Ultimate Pantech Discover/Magnus/P9090 Rooting & Modding Thread

Search This thread

mifl

Dec 13, 2009
Oviedo
www.devsnest.com
well I am not the man for the job. I don't anything about kernels your the expert where do I find these files. I know battery , camera , and display drivers but not the usb ones .

In this post: http://www.devsnest.com/showthread.php?tid=87; describes a procedure for finding the changes applied in a kernel and generate a patch that can be applied to other kernel code.

USB changes are located in: drivers/usb/gadget

Greetings.

Last edited:

MtDewFella

Jun 9, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
we are still working . We are working on the kernel first as you can see above

I know that your working hard on this and I really appreciate you guys taking the time and labor to build us some roms/kernels and I know you don't have any ETA's for us but could you tell us in terms of scale how long it'll take for this kernel to be built, like are we talking weeks or months. 'Cause if it'll take months then we'll need to get comfortable and just be patient.

Again I, and I presume we all, really appreciate the work.

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN
I know that your working hard on this and I really appreciate you guys taking the time and labor to build us some roms/kernels and I know you don't have any ETA's for us but could you tell us in terms of scale how long it'll take for this kernel to be built, like are we talking weeks or months. 'Cause if it'll take months then we'll need to get comfortable and just be patient.

Again I, and I presume we all, really appreciate the work.

Weeks as I am in High school . I rarely work on it because I don't have the device at least not yet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

osopol4r

Oct 1, 2012
www.guiascdma.com

Sorry to bother you again, I've noticed that the Browser apk is not in the nandroid's system app partition you provided. I tried copying the ICS browser apk but it just doesn't work, it crashes. I wonder if I'm missing other files or how it was removed. As much as I like google chrome and I just depend on the stock android browser for some websites.

Thanks!

gj23

Apr 15, 2012
Michigan
I guess I dont know where the browser .apk in the JB backup is. I searched the phone and its not there. I checked to see if it was something that may have been uninstalled in Titanium Backup and its not there either. I do have the browser .apk from the ICS systemext4. I dont know if that will work with JB,but my guess is that it would. Look in the system/app folder here; http://www.mediafire.com/folder/r3n3loxxlrv08/systemext4

osopol4r

Oct 1, 2012
www.guiascdma.com
I guess I dont know where the browser .apk in the JB backup is. I searched the phone and its not there. I checked to see if it was something that may have been uninstalled in Titanium Backup and its not there either. I do have the browser .apk from the ICS systemext4. I dont know if that will work with JB,but my guess is that it would. Look in the system/app folder here; http://www.mediafire.com/folder/r3n3loxxlrv08/systemext4

I already tried that and it doesn't work. I moved the browser apk to the system partition without luck. Installing the apk as a user app and no success. The app crashes.

If anyone can provide a list of the system apps or perhaps a JB nandroid backup, that way we make sure we are not missing any other files.

sandnap

Feb 3, 2011
I already tried that and it doesn't work. I moved the browser apk to the system partition without luck. Installing the apk as a user app and no success. The app crashes.

If anyone can provide a list of the system apps or perhaps a JB nandroid backup, that way we make sure we are not missing any other files.

Here are the two JB files you will need to push to /system/app

browser.apk
browser.odex

I have a clean ICS nandroid with cwm and I intend to do the same with JB (possibly update zips actually) when I get some time. I have been very busy the last few days. I'll post links when they are done.

sandnap

Feb 3, 2011
So you mean a new clock work recovery or a JB Rom?

Sorry my verbiage is a tad confusing :).

It's the stock JB ROM, rooted w/SuperSu. It also flashes CWM recovery, the ICS (unlocked) bootloader, and all of the partitions that were updated with the JB update so that ICS users can flash it and not have a hybrid ICS/JB combo. It's flashable as an update zip via CWM recovery as opposed to a nandroid restore.

The updater script I am working on is actually pretty lengthy and tricky but it is the foundation for custom ROMs in the future. I intend to create a de-bloated stock version next and then look at tweaks that can be done to the stock version while we work on getting CM built.

Reactions: rjjr12 and osopol4r

MtDewFella

Jun 9, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sorry my verbiage is a tad confusing :).

It's the stock JB ROM, rooted w/SuperSu. It also flashes CWM recovery, the ICS (unlocked) bootloader, and all of the partitions that were updated with the JB update so that ICS users can flash it and not have a hybrid ICS/JB combo. It's flashable as an update zip via CWM recovery as opposed to a nandroid restore.

The updater script I am working on is actually pretty lengthy and tricky but it is the foundation for custom ROMs in the future. I intend to create a de-bloated stock version next and then look at tweaks that can be done to the stock version while we work on getting CM built.

:D Sweetness

if you need testers I am willing and able

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I have a request on this rom your working on, is there anyway to get rid of the power toggles on the top of the notification shade, they take up way to much damn space and I don't use most of them.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

And in the very first post on this thread there's an alternative ICS rom, can you apply the theme that they put on it on your JB rom.

Sorry if I'm asking to much, I don't expect you to get this done over night.

greg97526

Mar 14, 2013
Grants Pass
Woot, getting closer.
Question, like most roms do we have to erase first or can we flash this over the top of our existing setup so we don't have to muck with putting our files etc back onto the phone?

sandnap

Feb 3, 2011
Woot, getting closer.
Question, like most roms do we have to erase first or can we flash this over the top of our existing setup so we don't have to muck with putting our files etc back onto the phone?

This update will completely restore all partitions to stock Jellybean. I am not flashing the userdata partition so your non-system applications and their data will be saved. I'll provide detailed installation instructions. Still working out some of the kinks but getting close. :)

For you personally this should mean a pure Jellybean ROM (with the exception of the unlocked bootloader, CWM recovery, and root) instead of the hybrid you are running.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjjr12

sandnap

Feb 3, 2011
:D Sweetness

if you need testers I am willing and able

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I have a request on this rom your working on, is there anyway to get rid of the power toggles on the top of the notification shade, they take up way to much damn space and I don't use most of them.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

And in the very first post on this thread there's an alternative ICS rom, can you apply the theme that they put on it on your JB rom.

Sorry if I'm asking to much, I don't expect you to get this done over night.

Both of your requests are possible but I wanted to start with a mostly stock recovery/update that will not block future Pantech updates (if there are any) first. We have to balance time spent tweaking the stock ROM with time spent getting custom CM, AOPK, etc... ROMs to compile. It will take a bit of time but the ball is rolling now.

P.S. Uploading the update now but I want to test it more rigorously before I publish it.

Last edited:

gj23

Apr 15, 2012
Michigan
Both of your requests are possible but I wanted to start with a mostly stock recovery/update that will not block future Pantech updates (if there are any) first. We have to balance time spent tweaking the stock ROM with time spent getting custom CM, AOPK, etc... ROMs to compile. It will take a bit of time but the ball is rolling now.

P.S. Uploading the update now but I want to test it more rigorously before I publish it.
I know I can speak for many of us when I say "We REALYY appreciate everything you have already done and are currently working on. You've been exactly what I've been waiting for, someone with the knowledge and courage to to develop a device that few people have experience developing. Thanks for all your time and effort.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AT&T Pantech Discover / Pantech Magnus / Pantech P9090

This thread will contain all info, resources, and tutorials about hacking and modifying your Pantech Discover. As our device shares much of its hardware with the One XL & Galaxy S III, I was able to port some things to our device. Not much, but some.

Useful Links

Pantech Discover ICS Kernel Source

Rooting Your Device

This method is very manual and very messy, hopefully I'll discover an easier method but for now this is the only way to do it.

1. Download the HTC One X ClockworkMod Recovery img.

2. Download the Superuser apk and the su binary, and copy them both to your sdcard (internal sd).

2. Turn off your phone. Hold down both volume buttons while pressing the power button to turn it on again. You'll get to a screen where you can use the volume keys to select fastboot mode, and press power to select it.

3. Once in fastboot mode, plug your device into your computer, and ensure that fastboot detects it.

4. Run the command "fastboot boot recovery-evita.img" to boot into the recovery.

5. Your device will stay at a blank screen, leave it plugged into your computer and wait about a minute for the computer to detect an "HTC device" in ADB recovery mode.

6. Type "adb shell", you should be presented with the # symbol, indicating that you have root access.

7. Run these commands to mount your partitions and copy the root files to your /system partition.

Code:
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /system
    mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /data
    mount /data/media /sdcard
    cd /sdcard
    cp Superuser.apk /system/app/
    cp su /system/xbin/
    chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su

8. At this point, you can exit the adb shell and type 'adb reboot' to boot back into your ROM. You should see the Superuser app in your app drawer, open it to confirm you have root!

----------------------------------------

Partition Info/Dump, Custom Recovery Progress

The Pantech Discover has a total of 26 partitions in /dev/block, and they are as follows.

Code:
    Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
     1      524kB   67.6MB  67.1MB  fat16        modem
     2      67.6MB  69.2MB  1573kB               sbl1
     3      69.2MB  70.8MB  1573kB               sbl2
     4      70.8MB  72.4MB  1573kB               sbl3
     5      72.4MB  75.0MB  2621kB               aboot
     6      75.0MB  76.5MB  1573kB               rpm
     7      77.1MB  86.5MB  9437kB               boot
     8      86.5MB  88.1MB  1573kB               tz
     9      88.1MB  88.6MB  524kB                pad
    10      88.6MB  92.8MB  4194kB               rawdata
    11      92.8MB  95.9MB  3146kB               modemst1
    12      95.9MB  99.1MB  3146kB               modemst2
    13      99.1MB  309MB   210MB   ext4         preload
    14      309MB   1568MB  1258MB  ext4         system
    15      1568MB  1569MB  1049kB               dummy
    16      1569MB  1578MB  8389kB  ext4         persist
    17      1578MB  1919MB  341MB   ext4         cache
    18      1919MB  2187MB  268MB                tombstones
    19      2187MB  2188MB  1049kB               misc
    20      2189MB  2199MB  10.5MB               recovery
    21      2200MB  2203MB  3146kB               fsg
    22      2203MB  2204MB  524kB                ssd
    23      2204MB  2225MB  21.0MB  fat16        log
    24      2225MB  2277MB  52.4MB               fota
    25      2278MB  15.6GB  13.4GB  ext4         userdata
    26      15.6GB  15.6GB  5226kB               grow

Here is a link to a folder containing all of the partitions (excluding /data, obviously) to download. http://ul.to/f/hms3tr

Despite my best efforts, I've been unable to get CWM recovery running on this phone. I've dumped the recovery and built a CWM recovery image from the CM9 source, but the recovery.img that is produced does not boot properly. I've tried tons of different CWM recoveries for tons of different devices, and the only one that was successful was the evita CWM recovery.

Since there is no bootloader unlock for this phone, fastboot can't flash any partitions. I've attempted to dd multiple different recovery images to the recovery partition, but after a reboot the dd doesn't stick and the device boots into its original recovery. Maybe there needs to be something changed in the boot.img as well?

My custom ROM

Due to my inability to get CWM running in any form, CM9/10 is impossible so far. So, I've done the next best thing and manually decompiled and modded the stock ROM's framework/SystemUI. I gave the system an AOSP look with resources from the MattedBlues AOSP theme. As there is no way to provide a flashable zip with either my modded ROM or an installer for my theme, the best I can do is provide my system.img that you can download and dd to your system partition (dd if=systemTheme.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14). So, here's my themed system.img.

Screenshots

CFFVL2h.png

Bi0TA0k.png

UP600lN.png

GiCFNNV.png

xd6kdVW.png

nAROZ4F.png
    Any status updates from our excellent and most appreciated devs? :D

I have some good news. I have a custom CWM 6.0.2.8 recovery built that works on all of my devices (unlike evita). It took a lot of trial and error to find the proper BoardConfig.mk settings and because Pantech did not use the standard addressing I had to make a custom mkbootimg.

Right now it boots via fastboot and I was able to flash and boot it from the device, however, it still has the following issues:

1. The UI is not rendered (black screen like evita). I am customizing graphics.c to work this out and have made some progress.
    2. The stock recovery is reflashed when I boot to Android. I need to work on the init scripts and install recovery script to fix this.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Check with sandnap I think he may have a spare. Not sure though.

I have a board and housing but not a working glass/digitizer. As a little side project I have been experimenting with replacing the glass only on this device but at this point I have not been able to succeed. If I am successful I can put together a (sort of) working device or I can put together a device that doesn't have a working digitizer but does boot and render right now.
    I finally got it! I found a one click method that worked perfectly the first try and took about 10 seconds. The one click tool is called UnlockRoot and I found it at this site: Unlock Root v3.0 [updated]. .....I was about to throwel in the towel, but im glad I didn't.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using xda app-developers app
    Installing Clockworkmod Recovery on the Pantech Discover

This tutorial and all of my tutorials have been moved to a new thread and organized in a more accessible and useful way. Please check it out!
    I'm going to send Unjustified my Discover - hopefully he can get everything going on it because it is a really nice piece of hardware! Good luck devs.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone