UMI - Install Custom Recovery (TWRP, CWM etc.) and Root

Search This thread

bencebacsi

Mar 5, 2010
Budapest
community.umidigi.com
How to install a custom recovery image and root access on MediaTek based UMI smartphones without loosing your data

This is a general solution for all MTK UMI phones, so you won't find all needed resources (ROM packages) here

twrp.jpg

This tutorial will guide you through the process of installing a custom recovery image on your MediaTek based UMI smartphone and then get root access (if needed) with the assistance of the custom recovery.

Please note:
- Custom recovery images of different Android versions are not always interchangeable. For example, you can't install an Android 5.0 recovery on a 4.4 system and so on.
- At most of the devices, after flashing the TWRP image, first you have to boot into recovery (TWRP) or the stock recovery will be restored.
- At some devices, after flashing TWRP, first you have to root your phone (install SuperSU) or it won't be able to boot into the system.
- Once you've rooted your device, you won't be able to install OTA updates anymore but the only way to update your phone is flashing with SP Flash Tool. Flashing a stock ROM (with the stock recovery) will make you able to install OTA updates again.
- At some devices (or specific ROM versions), when powering on your phone to boot into TWRP (power + vol-up), after about 3 seconds, you have to release the power button (even if your screen is still black) and keep only the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP welcome screen pops up or the recovery will be skipped and your phone will boot into the system.

What you need:

Driver for Preloader USB VCOM mode: Windows 10 already can automatically install it or you can use this: MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe

SP Flash Tool application: SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1712.rar

An SPFT ROM package for your specific device, that you can download in UMi's ROM section.

A custom recovery image that fits your phone:
UMI Zero: UMI_ZERO_TWRP_2.8.2_recovery.img
UMI eMAX: TWRP_2.8.1.0_UMI_EMAX_4.4.4_284X_v2_recovery.img for Android 4.4 or UMI_eMAX_TWRP2.8.7.0_lollipop.img for Android 5.x.
UMI Hammer: UMI_Hammer_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.img
UMI Hammer S: HammerS_TWRP_2.8.7.3.img (not tested on real device)
UMI Fair: CWM_Umi_Fair.img (created by megthebest)
UMI Iron: UMI_Iron_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.img
UMI Iron Pro: UMI_Iron_Pro_TWRP-2.8.70_recovery.img (created by megthebest)
UMI Rome: TWRP_2.8.7_Umi_Rome.img (created by megthebest)
UMI Rome X: TWRP3.0.0RomeX.img (created by megthebest)
UMI Touch: Touch_TWRP_3.0.2.img or CWM_6.0.5.1_UMI_touch.img
UMI Touch X: TWRP_302_for_UMI_Touch_X_201605171.img (created by megthebest and jemmini)
UMI Super: TWRP_3.02_UMI_Super.img (created by megthebest and jemmini)
UMI London: TWRP_302_UMI_London.V3.01_20160612.img (created by jemmini)
UMI MAX: TWRP_302_UMI_MAX.V1.01_20160819.img (created by jemmini)
UMI Plus: TWRP_302_UMI_PLUS.V3.01_20161019.img (created by jemmini)
UMI Plus E: PlusE_TWRP_303_V3.01_20170112.img (created by jemmini)
UMI Z and Z Pro: TWRP_303_UMI_Z.V3.01_20170116.img (created by jemmini)
UMIDIGI C Note: C_Note_TWRP-3.1.1-0_NoTouch.img (created by joe2k01) - no touch screen support, you can control it with an OTG mouse (use a wireless one)

Newer models will be added later.

Super SU installation package: SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip or you can find the latest versions HERE

Now I'm going to guide you through the whole process, using a UMI Touch and TWRP recovery.
You can use the same method on other models but the UI and some features of the CWM recovery are different.

Charge the battery of your phone to at least 50% and turn it off before starting this process.

1. Install the MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe driver (if your system cannot download and install the drivers automatically).

2. Extract the SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1712.rar file and run flash_tool.exe.

3. Extract the content of the ROM archive, that you downloaded for your specific phone in the ROM section.*
*Beside the recovery image file, just only a compatible scatter file is mostly enough for this process but not always without editing it. So please strictly follow the instructions below and use a full ROM package together with the scatter file inside its folder. Don't use a such setup where not all partitions are loaded.

4. Open the scatter file, that you can find in the ROM folder.
sp_scatload.jpg

5. Leave only the recovery line checked, then double click on its Location field and brows for your device specific custom recovery image file, that you can find in the list above.
sp_choose_recovery.jpg

6. Click on the Download button and connect your phone to a USB port of your computer. The flashing process will start automatically and it needs just a few seconds.*
*At some models you have to press one of the volume buttons while connecting to USB but most of them don't need it and you mustn't press any of the buttons.
sp_finish.jpg

7. Now the custom recovery has been flashed. You may remove the USB cable. You can boot your phone into recovery by powering it on while pressing the volume up button. After your phone is powered on, release the power key but still keep the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP boot screen pops up.
At some models this action starts the bootloader mode and you can boot into recovery from its menu. In such menus you can navigate with the vol-up button and select an item with the vol-down button.
*At some models you HAVE TO boot your phone into recovery at the first power on that follows the TWRP flashing or the original stock recovery will be restored by the system. So that's always better to start with booting into recovery after the flashing process finished.

Root your phone by SuperSU with TWRP

Step 1.
Boot your phone into recovery and connect it to a USB port of that computer, where you store the downloaded SuperSU installation zip file. Copy that file to the Internal storage of your phone. After finished, you may remove the USB cable.
supersu_location.jpg

Step 2.
Select Install - Before you process the further steps, I suggest you to make a backup of your Data and Nvram partition or the whole system.
tw_install.jpg

Step 3.
Select the Internal Storage, then brows for the SuperSU .zip file.
tw_select_su.jpg

Step 4.
  • On the next screen don't check any of the options, just swipe right the bottom slider to start the installation process.
  • Wait until the installation finishes. It needs just a few seconds, not a long time.
tw_start_install.jpg

Step 5.
Click on Wipe cache/dalvik (swipe right), then Reboot System.
Warning! Don't wipe the cache if you use a not fully compatible TWRP image (such ported ones without touch screen support and with other bugs), just select Reboot System or your action may drive to a boot loop.
tw_wipe.jpg

Step 6.
Wait until your system boots up. Now your phone has root access. You can check your status with Root Checker.
root_check.jpg

All the screenshots are captured and the guide is written by me for UMI users. Unauthorized copy of this content is prohibited.

Please let me know if you find errors or missing info.

Thank you for your attention,

bencebacsi

Last edited:

pogipogi

Jul 2, 2014
Very nice tutorial

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Keep on sharing ?

Umiuser

Jul 19, 2016
Unlock Bootloader ?

Is it necessary to unlock the bootloader before starting?
Unlocking the bootloader on the UMI Super seems to be a problem....
Thanks

kubafu

Sep 8, 2016
Hi,
Please add the UMI MAX recovery image. I want to root the phone and install ViperAudio for a system wide Equalizer.
Thanks.

megthebest

Jul 18, 2014
goo.gl
Hi,
Please add the UMI MAX recovery image. I want to root the phone and install ViperAudio for a system wide Equalizer.
Thanks.
i built Twrp for Max... but touch not working for kernel issue.. so you must use OTG mouse with Type C adaptor to use TWRP.
if you need, i will share soon.. or we need to wait a fix from my friend jemmini..
regards

megthebest

Jul 18, 2014
goo.gl
Thank you but that doesn't needed. UMi MAX is the same phone as the Super, just with less ROM and RAM.
Different kernel indeed and different touch screen.. I messed up touch trying to use kernel from Super.. Now touch screen is messed up/uncalibrated and is not fixable anymore (touch firmware seems to be corrupted by kernel)... So i need how to restore Max to his brand new config, because flashing rom or making an hard reset didn't help.. I'm in contact with jemmini, to understand if is possible to restore corrupted touch firmware...
If you have some advice or tool to fix goodix touch screen, i will be grateful...Thanks

P. S. Twrp of Super messed up Touch Screen, so don't use it on Max
Sent by Mi5 64Gb

bencebacsi

Mar 5, 2010
Budapest
community.umidigi.com
Different kernel indeed and different touch screen.. I messed up touch trying to use kernel from Super.. Now touch screen is messed up/uncalibrated and is not fixable anymore (touch firmware seems to be corrupted by kernel)... So i need how to restore Max to his brand new config, because flashing rom or making an hard reset didn't help.. I'm in contact with jemmini, to understand if is possible to restore corrupted touch firmware...
If you have some advice or tool to fix goodix touch screen, i will be grateful...Thanks

P. S. Twrp of Super messed up Touch Screen, so don't use it on Max
Sent by Mi5 64Gb

Thank you for your information, it's very important and I'm sorry for your trouble.
I have the same issue with my MAX test device but I received it some weeks ago directly from UMi with an earlier ROM version, so I just thought, it's a pre-release, not the final version with a different touch panel. This case is very weird since the Super is perfectly compatible with the MAX ROM, even the touch screen as well. Actually the MAX V1.01_20160819 ROM is installed on my UMi Super test device and everything work fine. So, after completely formatting my MAX and installing the stock ROM again with SPFT, I didn't think the Super's TWRP recovery caused the issue. Now it's confirmed, so I'm continuing to find a solution.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to install a custom recovery image and root access on MediaTek based UMI smartphones without loosing your data

This is a general solution for all MTK UMI phones, so you won't find all needed resources (ROM packages) here

twrp.jpg

This tutorial will guide you through the process of installing a custom recovery image on your MediaTek based UMI smartphone and then get root access (if needed) with the assistance of the custom recovery.

Please note:
    - Custom recovery images of different Android versions are not always interchangeable. For example, you can't install an Android 5.0 recovery on a 4.4 system and so on.
    - At most of the devices, after flashing the TWRP image, first you have to boot into recovery (TWRP) or the stock recovery will be restored.
    - At some devices, after flashing TWRP, first you have to root your phone (install SuperSU) or it won't be able to boot into the system.
    - Once you've rooted your device, you won't be able to install OTA updates anymore but the only way to update your phone is flashing with SP Flash Tool. Flashing a stock ROM (with the stock recovery) will make you able to install OTA updates again.
    - At some devices (or specific ROM versions), when powering on your phone to boot into TWRP (power + vol-up), after about 3 seconds, you have to release the power button (even if your screen is still black) and keep only the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP welcome screen pops up or the recovery will be skipped and your phone will boot into the system.

What you need:

Driver for Preloader USB VCOM mode: Windows 10 already can automatically install it or you can use this: MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe

SP Flash Tool application: SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1712.rar

An SPFT ROM package for your specific device, that you can download in UMi's ROM section.

A custom recovery image that fits your phone:
    UMI Zero: UMI_ZERO_TWRP_2.8.2_recovery.img
    UMI eMAX: TWRP_2.8.1.0_UMI_EMAX_4.4.4_284X_v2_recovery.img for Android 4.4 or UMI_eMAX_TWRP2.8.7.0_lollipop.img for Android 5.x.
    UMI Hammer: UMI_Hammer_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.img
    UMI Hammer S: HammerS_TWRP_2.8.7.3.img (not tested on real device)
    UMI Fair: CWM_Umi_Fair.img (created by megthebest)
    UMI Iron: UMI_Iron_TWRP_2.8.7_recovery.img
    UMI Iron Pro: UMI_Iron_Pro_TWRP-2.8.70_recovery.img (created by megthebest)
    UMI Rome: TWRP_2.8.7_Umi_Rome.img (created by megthebest)
    UMI Rome X: TWRP3.0.0RomeX.img (created by megthebest)
    UMI Touch: Touch_TWRP_3.0.2.img or CWM_6.0.5.1_UMI_touch.img
    UMI Touch X: TWRP_302_for_UMI_Touch_X_201605171.img (created by megthebest and jemmini)
    UMI Super: TWRP_3.02_UMI_Super.img (created by megthebest and jemmini)
    UMI London: TWRP_302_UMI_London.V3.01_20160612.img (created by jemmini)
    UMI MAX: TWRP_302_UMI_MAX.V1.01_20160819.img (created by jemmini)
    UMI Plus: TWRP_302_UMI_PLUS.V3.01_20161019.img (created by jemmini)
    UMI Plus E: PlusE_TWRP_303_V3.01_20170112.img (created by jemmini)
    UMI Z and Z Pro: TWRP_303_UMI_Z.V3.01_20170116.img (created by jemmini)
    UMIDIGI C Note: C_Note_TWRP-3.1.1-0_NoTouch.img (created by joe2k01) - no touch screen support, you can control it with an OTG mouse (use a wireless one)

Newer models will be added later.

Super SU installation package: SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip or you can find the latest versions HERE

Now I'm going to guide you through the whole process, using a UMI Touch and TWRP recovery.
    You can use the same method on other models but the UI and some features of the CWM recovery are different.

Charge the battery of your phone to at least 50% and turn it off before starting this process.

1. Install the MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe driver (if your system cannot download and install the drivers automatically).

2. Extract the SP_Flash_Tool_v5.1712.rar file and run flash_tool.exe.

3. Extract the content of the ROM archive, that you downloaded for your specific phone in the ROM section.*
    *Beside the recovery image file, just only a compatible scatter file is mostly enough for this process but not always without editing it. So please strictly follow the instructions below and use a full ROM package together with the scatter file inside its folder. Don't use a such setup where not all partitions are loaded.

4. Open the scatter file, that you can find in the ROM folder.
    sp_scatload.jpg

5. Leave only the recovery line checked, then double click on its Location field and brows for your device specific custom recovery image file, that you can find in the list above.
    sp_choose_recovery.jpg

6. Click on the Download button and connect your phone to a USB port of your computer. The flashing process will start automatically and it needs just a few seconds.*
    *At some models you have to press one of the volume buttons while connecting to USB but most of them don't need it and you mustn't press any of the buttons.
    sp_finish.jpg

7. Now the custom recovery has been flashed. You may remove the USB cable. You can boot your phone into recovery by powering it on while pressing the volume up button. After your phone is powered on, release the power key but still keep the vol-up button pressed until the TWRP boot screen pops up.
    At some models this action starts the bootloader mode and you can boot into recovery from its menu. In such menus you can navigate with the vol-up button and select an item with the vol-down button.
    *At some models you HAVE TO boot your phone into recovery at the first power on that follows the TWRP flashing or the original stock recovery will be restored by the system. So that's always better to start with booting into recovery after the flashing process finished.

Root your phone by SuperSU with TWRP

Step 1.
    Boot your phone into recovery and connect it to a USB port of that computer, where you store the downloaded SuperSU installation zip file. Copy that file to the Internal storage of your phone. After finished, you may remove the USB cable.
    supersu_location.jpg

Step 2.
    Select Install - Before you process the further steps, I suggest you to make a backup of your Data and Nvram partition or the whole system.
    tw_install.jpg

Step 3.
    Select the Internal Storage, then brows for the SuperSU .zip file.
    tw_select_su.jpg

Step 4.
    • On the next screen don't check any of the options, just swipe right the bottom slider to start the installation process.
    • Wait until the installation finishes. It needs just a few seconds, not a long time.
    tw_start_install.jpg

Step 5.
    Click on Wipe cache/dalvik (swipe right), then Reboot System.
    Warning! Don't wipe the cache if you use a not fully compatible TWRP image (such ported ones without touch screen support and with other bugs), just select Reboot System or your action may drive to a boot loop.
    tw_wipe.jpg

Step 6.
    Wait until your system boots up. Now your phone has root access. You can check your status with Root Checker.
    root_check.jpg

All the screenshots are captured and the guide is written by me for UMI users. Unauthorized copy of this content is prohibited.

Please let me know if you find errors or missing info.

Thank you for your attention,

bencebacsi
    TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI London

TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI London

Based on Android 6.0 firmware ver. UMI_London.V3.01 / Sun Jun 12 20:12:39 CST 2016
    TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI Plus

TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI Plus

Based on Android 6.0 firmware ver. UMI_PLUS.V3.01_20161019

WARNING!! Strictly follow these installation instruction!

Install:
    1. Flash the recovery.img using SP FlashTool
    2. Enter into TWRP and Install the patch "SuperSU 2.78"
    3. Reboot to the system
    TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI MAX

TWRP 3.0.2 for UMI MAX

Based on Android 6.0 firmware ver. UMI MAX.V1.01_20160819

WARNING!! Strictly follow these installation instruction!

Install:
    1. Flash the recovery.img using SP FlashTool
    2. Enter into TWRP and Install the patch "SuperSU 2.76"
    3. Reboot to the system
    Hí.
    Is it possible to add Umi Plus??
    Best Regards

yes, maybe..