboot can't flash any partitions. I've attempted to dd multiple different recovery images to the recovery partition, but after a reboot the dd doesn't stick and the device boots into its original recovery. Maybe there needs to be something changed in the boot.img as well?

My custom ROM

Due to my inability to get CWM running in any form, CM9/10 is impossible so far. So, I've done the next best thing and manually decompiled and modded the stock ROM's framework/SystemUI. I gave the system an AOSP look with resources from the MattedBlues AOSP theme. As there is no way to provide a flashable zip with either my modded ROM or an installer for my theme, the best I can do is provide my system.img that you can download and dd to your system partition (dd if=systemTheme.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14). So, here's my themed system.img.

Screenshots

CFFVL2h.png

Bi0TA0k.png

UP600lN.png

GiCFNNV.png

xd6kdVW.png

nAROZ4F.png

Last edited:

jstnmlls

Jan 23, 2013
so i just switched to android from iphone. jailbreaking is what im used to.

sorry for being a noob or whatever.

i followed these directions. i get to where my phone goes black and then nothing. adb doesn't see any htc device. i like this phone. i want to unleash it unto the world... but alas im stuck at black.

any help would be fantastic.

thanks

mikey199

Apr 19, 2012
Cedar Rapids

i followed these directions. i get to where my phone goes black and then nothing. adb doesn't see any htc device. i like this phone. i want to unleash it unto the world... but alas im stuck at black.

thanks

Download pdanet for drivers probably. This link might help http://www.topnotchtablets.com/installADBdriver

Sent from my PantechP9070

Reactions: celljunky153

thanks

Download pdanet for drivers probably. This link might help http://www.topnotchtablets.com/installADBdriver

Sent from my PantechP9070

Install the Universal Naked Driver. Right click the .inf's in the folder, and click install. Then try it, and be sure to wait a minute or two. Check Device Manager once you hear the Windows "device plugged in" sound.

Reactions: greg97526

akafarmer

Apr 1, 2012
nothing happens after fastboot boot recovery-evita.img

My phone is connected to my Windows 7 32 bit system and the drivers have installed successfully...well...all but one. It's the PC Data mode that fails during it's driver installation. The three other USB options that appear on the Pantech Discover's 'USB connection options menu' [Media device (MTP), Camera (PTP), and External memory (SD card)] have successfully installed and were each followed by an 'ADB Shell installation successful' confirmation as well.

I verified USB Debugging was selected within developer options and made sure the superuser and su binary files were saved to my internal SD card NOT my removable sd card.

At the command prompt i typed: cd c:\android (where my android files are located) > then 'fastboot boot recovery-evita.img' > the command window says its downloading boot.img...OKAY then booting...OKAY and then my phone simply turns off. I let it sit almost 30 min before attempting to power it back on. I had to remove the battery and USB cord before it would reboot. No damage done, my phone still functions properly.

Please help.

Oh! the name of the driver that fails installtion is titled 'Pantech P9090' in the device manager on my computer. When I turn the phone off the driver disappears after it shuts down, and just as it starts to charge while connected to the usb port on my computer, it suddenly attempts to install drivers for a generic 'Android' driver. Yes, as if my computer is detecting a totally seperate driver while it's in USB charge mode. don't know if it matters, just wierd is all.

any ideas?

thanks in advance,

- akafarmer :confused:

Last edited:
My phone is connected to my Windows 7 32 bit system and the drivers have installed successfully...well...all but one. It's the PC Data mode that fails during it's driver installation. The three other USB options that appear on the Pantech Discover's 'USB connection options menu' [Media device (MTP), Camera (PTP), and External memory (SD card)] have successfully installed and were each followed by an 'ADB Shell installation successful' confirmation as well.

I verified USB Debugging was selected within developer options and made sure the superuser and su binary files were saved to my internal SD card NOT my removable sd card.

At the command prompt i typed: cd c:\android (where my android files are located) > then 'fastboot boot recovery-evita.img' > the command window says its downloading boot.img...OKAY then booting...OKAY and then my phone simply turns off. I let it sit almost 30 min before attempting to power it back on. I had to remove the battery and USB cord before it would reboot. No damage done, my phone still functions properly.

Please help.

Oh! the name of the driver that fails installtion is titled 'Pantech P9090' in the device manager on my computer. When I turn the phone off the driver disappears after it shuts down, and just as it starts to charge while connected to the usb port on my computer, it suddenly attempts to install drivers for a generic 'Android' driver. Yes, as if my computer is detecting a totally seperate driver while it's in USB charge mode. don't know if it matters, just wierd is all.

any ideas?

thanks in advance,

- akafarmer :confused:

If you plug in/unplug your phone while it's on the black screen after booting the recovery image, does the computer make the sound that indicates a device is being plugged in/unplugged? Does any device, known or unknown, show up in the Device Manager?

Reactions: greg97526

Alekos

Feb 18, 2008
Toronto
I went through all the steps, everything went okay but I don't have root.
SuperUser opens, but when I checked with RootChecker, it doesn't have root - any ideas?
Also, how can we get back to complete stock?

brickjr

Aug 17, 2008
Same here

I went through all the steps, everything went okay but I don't have root.
SuperUser opens, but when I checked with RootChecker, it doesn't have root - any ideas?
Also, how can we get back to complete stock?

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue. I went through all the steps with no issues at all, but when I rebooted my device and installed Titanium Backup, it said it couldn't obtain root access. I was really hoping this would work so I could restore some of my programs from my old phone. OP, any idea why it may not be working?

Also, if we can figure out why this isn't working, I've got another wish... Google Now. I've seen info online about flashing Now to ICS devices with CWM, but I know we don't have access to that yet. Is there any way we can do it via this same method. I'm not an ADB/Shell guru at all, so I'm not sure how to make it work. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for on both topics!

Last edited:

Captain_Doug

Jan 5, 2012
Utah
Wow...

Wow, these look amazing. Very impressed. I'm hesitant about getting a Discover because it only has ICS. Keep it up and I'd love to throw on what you have going. Good luck.

brickjr

Aug 17, 2008
Wow! Maybe I'm not as dumb at this as I thought... I reviewed the initial instructions and then did some searching. I found several instances where the CHMOD command was used with 4755 instead of 0755 as listed in the instructions. I know that CHMOD is used to change the permissions a file has (read, write, execute), so I figured maybe the "0" wasn't setting the correct permissions. I went through the instructions again and changed it to CHMOD 4755, rebooted, and... tah-dah! I have root access. Yay!

Oh... one other thing. I also didn't check the "USB debug" option in developer options before, so I did that too. I'm not sure if that had something to do with it, but I really think it was the read/write accesses.

Now... if someone could help with my "Google Now" request, that would be AWESOME!! Loving this phone so far!

wakko222

Jan 18, 2013
Any more progress?

I just go my Pentech Discover yesterday. I was wondering if there was any more progress on this phone. I can't do much until my trial period runs out, but I would be willing to test after that. It seems like a very quick, responsive phone. Also, do you have an IRC channel on freenode or anything like that? Thanks.

Last edited:

wakko222

Jan 18, 2013
What about TWRP?

I was also wondering if you had tried to install TWRP on the Pantech Discover? There is an HTC One X Evita image on their web site. I have a Kindle Fire 2, and I have Cyanogenmod Jelly Bean 4.2.2 on it by having the locked bootloader jump to TWRP and then to Cyanogenmod. I don't know much about actual development, but I thought this might be a possible solution as you had used the CWM evita image.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AT&T Pantech Discover / Pantech Magnus / Pantech P9090

This thread will contain all info, resources, and tutorials about hacking and modifying your Pantech Discover. As our device shares much of its hardware with the One XL & Galaxy S III, I was able to port some things to our device. Not much, but some.

Useful Links

Pantech Discover ICS Kernel Source

Rooting Your Device

This method is very manual and very messy, hopefully I'll discover an easier method but for now this is the only way to do it.

1. Download the HTC One X ClockworkMod Recovery img.

2. Download the Superuser apk and the su binary, and copy them both to your sdcard (internal sd).

2. Turn off your phone. Hold down both volume buttons while pressing the power button to turn it on again. You'll get to a screen where you can use the volume keys to select fastboot mode, and press power to select it.

3. Once in fastboot mode, plug your device into your computer, and ensure that fastboot detects it.

4. Run the command "fastboot boot recovery-evita.img" to boot into the recovery.

5. Your device will stay at a blank screen, leave it plugged into your computer and wait about a minute for the computer to detect an "HTC device" in ADB recovery mode.

6. Type "adb shell", you should be presented with the # symbol, indicating that you have root access.

7. Run these commands to mount your partitions and copy the root files to your /system partition.

Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /data
    mount /data/media /sdcard
    cd /sdcard
    cp Superuser.apk /system/app/
    cp su /system/xbin/
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

8. At this point, you can exit the adb shell and type 'adb reboot' to boot back into your ROM. You should see the Superuser app in your app drawer, open it to confirm you have root!

----------------------------------------

Partition Info/Dump, Custom Recovery Progress

The Pantech Discover has a total of 26 partitions in /dev/block, and they are as follows.

Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
     1      524kB   67.6MB  67.1MB  fat16        modem
     2      67.6MB  69.2MB  1573kB               sbl1
     3      69.2MB  70.8MB  1573kB               sbl2
     4      70.8MB  72.4MB  1573kB               sbl3
     5      72.4MB  75.0MB  2621kB               aboot
     6      75.0MB  76.5MB  1573kB               rpm
     7      77.1MB  86.5MB  9437kB               boot
     8      86.5MB  88.1MB  1573kB               tz
     9      88.1MB  88.6MB  524kB                pad
    10      88.6MB  92.8MB  4194kB               rawdata
    11      92.8MB  95.9MB  3146kB               modemst1
    12      95.9MB  99.1MB  3146kB               modemst2
    13      99.1MB  309MB   210MB   ext4         preload
    14      309MB   1568MB  1258MB  ext4         system
    15      1568MB  1569MB  1049kB               dummy
    16      1569MB  1578MB  8389kB  ext4         persist
    17      1578MB  1919MB  341MB   ext4         cache
    18      1919MB  2187MB  268MB                tombstones
    19      2187MB  2188MB  1049kB               misc
    20      2189MB  2199MB  10.5MB               recovery
    21      2200MB  2203MB  3146kB               fsg
    22      2203MB  2204MB  524kB                ssd
    23      2204MB  2225MB  21.0MB  fat16        log
    24      2225MB  2277MB  52.4MB               fota
    25      2278MB  15.6GB  13.4GB  ext4         userdata
    26      15.6GB  15.6GB  5226kB               grow

Here is a link to a folder containing all of the partitions (excluding /data, obviously) to download. http://ul.to/f/hms3tr

Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to get CWM recovery running on this phone. I've dumped the recovery and built a CWM recovery image from the CM9 source, but the recovery.img that is produced does not boot properly. I've tried tons of different CWM recoveries for tons of different devices, and the only one that was successful was the evita CWM recovery.

Since there is no bootloader unlock for this phone, fastboot can't flash any partitions. I've attempted to dd multiple different recovery images to the recovery partition, but after a reboot the dd doesn't stick and the device boots into its original recovery. Maybe there needs to be something changed in the boot.img as well?

My custom ROM

Due to my inability to get CWM running in any form, CM9/10 is impossible so far. So, I've done the next best thing and manually decompiled and modded the stock ROM's framework/SystemUI. I gave the system an AOSP look with resources from the MattedBlues AOSP theme. As there is no way to provide a flashable zip with either my modded ROM or an installer for my theme, the best I can do is provide my system.img that you can download and dd to your system partition (dd if=systemTheme.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14). So, here's my themed system.img.

Screenshots

CFFVL2h.png

Bi0TA0k.png

UP600lN.png

GiCFNNV.png

xd6kdVW.png

nAROZ4F.png
    Any status updates from our excellent and most appreciated devs? :D

I have some good news. I have a custom CWM 6.0.2.8 recovery built that works on all of my devices (unlike evita). It took a lot of trial and error to find the proper BoardConfig.mk settings and because Pantech did not use the standard addressing I had to make a custom mkbootimg.

Right now it boots via fastboot and I was able to flash and boot it from the device, however, it still has the following issues:

1. The UI is not rendered (black screen like evita). I am customizing graphics.c to work this out and have made some progress.
    2. The stock recovery is reflashed when I boot to Android. I need to work on the init scripts and install recovery script to fix this.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Check with sandnap I think he may have a spare. Not sure though.

I have a board and housing but not a working glass/digitizer. As a little side project I have been experimenting with replacing the glass only on this device but at this point I have not been able to succeed. If I am successful I can put together a (sort of) working device or I can put together a device that doesn't have a working digitizer but does boot and render right now.
    I finally got it! I found a one click method that worked perfectly the first try and took about 10 seconds. The one click tool is called UnlockRoot and I found it at this site: Unlock Root v3.0 [updated]. .....I was about to throwel in the towel, but im glad I didn't.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using xda app-developers app
    Installing Clockworkmod Recovery on the Pantech Discover

This tutorial and all of my tutorials have been moved to a new thread and organized in a more accessible and useful way. Please check it out!
    I'm going to send Unjustified my Discover - hopefully he can get everything going on it because it is a really nice piece of hardware! Good luck devs.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone