Question Ultra wide band for all?

Search This thread

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Has anyone with a Google unlocked P6P (previously no UWB) experienced UWB connection with the December update (US Carriers) . I just switched my 5G Verizon account (on a Google unlocked) to one that includes UWB (i upgraded for other features all at the same price of my current plan) but we don't have it where i live (barely have 5G but i'm future proofing) so i'm just curious whether the Google unlocked really did achieve UWB.

Last edited:

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
To be fair, VZW does market their mmwave service as 5G UW (Ultra Wideband) I was confused, too
Jea, that's marketing mumbo jumbo.

The Ultra Wideband that the P6 Pro has is a new standard, just like NFC, Bluetooth or WLAN. It's designed to offer a similar experience like NFC (close contact data transmission), but offers much higher data speeds (MB/s instead of kb/s). As of now it's relatively exclusive, since only a couple High-End phones support this (IPhones Max, Samsung Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro...) and on the other side there's almost no usecase (yet). Beyond a couple of industry operations (those ones have specific and special equipment, so they don't use phones) only BMW offers this tech to unlock a couple of their higher tier cars, so it's a technology that is only usable for a couple hundred/maybe thousand people on planet earth right now.

In the future, this tech might be used for identification (there's talk about ID on phone or whatever), but those plans will not come to bear earlier than in 2-3 years. UW - as of now - is something nice for a spec list, but in real world usage, it's almost useless.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To be fair, VZW does market their mmwave service as 5G UW (Ultra Wideband) I was confused, too
    Jea, that's marketing mumbo jumbo.

The Ultra Wideband that the P6 Pro has is a new standard, just like NFC, Bluetooth or WLAN. It's designed to offer a similar experience like NFC (close contact data transmission), but offers much higher data speeds (MB/s instead of kb/s). As of now it's relatively exclusive, since only a couple High-End phones support this (IPhones Max, Samsung Ultra, Pixel 6 Pro...) and on the other side there's almost no usecase (yet). Beyond a couple of industry operations (those ones have specific and special equipment, so they don't use phones) only BMW offers this tech to unlock a couple of their higher tier cars, so it's a technology that is only usable for a couple hundred/maybe thousand people on planet earth right now.

In the future, this tech might be used for identification (there's talk about ID on phone or whatever), but those plans will not come to bear earlier than in 2-3 years. UW - as of now - is something nice for a spec list, but in real world usage, it's almost useless.
    UWB has nothing to do with 5G that Google just enabled on the P6P

I just checked the T-Mobile 5G UC connection with my P6P running the 17 update. Speetest registered 362 Mbps! It's faster than my home connection.