Ultimate [VIDEO Guides] How To Root, Unlock Bootloader and More! New Nexus 7 (2013)

Search This thread

bluboy484

May 9, 2013
is it possible for me to root without unlocking the bootloader? I'm asking because on my Sony Live with Walkman I rooted it but did not have to unlock the bootloader but I see everyone here talking about doing both when I only want to root. :confused:

z_extend_99

Jun 27, 2012
I'm not sure if it is. Most procedures done require flashing of custom recovery and flashing of zip file through the custom recovery.

Another way is to have a temporary root access on adb and push the su binary and superuser.apk to their respective directories. This requires a lot of effort compared to flashing a custom recovery. It requires you to be able to have an insecure boot on adb to get a temporary root access. I do not know the exact procedures though, and I'm not sure if this can be done with an locked bootloader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Magic2009

Feb 4, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Temp Unroot

Hi - is there a way to temp unroot the nexus to view flixster, sky go etc without having to wipe it and install stock rom, I'm currently unrooted due to this inconvenience??

RascalDoc

Nov 9, 2011
So Florida
I've tried the toolkit on 3 different computers all running Windows 7 and can't get confirmation that my drivers are properly installed. I can get to where my nexus is visible and I get the window asking do I want to copy files or open with Explorer, etc. I'm not familiar with adb but have rooted several evos and s3,s.
Also, how do I backup my setup? Without twrp for a nandroid I'm lost.
I'm running 4.4.2 on a wifi 32gb nexus 7 2013
Thanks in advance
Edit: sofar I've got about 6 hours over two evenings invested in trying to get root and twrp on this & %++_-$&! Roots g you evo4g was easier..... Lol
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

aycockonxion

Jul 15, 2012
Tulsa
I've tried the toolkit on 3 different computers all running Windows 7 and can't get confirmation that my drivers are properly installed. I can get to where my nexus is visible and I get the window asking do I want to copy files or open with Explorer, etc. I'm not familiar with adb but have rooted several evos and s3,s.
Also, how do I backup my setup? Without twrp for a nandroid I'm lost.
I'm running 4.4.2 on a wifi 32gb nexus 7 2013
Thanks in advance
Edit: sofar I've got about 6 hours over two evenings invested in trying to get root and twrp on this & %++_-$&! Roots g you evo4g was easier..... Lol

My experience is virtually identical. I've used 2 different PC's to attempt to root with the exact same results.

Running 4.4.2 also with a WiFi 32 Gb 2013 model.

Last edited:

RascalDoc

Nov 9, 2011
So Florida
My experience is virtually identical. I've used 2 different PC's to attempt to root with the exact same results.

Running 4.4.2 also with a WiFi 32 Gb 2013 model.

Update.....I used the zedomax video and substituted twrp. Worked well. I did have to flash super user twice. I'm rooted!!!!
Hope this helped. Feel free to pm me for more details or help.

aycockonxion

Jul 15, 2012
Tulsa
Update.....I used the zedomax video and substituted twrp. Worked well. I did have to flash super user twice. I'm rooted!!!!
Hope this helped. Feel free to pm me for more details or help.

Update - Got it to root, and got TwRp flashed also. Now my WiFi speed is ridiculously slow. I had been getting in the vicinity of 20 Mbps down prior to root, and I'm still getting that on my GS4, but now I'm getting around 0.3 Mbps down (variable up to maybe 1 Mbps). Anybody have any ideas?

Running rooted 4.4.2, WiFi only, 2013 model.

Last edited:
Reactions: RascalDoc

aycockonxion

Jul 15, 2012
Tulsa
Update - Got it to root, and got TwRp flashed also. Now my WiFi speed is ridiculously slow. I had been getting in the vicinity of 20 Mbps down prior to root, and I'm still getting that on my GS4, but now I'm getting around 0.3 Mbps down (variable up to maybe 1 Mbps). Anybody have any ideas?

Running rooted 4.4.2, WiFi only, 2013 model.

Update - So, I left it alone over night and tried again this morning once I got to work and now it's mysteriously awesome. I just got 44.65 Mbps down and 28.99 Mbps up. Maybe something was wrong with my router last night, I don't know since I was getting great speed on other devices. Oh well, I can see now that the WiFi speed on the Nexus is where it's supposed to be!

Reactions: RascalDoc

RascalDoc

Nov 9, 2011
So Florida
Thanks for the update

Edit... I checked my speeds. They are about the same as yours were last night. Not good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maxvsmith

Aug 4, 2011
Atlanta
Hi - is there a way to temp unroot the nexus to view flixster, sky go etc without having to wipe it and install stock rom, I'm currently unrooted due to this inconvenience??

Edit:

I heard that in SuperSu you can trick an app into thinking it's not rooted. There is also some kind of xposed module to hide root so I does seem possible. Also, vudu shares flixster and UV content and it doesn't block you if you are rooted.

I succesfully unlocked and rooted my nexus 7 2013 yesterday and it was pretty easy. I had to re-install drivers once and reset because I was using my moga charger cable and I forgot that for some reason that cable is only for charging. After I switched cables everything went fine. I really was impressed with the back up function too. I backed up all my data unrooted and once I was rooted I backed it up. Not every single app and data was completely restored but the majority was. Foruntately the ones that weren't restored was recovered because of cloud data. Great tool kit I'll probably use it just to do nandroid back ups from now on since it sends it right to the computer. And my worries of unlocked bootloader don't apply anymore since it can be re-locked anytime.

Last edited:

sfall

Jul 31, 2013
ulock getting stuck

I have run the unlock section which worked with no problem but when I ran the "root" option (i am not flashing a custom recover) it puts the device into bootloader and sits there. and sits there. while the nexus root toolkit v18 has "information: booting modified boot.img to enable running privileged commands..."

I can stop it by power + vol down but what could I be doing wrong

Sumpong

Aug 27, 2010
I have run the unlock section which worked with no problem but when I ran the "root" option (i am not flashing a custom recover) it puts the device into bootloader and sits there. and sits there. while the nexus root toolkit v18 has "information: booting modified boot.img to enable running privileged commands..."

I can stop it by power + vol down but what could I be doing wrong

Exactly the same for me, giving up for now

peeyaj

Feb 13, 2014
Just a question.. I will be using WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit to root my Nexus 7. I have 3.28 GB available space on my device, most of them are videos.. Would my sd card erased if I root the device?

Redlugia

Jan 19, 2014
Just a question.. I will be using WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit to root my Nexus 7. I have 3.28 GB available space on my device, most of them are videos.. Would my sd card erased if I root the device?

Back up anything you want to keep on an external device if your bootloader is not unlocked. If you are already unlocked you shouldn't lose anything.

Phuc1403Vn

Feb 16, 2014
helpppppp..........

I have a question want to ask....I have problem about battery of N7 gen 2, my device just working onscreen 5,5hours, just play Where's my Water 1hour and all the time I browsing web by GG Chrome, it's normal or abnormal???thanks all!

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

backup any things on your device, if u didn't copy your data, when u root or bootloader your N7 then your data is lost.

LegobrandonCP

Dec 26, 2012
Vancouver
Used the Toolkit to root my N7, but a few days after my WiFi seems to be faulty. No ROM, just an unlocked bootloader and root.

Is this a known problem? Resolutions?

bswift916

Nov 29, 2011
N7 Root Issue

Been trying to use the one click root, but stuck at a window (in the picture). I then tried to manually install twrp, but when I go into recovery mode it can't find my device and boots up.

Top Liked Posts