Umecity (VW): Allwinner T8, 2GB/32GB, 7.1.2, 9" 1024x600, Shallow 2din [2017/11]

Search This thread

Haidar777

Apr 7, 2018
When did you upgrade to android 9 did the full formatting?

Try to update using key1 to ground and turn on HU.

Or

1. Format a USB to FAT32 first, then decompress the upgrade file and only copy files to this formatted USB.

2. Insert the USB to the unit's USB slot.

3. Turn the key to ACC level.

4. Press the RST button on the left of the panel, then turn off the key at once.
Then turn the key to ACC level again after 5 seconds.

5. Then the head unit will upgrade automatically.

Only one usb slot suitable!
I have tried with both USB ports but have had no luck. It simply does update start then end straight away.
I upgrade to android 9 from 7.1.2 yesterday following the tutorial and using the rom file that you had linked.

dick-jones

May 23, 2017

Haidar777

Apr 7, 2018
This is a good idea.

Answer YES twice to the question about formatting the memory!

What version of android 9 do you have now?
I am running just Android 9
I tried flashing
V9.4.1_20191021.093450_TW2
https://mega.nz/#!wpR0kIKQ!AYF33peNBB8Mw8JKgaZpNcpCMz7GRZIpt-x8LqfceSc

and now I am able to update normally, just going through the various firmwares you have here https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CqfB/vp9x56MyE/Android 9/
to see which one suits best.
Is there any that you would recommend & do you know if there is a pathway to Android 10 on these devices?

dick-jones

May 23, 2017
Thanks for your experience. I replaced the Android 9 firmware file.

I have not seen a firmware with Android 10.

Haidar777

Apr 7, 2018
Thanks for your experience. I replaced the Android 9 firmware file.

I have not seen a firmware with Android 10.
My pleasure.
I tried a few of your firmwares and they are all great with everything working but the one I like the most, the Bluetooth is not working for some reason. Do you have any idea why that is. I have got BC8 in the config as usual and I know that the Bluetooth is working as it is fine with the other Android 9 firmwares. Just not on this firmware which shown in the image below.
When clicking the Bluetooth icon on the Home Screen, nothing happens.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 149

ed04

Nov 8, 2007
I am having trouble when trying to install the USB drivers on the PC. HU is in PC update mode. No new or unknown device showing up in the device manager on the PC. I have tried different PC's and different cables. USB-debug is enabled on HU. Cannot figure out what goes wrong.

dick-jones

May 23, 2017
My pleasure.
I tried a few of your firmwares and they are all great with everything working but the one I like the most, the Bluetooth is not working for some reason. Do you have any idea why that is. I have got BC8 in the config as usual and I know that the Bluetooth is working as it is fine with the other Android 9 firmwares. Just not on this firmware which shown in the image below.
When clicking the Bluetooth icon on the Home Screen, nothing happens.
Yes, bluetooth does not work on this firmware. There is no solution yet.

dick-jones

May 23, 2017
I am having trouble when trying to install the USB drivers on the PC. HU is in PC update mode. No new or unknown device showing up in the device manager on the PC. I have tried different PC's and different cables. USB-debug is enabled on HU. Cannot figure out what goes wrong.
If the HU has two USB ports, then only one is suitable. It is necessary to determine which one. No need to enable usb-debug.

Haidar777

Apr 7, 2018
To give everyone an update, I managed to successfully install Android 9 by following the tutorial that @****-jones has provided.

the best firmware i have found where everything works and is reasonably responsive and good looking can be found here
cloud.mail.ru

Файл из Облака Mail.ru

Облако Mail.ru - это ваше персональное надежное хранилище в интернете.
cloud.mail.ru
cloud.mail.ru

I am curious to know if anyone here can recommend what model I should choose for the attached can bus decoder.

Attachments

• 92BD212D-DEAE-4EBC-B987-397F733091FC.jpeg
    92BD212D-DEAE-4EBC-B987-397F733091FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80

kano60

Apr 28, 2019
Hi Guys,

anyone can suggest how can i upgrade my system ?
i hope someone can help me to upgrade

Tank you

I have a XTRONS d771A 1 din headunit :
CHIPSET : AllWinner UltraOcta-T8 Manifacturer Allwinner
Processor ARmV7 processor rev 5 (v71)

ANDROID VERSION : 7.1.2

MCU VERSION 5.3.19-125-0F-453101-190112-HY1702
version system v9.2.2_20180117.190333_TW2-HUY-FD

Last edited:

kano60

Apr 28, 2019
I am running just Android 9
I tried flashing
V9.4.1_20191021.093450_TW2
https://mega.nz/#!wpR0kIKQ!AYF33peNBB8Mw8JKgaZpNcpCMz7GRZIpt-x8LqfceSc

and now I am able to update normally, just going through the various firmwares you have here https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CqfB/vp9x56MyE/Android 9/
to see which one suits best.
Is there any that you would recommend & do you know if there is a pathway to Android 10 on these devices?
can i upgrade my unit with thi link that you post ?

I have a XTRONS d771A 1 din headunit :
CHIPSET : AllWinner UltraOcta-T8 Manifacturer Allwinner
Processor ARmV7 processor rev 5 (v71)

ANDROID VERSION : 7.1.2

MCU VERSION 5.3.19-125-0F-453101-190112-HY1702
version system v9.2.2_20180117.190333_TW2-HUY-FD

dick-jones

May 23, 2017

suawek

May 29, 2009
Does anyone know where can I download firmware 9.2.2_20171228.095535_JP1-FD without any mod? Thank you in advance.

unosweb

Jun 8, 2018
I found it, for everybody who need it.

Turn car power on
Press reset and immediately turn power off
wait 10 sec
turn power on and radio is in recovery update (if there is a USB drive with flash files it will flash now)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'd think I'd learn my lesson after the last ten head units I've purchased, but I saw the new Allwinner T8 headunits, and decided I wanted to give it a try. The new radio is currently on it's way from China, and I'll be updating this thread as I find out more information.

Update: Unit passed testing and has just shipped out. Should have it early next week if it doesn't get hung up in customs.
    Update 2: Head unit arrived yesterday (11/28/2017), and I installed it today. Initial updates below.

[SIZE="+1"]PHOTOS[/SIZE]
    Screenshot_20171130-113605.jpgYoumecity-Android-7-1-Car-DVD-Player-Radio-Gps-Stereo-for-VW-Volkswagen-SKODA-GOLF-5.jpg
    HTB1KECZfLBNTKJjy1zdq6yScpXaw.jpgView attachment 4331016
    Screenshot_20171129-162557.jpgScreenshot_20171129-162602.jpg
    Screenshot_20171129-160550_root.jpgScreenshot_20171129-160656.jpg

[SIZE="+2"]Umecity (Youmecity) Allwinner T8[/SIZE]
    CPU: Allwinner T8, 8-core Cortex-A7 @ 1.6GHz, up to 1.8GHz
    Memory: 2GB DDR3 RAM, 32GB EMMC, 2xUSB2, 1 MicroSD
    Graphics: PowerVR SGX544MP1 GPU (OpenGL ES1.1/2.0 OpenCL1.1)
    Display: 9", 1024x600 capacitive
    Radio Tuner: 7786
    Amplifier: TDA7851
    Output Power: 4x50w
    Dimensions: 220mm x 130mm x 27mm
    Weight: 5kg

MCU Version: 5.3.19-145-13-A46101-171118
    System Vers: V9.2.2_20171117.102842_JP1-FD
    Linux Kernel: 3.10.65
    Security Patch Level: 2017-07-05, 7.1.2 (Nougat)

MCU Version: T5.3.19-145-10-C06101-170318
    System Vers: V9.2.2_20170915.144527_JP1

[SIZE="+1"]Passwords[/SIZE]
    Extra Settings: 123456
    Developer and Reset: 7890

[SIZE="+2"]Identifying Firmwares[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="+1"]General Information[/SIZE]
    Example: 9.2.2_20171117.102842_JP1-FD
    • 9.2.2 - The hardware version, and android version. For instance, 9 is T8, and 9.2.2 is Nougat.
    • 20171117 - Release date of the firmware in YYYYMMDD format.
    • 102842 - Possibly the build time for the firmware. Uncertain.
    • JP1: The manufacturer ID.
    • FD: ???
    [SIZE="+1"]....by Version[/SIZE]
    Per @bazanovv, "There are 3 different non-compatible versions of T3 hardware and software, Default one (sleep mode added later and not so good), New one (firmware is a development of R16 branch), and K2001 (usually very compact and cheaper). Allwinner T8 head units continue and develop the same firmware branch - V9.x.x on T8, V8.x.x on T3 New (V8.3.x with Android 7.1) and V7.x.x on R16. Most tips and tricks from T3 (new one) will work on T8."
    • R16 - 7.x.x
    • T3 - 8.x.x
    • T3 - 8.3.x - Android 7.1, Nougat
    • T8 - 9.1.1 - Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow
    • T8 - 9.2.2 - Android 7.1.2, Nougat
    [SIZE="+1"]...by Manufacturer[/SIZE]
    From information gleaned mostly from various threads over on 4PDA, it is advised to not install firmwares from another manufacturer, unless it has already been patched to be universal. Issues such as red messages at the bottom of the screen, or unsupported hardware can result.
    • JP1 or JP1-FD: Umecity
    • TW2-FD: TopWay
    • KED3-5: Kaier

[SIZE="+1"]Allwinner T8 Documentation[/SIZE]
    www.allwinnertech.com/uploads/pdf/20160515151908f5.pdf

[SIZE="+1"]4PDA Discussion Thread (Russian)[/SIZE]
    https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=875407

[SIZE="+1"]My Initial Feelings:[/SIZE]
    This appears to be basically the same chassis as the Allwinner T3 units, but with a newer CPU and OS. Unfortunately, they cheaped out a little with the bezel on this one, which didn't include a MicroSD card slot like was on the previous model. This model has the same issue of accidentally clicking the capacitive bezel buttons that the T3 had.

The wiring is a bit of a mess. Some things were obviously just cheaped out on, like boost power for the antenna to the harness should come with connectors already installed. There is a brown/yellow wire pair coming from the CANBUS box that plugs into the back of the unit, rather than connecting via the main harness plug. Just as with the T3 model, the Volkswagen ISO1 harness has an ISO2 harness spliced into it. Having the extra connector leaves the system open to RF interference, and makes the wiring a mess.

After working with the unit for about an hour, and running the benchmarks, I started to notice some interference from the speakers. It wasn't affected by unit volume, and was present when muted. The noise sounded like either RF interference, or he noise you get when a capacitor is squealing. I did not notice the noise before the benchmarks, and need to see if this recurs on the next boot up. After extensive listening, the noise only seems to occur (for me) after the unit has been powered on for a while, and run hard. Benchmarking, initial setup and app download, etc. Once I reboot, I don't hear the noise anymore.

For scoring so blandly in the benchmarks, this unit is very responsive. I had no issues or slowdowns running multiple apps at the same time: Maps, Play Music, and Play Store downloading in the background, etc.

[SIZE="+1"]Some Items Worth Pointing Out[/SIZE]:
    • Bluetooth is for phone use only: I've always been critical of Bluetooth audio quality, especially for music. It's interesting that they point out that Bluetooth only works with one sound channel, so music will not sound good. They suggest music over USB. I'm guessing with android auto, or their EasyConnect mirroring.

[SIZE="+1"]Tests and Results[/SIZE]
    • Ease of install: Super easy to install, due to the extremely shallow depth of the device. Plenty of room for the wires behind the radio. Only annoyance was the combined ISO 1/2 adapter, which is just a mess.
    • Screen visibility: So far, so good. Less brightness, but better clarity than the Dasaita PX5 unit I have.
    • Deep Sleep: Well, no deep sleep support. Has a few shutdown times, maxing out at 30 minutes IIRC.
    • Boot time: So, the numbers quoted up top are pure fiction. Took ~40s from cold boot to launcher.
    • Backup cam start time: Excellent. Was able to use the backup camera immediately from power on.
    • Antutu Score: ~22500
    • 3DMark Score: Benchmark crashed.
    • Volume scaling: Again, default audio is too freaking loud with my OEM Fender amp. Anything past 4-5 (out of thirty) is way too loud. On the good side, seems the Amp Volume can be adjusted. When set at it's lowest level, the scaling seems to be spot on for my Fender system. Nice!
    • Rootable?: CPU-Z seems to indicate that it is already rooted, however SuperSU states that the su binary is occupied. Need to explore further.
    • Play Store apps: So far, so good. Only missing items in the store were things like Google Dialer, which would have been nice to have.
    • Android Auto: Not available in Play Store. Likely need to fake 720p screen.
    • Google Maps: Works great. No problems in my short test drive.
    • Waze: Works great. No problems that I saw.
    • Voice Search: Not installed by default. Install "Google" from Play Store. Unfortunately, internal Mic couldn't hear my voice in testing.
    • Bluetooth Call w/int mic: No tested yet.
    • Radio Signal: Strong signal, and easily locked to even faint stations.
    • Radio Audio Quality: Meh, it's analog OTA, so it sounds about as good as I would expect it to.
    • CPU Temp: According to Aida64, the CPU temperature idled around 50-60 Celsius, spiking to 74 during the benchmarks.
    • GPS Lock: GPS locked almost immediately.
    • What else should I test?

[SIZE="+1"]Pros[/SIZE]:
    • Solid build, with shallow design.
    • Easy to install.
    • Google Maps works great, as does Waze.

[SIZE="+1"]Cons[/SIZE]:
    • Very easy to accidentally click the capacitive bezel buttons. Can sometimes even detect a hover as a touch.
    • Internal Microphone only works with Bluetooth calling.
    Thank you ****-jones. Much appreciated. Will try it this weekend.
    @karldink, @lr_man, @majsab, @sparrion

Link to the modified firmware V9.2.2_20180310.092220_KBT8-FD-mod
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Could you upload a new link to the firmware please? The link is dead. I am looking to update the firmware of my ga8150a as well.

Link to the original firmware https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CPQEnTfxmCaSkdN8SfLhSNO6foA4hqyc/view
    :D sorry...
    This is my 6.0 software
    First of all, I would like to say that @Rottgrub is ultimately right, and you should not try to flash MCU if not absolutely sure / have a backup image of yours and ready to brick the HU.

Could you please double check the link and file, because on your screenshot you have Allwinner T8 with Android 6.0 - V9.1.x firmware branch, version V9.1.1_20170830.183839_KED3-5, while filename on your link says it is V8.2.3 (V8.2.3_20170927.200111_KED3-5.rar), which is Android 6.0 too, but for different CPU - it is a Allwinner T3 firmware branch.

Connection of OBD2 (ELM327) adapters, as well as all other non-phone (headset) devices by Bluetooth on HU is a difficult and complicated process. Firmware and MCU updates both frequently required, and still it is a lottery, it may work, or may not. All non-standard Bluetooth devices will most likely not work. This happens because Bluetooth module is managed by MCU, not Android, is not native to Android, so it will newer work as good as on your phone. This was made, huh, to connect your phone to the HU as a handsfree device. Default Android BT software stack can be a server device on A2DP and HF profile, but can't be a client, like headphones. HU, in it's turn, must be like a headphones. Here be dragons.

Known problems with OBD2 adapters are that password for adapter and set in BT settings must be the same and set, most frequently, to "1234". You should connect OBD2 in HU Bluetooth or Phone application, not in Android BT settings (may be called by shortcut, but will not work correctly). Bluetooth device name of OBD2 adapter must be exactly "OBDII", others will work OK with your phone, but not with HU. It seems that some fixup procedures in the code are linked to BT device name. And even if all of this is true, it seems that T8 firmware is still under development and do not work with any type of OBD2 adapter.

Most probably, you will be able to upgrade your Android 6.0 firmware to the new one on Android 7.1, but this process is a bit more complicated and dangerous then regular firmware update. If something goes wrong, HU turns into a brick, software does not work as you want or expect - you have been warned, it's your own responsibility only.
    1) First of all, get a backup of your Android and MCU firmware from the seller, or, if this is not possible, get Root, install this backup tool for R16 and make a backup of all Android partitions, and MCU partition. It is untested on T8 yet, but it's better to have this backup, then nothing. This tool just do dd from known partitions and copy them to file, that's why root required. It may try to restore as well, but this is more risky.

2) As you may notice, firmware update files are named like GUID's, three files .0 .1 .2 with main Android image, split into 3 parts, and smaller boot partition for Android. Names for Android 7 on T8 are well-known:
    b278023e-7757-11e7-bb3a-07933d230b22.0, .1, .2 - main Android image;
    b1604ca8-7757-11e7-906d-3390eed0c0c2 - boot (Linux core);
    bd07a5ee-fbb0-11e4-ae78-000c29ba27c0 - MCU partition for Android. DON'T FLASH it, if not 100% sure it is from yours or hardware compatible (same Radio, DSP, etc) HU. Delete this file instead, details later.
    203affea-6437-11e6-9d6a-6fc36e3d2c72 - one particular MCU firmware for immediate flashing into the MCU. DON'T FLASH it, if not 1000% sure it is fit your HU, maximal chances to get a brick. Delete this file instead.

However, names for Android 6 on T8 are unknown. So HU will not "see" and will not start flashing Android 7 files until you rename them to the names that it expects to see. Easiest way to find the correct names - from your firmware you got from seller on step 1, or from any other T8 Android 6 firmware. Btw, if you know any - please share a link. You have to rename files with Android 7 firmware to the names Android 6 firmware expects, and start flashing in usual way. Hopefully, it will work.

3) As you may see before, firmware version contains letters in the end, "KED3" in your case. This letters name the OEM manufacture name, and must match hardware ID, stored in the MCU firmware. If they will not match, red letters of warning will be written on the top of display: "UI unauthorized, please contact the supplier". It will not affect regular operations, but is very annoying. To delete this, you may zero out this ID in ro.fota.device string in /system/build.prop. Get Root, search for the string "ro.fota.device=" in the build.prop, find OEM letters like TW2-FD or KED1 or JP1 (or others), according to firmware, and then 4 digits of ID. Replace ID with 4 ASCII zeroes, so from ro.fota.device=KED1_0011 you will get ro.fota.device=KED1_0000. Remember about Linux cr/lf, don't edit build.prop with notepad, and restore access rights, or you will brick the HU.

Alternatively, you may edit this string in the firmware files before flashing, and then sign the modified firmware. Manual here.

4) Unlike other HU's, this firmware branch (starting from R16 / T3 new one / T8) do have a set of MCU files, different for different car models, stored in the separate Android partition (size 16 Mb). MCU flash size is 128 kb, so lots of them can fit onto this partition. Then you choose car model, HU selects proper MCU file from this partition, flashes it into the MCU, and then reboots. So you must not touch it or switch it off during car model select, or it will become a brick forever, and you should not select the model too frequently to save a MCU flash programming cycles. This mechanism was developed, because CANbus MCU code is different for different cars, and code for all cars does not fit the MCU flash size. Even more, different MCU may and do have different code for Radio module (mostly TDA7786/TDA7703/TEF662x) and audio DSP (mostly TDA7729(TDA7719)/Rohm BD37xxx), if you flash the wrong one, you loose Radio or sound and ability to regulate it).

This partition gives you a unique chance to backup MCU set before flashing it (see p.1). It may be saved and flashed back with the root and backup tool or just dd (I haven't test it!!! su cd /dev/block/by-name dd if=private of=/usb0/private.img bs=4096). MCU firmware usually encrypted, and can't be read back from the MCU, so for other HUs there are no way to backup existing MCU firmware, unlike this one. However, if you accidently flash firmware with the MCU set file bd07a5ee-fbb0-11e4-ae78-000c29ba27c0, it will overwrite this partition. If this file does not fit your hardware, you will not get a brick - because, unlike 203affea-6437-11e6-9d6a-6fc36e3d2c72 file, only Android partition is flashed, MCU flash remains the same - but you will loose ability to select car model in the factory settings menu, because no suitable MCU is found for your hardware ID in the MCU partition.
    Hardware ID, Car model, Radio, DSP and lot of other features are encoded in the MCU name.
    T5.3.19-hwID-carID-С06101-YYMMDD there С06101 is a Radio, DSP and HU features bitmask. Some may be decoded with the old MCU+1.4+(+4core).exe decode tool from R16. It does not fit exactly, but may give a clue. MCU firmware name should be entered without the T letter in beginning, like 5.3.19-145-10-С06101-170318.
    You see, MCU issue is quite complicated, right? So, if you are not absolutely sure - don't flash the MCU!

Based on 4pda.ru materials.

P.S. As far as I know, there are no known way to get a root on T8 with Android 7 yet. You have to disassemble (take apart) firmware, insert there files for root, and then assemble and sign it back, or wait, until somebody do it for you. Unfortunately, there are no detailed step-by-step manual available, and I am unable to create it, because my knowledge is not enough.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

I tried an external microphone, but It didn't work my own dynamic microphone.
    I think that this product uses a condenser microphone.

It definitely uses the condenser microphone with phantom power. To say even more, it's internal microphone is connected electrically parallel to the external microphone socket, so connecting dynamic microphone will just shortcircuit it and make both unusable. Some people make a microphone jack with the switching contact, so then external mic inserted, internal will be switched off and don't collect car noise.

Meanwhile you may try any PC computer microphone, they fit ok. Only one problem to consider - HU mic connector is a mono type, so if computer mic do have a stereo connector, it may fit bad and signal pin (right channel) may be connected to the ground. If right and left are connected inside the jack, both will be connected to ground and mic don't work.
    Firmware with the root, red inscription removed. The work has been verified. You can bet on any T8. https://yadi.sk/d/UUxMzhZz3QXE6K

The firmware does not have one file, b1604ca8-7757-11e7-906d-3390eed0c0c2 file missing!

Please return the file to the archive with the firmware. Thank you.

Here is a link to the entire firmware from the author's mod V9.2.2_20171026.152904_KED1-mod